Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No better or worse than Neto and Podence today. None of them had a good game though, imo. Nothing came off for any of them.
Hmm.. I would say Neto was well in the game, but end product was not usual standard.
MGW about 50% of what he did came off, but overall positive and trying to make things happen.
Podence, decent first 10 mins and then I can’t recall him not giving the ball away once in the following 80 mins.. very very poor.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly play him where Podence tries and often fails, we cant afford 2 players that try the tricks and flicks MGW is not a winger which is where Bruno has played him twice so far, if we want the best out of him then play him in his best position.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly play him where Podence tries and often fails, we cant afford 2 players that try the tricks and flicks MGW is not a winger which is where Bruno has played him twice so far, if we want the best out of him then play him in his best position.
100%, pushing him on the wing isn't helping. He's not a winger, all the success he had last season came from playing as a second striker/#10.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%, pushing him on the wing isn't helping. He's not a winger, all the success he had last season came from playing as a second striker/#10.

He should be playing number 10, with Neto and Guedes either side, and a powerful striker ahead of him. Podence on the bench as cover, along with Hwang.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I defended him last week, when I thought he did OK. He wasn't awful today, but one moment where he brilliantly threw a dummy to send his markers the wrong way and then in loads of space tried another trick and gave the ball away summed him up. Yes he might be a bit better more centrally, but he's not playing as a 'winger' either. I'd like him in the squad, I respect that he works hard coming back, but I don't think his value will ever exceed what Forest have offered. Most of all I'd say if the funds from him are going to pay for someone who scores goals then we have to cash in on him.

Reaction score
Too many tricks, gives the ball away too cheaply and spits his dummy out if he thinks he's been fouled and doesn't get the decision. I'd hoped the spell at Forest had addressed those shortcomings clearly it hasn't, if you're going to sell him now is the time while he's at the top of his value.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never been his biggest fan but thought he was decent today and put him self about plenty. I just wish he'd reign in those bloody fancy flicks that rarely come off!
He does so much good stuff and then seems to undo it all, with a totally unnecessary and lairy flick, that gifts the ball back to our opponents, when we had been in good areas of the pitch!

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see any discernable improvement in the 2 games from the back end of Nunos last season when he got a few games. If Forest were offering 30m+ think we are crazy for turning them down, particularly if that money could be reinvested in the positions we need in central midfield and a genuine centre forward.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Crazy amount of money for a player that misses from 4 yards

Offers the most of the front 4 at the moment though

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling how anyone can watch that game of football today and come to the conclusion that Gibbs-White was poor.

The lad is a breath of fresh air to watching the predictable, slow, formulaic build-up play we’ve seen for the last 2 seasons.

He plays with instinct, with quick touches and creativity that we just haven’t seen for a long time.

And not only that, he has the work rate too!

Give it a few more games for him to get used to the players around him, and vice-versa and we have one hell of a player on our hands.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling how anyone can watch that game of football today and come to the conclusion that Gibbs-White was poor.

The lad is a breath of fresh air to watching the predictable, slow, formulaic build-up play we’ve seen for the last 2 seasons.

He plays with instinct, with quick touches and creativity that we just haven’t seen for a long time.

And not only that, he has the work rate too!

Give it a few more games for him to get used to the players around him, and vice-versa and we have one hell of a player on our hands.
He’s one of the only players who looks to play quick football, one twos etc. The rest are either slow and ponderous or head down and run merchants. Rarely do our player pass the ball and then run into space awaiting the return. To me that’s basic football

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s one of the only players who looks to play quick football, one twos etc. The rest are either slow and ponderous or head down and run merchants. Rarely do our player pass the ball and then run into space awaiting the return. To me that’s basic football

I think he will link up with a central striker so well in that regard. Like watching Jota and Jimenez again!!

Could very well be a new striker, but add Jimenez into that team today and we win easily in my opinion.

floydstreet

Reaction score
One of our better players and agree with many I’d play him in the 10 role, podence was very poor today.
He ability to move the ball at speed, fluently, use one touch, give and go’s and some unpredictability is exactly what we need.
Best attacking player for me today, Neto getting closer to normal but c85%.
This lad can be central to our future and don’t underestimate how playing with a proper striker / target man would help.
Well played Morgan keep going

Geordie Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Too many tricks, gives the ball away too cheaply and spits his dummy out if he thinks he's been fouled and doesn't get the decision. I'd hoped the spell at Forest had addressed those shortcomings clearly it hasn't, if you're going to sell him now is the time while he's at the top of his value.
Spell at Forest? Am I being dumb here, or do I need to question everything you said above?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was average again.

I thought he did all he could on the miss at the stadium, just threw himself at it and was unlucky that it went over.

However, having watched the highlights it's an awful, awful miss.

