Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s the point in that? And why would either club want to swap their young promising talent for someone else’s at the exact same stage of their career?
It's happened before, and with the very same club, back in 1964. We swapped Alan Hinton for Dick ('Flip') Le Flem. Both mid-20s, both left wingers. Except Le Flem was ****ing useless and Hinton was a top player. Hinton went on from Forest to Derby, where he won a League Champions' medal. Le Flob sank without trace.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trincao has one of the most overrated "skill-sets" I've ever seen, it isn't just physicality it is his total lack of impact on games. Just has a nice left peg and occasionally goes past a player.

The easier chance he missed that Hwang set up was the one he managed to spoon wide with his right foot from about 10 yards against Everton. Luckily Sa made a great save at the end, else he could have cost us dearly.

Which games did Hwang cost us?
Trincao has nice close control. That is his skill set.
Where is his ability to spot a pass? How many times has he set anyone else up? He is one of the most limited players I've seen.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are jealous. Reasons for the hate are;

Talented
On good money
Has a pretty girl
Mixed race (sadly this is a reason)
Don't forget the local lad done good part.
There is a special sort of hate reserved by some for Karl Henry, Lee naylor, Leon Clarke etc...

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Talented
On good money
Has a pretty girl

Why are comments like this cropping up and allowed?

You cannot say people ‘hate’ MGW because he’s mixed race. It’s totally unfair towards people to have such an accusation put to them and it’s unfair to say towards our fan base as a whole.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's happened before, and with the very same club, back in 1964. We swapped Alan Hinton for Dick ('Flip') Le Flem. Both mid-20s, both left wingers. Except Le Flem was ****ing useless and Hinton was a top player. Hinton went on from Forest to Derby, where he won a League Champions' medal. Le Flob sank without trace.
Whilst reading all this stuff about MGW, three previous Wolves players keep coming to mind for various reasons, Mark Davies, Mark Burke, and Alun Evans.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Talented
On good money
Has a pretty girl
Sad. But very true.

Taylor played with MGW at various stages throughout the academy, with Morgan about 12-18 months ahead in his age/development so I have watched from the very beginning the way he has been viewed, judged and perceived. Knowing Taylor could go through similar.

It's extremely depressing watching a young kid be attacked for being young, black and successful. Middle aged men targeting him and his GF with hate on every single social media post about him.

When he started playing well for SU I started screenshotting messages I saw, usually on Facebook still absolutely laying into him, I was going to start a thread on here about it but decided to not bring what would be a fiery negative discussion on here. Calling him out on his lifestyle like they see him hanging about outside the barbers shotting 10 bags.

Funnily enough, by the end of the season the negative comments went from about 70% to about 5%.

Crazy really when a young lad starts off with section of fans willing him to fail to justify their preconceived ideas.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Trincao has nice close control. That is his skill set.
Where is his ability to spot a pass? How many times has he set anyone else up? He is one of the most limited players I've seen.
His chance creation numbers from passing are atrocious, if we are going to take him anymore than £10M is a poor bit of business.
I read that apparently Sporting/Porto/Valencia are interested. Which is a shocking list of clubs, absolutely no one could have predicted.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad. But very true.

Taylor played with MGW at various stages throughout the academy, with Morgan about 12-18 months ahead in his age/development so I have watched from the very beginning the way he has been viewed, judged and perceived. Knowing Taylor could go through similar.

It's extremely depressing watching a young kid be attacked for being young, black and successful. Middle aged men targeting him and his GF with hate on every single social media post about him.

When he started playing well for SU I started screenshotting messages I saw, usually on Facebook still absolutely laying into him, I was going to start a thread on here about it but decided to not bring what would be a fiery negative discussion on here. Calling him out on his lifestyle like they see him hanging about outside the barbers shotting 10 bags.

Funnily enough, by the end of the season the negative comments went from about 70% to about 5%.

Crazy really when a young lad starts off with section of fans willing him to fail to justify their preconceived ideas.
Couldn’t agree more. It’s why social media is a cess pit, it’s very easy to make wild ridiculous comments with little to no comeback.

