Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MOTD Tonight

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Actually, it should have been a red even if it narrowly missed him. (Which it might have done from some angles).

If he was in control, why did his studs stay up there? You say he’s in control, so he chooses, in a controlled manner, to leave his studs ankle high while flying through the air followed by across the turf (yes he does briefly leave the ground with both feet).
That should be a red whether he connects or not.
No it probably wouldn’t have been examined closely enough for the review to have happened if there hadn’t have been contact, but the reckless challenge happened regardless.

Plenty of players have been sent off for a no-contact lunge.
Its not as if the distance between ball contact and mouts contact is 10 feet and 3 seconds!! It's all in a split second!

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Eh? So what?
You said why leave his studs up after the ball is won but it's in the same motion.

I agree mate but in this case then if to high during then it's too high from the start and should be punished regardless of the outcome.... But it never will be is my point, unless there's contact.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You said why leave his studs up after the ball is won but it's in the same motion.

I agree mate but in this case then if to high during then it's too high from the start and should be punished regardless of the outcome.... But it never will be is my point, unless there's contact.

Richarlison got sent off near end of the derby, did he even connect? That was a 2 foot toes pointing up lunge, not sure that hit him.

Edit: I’ll own up to misremembering that, definitely hit him high in the shin.

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
My penny worth re red card:
What makes these kind of tackles deserving of a red is when you go in with a straight leg/ locked knee and you have your full weight going at speed in a straight line. Even if you win the ball you are then always going to follow through in a dangerous manner.
Sliding tackles are fine if done more sideways with a kicking action as if you make contact with the other player your own knee absorbers some of the contact.
Exactly this. He should have either come in left footed for the tackle or attempted to get the laces of his right foot. Straight leg studs up whatever height is a red, has been for a long time in my opinion.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. He should have either come in left footed for the tackle or attempted to get the laces of his right foot. Straight leg studs up whatever height is a red, has been for a long time in my opinion.
Even more surprising then that there was no protest at the time by any wolves player.....

Or ref....

Until he blew for the mouts being polaxed. From that is how it unraveled yet given your stance in amazed there wasn't a stewards enquiry from the second he won the ball

BuzzWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Even more surprising then that there was no protest at the time by any wolves player.....

Or ref....

Until he blew for the mouts being polaxed. From that is how it unraveled yet given your stance in amazed there wasn't a stewards enquiry from the second he won the ball
Did he get sent off?

Must have been a red then.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, so without contact on mouts it's a red that needs showing for the risk involved. That's what I'm trying to ascertain from certain posters who have criticised the motion 'before' the won the ball and yes before contact
No I don’t think so.
The player is responsible for his actions, if he makes contact then he faces the consequences.
A high boot is only punished of someone else is trying to head the ball.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
He endangered an opponent. I don't think it was intentional and he was a bit unlucky to have made the contact with Moutinho's ankle in the way he did, but it's the risk you run when you go in like that. Red card 100% correct, absolutely no doubt.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we always moan they ignore us.
Looks like we’re first on tonight ...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
It's over now. Wrighty says Fabio will become a goalscorer. There's hope. (Time frame not specified)

Kford

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don’t care if we are on first or last as will not be watching that abysmal performance from us. Wi

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t care if we are on first or last as will not be watching that abysmal performance from us. Wi
Gonna switch off TV at half time and leave it at that ;)

That played well for 15 minutes of 1st half and did well to come back to be 2-1 up after a bad start as in last 3 games. Anyone realise it's turned completely around. The TV commentators used to point out that Wolves always score more goals in the second half of a game.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It just seems everything that can go wrong is going wrong. The tide will change and so will our luck.

Definitely, we have had a run of incredible bad luck going back even to the Villa game. The only thing I'm not sure of - is this balancing out the good luck before (not having injuries for 3 seasons, for example...loaning a forgotten striker who turns out to be world class etc) . Or are we due some good luck starting soon? How about a VAR decision in our favour v Leicester? No, that could never happen.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No mention of the decisions in the analysis. Very convenient
That is the difference between us and Man U. If that was Man U that Albion beat 3-2 absolutely identically, every goal against Man U would be carefully analysed. Even if , as they often do, they end with a "well, I've seen them not given". But the hint would be that a lower team only beats Man U with dubious decisions.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We ****ed ourselves over today. Why are we always looking for excuses after every loss of what has been a pathetic season so far by the club? Yes we have had some **** decisions go against us but that doesnt mask the fact our defending is now **** and we dont score anywhere near enough goals and have a central midfield which must be the slowest in the league.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
It just seems everything that can go wrong is going wrong. The tide will change and so will our luck.
I do hope so. Bitter experience though is that you start playing well and being unlucky and then as confidence goes you play worse and luck doesn't matter. I'd say we're a fair way down that road. We've been the better team for my money v Villa, Brighton, Everton and again today. You can't keep blaming luck or the officials though, our problems have come from continual individual errors and a lack of confidence leads to poor decision making. Some tough weeks still ahead, need to be strong.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Definitely, we have had a run of incredible bad luck going back even to the Villa game. The only thing I'm not sure of - is this balancing out the good luck before (not having injuries for 3 seasons, for example...loaning a forgotten striker who turns out to be world class etc) . Or are we due some good luck starting soon? How about a VAR decision in our favour v Leicester? No, that could never happen.
It definitely feels like we're short of luck. We were the better team against both Everton and the Baggies imo. If expected goals is your bag, the bods at understat marked it down as 0.85 v 0.32 (Wol v Eve) and 1.94 v 1.06 (Wol v WB) stripping out the penalties which weren't leading to chances in the slightest. We scored 3 (about par for our chances) but somehow conceded 5 over those two games with Patricio barely worked