Needs to improve but again, another who would benefit from having a striker.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When he reacted to Mitrovic he ruined one of his best pieces of play as Podence was potentially in.

He needs to copy Messi and just get up and carry on get in the box ignore challenges.

To me he is never a winger and needs to play Podences position if anything but I think one of those will be dropped for Guedes when we get a striker in or Jimenez fit.

floydstreet

Reaction score
He’s not being asked to be a winger, more an inside forward but also agree the 10 role can work for him. He won’t work if he’s on the touch line out right, need to come inside and disrupt but a great talent and key part of our squad and team this year.
But guess what he will have poor games and because he’s inventive and tries difficult passes (rather than easy options) sometimes it won’t come off. But we need some risk taking keep going Morgan

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

It's also basic coaching.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When he reacted to Mitrovic he ruined one of his best pieces of play as Podence was potentially in.

He needs to copy Messi and just get up and carry on get in the box ignore challenges.

To me he is never a winger and needs to play Podences position if anything but I think one of those will be dropped for Guedes when we get a striker in or Jimenez fit.

More easily said than done late in a game in 30 degree heat and up against a ****ed off Mitro… just saying.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He’s not being asked to be a winger, more an inside forward but also agree the 10 role can work for him. He won’t work if he’s on the touch line out right, need to come inside and disrupt but a great talent and key part of our squad and team this year.
But guess what he will have poor games and because he’s inventive and tries difficult passes (rather than easy options) sometimes it won’t come off. But we need some risk taking keep going Morgan
Although I agree that he'd probably be better in Podence's position and maybe (if still here) he would move there to make room for Guedes,it's going to hurt us more when he loses the ball too easily in the middle of the pitch.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I agree that he'd probably be better in Podence's position and maybe (if still here) he would move there to make room for Guedes,it's going to hurt us more when he loses the ball too easily in the middle of the pitch.
I mean... what's the alternative? Podence who also gives the ball away too easily in the middle of the pitch? I can see MGW being much more of a contributor centrally than Podence, who was very poor yesterday.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Players who take risks are more likely to get assists than those that play safe. Ofc they are also more likely to lose the ball. That is the risk you accept. For me the plus outweigh the negatives and from yesterday often there are occasions when he made great one two movements and other players weren’t clever enough to see.
So he’ll have to work at linkages with players, Raul for example will link with that really well .

The other option is we just play safe passing players, but given our lack of goals some unpredictability is fine by me

W

WasStefan

Probably nonsense but a Forest fan i know is adamant he’s signing for them and is ‘on his way’ whatever that means

I’d be very very surprised, so I think it’s rubbish

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean... what's the alternative? Podence who also gives the ball away too easily in the middle of the pitch? I can see MGW being much more of a contributor centrally than Podence, who was very poor yesterday.
Yes indeed, and it looks as though MGW is better defensively than Podence, which is a bonus - especially when playing centrally as link between defensive midfield and forward players.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He should be playing number 10, with Neto and Guedes either side, and a powerful striker ahead of him. Podence on the bench as cover, along with Hwang.
This. We'd cause teams problems with those 4. Ofc we also need a midfielder in but MGW would do some damage there. On the 'tricks n flicks' claim, I sometimes think us lot are still adjusting to life after Mick, attacking players have to try a few low percentage things or it's just predictable.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. We'd cause teams problems with those 4. Ofc we also need a midfielder in but MGW would do some damage there. On the 'tricks n flicks' claim, I sometimes think us lot are still adjusting to life after Mick, attacking players have to try a few low percentage things or it's just predictable.

I was going to say in response to one of those critical posts, is that you Mick? :)

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence normally tracks back, so I don't see it being a problem with him playing on the wing where he is more dangerous...

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It’s been difficult to assess Podence properly because he has been in and out of the team for various reasons and played in a variety of positions. I have seen him have very good games and very poor games.

What I would say at this moment in time is that he appears to be a bit of a luxury player. That’s fine if you do your fair share of producing and have moments of brilliance in games.

The problem for me, is these moments have become few and far between and we aren’t the sort of team that can afford to start a luxury player.

As for tracking back, I have noticed that there seems to be a delay in thought process and he seems to make a token gesture because he has given the ball away. Given his physicality, this usually results in a foul being committed through frustration and lack of ability to keep up with the breaking player.

One thing I noticed in particular yesterday was the commitment from MGW to get back and help the defence, if the ball had been lost. He made two or three fantastic sprints over distance to gain ground and successfully retrieve the ball or halt the break.

We need more of that from our forward players because in my view, there’s a distinct lack of it. All too often, it’s halfhearted token gestures, that at best lead to a foul.

In my view there is no starting place for Podence if we have everyone available. Not consistent enough and is responsible for too many soft opposition turnovers, in dangerous areas, which leads to us being outnumbered, having committed players forward.

Back
Top Bottom