This place has its moments but Twitter and Facebook are just toxic. A mate of a mate got into a row with me on FB about 12 months ago about immigration, he was doing the boring and tired “send them home” nonsense. I showed him up as a thick racist and he threatened me with all sorts, cut forward to a month ago and he walked in my local with his Mrs, couldn’t even make eye contact with me. Really easy to give it the big un behind a keyboard

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You cannot say people ‘hate’ MGW because he’s mixed race. It’s totally unfair towards people to have such an accusation put to them and it’s unfair to say towards our fan base as a whole.
Because Neto throws his arms up constantly on the pitch, has got into it with Nuno big time once in training and was sent in (that is a fact btw and I am sure other people on here can confirm it) and goes out partying a decent clip with Fabio & Trincao (not something that bothers me but many people will have seen him in Tettenhall) but he has never been accused of being big time or having a bad attitude.

Raheem Sterling: Newspapers help 'fuel racism' in football | ITV News
He brought the house for his Mom btw,

So did Phil Foden.

See the difference in coverage? Black players are held to a different standard

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Couldn’t agree more. It’s why social media is a cess pit, it’s very easy to make wild ridiculous comments with little to no comeback.

This place has its moments but Twitter and Facebook are just toxic. A mate of a mate got into a row with me on FB about 12 months ago about immigration, he was doing the boring and tired “send them home” nonsense. I showed him up as a thick racist and he threatened me with all sorts, cut forward to a month ago and he walked in my local with his Mrs, couldn’t even make eye contact with me. Really easy to give it the big un behind a keyboard
Had a young kid in my family in Brum kids hospital having surgery on a brain tumour, scumbag racist vermin member of my family said that they should be kicking the racist expletives out of there to get "Brits" in there quicker.
I said I didn't really want the Asian surgeon who operated on him kicked out.

Their idiocy never ceases to amaze me.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because Neto throws his arms up constantly on the pitch, has got into it with Nuno big time once in training and was sent in (that is a fact btw and I am sure other people on here can confirm it) and goes out partying a decent clip with Fabio & Trincao (not something that bothers me but many people will have seen him in Tettenhall) but he has never been accused of being big time or having a bad attitude.

Raheem Sterling: Newspapers help 'fuel racism' in football | ITV News
He brought the house for his Mom btw,

So did Phil Foden.

See the difference in coverage? Black players are held to a different standard
I see a difference in coverage with what you've highlighted.

I saw David Beckham, Rooney, Gascoigne all get the same invasive **** from the press who they tried to destroy, like they did with Sterling. Why? The answer is the press are ****s, nothing more.

I didn't see Neto break lockdown rules which is why MGW has a reputation, like you I think unfairly, but that's where it's from. Ultimately, that's his fault.

As for the social media stuff to MGW and his girlfriend, it was pathetic but the majority I saw was from a group of idiotic kids who continue to tweet all the time about Wolves.

This is getting a bit over the top now. MGW isn't hated at all by the Wolves fans so we shouldn't make out like he is, but those who did have an issue will have, IMO, been based on him breaking lockdown rules to go to a party with Love Island contestants or whatever it was. That's not a good look at all.

Again though, the vast majority of Wolves fans want MGW to get a chance next season and want him to do well.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had a young kid in my family in Brum kids hospital having surgery on a brain tumour, scumbag racist vermin member of my family said that they should be kicking the racist expletives out of there to get "Brits" in there quicker.
I said I didn't really want the Asian surgeon who operated on him kicked out.

Their idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
I bet he loves a curry though and buys his beer from the local Asian off licence. Some people truly think racism isn’t a thing any more, baffles my brain when there’s a racist undercurrent in society still.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I bet he loves a curry though and buys his beer from the local Asian off licence. Some people truly think racism isn’t a thing any more, baffles my brain when there’s a racist undercurrent in society still.
Yeah, has gotten a lot better but it is more insidious now. If you're white (or look white like me) we all know how comfortable certain types of blokes are still saying racist stuff in private

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I saw David Beckham, Rooney, Gascoigne all get the same invasive **** from the press who they tried to destroy, like they did with Sterling. Why? The answer is the press are ****s, nothing more.

I didn't see Neto break lockdown rules which is why MGW has a reputation, like you I think unfairly, but that's where it's from. Ultimately, that's his fault.

As for the social media stuff to MGW and his girlfriend, it was pathetic but the majority I saw was from a group of idiotic kids who continue to tweet all the time about Wolves.

