Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is probs 2nd most sellable asset after neves currently

If they want to generate funds and the player is open to leaving why not get 20 mil plus for him?

Yeah. If we have a player that’s worth £15m-£20m plus, but is not a guaranteed starter, I think they are fair game to be sold to fund better players.

Dendoncker has been linked with a move to Lazio for example.

Jonny coming back in and doing so well has made me think Semedo could also be sold. He’s injury prone and has too much potential value if a club comes in for him.

If Gibbs-White isn’t going to come back, sign a new contract and start, with 2 years left on his contract, his value to us isn’t going to be any higher than it is this summer, so it’s right to sell.

A huge part of running the club how we are choosing to is about selling at the right time. Adama for example! He should have gone when we were supposedly offered £60m+. Up until that point, the club had got a lot of those decisions right (Douglas, Costa, Cav, etc.).

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would walk into this current side ahead of several of them. The club should be doing all they can to keep him and implement a proper attacking strategy for the team next season instead of the dirge they are dishing out in numerous games. A lot of fans are getting bored and sick of it. You only have to look at the reaction on Saturday. Lets build a new, vibrant, attacking team and have MGW as part of it and not the same old same old standard of football next season please. Lets get an identity again!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage if he’s still here wants pre season to take a good look at Giles and Ronan and a few others like Bolla.

I think Jordao and maybe Semedo could leave.

Bolla is highly regarded could mean the end for Hoever also!! Many changes ahead for many of our players

MGW probably holding off signing a new deal until he’s first team like he wants next season.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Lage if he’s still here wants pre season to take a good look at Giles and Ronan and a few others like Bolla.

Bolla is highly regarded could mean the end for Hoever also!! Many changes ahead for many of our players

MGW probably holding off signing a new deal until he’s first team like he wants next season.
He’s signed a new deal in the summer

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had to pick a player who is injury prone between Jonny and Semedo, I'm not sure Semedo would be the one I'd pick.
At a risk of continuing an off- thread topic - this is an interesting example. Semedo has, I suspect, a considerably higher sale value, but which of them has a higher value to us as a club?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed…Fosun bought a struggling championship team and within five years led them to their longest stay in the premier league with three top ten finishes.

Total clowns achieved what others had failed at for 50 years.

Some commentators appear to have no appreciation that the most significant differentiator is the total revenue of the club and its sustainability . The big six with more than double the available revenue and expenditure can still maintain their position even if run by clowns.if you are Everton ( or wolves ) clowns can create a disaster by spending funds poorly form sources that are not sustainable. Everton May escape this time but the effort to get to the top can easily capsize any club outside the big six whose ambition exceeds their sustainable revenue.

When I read these threads I am amazed at how some posters think it is easy to break into the big six ( as only city and Chelsea have managed in 50 years with massive cash injections that are now banned by FFP). That’s what Jeff meant when he said he would not gamble the long term future of the club in the short term in a forlorn attempt to finish in the top four.

Disappointing it is that there is no magic wand .

meanwhile as the original question bringing MGW a into the first team squad seems agood plan
Nah mate. Clowns.
What did the Fosuns ever do for us?
'they bought the neves'
Yes, they bought Neves but what else did the Fosuns ever do for us?
'they got us into europe'
'yes there was Europe, but what else did the Fosuns ever do for us'
Etc.

Not much point in critical thought when you can just shout loud and say it's all rubbish!

Even this particular decision of loaning MGW has been excellent. He's gone from a squad player who isn't getting game time to hot property who has had a storming championship season.

But, clowns, yes

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s signed a new deal in the summer
Only until 2024… I say only because It’s great news if we plan to sell this summer, however I guess the ideal solution for both parties (assuming he won’t get the regular starter berth at Wolves he wants) would be Sheff Utd to get promoted via the playoffs and they loan him again. He gets to play regularly, we get to see what he can do in the prem. the massive catch then being is he’d only have 12 months left if we then decided to sell which clearly isn’t great

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, I seem to remember that Morgan requested the loan because Bruno could not guarantee that he would be a regular starter, which probably seemed to be the the correct decision by both of them at the time. I might have remembered that wrong though.
No, I think you are right. Although many here questioned if it was the right thing to do as it left us so thin in midfield.
I would also like to see him come back, and get a chance to play. It all depends on if we push the boat out and bring anyone better in.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had to pick a player who is injury prone between Jonny and Semedo, I'm not sure Semedo would be the one I'd pick.

