Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Moutinho, a non Wolves appreciation.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Class player one of the best I've ever seen play for Wolves (if not the best) I had my doubts if he would be able to do another season at this level at his age but has completely proven me wrong!

One thing being seriously talented but he is also an exceptional professional...

Just a fantastic footballer...

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Class player one of the best I've ever seen play for Wolves (if not the best) I had my doubts if he would be able to do another season at this level at his age but has completely proven me wrong!

One thing being seriously talented but he is also an exceptional professional...

Just a fantastic footballer...
I only started following us in 89 but he is without doubt the best player I've seen in gold and black.

Not sure theres anyone close tbh. Jens Dowe maybe?

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
seems a strange comparison to make from 2 different roles, of course Fernandes is gonna have a lower pass % rate, he was more advanced and I'd expect the more advanced players to take more risks. Joao was in the engine room doing the dirty work and keeping it simple by the looks of it.
Moutinho is great and probably having his best season since joining us in my opinion.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is so important .
Neto , Trincao and Silva will know he is very influential in the Portuguese set up and IMO will be for all their playing careers, in coaching and management.
Behave and work hard at Wolves , impress this man .

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a poor season (by his standards) 20/21 season - but so did most of the team!

He’s certainly looked back to somewhat near his best for us this season though.

I started going to Wolves in ‘92, but I’m fairly certain he’s tied with Neves for the best player I’ve seen in the Old Gold in that time. Obviously there are other notable contenders, but these two really are top top players.

Sincerely hope we don’t have to replace either Ruben or Joao this summer.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've all said for ages on here we need a another mf. If we go with a 5 then with only 2 mf I assume the one we want replacing is Moutinho? I suppose if we switch to a 4 next season we want an upgrade on Dendonker? Either way we need one new quality mf in the summer and that's assuming (hoping) Neves stays.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Asides from being a classy midfielder Joao Moutinho is a great person. Sorry that being thick as two short planks computer wise I cannot post a link but I recommend a trip to YouTube to watch " Joao Moutinho surprises his biggest and bravest fan Archie " who was a Wolves mascot versus Leeds it is truly a heart warming and moving piece.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Asides from being a classy midfielder Joao Moutinho is a great person. Sorry that being thick as two short planks computer wise I cannot post a link but I recommend a trip to YouTube to watch " Joao Moutinho surprises his biggest and bravest fan Archie " who was a Wolves mascot versus Leeds it is truly a heart warming and moving piece.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
seems a strange comparison to make from 2 different roles, of course Fernandes is gonna have a lower pass % rate, he was more advanced and I'd expect the more advanced players to take more risks.
I think what is says for Wolves is that however much we desire a forward-looking, classy, dribbling, running midfielder....even if we get one we need a Moutinho behind him to tidy up, retain ball control, direct play.

Out of contract, in a World Cup year and a seeming starter for Portugal, he will be looking for a final massive payday post-World Cup.
We should make Moutinho's replacement a top priority, but he was a rare find and we will be lucky to get one so good.
I remember when we got him for 5 mill (and some people said "who is he?") and remembered the time's he'd been a thorn in England's side every time we played Portugal, metronomic control, tidying up and frustrating the hell out of us. Our best transfer steal, moreso than Neves or Jimenez.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've all said for ages on here we need a another mf. If we go with a 5 then with only 2 mf I assume the one we want replacing is Moutinho? I suppose if we switch to a 4 next season we want an upgrade on Dendonker? Either way we need one new quality mf in the summer and that's assuming (hoping) Neves stays.
Just an upgrade on the Donk…

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think what is says for Wolves is that however much we desire a forward-looking, classy, dribbling, running midfielder....even if we get one we need a Moutinho behind him to tidy up, retain ball control, direct play.

Out of contract, in a World Cup year and a seeming starter for Portugal, he will be looking for a final massive payday post-World Cup.
We should make Moutinho's replacement a top priority, but he was a rare find and we will be lucky to get one so good.
I remember when we got him for 5 mill (and some people said "who is he?") and remembered the time's he'd been a thorn in England's side every time we played Portugal, metronomic control, tidying up and frustrating the hell out of us. Our best transfer steal, moreso than Neves or Jimenez.
I’m not calling B/S but I can’t remember ANYONE not knowing who Moutinho was. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not calling B/S but I can’t remember ANYONE not knowing who Moutinho was. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
It was on here...I cant search the archives very well, drives me potty.

There was also the Twitter one about Jota that I also can't find...another unknown portugese kid who no-one's heard of, why can't we get good players.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I love Moutinho- he has one, consistent, metronomic way of playing and he sticks to it through thick and thin. That has got him 144 caps and almost 1000 top tier games so why would he ever change?

He has his limitations, he can be easily dribbled past by bigger faster players and he doesn't make a massive contribution in the final third but he does what he does well and is very reliable in doing it.

R

reanswolf

Underappreciated? Unsung hero?

Not Joao Moutinho. Of course he cannot go on forever but he is simply wonderful............and we all know it!

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always makes me laugh when Moutinho commits a blatant foul, then looks shocked and like there has been some great injustice when a free kick is given.

Undoubtedly a great player. I think I'll always look back on this period and wonder what might have been had we had a creative attacking midfielder to play in front of Neves and Moutinho.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There was also the Twitter one about Jota that I also can't find...another unknown portugese kid who no-one's heard of, why can't we get good players.

Heh heh, I can own up - it was me! I didn't know who Moutinho was, at first. :eek: A few minutes looking him up on Youtube and I did "kind of" remember him. That's what's strange - I must have watched Portugal with him playing at least 5 or 6 times, including the Euro win, of course. Probably saw him at club level a few times, too, just never made a memorable impression, that's how unclued-up I am.

In contrast, I knew about Jota a while before we signed him. Saw him aged around 18 playing the Champions League for Porto, totally destroying Leicester (must have been the season after they won the league). He stood out then as something really special. When, listening to radio, I heard we signed him, I thought it must be that other Jota - the rubbish one who played for Blues (and Villa, later, I think?). I'd joked "if only we signed that other Jota, the one from Porto, he's going to be world class". Couldn't believe it when it turned out it was the "real" Jota.

Last confession, I hadn't heard of Neves, either, though must have watched him a couple of times for Porto, but passed me by.

PS Even funnier, Nuno was Porto's ,manager in that Porto Leicester match, yet I couldn't remember Nuno either, when he joined. Must be old age. :oops:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’d never heard of Jota :pensive:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to say his fitness levels are remarkable. Puts some younger players to shame.
Has looked after himself his whole career. Scary to think that he's not much different agewise to Shrek who looks old enough to be his dad....

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would go as far as to say this has been his best season with us. He’s simply a machine. Wonderful footballer, top draw professional, great man.

We will really miss him when he goes.

Pound for pound, after Bully, hard to think of a better value signing.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn’t believe it really. He found so much space today when Villa had an extra man in there.
Technically the best player I’ve ever seen wear our shirt. Skips round the field like he’s playing on a playground as an 8 year old. Will be such a sad day when he leaves. I just hope we get to give him the send off he deserves.

Back
Top Bottom