This is getting a bit over the top now. MGW isn't hated at all by the Wolves fans so we shouldn't make out like he is, but those who did have an issue will have, IMO, been based on him breaking lockdown rules to go to a party with Love Island contestants or whatever it was. That's not a good look at all.

Again though, the vast majority of Wolves fans want MGW to get a chance next season and want him to do well.
So why hasn't Foden, who btw also broke lockdown rules to cheat on his Mrs who'd just given birth, gotten any stick off the press? Grealish is partying constantly and is still a golden boy.
If you don't think Sterling has gotten more stick than any footballer of this generation you are delusional tbh. Gazza and Rooney also massively invited it on themselves, Gazza treated as a lovable rogue regularly despite smacking around his Mrs.

Can you imagine if Sterling's ex spoke about how he used to batter her? Do you think he'd be seen as a sympathetic figure and a beloved national icon.

Beckham also used the press as much as they used him.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad. But very true.

Great post. When I was 20 ish I did some things I souldn't but then grew up. MGW has been through that phase too; who hasn't?

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We live in a day and age where the race card is used as a weapon to guilt folk or silence a debate.

From what I've read and heard over the years, a section of Wolves fans are impatient and have an intolerance of players who don't make an immediate impact or are inconsistent. Trincao, Traore, Silva etc. It's more about MGW not performing consistently well in the old gold shirt.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It absolutely is a reason, and sorry, did Wolves not have a fan banned recently for racist abuse hurled at Rio Ferdinand?

There's a sizeable contingent happy to base their views solely around ethnicity within the Wolves fanbase, failure to acknowledge it doesn't help.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's so sad that some of the things on this thread are still part of society.
Morgan let himself down with his lockdown antics, but we have all been young and foolish. I hope that he is allowed the time to mature and see if he can contribute to a successful Wolves side. I do think that he, like lot of folk these days must be finding that social media is very much a two edged sword.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So why hasn't Foden, who btw also broke lockdown rules to cheat on his Mrs who'd just given birth, gotten any stick off the press? Grealish is partying constantly and is still a golden boy.
If you don't think Sterling has gotten more stick than any footballer of this generation you are delusional tbh. Gazza and Rooney also massively invited it on themselves, Gazza treated as a lovable rogue regularly despite smacking around his Mrs.

Can you imagine if Sterling's ex spoke about how he used to batter her? Do you think he'd be seen as a sympathetic figure and a beloved national icon.

Beckham also used the press as much as they used him.
Grealish got loads of stick, and rightly so, for the drunk driving. He was hammered all over from what I saw. This is the problem. The press give loads of players stick but when it's a black player it's because he's black.

The narrative was set for Sterling with him leaving Liverpool. We know how Liverpool dominate the press and get clicks. Him leaving them in the manner he did made him an easy target, that's it IMO. So they went with that. He was the bad guy (undeservedly) for leaving them for the moneybags City and it allowed them paint this image of him.

Agree that Gazza's reputation now is undeserved but times have changed. Gazza also had a lot worse things happen to him from the press than Sterling, so it worked both ways. Again though, times have changed.

Anyway, this is going off topic.

The MINORITY of Wolves fans who criticise MGW don't deserve to be told they're racist for doing so. It's a ridiculous and unfair assumption to make in my opinion because our fans criticise everyone :D

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, has gotten a lot better but it is more insidious now. If you're white (or look white like me) we all know how comfortable certain types of blokes are still saying racist stuff in private
Oh, please, give it a rest. I find the stereotyping tedious and offensive and deflects from the conversation. Which is no doubt what some intend.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It absolutely is a reason, and sorry, did Wolves not have a fan banned recently for racist abuse hurled at Rio Ferdinand?

There's a sizeable contingent happy to base their views solely around ethnicity within the Wolves fanbase, failure to acknowledge it doesn't help.
This is crazy.

If you don't like MGW it doesn't mean you are racist.

I actually can't believe you have those views, that our fans 'base their views solely around ethnicity'. That's a quite ridiculous thing to say.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is crazy.

If you don't like MGW it doesn't mean you are racist.

I actually can't believe you have those views, that our fans 'base their views solely around ethnicity'. That's a quite ridiculous thing to say.
It isn't crazy to say that people dislike MGW and give him some stick due to his ethnicity.