Ha, I see what you mean. Jonny has had a couple of very unlucky, very serious injuries. But he’s not one of those players that picks up little muscle injuries. When he’s fit, he tends to comfortably play most games, as he did in his first few seasons.

Although Semedo hasn’t had the same unlucky serious injuries, he’s picked up loads of little muscle strains here and there.

Serious injuries aside, which can happen to anyone at any time, I think Jonny’s fitness is probably more reliable!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back on to MGW, I think he will either be sold on or be part of the 1st team squad here, no benefit for us in loaning him out again, Bruno has said he wanted Morgan to be here this season but Morgan wanted game time hence the deal to sign a new contract and go out on loan this past season.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Selling Morgan this summer would be very short sighted by the club, if it was that he didn't want to be here then fine but he has had a fantastic season at Sheffield and deserves a shot with us in the Premier League. His value would be triple what it will be this summer after 1 good season in the premier league as well.

Reactions: Ian

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its amazing how good players become when not part of the side or out of the. I hope he comes back and lights it up here and this was his break through he needed. But he's been around the Wolves side 4 or 5 years now and apart from a half against Chelsea and spurs hadn't really done anything to excite us, still young but I can see why they'd be tempted to cash in if they feel he's found his level. Same with Giles they aren't 18/19 anymore, both 22 its now or never for them at Wolves.
No one has a right to start, they have to earn that right, but MGW never really had a consistent run in the side, nor was he played in a position that suited him, so he may have been around Wolves for 4-5 years but he was never really given a chance to shine.
The loan has done him good and hopefully he will get the chance to impress for us in pre-season and in a run of games when the season starts, playing in a position and formation that suits him, and allows us to get the best out of everyone.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that's true , said he'd have to fight with Hwang/Trincao/Podence etc etc fir s place , he probably thought he'd be behind them all, the way the above have played he may very well have got a few games who knows
If he had stayed I have no doubt he would have had to have fought for his place against those three but with Podence injured at the time and the way Trincao and Hwang played I am sure he would have got his chance.
Hindsight.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is true that Trincao hasn't shown his true worth at Wolves, in my opinion Trincao is a much better footballer than MGW, there is no comparison.
MGW has done well on loan and knuckled down and good luck to him. Trincao has a future at a top club, he is a very gifted footballer. True that he has still to demonstrate his worth at Wolves, but his footballing brain and technique are on another level to MGW.
MGW will have a good career ahead of him, but in my opinion, not in a top 10 Premier League club, which is where we are now.
In my opinion, our squad is short of top quality replacements and as much as MGW has done well for himself at Sheffield United, he doesn't have the quality that we need to progress. Bringing him back would save money for Fosun, but wouldn't move us up to the next level.

Last edited:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfermkt values him at about 31m euros, but I take your point he is worth a fair old wad now. However;

"What he has done is gone out and made it happen for himself because Wolves did not really want him to go but he felt he was not going to get an opportunity to play under Nuno." Source; Sky Sports News, 15 Feb 2022

So maybe Sellars not 100% to blame here?

And of those of us who actually turned up to watch Goncalves play - I saw most of his matches - the ones I talked to during the matches (about a couple of dozen, including some very knowledgeable pundits) all agreed that, yes, he looked comfortable on the ball, and no, he wasn't going to be good enough to play for our first team.

Just goes to show that nobody is right all the time!
I am glade someone else thinks the same about Goncalves. I saw a number of his games and although tidy I saw nothing to suggest he was a £50m player in the making.

I know it's hard to make comparison between players at different times, but I have been more impressed with young Joe Hodge currently playing in the under 23's - I have only seen him in a few games, but every time he looks like he has very high potential.

But the club get beat up about Goncalves, he was very home sick and I think he moved in with Neves I believe to try and help him.

But the lad wanted to go home, so that's it. Some you win some you lose.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah. If we have a player that’s worth £15m-£20m plus, but is not a guaranteed starter, I think they are fair game to be sold to fund better players.

Dendoncker has been linked with a move to Lazio for example.

Jonny coming back in and doing so well has made me think Semedo could also be sold. He’s injury prone and has too much potential value if a club comes in for him.

