Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't even think he should play tomorrow to be honest, if Ornstein is right, and as the best journalist around you have to believe him.

We've done more than enough for MGW overall. He was rightly annoyed at the way Nuno recalled him and didn't play him, even if it was hardly crime of the century.

However, he won't even talk to us about a contract? A club he has been at since he was a kid - all for Nottingham Forest. Fair enough, go. We've already got a fair fee on the table so take it.

Start Chem Campbell tomorrow. Obviously nowhere near as good as MGW right now but let's not reduce ourselves to playing someone who is effectively pushing to go to Forest.
We should get rid of him because he won’t sign? That’s a bit impulsive.
Lucky we have cooler heads at Compton.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that case, he should be sold. £35 million is crazy money for his ability.
I think it’s worth us seeing if he can translate last seasons form into the Prem personally.. lasts season was his first consistent run of games and he showed a lot of improvement.

35mill for what he had shown in the Prem to-date is crazy money, I agree. But if he starts well, being English also, it would seem like a bargain suddenly

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all of these briefings to their friendly press we've got the forest owner by the balls on this.

Keep upping the price.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
"Club told he won’t even discuss new contract (2024)" according to Ornstein.

Big problem for the club. Is this potentially Adama all over again?
No.

Adama was in form at his peak value, he overplayed his hand in regards to his contract. MGW is (hopefully) nowhere near his peak value and he knows it. It doesn't make sense from his perspective to sign a contract before he's established himself for the club. He stands to have a big pay raise if he can perform, and all indications are that Bruno trusts him to do so. Honestly, I think it's better to hear that negotiations haven't started yet as opposed to being far apart on them, like we were/are with Adama.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should get rid of him because he won’t sign? That’s a bit impulsive.
Lucky we have cooler heads at Compton.
Yes, too right we should.

If he doesn’t sign he’s worth £10-15m.
Now we’re getting offered £25-35m.

It’s the easiest decision ever IF he won’t sign and I wouldn’t gamble past the deadline on a maybe.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do like him. I think he's class and was singing his praises at Sheffield United last season when many were sceptical.

Did you miss the bit in italic and bold? I'm saying he's not been in talks with the club because Ornstein has said he's not even prepared to discuss a new contract with us.
Even if you’re right and he doesn’t want to negotiate right now …….SO WHAT?

He has his reasons but you’re taking it personal. This is just business but in the meantime this season he could be invaluable to us.
And yet you want to get rid out of him because he won’t renegotiate now when it suits Wolves.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No.

Adama was in form at his peak value, he overplayed his hand in regards to his contract. MGW is (hopefully) nowhere near his peak value and he knows it. It doesn't make sense from his perspective to sign a contract before he's established himself for the club. He stands to have a big pay raise if he can perform, and all indications are that Bruno trusts him to do so. Honestly, I think it's better to hear that negotiations haven't started yet as opposed to being far apart on them, like we were/are with Adama.
Excellently put.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if you’re right and he doesn’t want to negotiate right now …….SO WHAT?

He has his reasons but you’re taking it personal. This is just business but in the meantime this season he could be invaluable to us.
And yet you want to get rid out of him because he won’t renegotiate now when it suits Wolves.
What do you mean so what?

I literally explained. He’s now worth £25-35m and he will be worth £10-15m max without signing a contract.

I’m really not taking it personally, I’m judging purely from a business perspective.

We are not in a great position financially so take the financially sensible offer.

He can do what he wants, as we’re seeing. As is his right so no complaints from me on that.

But the best decision for Wolves from a business perspective is to sell if he doesn’t sign a new deal. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't even think he should play tomorrow to be honest, if Ornstein is right, and as the best journalist around you have to believe him.

We've done more than enough for MGW overall. He was rightly annoyed at the way Nuno recalled him and didn't play him, even if it was hardly crime of the century.

However, he won't even talk to us about a contract? A club he has been at since he was a kid - all for Nottingham Forest. Fair enough, go. We've already got a fair fee on the table so take it.

Start Chem Campbell tomorrow. Obviously nowhere near as good as MGW right now but let's not reduce ourselves to playing someone who is effectively pushing to go to Forest.
Yes! We should cut off our metaphorical nose to spite our metaphorical face! That’d show it!!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s going to improve our starting 11, which is more than can be said for any signing we’ve made over the last few windows!
I think there is a massive doubt that he will. Everything he's done so far has been in the championship. How did Costa and Cav do there?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes! We should cut off our metaphorical nose to spite our metaphorical face! That’d show it!!
We did that long before the MGW saga by going to Leeds without a striker and one attacking sub, at best, who will be able to play 30 minutes if we’re lucky :D

I’d rather play 5-3-2 tomorrow anyway. Neto & Podence up top, jobs a good’un

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I literally explained. He’s now worth £25-35m and he will be worth £10-15m max without signing a contract.

I’m really not taking it personally, I’m judging purely from a business perspective.

We are not in a great position financially so take the financially sensible offer.

He can do what he wants, as we’re seeing. As is his right so no complaints from me on that.

But the best decision for Wolves from a business perspective is to sell if he doesn’t sign a new deal. I thought that was pretty obvious.
That may be, but we don’t need to make that decision today do we. Forests offer is apparently the final one but still open even though we’ve rejected it

If we want him and we’re intelligent (no comment required!!) we’d start him against Leeds and Fulham, probably Spurs too and then put the contract back in front of him. If he still holds out then call Forest and get straight on the phone to an alternative we should have lined up ready to replace him.

