Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be really surprised if he signs a new contract. I think he senses a real opportunity now. Refuse our contract offer and go to a Palace or Southampton on much bigger wages, or do a year here to run his contract down so he can both put pressure on wolves to sell or he gets a big move off the back of a good season in the prem.

I don't see what advantage he has to sign a contract extension with us now. The only advantage is the extra wages he will earn, but if he can live without that he will command a lot more bargaining power next season when he only has a year left on his existing deal.

If I was him I would not be signing a long term deal. He has been treated badly, other clubs may well value him more, his best tatic is to say let's see how this year goes then we can talk.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be really surprised if he signs a new contract. I think he senses a real opportunity now. Refuse our contract offer and go to a Palace or Southampton on much bigger wages, or do a year here to run his contract down so he can both put pressure on wolves to sell or he gets a big move off the back of a good season in the prem.

I don't see what advantage he has to sign a contract extension with us now. The only advantage is the extra wages he will earn, but if he can live without that he will command a lot more bargaining power next season when he only has a year left on his existing deal.

If I was him I would not be signing a long term deal. He has been treated badly, other clubs may well value him more, his best tatic is to say let's see how this year goes then we can talk.

hes a wolves boy through and through, im hoping a big wage packet and trust and belief gets him here long term, But i agree with you he has the power in his court right now.

One big season in the prem and hes really in the driving seat.

Got to do it in the prem though first

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing him in action in pre season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands, MGW is still realistically going to only get a sidewards move - at best.

So, it would be a big risk to not sign a deal and push for a move. Whilst he could do well at Forest for example, they could also go down and if he didn't play well he'd be in trouble.

Staying at Wolves would seem to be his best option if he was playing every week (which he should be).

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was getting absolutely slaughtered by the England fans on the Youtube stream.
I didn’t watch the game but 7 key passes, I’d love to see how many Donk did all season!

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands, MGW is still realistically going to only get a sidewards move - at best.

So, it would be a big risk to not sign a deal and push for a move. Whilst he could do well at Forest for example, they could also go down and if he didn't play well he'd be in trouble.

Staying at Wolves would seem to be his best option if he was playing every week (which he should be).

We could also go down based on recent form, if we sell Neves and have another poor window.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t get the rhetoric at all that he’s been treated terribly. He fell victim to Nuno and rigid tactics whereby he just simply couldn’t get a place (he’s neither a proper CM or wide forward how Nuno set us up). Actually think Bruno has treated him brilliantly, had a good look at him in the summer, probably felt like he wasn’t going to feature much and went and had a fantastic season in the championship which ultimately got his name moving about again and back in an England shirt.

Now it’s up to two things really. Does MGW want to fight for a place knowing he again most probably won’t be a starter in the current formation and b) does Bruno rate him enough to change the formation round to pick him. One things for sure, if he does stay he really has to impress in pre season and give Bruno a headache as to how to fit him in.

Personally I hope he stays as despite some of the nonsense written about his ability/personal life there’s definitely a player in there. I’ve said before the trouble is he’s a bit of a Dele Alli for me in that he needs a free role as he’s not a midfielder and not a wide player or CF, more a floating attacking midfielder/10

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t get the rhetoric at all that he’s been treated terribly. He fell victim to Nuno and rigid tactics whereby he just simply couldn’t get a place (he’s neither a proper CM or wide forward how Nuno set us up). Actually think Bruno has treated him brilliantly, had a good look at him in the summer, probably felt like he wasn’t going to feature much and went and had a fantastic season in the championship which ultimately got his name moving about again and back in an England shirt.

Now it’s up to two things really. Does MGW want to fight for a place knowing he again most probably won’t be a starter in the current formation and b) does Bruno rate him enough to change the formation round to pick him. One things for sure, if he does stay he really has to impress in pre season and give Bruno a headache as to how to fit him in.

