Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree completely.

It’s one thing when there is a project and upward trajectory, that’s why start up companies can attract top talent with the promise of an IPO pay off to retain them. But like startups which fail to go public, once a team plateau’s then people focus on the here and now and if you’re not competitive then people won’t stay if they have better options.
Adding to this is the matter of how quickly things can turn when a team loses a couple of games. Most Head Coaches / Managers are only too aware of this and so will virtually always go with the tried and trusted senior pro rather than gambling on a younger player. Our last two managers are no different.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If these reports about players not wanting to extend are true, then either it’s bad feeling with Lage, or it’s a growing disillusionment with the clubs lack of ambition. Either way it requires Jeff to take action, as this could be seriously damaging for the team.
I saw a quote from Saiss saying he was looking for a "serious project".

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had two very different set ups at Wolves.
Nuno and his team , also Bruno and his team .
We have had Thelwell and Sellars neither regime picked MGW for a regular first 11 start. .
I would think most Wolves fans would concur based on what he has produced in a Wolves shirt. He is not a first 11 choice.
Now he has played well in The Championship, which is why he was sent out, we have asked him to be part of our plans.
Why are so many pages wasted on this. So many theories !

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had Thelwell and Sellars neither regime picked MGW for a regular first 11 start. .
I would think most Wolves fans would concur based on what he has produced in a Wolves shirt. He is not a first 11 choice.
Now he has played well in The Championship, which is why he was sent out, we have asked him to be part of our plans.
Why are so many pages wasted on this. So many theories !

Do players not develop?

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I'm sure MGW's perfect scenario would be for him to become part of our regular starting XI, rather than move away permanently. Given the suggested change in formation and approach next season, then he could well get his wish.

I'd rather we had him (assuming current market value of about £20M), rather than gambling on a player from elsewhere. He genuinely loves the club, and that's so important in forming an identity and dressing room spirit.

100% Keep him and play him!

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If MGW has a fuiture here we need to change our formation. That could suit lage, but does not suit our current playing staff. Rumours of 20m from Saints.
If you look at our squad currently:-

Boly/ Kilman Coady- Not enough pace to play in a four so a faster CH needs to be recruited- Rumours of Coady to Newcastle?
Semedo- doesnt score or create enough for a wing back- Improving, but there have been rumours about Athletico Madrid interest?
Hwang- no good in a three- Ok off the bench if two up top-needs to work hard on his first touch. Its further than I can kick a ball.
Raul- needs support , but is no where near his pre injury form- Upgrade needed- Bayern bound?
Trincao- Lightweight. Needs to strengthen up significantly if he has a premier league future
Podence- Falls over at the slightest touch. Made of biscuits. May be looking to leave( unconfirmed rumour mill)
Neto- Still on his way back from injury
Dendoncker- should be banned from passing half way. Conversion rate of decent chances is awful.
Fabio- Cant finish his dinner. Has improved but is not a natural 9.(IMHO)

Neves, Saiss, Ruddy , Moutinho, Traore, Marcel may well/ probably will be all be off.

Its time to stick or twist for this squad. Its clear that the half way hybrid we played this season wont cut it next year as the metrics were OTT and you cant consistently rely on outrageous stats like that. 16 blanks in the league and a huge number of 1-0 results either way. I know plenty have said it plenty of times, but this really is a HUUUUUUUGE summer!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno and his team , also Bruno his team .
We have had Thelwell and Sellars neither regime picked MGW .
I would think most Wolves fans would concur based on what he has produced in a Wolves shirt. He is not afirst 11 choice.
Why are so many pages wasted on this.
Do players not develop?
My post did say , because he is getting better he has been asked to stay.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
I hope he doesn’t get bored one day and read his thread on Molmix, think it would put anyone off playing for us.

He has real potential to be a key player for us, but we won’t know if we don’t give him chance to.
Would be great to have a local lad making a difference for us on the pitch

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he doesn’t get bored one day and read his thread on Molmix, think it would put anyone off playing for us.