If Gibbs-White isn’t going to come back, sign a new contract and start, with 2 years left on his contract, his value to us isn’t going to be any higher than it is this summer, so it’s right to sell.

A huge part of running the club how we are choosing to is about selling at the right time. Adama for example! He should have gone when we were supposedly offered £60m+. Up until that point, the club had got a lot of those decisions right (Douglas, Costa, Cav, etc.).
We were never offered in the same galaxy as £60M for Adama.

The reason you don't see MGW is because £20M barely gets you anything nowadays, let alone a good Premier League attacking midfielder

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reason you don't see MGW is because £20M barely gets you anything nowadays, let alone a good Premier League attacking midfielder

Other than Bowen, Eze, Olise, Cornet, Benrahma, Saint-Maximin and Trossard (amongst others), I'd say you were right.

(Neto, Podence and Adama also all cost less than £20m).

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We simply need to keep hold and play him next season. In some ways I’m glad he’s not come back and has had a full season of brilliant development elsewhere but it all counts for nothing (apart from £££) if we sell him on and don’t utilise him.

The irony is that Bruno and his “getting between the lines” in a team that lacks goals and creative ingenuity going forward seems to have had the player he needs on the books all along.

But it’s OK if he comes back twice the player and is given the chance to shine next season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would walk into this current side ahead of several of them. The club should be doing all they can to keep him and implement a proper attacking strategy for the team next season instead of the dirge they are dishing out in numerous games. A lot of fans are getting bored and sick of it. You only have to look at the reaction on Saturday. Lets build a new, vibrant, attacking team and have MGW as part of it and not the same old same old standard of football next season please. Lets get an identity again!
He would have been fine this season in the 343 as he wouldn’t have been told to chalk his boots whenever he played. He’d have done way more than all of the forward players (barring MAYBE Podence). But, I’m still ok with him being out on loan for the season if he comes back and smashes it next season.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is true that Trincao hasn't shown his true worth at Wolves, in my opinion Trincao is a much better footballer than MGW, there is no comparison.
MGW has done well on loan and knuckled down and good luck to him. Trincao has a future at a top club, he is a very gifted footballer. True that he has still to demonstrate his worth at Wolves, but his footballing brain and technique are on another level to MGW.
MGW will have a good career ahead of him, but in my opinion, not in a top 10 Premier League club, which is where we are now.
In my opinion, our squad is short of top quality replacements and as much as MGW has done well for himself at Sheffield United, he doesn't have the quality that we need to progress. Bringing him back would save money for Fosun, but wouldn't move us up to the next level.
I’m interested to know what you have seen from either player this season to come to these opinions.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RW - Neto/Chiquinho
CAM - MGW/Pedrinho
LW - Guedes/Podence
ST - NEW, Jimenez, Hwang, Silva

I would be happy with those options going into next season in a 4231. Gives us plenty of options and different types of players as both Hwang and Guedes can play as a second striker if things were not clicking in the 4231. Think it would add a freshness to attack as well as give Morgan reassurance that he will get plenty of game time.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RW - Neto/Chiquinho
CAM - MGW/Pedrinho
LW - Guedes/Podence

I would be happy with those options going into next season in a 4231. Gives us plenty of options and different types of players as both Hwang and Guedes can play as a second striker if things were not clicking in the 4231. Think it would add a freshness to attack as well as give Morgan reassurance that he will get plenty of game time.
I’d preferably be taking Hwang out of that list but realise it’s not going to happen!! But yea, I’d be ok with that.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d preferably be taking Hwang out of that list but realise it’s not going to happen!! But yea, I’d be ok with that.

Yeah I didn't know where to put Hwang as it just looks like he will potentially block the development of Chiquinho or Silva, be the reason Morgan leaves or be the reason we don't sign say Pedrinho or Guedes to accommodate Hwang in one of those slots instead

Reactions: Ned
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Other than Bowen, Eze, Olise, Cornet, Benrahma, Saint-Maximin and Trossard (amongst others), I'd say you were right.

(Neto, Podence and Adama also all cost less than £20m).
None of them are attacking midfielders aside from Trossard they are forward.
Benrahma £26M, Bowen £22M is a forward

Cornet isn't a good enough player, and he is a striker/full back who has never played in the midfield. Saint-Maximin is a winger.

Neto, Podence, Adama are not attacking midfielders.

