Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really like how he's always on the half-turn. If he receives the ball with his back to goal he uses his first touch to swivel and face goal. Even if that touch is a bit heavy it forces opponents to come out of where they want to be. It'll be an issue if he tries it too deep in our half and loses it, but we need to take a few more risks!

I also thought his movement off the ball when Traore came on was really good yesterday: it meant there was often space for one of Traore/Hoever to move into, whether by cutting in or going wide. And, more generally, he was difficult to track - who expected him to pop up on the left of the penalty area for the winner?
Who expected anyone other than Silva to be in the box !

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has done well over the last few games.

Hope he continues till the end of the season

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What has most changed for me with MGW is how much stronger he is, he always got into good positions and had the technical ability but was so easily shrugged off the ball and if he wasn't on the ball he was a passenger but I really admire how stuck in he is getting, he seems much better tackling and keeps the ball much better.

I actually think he was fine on the right especially at the start of the second half when he cut in more. He's never going to be a race to the byline type but playing wide in a narrow formation could work. As long as he has players to play off, the likes of Podence (iffy form right now admittedly):, Silva and Vitinha suit his style of play.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss I could see being moved on, or kept strictly as a utility player as he’s no longer up to playing week in week out at the standard we need IMO.

Dendoncker is a really strange one. He’s a midfielder who plays for the number one ranked country in the world, and will go to the Euros no doubt and perhaps play a fair bit.
I can’t help but think we don’t get anything like what we could put of him.
If the bar is number one side in the world, it’s a limited area we shop in!

Agree on Saiss. Saiss and Boly will both be away for a month for the African Cup of Nations next season too, so we either have to keep them in addition to at least one new centre back, or replace them for players that will be around for the full season.

Dendoncker is a strange one. I can't help but think for the money we could get for him, we could replace him with a player that gives us more, or replace him with a player that gives us just as much, but have some change left over. The way we use our central midfielders I have similar feelings about Neves too! Potential £50m+ valued player, that we get nowhere near £50m+ of value from!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me its all about confidence with MGW. He has talent and at the moment seems to be trying hard for the manager and team. But like others he needs a run of games to prove himself and that is difficult when you are competing with Moutinho, Neves and now Vitinha. I would like to see him starting to score more goals - that has been a big weakness up to now. If we got a very good offer of £12m plus it would be tempting to sell but of course you always want an Academy product to 'make it'. Still 50: 50 on him and hope he plays in the final three matches so we can see what he is made of.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He does look a lot stronger now. He mentioned how Nuno had been "putting him through it" in training, and we're starting to see that paying off. I've just watched the extended highlights on the Wolves site and he is heavily involved in everything going forward in the second half. Very pleased for him, and hopefully this is just the start for him as a Wolves player.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have never rated him and still don't tbh. But I was so pleased for him when he scored his goal and you could see what it meant to him. Dread to think what a full Molineux would have been like after his miss- that could have really destroyed him.

Yeah, he probably wouldn't have gone on to score that winner if the crowd had been there.

Might make people think about giving our own players stick in the future.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m pleased for him to score after the miss - however he is just not good enough to be in a squad looking to be in the Top 6-8

He isn't the only one. That's why we aren't top 6-8! ;)

There's that key word "squad" ,which is different to "team". We had a top 7 "team"..but this season has shown it's arguable that our "squad" is even top half.

There were discussions here on which of our players were top 6 standard. Would be interesting to see how opinions have changed this season. There's certainly not so many stories about "big clubs" after our players as there was. It used to be a media frenzy! Could be because the key ones that spring to mind as genuine top 6 material are all injured (Raul, Neto, Jonny). Other than those, are top 6 clubs really coveting the likes of Rui, Traore, Neves, Coady these days?

There's also that huge gap between top 6 and the rest. Though not top 6, I reckon MGW would be of interest to several mid- and lower- half table teams. As much as most in our squad.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt him moving into the middle, and obviously Traore, made the difference in that second half come back. He looked far more comfortable centrally, and he gave us something a little bit different as he was trying to get forward from centre mid which is something Neves or Moutinho very rarely offer us.

Watching him celebrate the goal you can see how much it meant for him, I'd love for him to really kick on now and use that as a catalyst to cement his place in the squad next season. Nuno needs to stop playing slow midfielders on the wing though... he's tried it with MGW, Vitinha, Otasowie multiple times now and it hasn't worked. Podence and Traore are our only fit wingers, so play them.

I'd love to see something like this for the last three games:

Patricio
Hoever Coady Kilman Ait-Nouri
Neves Vitinha
Traore MGW Podence
Silva
Let the kids play against elite competition and we'll see who should be part of the squad next season.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regards social media abuse on MGW, I noticed this little gem. Go through the guys timeline he’s so obviously a **** fan. Yet tried to make it sound like he’s wolves with the tweet, how ****ed up do you have to be to do that

Impersonating Wolves fans (and presumably Villa) seems to be a strangely popular pastime for Albion fans. I used to know 2 who would regularly do it. It could be that deep down they actually want to be Wolves fans.
Or it could be their very, very odd.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep plugging away Morgan ... you’re getting there!

