Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key for me now is Nuno has to play him more centrally rather than on the right. Play him as a no10 at Spurs.
I think thats unfortunately been MGW's biggest issue. He's judged (rightly) on how he plays when the vast majority of his wolves games have been out of position, either as a wide forward or winger. So he gets a rough deal from fans when he's being played as a square peg in a round hole.

Id have him over Podence playing behind the centre forward any day of the week.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key for me now is Nuno has to play him more centrally rather than on the right. Play him as a no10 at Spurs.

Agree,
One of the reasons I want to see more of MGW and Vitinha starting in midfield is they bring a new dimension to the team as they attack the goal centrally which also plays to young Fabio's strengths rather than us always attacking from out wide which has been a staple of Nuno's game plan since he took over.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think thats unfortunately been MGW's biggest issue. He's judged (rightly) on how he plays when the vast majority of his wolves games have been out of position, either as a wide forward or winger. So he gets a rough deal from fans when he's being played as a square peg in a round hole.

Id have him over Podence playing behind the centre forward any day of the week.

On current form MGW would be in every time ahead of Podence as a no10.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree,
One of the reasons I want to see more of MGW and Vitinha starting in midfield is they bring a new dimension to the team as they attack the goal centrally which also plays to young Fabio's strengths rather than us always attacking from out wide which has been a staple of Nuno's game plan since he took over.

Totally agree.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree,
I think our wide forwards have got wider as we’ve progressed under Nuno. In the Championship both Jota and Cav came inside a lot as did Costa with Doherty and Douglas providing width. In the Premiership we played 2 up front for 2/3rds of the season and started that way last season. The development of Traore into a regular first team player along with Neto meant that we were a lot wider and the full backs came inside, which suited Jonny and Doherty adapted.

Over the last month or two Traore has begun to play narrower as was Neto before his injury.

MGW isn’t a wide player as many have pointed out. He is more of the number 10 or inside forward. If we can get the two holding midfielders right (I can’t see Nuno dropping to 1 unless chasing a game) then we have quite a few different options including different formations. I can see anything from a 4:2:3:1 to a 4:2:2:2 with even a 3:1:4:2 (Barcelona’s supposed formation on Sunday) a possibility.

We also need the full backs to offer the width not the forwards, as I want the latter attacking the box not the bye line as that’s where they’re likely to cause more damage.

If over the next 3 games MGW is ability to show what he did on Sunday wasn’t a flash in the pan, and I don’t see why he can’t, then he gives Nuno options and food for thought. Which is something I thought I wouldn’t say when he went to Swansea as I thought that was it for his career at Wolves.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think our wide forwards have got wider as we’ve progressed under Nuno. In the Championship both Jota and Cav came inside a lot as did Costa with Doherty and Douglas providing width. In the Premiership we played 2 up front for 2/3rds of the season and started that way last season. The development of Traore into a regular first team player along with Neto meant that we were a lot wider and the full backs came inside, which suited Jonny and Doherty adapt.

I defintely agree with this. Our centrehalfs have played progessivley narrower too.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Hes only made10 starts for us and Sunday was the first time he’s played 90 minutes.barely any playing time really.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On current form MGW would be in every time ahead of Podence as a no10.
Agree,but on his day Podence is the best of the two, but his best only comes 1 in 10 games, so i would prefer MGW every time,
Also Podence is everything i hate about football these days, A CHEAT, and he;s not even good at it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if Nuno constantly play MGW out of position, then maybe Nuno should go after all.;)

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Took a deeper look at MGW's performance versus Brighton and two things are apparent:

1. He always wants to be involved in the play
2. He makes mistakes because he tries stuff
I enjoyed that video and think you are band on with your points.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If MGW is to stay he has to be given a proper chance as a No.10 otherwise I can see no point in playing him out wide where his skill set is negated. His game is all around subtle flicks and passing precision (when he is at his best). He is not a slouch but no speed merchant. He must start to score a few goals now as well as get more assists if he is going to justify a place in the team. Its 50:50 still whether he is going to make it with us or disappear to a Championship or recently promoted Premier League team.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Vitinha as a no10. He looks better playing from deeper and bringing the ball through midfield as he does for Portugal u21's.
I think we’ve been trying to use him deeper than a traditional 10.
Think of it as 42 diamond.
Or 433 but still with 2 holding midfielders.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure about Vitinha as a no10. He looks better playing from deeper and bringing the ball through midfield as he does for Portugal u21's.
And yet he still looks miles better than Podence on their current forms :)

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watched him closely today and thought he did well. Seems to be brushed off the ball less easily than in the past and played some nice give and gos. Should have got an assist had Silva hit the target. Generally looks like he's improving to me.
I was in the 'Wolves should cash in at the end of the season camp' but I'm beginning to wonder if that might be a mistake.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched him closely today and thought he did well. Seems to be brushed off the ball less easily than in the past and played some nice give and gos. Should have got an assist had Silva hit the target. Generally looks like he's improving to me.
I was in the 'Wolves should cash in at the end of the season camp' but I'm beginning to wonder if that might be a mistake.
Unless he enjoys being played out of position and then getting hooked after performing well in his actual position then he may want to leave to get a fair crack somewhere else

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a fan of MGW, but was the best of the "kids" by some distance. Should be given the next couple of games as CAM over Vitinha.

D

Deleted member 11157

We do tend to get soppy and sentimental over players like Danny, Stears and a whole host of others who ultimately are nothing more than 1 in 5 players that are not at the level we aspire to. At one point Colin Larkin was the next Bully ( Or was it Shaun Bradbury).

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At one point Colin Larkin was the next Bully ( Or was it Shaun Bradbury).
Colin Taylor

I'm sure Bradbury must be one of the only players in Wolves history to have more goals on his account than goals though. Didn't he play once on the final day, scored twice, and then was never seen again?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a fan of MGW, but was the best of the "kids" by some distance. Should be given the next couple of games as CAM over Vitinha.
Agree, not a fan at all but thought he did well, Vitinha was atrocious.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why wont Nuno play him in the centre as a no10 in his best position? Whenever he goes in the middle he looks far better. Why cant he play Vitinha deeper, where he should play and MGW as a no10? Still baffled at how MGW was subbed and Dendoncker stayed on the pitch as well.
Two nil down and you take off your one real attacking threat from midfield and replace with another holding midfield player.

D

Deleted member 11157

Colin Taylor

I'm sure Bradbury must be one of the only players in Wolves history to have more goals on his account than goals though. Didn't he play once on the final day, scored twice, and then was never seen again?

Ah yes Colin. He of the Blues game. Both him and Shaun arrived galloping on white horses and trotted out of town on donkeys.

Much prefer the quiet effectiveness of the boy Otasowie.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree, not a fan at all but thought he did well, Vitinha was atrocious.
Agreed mate. I normally think Vitinha looks to have some quality, but he was rubbish today.

Back
Top Bottom