And for the latter, did I say all, I said all? I said a sizeable contigent, the vocal minority if you will.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't crazy to say that people dislike MGW and give him some stick due to his ethnicity.

And for the latter, did I say all, I said all? I said a sizeable contigent, the vocal minority if you will.
It really is.

You have zero evidence for it, because it's not true, yet are happy to say a 'sizeable contingent' of our fans are racist. That's mad.

You can just look through our squad and our history to see that all players of all colours & nationalities are loved/hated, including this current squad.

MGW is questioned on attitude and you put it down to race. The reality is Silva, Trincao, Podence get as much stick as anyone for that, and the majority want MGW to be in the team next season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's unfair if it's not true. I'm not saying everyone critical of MGW is racist, they're not. But some are.

Wolverhampton is one of the most harmoniously racially integrated communities I've encountered. I've still encountered racists though... and specifically at Molineux.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are these comments allowed? Jesus Christ! It has to be better to air these things rather than sweep them under the carpet
Yes, if there's anything to them.

Going round accusing people of racism when there's zero evidence of it whatsoever shouldn't be allowed, in my opinion.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, if there's anything to them.

Going round accusing people of racism when there's zero evidence of it whatsoever shouldn't be allowed, in my opinion.
Zero evidence? Seen it and heard it first hand. "Typical lazy (insert racial slur here)" is a direct quote from an unknown cretin outside the Sunbeam.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, this all got a little random over the last 3 or so pages.
All it takes is for someone to throw in the word racist, or a hint thereof, as a scatter gun accusation and discussions are silenced or sidelined.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Here's the thing with Morgan, he's a very talented lad and we were all very proud of the way he took that World cup Final by the scruff of the neck. Me like the vast, vast majority of Wolves fans have high hopes for him and really hope he'll succeed at Wolves.

Now he's the rub, we are all naturally conditioned to expect the worst, so if the worst happens we are not as deflated as we could have been, had we been over optimistic, a natural defence mechanism. A certain £100m wonderkid set the precedent here and we don't want to be burned twice. Despite not outwardly having high expectations, internally we do have high expectations.

He looked destined for great things, however he didn't quite fit in Nuno's system and was up against some stiff competition for other spots. Then his error of judgement came during a lockdown period where we'd all become very sanctimonious and critical of anyone who stepped across their front doorstep.

That combined means that we all want him to light the blue touch paper, but are already making the case for the defence should he not make the breakthrough/be sold in the window.

There are racists all over the place but to suggest that everyone has a downer on Morgan because of the colour of his skin is way off.

If he, like other's at Wolves, reads the Mix and reads this thread, Morgan this season's gonna be your breakthrough in the Premier League, you have always had the talent and always had the application, this year you'll have opportunity and a system that you can thrive in. Grab it with both hands son and make us all proud.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So did Boris Johnson, but he's still got the highest office in the land . . .

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's the thing with Morgan, he's a very talented lad and we were all very proud of the way he took that World cup Final by the scruff of the neck. Me like the vast, vast majority of Wolves fans have high hopes for him and really hope he'll succeed at Wolves.

Now he's the rub, we are all naturally conditioned to expect the worst, so if the worst happens we are not as deflated as we could have been, had we been over optimistic, a natural defence mechanism. A certain £100m wonderkid set the precedent here and we don't want to be burned twice. Despite not outwardly having high expectations, internally we do have high expectations.

He looked destined for great things, however he didn't quite fit in Nuno's system and was up against some stiff competition for other spots. Then his error of judgement came during a lockdown period where we'd all become very sanctimonious and critical of anyone who stepped across their front doorstep.

That combined means that we all want him to light the blue touch paper, but are already making the case for the defence should he not make the breakthrough/be sold in the window.

There are racists all over the place but to suggest that everyone has a downer on Morgan because of the colour of his skin is way off.

If he, like other's at Wolves, reads the Mix and reads this thread, Morgan this season's gonna be your breakthrough in the Premier League, you have always had the talent and always had the application, this year you'll have opportunity and a system that you can thrive in. Grab it with both hands son and make us all proud.
Great post, sad to see racism being brought into the debate, as a proud Staffordian with grandchildren of a similar appearance just hope he stays and has a great season, would just love to see a Stafford lad win PoTS and lift the FA Cup.

Back
Top Bottom