Nothing us Wolves fan love much more ... than a young, local lad making it.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt him moving into the middle, and obviously Traore, made the difference in that second half come back. He looked far more comfortable centrally, and he gave us something a little bit different as he was trying to get forward from centre mid which is something Neves or Moutinho very rarely offer us.

Watching him celebrate the goal you can see how much it meant for him, I'd love for him to really kick on now and use that as a catalyst to cement his place in the squad next season. Nuno needs to stop playing slow midfielders on the wing though... he's tried it with MGW, Vitinha, Otasowie multiple times now and it hasn't worked. Podence and Traore are our only fit wingers, so play them.

I'd love to see something like this for the last three games:

Patricio
Hoever Coady Kilman Ait-Nouri
Neves Vitinha
Traore MGW Podence
Silva
Let the kids play against elite competition and we'll see who should be part of the squad next season.

I agree with this, but the main problem with this is height, and it showed against Brighton. Kilman and Coady defend the 6 yard box in corners and then leave the runners for the rest of the team who are a bunch of midgets. So think I'd prefer OO next to Neves.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me he had his best game ever in a Wolves shirt, but he was still up and down in the game.

There was a few times he passed it to no one or didn't register in the link up play, he was also lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half, then he also missed the open goal.

On the plus side he really kept plugging away and trying things, and got more involved in the game as it went on, surpassing Vitiniha's influence in the game along the way. His goal was excellent and you could see how much it meant to him so fair play. Someone else noted on this thread how effective that half turn he does when he immediately receives the ball, it really puts us on the front foot, so great skill to have. I just wish he'd show Traore how to do it!

Be interesting if his overall performance and goal gives him that extra bit of confidence to kick on. If we persist with 4-2-3-1 he needs to go in the middle of the 3, so obviously jostling with Vitinha for that position.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People forget he is 21. He’s looking stronger because he’s physically developing. He’s worked hard and deserves a run of games in the number 10 role, He has abilities the majority of our players don’t and they need to be exploited.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you mean Naylor Leon and Karl Henry

Though Bull Lescott and Wright did ok.
In our best years quite a few were born locally e.g. Johnny Hancocks, Oakengates (great goal scoring record for a winger - 168 goals in 378 matches).

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he keeps shoving my past unkind words down my throat. It would serve me right, dammit.

D

Deleted member 7041

He was good on Sunday, very good. That is the benchmark and what he needs to build on. I hope he does I really do

D

Deleted member 11332

Naylor was good and got crucified, Danny Batth was hammered and he wasn't worse than many purchased players who escaped the wraith.

Suppose good is relative. I thought Naylor was ok, decent going forward and poor defensively. Had a very good career though and probably made the most of his ability.

D

Deleted member 11332

Yeah, looked far better away from Wolves though didn't he!

He did well for Celtic but the level of football in general is lower than the championship bar 3/4 sides. Couple of good CL performances aswell from memory but often players raise their game when there is little expectation. I can't think where else he played.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Naylor a lot. Does make me laugh that he doesn't find RAN good enough defensively though.
His habit of finding touch every time he played a ball down the line was frustrating. We’ve had worse full backs and many better. I don’t recall him being a nightmare defensively but neither do I remember him as being particularly good. Wolves fans did get on his back a bit partly because of his ability to find touch as unerringly as a rugby fly half and partly because he never really kicked on from a very good start.

D

Deleted member 11332

I liked Naylor a lot. Does make me laugh that he doesn't find RAN good enough defensively though.

I didn't mind him either really. Local lad and never hid, always did his best and I thought was treated poorly at times by Dave Jones in particular. Similar to players like froggy was probably more suited to the formation we play now.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saiss I could see being moved on, or kept strictly as a utility player as he’s no longer up to playing week in week out at the standard we need IMO.

Dendoncker is a really strange one. He’s a midfielder who plays for the number one ranked country in the world, and will go to the Euros no doubt and perhaps play a fair bit.
I can’t help but think we don’t get anything like what we could put of him.
If the bar is number one side in the world, it’s a limited area we shop in!
I'd look a lot better at 5 a-side if De Bruyne was on my team

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key for me now is Nuno has to play him more centrally rather than on the right. Play him as a no10 at Spurs.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with this, but the main problem with this is height, and it showed against Brighton. Kilman and Coady defend the 6 yard box in corners and then leave the runners for the rest of the team who are a bunch of midgets. So think I'd prefer OO next to Neves.
Its true, we really struggled with corners. The answer is....werner-fibreglass-swingback-steps.jpg

Back
Top Bottom