Personally I hope he stays as despite some of the nonsense written about his ability/personal life there’s definitely a player in there. I’ve said before the trouble is he’s a bit of a Dele Alli for me in that he needs a free role as he’s not a midfielder and not a wide player or CF, more a floating attacking midfielder/10
Sheffield United play a similar formation to us, sometimes 3-4-3 sometimes 3-5-2. I think he'd be alright with us as it stands and is very close to the XI. Not much between him and Podence & he's clearly better than Hwang IMO.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I really don’t get why he would not be a starter in the current formation.
3-4-3 and MGW is one of the inside forwards, preferably with Neto.
3-5-2 and MGW is the CAM. Could probably also play in the #10 role alongside Raul/ Silva.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheffield United play a similar formation to us, sometimes 3-4-3 sometimes 3-5-2. I think he'd be alright with us as it stands and is very close to the XI. Not much between him and Podence & he's clearly better than Hwang IMO.
I really don’t get why he would not be a starter in the current formation.
3-4-3 and MGW is one of the inside forwards, preferably with Neto.
3-5-2 and MGW is the CAM. Could probably also play in the #10 role alongside Raul/ Silva.
Bit different doing it in the championship to the Premier League, he doesn’t have the pace (for me) of Neto/Podence/Hwang/Chiquinho or the trickery of them. He’s more of a playmaker dropping into holes and making things happen. Bruno (for me) likes his wide forwards to travel with the ball, that’s not him at all.

If Bruno does want to play a back 4 I think he’d be brilliant in a 4231 as a floating player in the “3”

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit different doing it in the championship to the Premier League, he doesn’t have the pace (for me) of Neto/Podence/Hwang/Chiquinho or the trickery of them. He’s more of a playmaker dropping into holes and making things happen. Bruno (for me) likes his wide forwards to travel with the ball, that’s not him at all.

If Bruno does want to play a back 4 I think he’d be brilliant in a 4231 as a floating player in the “3”
It is different in the Championship, of course, but he was doing well in pre-season and in the games before he went on loan. I don’t see him being slower than Podence or Hwang and he does have trickery and can carry the ball.
Going to have to agree to differ.
If we play 3-4-3 next season I am hoping that MGW is competing with Podence for the inside right slot.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Have you watched him play in the last year? He travels with the ball a lot…

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All of the above assumes MGW will step up and perform just as well in the Premier League, that's not guaranteed.

I'm sure he's got every confidence in himself doing just that but, even if he's capable, any sort of injury and suddenly he could find himself sitting on the sidelines for a while or coming back having to re-earn his place and approaching the last year of his deal with just a handful of games for a 23 year old.

It'd be a very bold move of him to turn down a decent contract offer with still a lot to prove but if he did, I suspect moving on this window would be the only other option available to him anyway.

I'd love for him to stay and live up to his potential, there's definitely a place for him now in a Bruno team, was always a difficult one to see in a Nuno one though.

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me MGW Podence Traore and Neto are similar cases. All could potentially be that spark that is capable of unlocking tight defences . The creators the risk takers . But genuinely can we play all 3 if Traore leaves as expected ? I see all 3 of them throwing their toys out of the pram if the going were to get tough . I would sit them all down at the start of the season and explain to them that they will be targeted by the opposition but to simply bounce back up and fight for the ball non of this throwing their arms in the air and constantly complaining . By the look of the non transfer activity we are going to need them but toughen up and compete.

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
MGW has both pace and plenty of trickery from what I saw of him at Sheff Utd last season.
Agreed he was very good there and I would love him to do well for us too if he knuckles down and applies his undoubted talent.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think him and Neto will/could be dynamite, irrespective of formation.

I also think that there is a chance that MGW could now develop very rapidly with game time and become a genuinely top player. He clearly needs to be managed in a certain way, but the upside is huge IMO.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think him and Neto will/could be dynamite, irrespective of formation.

I also think that there is a chance that MGW could now develop very rapidly with game time and become a genuinely top player. He clearly needs to be managed in a certain way, but the upside is huge IMO.
Neto, Podence, MGW and Silva.
Get them to click as a 4 and they could be good to watch.