He has real potential to be a key player for us, but we won’t know if we don’t give him chance to.
Would be great to have a local lad making a difference for us on the pitch
Tbf there were plenty of Sheffield United fans that weren't too impressed with his flicks and tricks when they didn't come off and they made it known on their message boards too

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players develop and under Nuno, MGW was always considered as an option, yes he went on loan, but the plan appeared to be that in time he would be good enough for the first team. Under Bruno, the use of younger players appears to be more problematic. This is best illustrated by his failure to utilise Fabio Silva last season. He needed first team football, not picked regularly, but as a substitute. Bruno's use of substitutes was eccentric at best.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Tbf there were plenty of Sheffield United fans that weren't too impressed with his flicks and tricks when they didn't come off and they made it known on their message boards too
Yeah, they were so unimpressed they voted him young player of the year, player of the year, and their forums think he’s the best loan player they’ve ever had…

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure MGW's perfect scenario would be for him to become part of our regular starting XI, rather than move away permanently. Given the suggested change in formation and approach next season, then he could well get his wish.

I'd rather we had him (assuming current market value of about £20M), rather than gambling on a player from elsewhere. He genuinely loves the club, and that's so important in forming an identity and dressing room spirit.

100% Keep him and play him!
Maybe this is not the case anymore?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another loanee player who’s enjoyed his season… imagine the reaction had that been MGW…

View attachment 28161

The funny thing is, Warnock told him, he's got the ability to be a premier league player but he needs to stop being an ******** and go and earn it.

He's took that personal, took his finger out on loan and won promotion. He's trying to have a go to Warnock. But he's just proving his point.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So many players not signing new contracts or actively wanting to leave, what the hell is going on? Is the "project" completely dead? Warning signs have been going off a lot these last couple of seasons and I am genuinely worried for the upcoming season, Southampton over us FFS

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it bother you so much every year that some people on this forum might hear bits of information?

Is it that implausible that someone somewhere could possibly know a staff member of someone who works at Wolves or family member or friend of a player who lives and works in this area?

Do you genuinely believe that anyone and everyone who works at wolves or is in some way associated with someone who works at wolves is in no way going to cross paths with someone who may also post on this forum?

'Forest vs Southampton' for him according to Alan Nixon
Get what we can for him quickly we need to get him off the books asap.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
So many players not signing new contracts or actively wanting to leave, what the hell is going on? Is the "project" completely dead? Warning signs have been going off a lot these last couple of seasons and I am genuinely worried for the upcoming season, Southampton over us FFS
It's a 're-set'. Basically the same as when your TV stops working and you have no idea why, so you turn it off, count to 10 and turn it back on again while saying a little prayer.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reasoning will be different in all cases, especially so for MGW you'd suspect, but I think we're starting to see the crunch of where Fosun's strategy hits the wall of football reality.

I sympathise with them in some ways, because football finance is ridiculous. But no one is forcing them to own a Premier League club. They've done brilliantly to establish us in the top half of the world's richest league within their own parameters, but it's a millionaire's playground free-for-all, and naive to think otherwise.

You can't sustain the gloss and revenue of the PL long-term without biting the bullet and forking over ludicrous wages and contracts, orherwise your best players and best prospects will jump ship without a backwards glance.

No one sensibly expects us to compete financially with the big clubs, but if they want to run the same race as Leicester, West Ham, that will need serious money. You don't get to enjoy PL benefits on a financial model better suited to Serie A or Ligue Un.

I'm worried too, that we're not as attractive a prospect or project that we were a couple of years ago. I'm less bothered that we're shedding older players on higher wages while looking to reinvest in youth at value, but I'm definitely concerned that we won't be able to entice those younger players or keep them happy because we won't match the wages of clubs around us (if that's the case). That way lies sub-standard players, loss of direction and the Championship.

Great post! The playing field hasn't been level for decades. Though I would say it's a "billionaire's playground". The Conference is now your common-or-garden millionaire's playground.