Yes, I know you’d doubt we’ll have a replacement lined up, but then we need another forward anyway and Traore is still a will he won’t he so we should be talking to forwards anyway.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do like him. I think he's class and was singing his praises at Sheffield United last season when many were sceptical.

Did you miss the bit in italic and bold? I'm saying he's not been in talks with the club because Ornstein has said he's not even prepared to discuss a new contract with us.
So not Lage, not Sellars, not Shi but a journalist. Next you will be telling us that Boris always told the truth.
I have it on good authority that MGW loves Doris's tea and missed it when he was with Shef U. :D

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That may be, but we don’t need to make that decision today do we. Forests offer is apparently the final one but still open even though we’ve rejected it

If we want him and we’re intelligent (no comment required!!) we’d start him against Leeds and Fulham, probably Spurs too and then put the contract back in front of him. If he still holds out then call Forest and get straight on the phone to an alternative we should have lined up ready to replace him.

Yes, I know you’d doubt we’ll have a replacement lined up, but then we need another forward anyway and Traore is still a will he won’t he so we should be talking to forwards anyway.
No, we don’t. I didn’t say we did have to make it today I don’t think?

I’d accept the offer by the deadline if he won’t sign. I’d also do everything you said in terms of offering him the contract again and lining up a replacement.

Only thing I’d differ on is I wouldn’t play him. But that’s just my opinion, I don’t like the idea of playing someone who may join a Premier League rival (again, my opinion, see us as similar teams). But accept some disagree with that, fine.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know how you feel but I guess I’m not explaining my position very well.

1. What if he doesn’t want to go anywhere?
2. What if he thinks he can get a better deal by waiting …….especially if he has a great season?
3. Maybe Wolves feel he’ll be worth much more than £35m in a couple of years.
4. Some Mixers want Wolves to get good players IN…..we don‘t want to send the good players OUT, eg, Neves
5. The profits or losses at Wolves are not MGW’s concern and he has to reason to negotiate until he’s ready.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW does not want to talk about a new contract at the moment according to Ornstein. Wolves do not want to sell and Lage wants to play him. That is it.
Bill, Ornstein has some swamp land in Florida that he wants to sell. Any takers on this site?:D

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that’s true, that should put to bed all the insane accusations that Jeff and Fosun are only about the money. Crikey, at £35m I’d have been seriously tempted.
But the fee may never hit the combined £35 million if their offered add ons aren’t achieve-able or realistic.

It could have been the case where only 27milion was realistic or likely based on Morgan and his development like we get 2 million if he reaches 15 caps for his country at senior level while still at forest (seen that clause before) or a clause like we get 5million if they win the league (flippant I know but these types of clauses exist) which aren’t likely meaning the probably total fee falls below their ideal and magic number to sell.

And if that’s the case they have done the right thing.

I will agree one thing they get right, is that they will get the best fee they can for our players. I wouldn’t and haven’t questioned any fee we have generated in sales to date. We are known difficult negotiators and this is where Jeff and his team do come into their own when talking financials and deals.

Look at the Costa and Cavaleiro deals and the 10’s of millions the buyers promotions gave us to the transfer kitty.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

2. What if he thinks he can get a better deal by waiting …….especially if he has a great season?
4. Some Mixers want Wolves to get good players IN…..we don‘t want to send the good players OUT, eg, Neves
5. The profits or losses at Wolves are not MGW’s concern and he has to reason to negotiate until he’s ready.
If 1. and 2. are right then we can’t do anything. That’s player power and he’s within his right to do that.

I would doubt that’s the case though because Forest have made three offers. I’m presuming they’ve had encouragement from his agent, who they’ve worked with this summer, that he is interested.

3. He will only be worth £35m if he signs, so irrelevant.

4. I agree entirely. I don’t want to sell MGW from a football perspective, he’s excellent. But I’m speaking from a financial perspective.

5. Agree entirely. But I’ve not said they are his concern, simply saying we should accept the bid if he doesn’t sign.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes of course he can, but if the player knows their club is happy to see him leave, then the writing is on the wall.
Oh god yeah, I am sorry I was just being awkward there…..

But he might just want to stay and see what happens and enter into discussions later. I really should have included this part….

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So true mate!

At the end of the day he has a contract with the club and he can’t be forced into anything he doesn’t want to do.

Same as if he wants to leave and the club don’t want him to.

Ahhhh the joys of employment contracts in an industry where you can sell your employees lol

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've been told the contract details have basically been agreed but he won't sign anything till he starts getting the minutes he's been told he'll get.

Sounds like he's heard a part of that and spinned it to create a story. Just wants to play football games and enjoy it
Can’t blame the kid, he just wants to play and feel like he will be valued.

Almost like any employee of any company

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No.

Thanks, interesting comments

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No.

Still plenty of time for Morgan at the moment too. No rush from either side.

Just want him to concentrate on being as good as he can, for us!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that case, he should be sold. £35 million is crazy money for his ability.
It's not black and white like that. He probably wants proof that he's in the first team plans and needs something tangible (game time) as an indicator.

I would think that Lage showing faith in him for three or four months will see negotiations begin. MGW probably sees the delay as a way of strengthening his hand provided he's playing well.

It's a gamble for everyone. Lage for showing faith, recruitment for turning down big money and MGW for having belief in his own ability.

Back
Top Bottom