Quite a bit of “attitude” ! But goals too...

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn't even contemplate signing a new deal if I were him.
I am with you on this, I don't see what are the advantages he has in committing to a long deal with us

For signing with Wolves
- gets a big pay increase
- security of a longer contract
- at least some assurance of gametime

Not signing for Wolves
- guaranteed two years here if he wants
- still a good salary after signing an improved deal last year
- more bargaining power for bigger contract here or elsewhere
- signing on fee if/when he leaves
- go to somewhere that is 100% committed to him
- picks which team/manager to go to
- new start where he will be welcomed as a great signing
- opportunity to say 'up yours' to people that maybe have not supported him
- gets to move down to the bright lights of London if the Palace rumours are true

I hope he stays, you would think he may have some affiliation to wolves has he has been here since a kid, but I do struggle to see benefits from his perspective.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am with you on this, I don't see what are the advantages he has in committing to a long deal with us

For signing with Wolves
- gets a big pay increase
- security of a longer contract
- at least some assurance of gametime

Not signing for Wolves
- guaranteed two years here if he wants
- still a good salary after signing an improved deal last year
- more bargaining power for bigger contract here or elsewhere
- signing on fee if/when he leaves
- go to somewhere that is 100% committed to him
- picks which team/manager to go to
- new start where he will be welcomed as a great signing
- opportunity to say 'up yours' to people that maybe have not supported him
- gets to move down to the bright lights of London if the Palace rumours are true

I hope he stays, you would think he may have some affiliation to wolves has he has been here since a kid, but I do struggle to see benefits from his perspective.
IF those things are what motivate him then I hope he rots on our bench for 2 years then moves on a free to “I really don’t care where” for what would probably still not be enough money to make him happy.

However I optimistically think that is not the case and the lad just wants a club he can play a major role for.
Wouldn’t shock me if he wanted to go back to Sheffield rather than sit on our bench, or the palace bench , etc..

But overall I think he will stay, will play regularly and will sign a new contract.

Reaction score
Gibbs-White should get a full season with us, with a lot first team exposure. This will be his coming of age season and perhaps entering his early peak.

He will be 23 by the end of next season, with one year left on his contract, so ideally the club need to be looking at tying him down to a 2 or 3 year extension.

I know other clubs have looked at him with serious interest, Arsenal, Palace, AC Milan and Leipzig have scouted him very recently, comments from scouts and analysts have been positive, playing in a 10 role or an 8. His contract situation will be interesting to those clubs and I think Morgan knows that.

I think its down to Morgan to ascertain how seriously he wants to take football, does he want to be a successful lower tier 1/higher tier 2 player, or does he want to be an elite player to go and win serious trophies, it's all in Morgans hands IMO.

The club have some wounds to help heal, a new contract would help in that regard, a commitment from the club should mean that the player commits and removes himself from whatever non-footballing situations he may or may not be involved in, and starts to fully focus on his career at Wolves.

Too much at stake to keep playing someone if they aren’t performing and hoping they will come good. He undoubtedly deserves a chance but he needs to earn that shirt.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Doesn’t mean that’s how it should be. We need more competition for places so players can’t go into games knowing there’s no one who’s going to take their place if they have a stinker. Hopefully MGW, Cundle and some new additions can provide that.
Agreed, he deserves a run to start with by obviously isn't 10 games guaranteed or something

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can't find a purpose for him or have faith in him now then you have to wonder what the point of loaning out players is. He had what can only be described as a brilliant season loan.
The system simply has to change to accommodate Neto, Mgw, podence, Jimenez

Let’s start supporting our decent attacking players rather than protecting our poor defensive players

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The system simply has to change to accommodate Neto, Mgw, podence, Jimenez

Let’s start supporting our decent attacking players rather than protecting our poor defensive players
Agreed in principle, but I have my doubts about Raul.

Back
Top Bottom