Quite what our strategy could be is unclear. It does take billions to join that Big 6. Leicester won the league and still have completely failed to make it to the "Big 7". Just keep improving, as Nuno used to say? Will be interesting to see Newcastles attempt. Got a feeling it will end up a bit like us, though starting from a higher level. A couple of seasons of big spendings, perhaps top 6 challenges and Europe, then fading out when the owners realise how many more hundreds of millions they need to pump in.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, as Rangiora Wolf said, Saiss specifically mentioned he was looking for a project. Which implies he doesn't see one any more at Wolves.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players develop and under Nuno, MGW was always considered as an option, yes he went on loan, but the plan appeared to be that in time he would be good enough for the first team. Under Bruno, the use of younger players appears to be more problematic. This is best illustrated by his failure to utilise Fabio Silva last season. He needed first team football, not picked regularly, but as a substitute. Bruno's use of substitutes was eccentric at best.
I agree , but the narrative is we ignored him so he has the right to feel ****ed off and **** off .
I don’t get that narrative.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Yes, as Rangiora Wolf said, Saiss specifically mentioned he was looking for a project. Which implies he doesn't see one any more at Wolves.
Everyone could interpret his quote differently, he may want to be at a team where he is in the first 11 or he may want to be at whoever is going to offer him the biggest contract as it will more than likely be his last big pay day.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, they were so unimpressed they voted him young player of the year, player of the year, and their forums think he’s the best loan player they’ve ever had…
Sounds like the season Costa won all our awards, he didn’t last much longer!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The funny thing is, Warnock told him, he's got the ability to be a premier league player but he needs to stop being an ******** and go and earn it.

He's took that personal, took his finger out on loan and won promotion. He's trying to have a go to Warnock. But he's just proving his point.

That’s the human aspect of footballers that a lot of people sometimes forget.

They aren’t just tradable commodities that slot into a position and perform the same at any club.

How many people, in any walk of life, have opportunities that came too soon, at a time they weren’t ready to take them?

Pedro Goncalves springs to mind. He had a huge opportunity here, but he wasn’t ready to take it for a variety of reasons. Then when he ended up at Sporting, he grasped the nettle and fulfilled his potential.

The run in with Warnock was clearly the making of Spence as a player. He could have stayed and still been chuntering along as a mid table Championship player.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
It does worry me that people read the words spoken by foreign players and managers with admittedly very good English and read all sorts of niceties of nuance into what they said. Perhaps Saiss realises that Wolves are going for a re-build this summer and - though he might be ok next year, he would not be part of 2023-24 and so is looking for an alternative.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sp
The reasoning will be different in all cases, especially so for MGW you'd suspect, but I think we're starting to see the crunch of where Fosun's strategy hits the wall of football reality.

I sympathise with them in some ways, because football finance is ridiculous. But no one is forcing them to own a Premier League club. They've done brilliantly to establish us in the top half of the world's richest league within their own parameters, but it's a millionaire's playground free-for-all, and naive to think otherwise.

You can't sustain the gloss and revenue of the PL long-term without biting the bullet and forking over ludicrous wages and contracts, orherwise your best players and best prospects will jump ship without a backwards glance.

No one sensibly expects us to compete financially with the big clubs, but if they want to run the same race as Leicester, West Ham, that will need serious money. You don't get to enjoy PL benefits on a financial model better suited to Serie A or Ligue Un.

I'm worried too, that we're not as attractive a prospect or project that we were a couple of years ago. I'm less bothered that we're shedding older players on higher wages while looking to reinvest in youth at value, but I'm definitely concerned that we won't be able to entice those younger players or keep them happy because we won't match the wages of clubs around us (if that's the case). That way lies sub-standard players, loss of direction and the Championship.
Spot on. I think that even with Fosun's apparent strategy of buy young sell high, we still need a decent PL core around which we can showcase the young tricky Portuguese lads they want to make money on? That surely means making sure we're competitive, which might sometimes mean paying a bit on proven players?