Having said all that the old adages about luck are generally true and when we do get a bit of luck (the Burn o.g. followed by conceding a silly penalty 5mins later) we're currently squandering it in quick sharp time. Same again today. None of the West Brom goals today were clean ones but neither were ours and thought we got the run of the ball for both. We should have capitalised and kicked on in the second-half but repeated the mistakes of Brighton

Last edited:

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We ****ed ourselves over today. Why are we always looking for excuses after every loss of what has been a pathetic season so far by the club? Yes we have had some **** decisions go against us but that doesnt mask the fact our defending is now **** and we dont score anywhere near enough goals and have a central midfield which must be the slowest in the league.
Not excuses. Incompetent or currupt officials, I can't decide which, cost us dearly today. Fabio was buzzing after his goal, Neto and Traore were tearing them new ones. We should be laughing tonight and looking forwards to more goals.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll recover from this injustice and things will begin to turn in our favour. We were no where near as bad as some have made out.
I was as dumbfounded as others were, when that first penalty was awarded.
The instant whistle, without any hesitation, was surreal and my vocal reaction of 'never in this world' , must have resonated throughout the neighbourhood!
Our response was VERY encouraging and we took control. To then concede twice more in the 2nd half was inexcusable and the second penalty, along with the inability to defend from a long throw in, just exacerbated our indiscipline, for which we paid the ultimate price.
However, we WILL regroup and bounce back.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It definitely feels like we're short of luck. We were the better team against both Everton and the Baggies imo. If expected goals is your bag, the bods at understat marked it down as 0.85 v 0.32 (Wol v Eve) and 1.94 v 1.06 (Wol v WB) stripping out the penalties which weren't leading to chances in the slightest. We scored 3 (about par for our chances) but somehow conceded 5 over those two games with Patricio barely worked

Having said all that the old adages about luck are generally true and when we do get a bit of luck (the Burn o.g. followed by conceding a silly penalty 5mins later) we're currently squandering it in quick sharp time. Same again today. None of the West Brom goals today were clean ones but neither were ours and thought we got the run of the ball for both. We should have capitalised and kicked on in the second-half but repeated the mistakes of Brighton

Yep, agree with all that. Though on XG, they are countered by us being down v Chelsea and Brighton yet getting 4 points. So it is all balancing out and at present our position is a fair reflection overall.

We don't look at all confident defending leads at the moment either. Possibly because our fall back option has always been to sit deep and hit on the counter once we are in the lead. Which worked when we had a rock solid defence. But at the moment, is getting caught out every time. Can only assume we played Arsenal at the worst of their dip, they've clearly got their act together since then and right now, we would not be able to hold a 2-1 lead like we did back then.

The only way we look like winning at the moment is if we can get to 85 minutes level and get a late winner, like v Chelsea!

Regarding luck of ref decisions, seems Nuno's comments have upset those pompous oafs, so we can expect everything that can go against us will go against us from now on.

You have to make your own luck. The best way for us to snap out of it, I think, is to revert to the 3-5-2 (or 3-4-3), focus entirely on defense, sort out our defensive set piece problems. And loan an experienced striker :D

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why do people who object to others complaining about decisions always say ‘stop making excuses’?

Surely it’s possible to be dissatisfied with the performance and then, separately, object to the refereeing decisions?

They were abysmal (as were Wolves) and crucial to our performance. If they go our way instead and we don’t face two iffy penalties / get a pen for handball, then that massively impacts our confidence levels, and subsequently performance.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
Their 2nd penalty wouldn’t have happened had the foul on Semedo right on the edge of the area been given.

Well, I say foul, more like he was wiped out. How Oliver missed it but couldn’t get his whistle in his gob fast enough for the penalty the other end 40 secs later was scandalous. Same thing happened against the Villa.

drewsie

Groupie
Reaction score
However, let’s not kid ourselves too much (s*** ref decision aside), we well and truly bottled it yesterday. To lose to that shower is an absolute embarrassment.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score
We'll recover from this injustice and things will begin to turn in our favour. We were no where near as bad as some have made out.
I was as dumbfounded as others were, when that first penalty was awarded.
The instant whistle, without any hesitation, was surreal and my vocal reaction of 'never in this world' , must have resonated throughout the neighbourhood!
Our response was VERY encouraging and we took control. To then concede twice more in the 2nd half was inexcusable and the second penalty, along with the inability to defend from a long throw in, just exacerbated our indiscipline, for which we paid the ultimate price.
However, we WILL regroup and bounce back.
Totally agree, good post

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were lucky donk wasn't sent off for dangerous play and Silva dived trying to win a pen

Decisions by and large we correct, only first pen could be debated, it isn't a pen for the handball situation, we forget Silva had his eyes on the keeper only when the ball was coming down and made no real attempt to challenge so that was a foul before the ball went straight at Gibbs, yes hit his hands but from a yard away and didn't change the direction of the ball of his hands weren't there as it would have hit his stomach. We'd go mental if given against us! Second pen was nailed on.

We were the benefactors of our own downfall for 99% of the game, sloppy and untidy and albion punished that and pressured us to the point we fell apart

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No mention of the decisions in the analysis. Very convenient
whether the Ref /VAR got them right or not both their pens and our possible one were all marginal calls, and at least worthy of some mention/discussion in the analysis but no nothing all 3 decisions had a massive effect on the outcome of the game

Back
Top Bottom