Also note a lot of them came from the Championship and had the same/worst numbers to MGW.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of them are attacking midfielders aside from Trossard they are forward.
Benrahma £26M, Bowen £22M is a forward

Cornet isn't a good enough player, and he is a striker/full back who has never played in the midfield. Saint-Maximin is a winger.

Neto, Podence, Adama are not attacking midfielders.

Also note a lot of them came from the Championship and had the same/worst numbers to MGW.

In your opinion they are not attacking midfielders. They can all play (and have all played) wide or more centrally. In our side at the moment, who are the attacking midfielders? It's a wide/no.10 hybrid position, filled by the likes of Podence, Neto, etc.

Just look where MGW has been playing this season. The same, wide or more central. If MGW came back and played in our formation as it is now, that's where he would play. He's even played as a false 9 and led the line on occasions for Sheff Utd this season. He's more of a forward for Sheffield United than a midfield player.

This is in response to you saying you can't get a good PL attacking midfield player for £20m. You've agreed that Trossard is an attacking midfield player, and he's a good one that cost £14m.

The initial fees for Bown and Benrahma were also both below (or just above) £20m. You can't just make things up to try and prove yourself to be correct! :tearsofjoy:

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RW - Neto/Chiquinho
CAM - MGW/Pedrinho
LW - Guedes/Podence

Can we sell Raul and Hwang, loan out silva and buy a couple new strikers

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

In your opinion they are not attacking midfielders. They can all play (and have all played) wide or more centrally. In our side at the moment, who are the attacking midfielders? It's a wide/no.10 hybrid position, filled by the likes of Podence, Neto, etc.

Just look where MGW has been playing this season. The same, wide or more central. If MGW came back and played in our formation as it is now, that's where he would play. He's even played as a false 9 and led the line on occasions for Sheff Utd this season. He's more of a forward for Sheffield United than a midfield player.

This is in response to you saying you can't get a good PL attacking midfield player for £20m. You've agreed that Trossard is an attacking midfield player, and he's a good one that cost £14m.

The initial fees for Bown and Benrahma were also both below (or just above) £20m. You can't just make things up to try and prove yourself to be correct! :tearsofjoy:
Benrahma fee will hit £26M, Bowen has already hit £25M - a reason you are bull****ting ? He also plays as a central striker as much as a wide player.

MGW can play central in a 3 man MF - which of the players listed can? Oh yeah one player for £12M, that is a solid argument based on a statistical weight of evidence. Consistently Prem wide and central players who would make a difference are £5-10M more than we would reportedly take for MGW and we'd then look into the Championship according to you where he has one of the best goals + assists per minute in the league. Genius work.

You prefer Hwang for £12M or whatever to get £20M for MGW?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I heard the bust up was about MGW

Bruno wanted to debate if MGW was good enough for the 5000th time and Raul & Jonny lost their ****
Categorically wrong, the debate started as to whether Dendoncker was signed on loan or permanently and then moved on to whether we'd sign Talisca

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Benrahma fee will hit £26M, Bowen has already hit £25M - a reason you are bull****ting ? He also plays as a central striker as much as a wide player.

MGW can play central in a 3 man MF - which of the players listed can? Oh yeah one player for £12M, that is a solid argument based on a statistical weight of evidence. Consistently Prem wide men who would make a difference are £5-10M then we are reportedly looking for MGW.

You prefer Hwang for £12M or whatever to get £20M for MGW?

Those fees will go up because they've done so well at West Ham. West Ham are effectively paying some of the additional earnings they will get from Europe to Brentford and Hull - it doesn't change what the initial fee was.

Who is our record signing? Fabio Silva. The fact that with all the add ons, we could end up paying more for Semedo won't change that (we won't).

MGW probably can play in a 3 man MF, yes. Of the players I listed, Trossard, Eze, Olise and Benrahma have or could all play as the most attacking player in a 3. But why would we bring a player back that has had all his success playing wider or further forward, then ask him to play in a 3 man MF?

MGW is probably more of a second striker than he is anything else. I'd definitely prefer MGW to Hwang, as a wide player or a second striker. But that's not the point. The point is, clubs have consistently signed good players that play in the same position/s that MGW has played this season, for £20m or less.

Is he a better player than those listed? We just don't know. Is he in Bruno's plans? We also don't know. If he won't sign a new contract, none of that changes the fact that we will need to sell him this summer.