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree , but the narrative is we ignored him so he has the right to feel ****ed off and **** off .
The manager complained at the start of the season about the lack of available players he had. The club released MGW on loan, presumably on the approval of the manager and signed Hwang whom he said in an interview he had been tracking previously when playing in Austria. I suspect more than MGW have suffered and are annoyed by there treatment with regards Hwang (who is it should be stated is innocent in this). What Sheffield United has illustrated is his true potential, no doubt boosted his confidence and should see him making his career with Wolves. Instead Patrick Viera is likely to show far more confidence in the lad than his club manager, have him replace Gallagher and benefit Crystal Palace. Why? Because our manager could not see a prized asset at the end of his nose. The lad has every right to feel p1ssed off. I just hope he gives us another season, the trouble is that his treatment of Fabio has been equally idiotic this past season and I fear that he is incapable of replicating the success Nuno had and indeed left to his devices will be taking us down to the Championship either next season or the season following. Glad to be proven wrong on all counts.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does worry me that people read the words spoken by foreign players and managers with admittedly very good English and read all sorts of niceties of nuance into what they said. Perhaps Saiss realises that Wolves are going for a re-build this summer and - though he might be ok next year, he would not be part of 2023-24 and so is looking for an alternative.

I know what you mean - I just think Saiss English is excellent, unlike Bruno's and many other players (that includes some of the British ones!) . He could mean "another project". It just stood out for me as when Fosun arrived, many spoke specifically of joining "the project" - Neves has said it, for example, as did Moutinho.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
I think 'the project' was getting WWFC to the Prem and then to Europe places in 7 years. They did it quicker than expected. But like many fireworks, we have lost our sparkle. We DO need a re-build. It has been a privilege to watch Moutinho and Neves grace our pitch. But as has been said many times, we now have a midfield which simply is not creative enough. Nuno found the right players to play a particular style. I am not sure what our type is any more - but know that it works in fits and starts - and that isn;t enough for the Premier.

Our star players are fading. Jimenez is not the player he was. I worry about Neto, but hope a proper pre-season will resolve issues, but his body language was not always good when he came back. Is he resentful of his injury? Does he think without it he would have moved on - like Jota - to 'a top club'? Coady's lack of pace is being exposed (see Pukki & Norwich game!), Boly and Saiss are getting the wrong side of 30 together, Dendonker still is not brave enough.... I worry about Jonny's knees & Semedo's hamstrings.

but I am optimistic. I still think Silva will come good. I like Chiqhino. I think we have some young talent nearly ready for 1st team action. Podence - when he stays on his feet sees passes that no-one else does around the box. But we need to re-build to a PLAN. Whose? Bruno's? Let us see.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said before... I live in Sheffield and that isn't the case. They've tolerated his tricks and flicks because most of them rate him as both the best player they've EVER had technically, but also the best player they've seen in the Chump. That's some compliment dow you think?

Honestly, they rave on about the kid, they're gutted about losing him. I drink in Blades' pubs in south Sheffield and they absolutely adore the lad, they think he's world class bless 'em.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

I've said before... I live in Sheffield and that isn't the case. They've tolerated his tricks and flicks because most of them rate him as both the best player they've EVER had technically, but also the best player they've seen in the Chump. That's some compliment dow you think?

Honestly, they rave on about the kid, they're gutted about losing him. I drink in Blades' pubs in south Sheffield and they absolutely adore the lad, they think he's world class bless 'em.
Makes you wonder why folk here don't on the latter. I'm pretty sure Wolves are doing everything they can to keep him here. It's whether the player (and his bird) want to stay.
If it's PL football he wants why would he choose teams that finished below us in the league?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forests manager was the England manager at the U-17 World Cup we won, so he knows full well who MGW is as a player and a person. They also play in a style that would suit him.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Living down south reading more and more local media reports that Southampton are ready to bid 20 million for him. The manager really rates and wants him.

Back
Top Bottom