Last edited:

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Still an outside chance he could get 1st Team Prem football next year with Sheff Utd, and from what I read he would be pretty sure of being given every chance to shine.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m interested to know what you have seen from either player this season to come to these opinions.

I didn't base my opinion on this season, but both players career trajectories. I also based them on what football experts have said about them and managers who have wanted to buy them. I know quite a few Barca fans who didn't want him to leave Barca and think he should have been given more of a chance.
I am happy that MGW has done well this year in the Championship and think he would be a good edition for a promoted team, in the Premier League. However, in my opinion, he isn't a player that will improve us, or help us to get where we want to be.
Trincao has not shown his potential yet, but it is a new league and a new country for him. He undoubtedly is gifted with natural technical ability and will be a top player. I hope he shows that a Wolves, but if he doesn't he will make it somewhere else.

Reactions: Ned

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am glade someone else thinks the same about Goncalves. I saw a number of his games and although tidy I saw nothing to suggest he was a £50m player in the making.

I know it's hard to make comparison between players at different times, but I have been more impressed with young Joe Hodge currently playing in the under 23's - I have only seen him in a few games, but every time he looks like he has very high potential.

But the club get beat up about Goncalves, he was very home sick and I think he moved in with Neves I believe to try and help him.

But the lad wanted to go home, so that's it. Some you win some you lose.
I’m of the same opinion with Goncalves, watched him at least 20 times but never saw the player he has turned out to be.

Think you’re right on Hodge as well.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like MGW a lot. I think the thing that will hold him back is no one really knows where to play him. He’s not a traditional CM and I don’t see him as a wide player. He needs a “free” role which isn’t always an easy way to play in the EPL. Personally that’s the issue with Trincao for me also.

Clipboard

Reaction score
I like MGW a lot. I think the thing that will hold him back is no one really knows where to play him. He’s not a traditional CM and I don’t see him as a wide player. He needs a “free” role which isn’t always an easy way to play in the EPL. Personally that’s the issue with Trincao for me also.
From watching lots of Sheff U games this year he seems to be playing very forward - often the furthest forward. He's like a striker for them or perhaps a very advanced 10.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Those fees will go up because they've done so well at West Ham. West Ham are effectively paying some of the additional earnings they will get from Europe to Brentford and Hull - it doesn't change what the initial fee was.

Who is our record signing? Fabio Silva. The fact that with all the add ons, we could end up paying more for Semedo won't change that (we won't).

MGW probably can play in a 3 man MF, yes. Of the players I listed, Trossard, Eze, Olise and Benrahma have or could all play as the most attacking player in a 3. But why would we bring a player back that has had all his success playing wider or further forward, then ask him to play in a 3 man MF?

MGW is probably more of a second striker than he is anything else. I'd definitely prefer MGW to Hwang, as a wide player or a second striker. But that's not the point. The point is, clubs have consistently signed good players that play in the same position/s that MGW has played this season, for £20m or less.

Is he a better player than those listed? We just don't know. Is he in Bruno's plans? We also don't know. If he won't sign a new contract, none of that changes the fact that we will need to sell him this summer.
So they didn't cost under £20M then did they?

Olise and Benrahma are wide attackers. Eze is another forward, who was also in the last year of his deal and went for £17M. Would love some evidence any have played in midfield before, MGW has. His best position may well be as an inverted attacker but growing up he has always played in midfield. Fact he can play two positions potentially is a big value add.

If we sell him this summer rather than letting him play a year too see how good he is that is a big mistake.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So they didn't cost under £20M then did they?

Olise and Benrahma are wide attackers. Eze is another forward, who was also in the last year of his deal and went for £17M. Would love some evidence any have played in midfield before, MGW has. His best position may well be as an inverted attacker but growing up he has always played in midfield. Fact he can play two positions potentially is a big value add.

If we sell him this summer rather than letting him play a year too see how good he is that is a big mistake.

Ask and thou shall receive….

Olise

56D7A5B1-2BB0-423B-86C2-F01D00057FC2.jpeg

Benrahma

33C1C20B-E44E-4876-A936-657E42F0A03A.jpeg

Eze

72535D78-0908-4A2F-A61A-2AB532C38636.jpeg

And that’s just this season. They all played as central attacking midfielders, or midfielders loads for Reading, Brentford and QPR too.

Back
Top Bottom