Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where was that? Must have missed it. Seriously, I'm not convinced he's actually done anything other than show potential. Loads of players score goals at youth level. We have some in our Under-23's already. I'm not saying he wouldn't score some goals in the Championship, but double MGW numbers? Based on what? Having seen both MGW and Fabio at similar ages - 18, 19 - MGW was so much the better footballer. There is nothing special about Fabio at all.
Time will tell……..

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sensible enough. Though what basis is there for thinking that he will "throw a strop"? There was a common thing that got repeated about MGW havingbad attitude. No convincing evidence for it. And what does he have to do to prove himself? Other players seem to get chance after chance to prove themselves - and underwhelm everytime, but then are given another chance. Trincao and Fabio, for example.

This seemed half the problem with MGW. He was given 15 minutes at the end of matches, in any spare position and told to "prove himself". Put too much pressure on. And at Sheff U, given a fairer chance of a place and also put in his best position, he's at last looking like a genuine generational talent!

I thought it was fairly common knowledge hes a bit of a diva. I've seen a few interviews with the players where they say as much, One with Coady springs to mind immediately and i've mentioned it ages ago on here that my Nephew knows him and played in the same side as him when he was younger, and he said he gets stroppy when he doesnt get his own way. I dont think anyone is saying his attitude is bad as such.

Trincao and Fabio ( and others ) have pretty much had to play at times as they were available. MGW wasnt here because he chose stay at Sheffield instead of trying to force his way into the side. I personally think if he backed himself we would have played plenty since January if he carried on his good form. You ask what he has to do to prove himself, well he basically has to come back, be prepared to work hard and get an opportunity. We offered him that in January and he turned it down.

Last edited:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where was that? Must have missed it. Seriously, I'm not convinced he's actually done anything other than show potential. Loads of players score goals at youth level. We have some in our Under-23's already. I'm not saying he wouldn't score some goals in the Championship, but double MGW numbers? Based on what? Having seen both MGW and Fabio at similar ages - 18, 19 - MGW was so much the better footballer. There is nothing special about Fabio at all.

Neither were ready for the Premier league at 18-19. It just takes patience.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm really hoping Lage plays him as a number 10 for us. He'd be completely wasted out on the wing.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m bored and was curious as to how Morgans season compares to recent players in a similar position who have come back from a Championship loan to do well in the Prem.

Mason Mount: Played 38, scored 9, assisted 4
Harvey Barnes: Played 26, scored 9, assisted 6
Morgan GW: Played 28, scored 9, assisted 7

Having a really bloody good season, glad to see him in the U21’s and can’t wait to see him back in old gold next season.

Edit: Updated to include todays game and goal
Finishes the season on 11 goals and 9 assists.

Extremely impressive.

Well done, Morgan. Good luck in the playoffs.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think he would want to come back here. Seemed to get a fair bit of abuse from so called supporters which seems to be a thing regarding local guys like Karl Henry, Lee Naylor , Adam Proudlock Leon Clark. I just despair with with some of our supporters I recollect Bully getting abuse when he missed a few shots.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it all comes down to whether Sheff Utd get promoted or not. If they do, I think they'd be happy to spend £20m+ on him because he's the centrepiece of that team - and I think we'll sell him. I can't see the top brass turning down that kind of money, sadly.
The thing is that we're not going to get an equivalent player for that kind of money.

I've said it before (and a few others as well) if he wasn't a Wolves player, he would be exactly the kind of player we would be imploring Wolves to sign.

As he is a Wolves player, we have to give him a run of games. He looked good towards the end of Nuno's final season and he was overjoyed to score for us.

I really hope we give him a chance next season.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing is that we're not going to get an equivalent player for that kind of money.

I've said it before (and a few others as well) if he wasn't a Wolves player, he would be exactly the kind of player we would be imploring Wolves to sign.

As he is a Wolves player, we have to give him a run of games. He looked good towards the end of Nuno's final season and he was overjoyed to score for us.

I really hope we give him a chance next season.
Oh absolutely. I don't want to sell him, and really think he deserves a chance here. I just think our owners will cash in if he comes up with Sheff Utd.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Don’t think he would want to come back here. Seemed to get a fair bit of abuse from so called supporters which seems to be a thing regarding local guys like Karl Henry, Lee Naylor , Adam Proudlock Leon Clark. I just despair with with some of our supporters I recollect Bully getting abuse when he missed a few shots.
Completely correct this. I'd want to be at Sheff perm if I was him

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep I think if they get promoted he’d probably push for a move there as he knows he’s the main man. For that reason I’m hoping Morgan has a fantastic playoffs but Sheff Utd don’t go up.

Another thing is if Forest go up, I’m sure Steve Cooper will be in for him.

So, come on Luton.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW has done practically everything asked of him this season. Even so, so long as Fosun have a sell-to-buy policy if the right bid comes in (say 20m) I have no doubt that Wolves would sell.

After all, MGW is probably our #2 commodity after Neves.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW has done practically everything asked of him this season. Even so, so long as Fosun have a sell-to-buy policy if the right bid comes in (say 20m) I have no doubt that Wolves would sell.

Neves
Kilman
Coady
Sa
Neto
Semedo
RAN
Traore (questionable)
Jonny
Podence
MGW

So, 11th?

I really hope he stays because I like seeing youttt come through, but every player should always be for sale for the right price. 25 mil would be a huge fee.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Neves
Kilman
Coady
Sa
Neto
Semedo
RAN
Traore (questionable)
Jonny
Podence
MGW

So, 11th?

I really hope he stays because I like seeing youttt come through, but every player should always be for sale for the right price. 25 mil would be a huge fee.
Very much doubt teams are more interested in Jonny, Traore, Semedo, Coady and Podence ahead of MGW given wages, age, positional value and nationality all taken into account.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Speaking to Blade's fans yesterday they were enthusing over his performances, singing his praises and would love to sign him permanently

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trincao and Fabio ( and others ) have pretty much had to play at times as they were available. MGW wasnt here because he chose stay at Sheffield instead of trying to force his way into the side. I personally think if he backed himself we would have played plenty since January if he carried on his good form. You ask what he has to do to prove himself, well he basically has to come back, be prepared to work hard and get an opportunity. We offered him that in January and he turned it down.

I can see both sides of the issue, to be honest.

On the one hand, absolutely. He had the chance to come back and force his way in, and said no. It could be possible to infer from Bruno's comments about wanting to see which players would go to war with him, that his attitude would be 'Morgan had his chance.' If he had come back, he may well have been a spark that helped us finish 6th.

On the other hand, he went out on loan last season for a chance to get game time and build a reputation. He came back in January to help a club that was struggling, and then -for whatever reason- spent most of the remaining season on the bench.

If Bruno was to see Morgan staying at Sheff United in January as him not being willing to 'go to war' for the club, I understand it. But also if Morgan didn't want to risk wasting another half-season on the whims of a manager, I understand that, too.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Basically...for me it all comes down to Neves. Whatever we can do to keep Neves and build the team around him. If selling MGW (and a few others) allows that, I'd do it. But I think MGW has the abillity to do well for us in a 433, so if Neves wants to go this summer, then we should keep MGW.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Basically...for me it all comes down to Neves. Whatever we can do to keep Neves and build the team around him. If selling MGW (and a few others) allows that, I'd do it. But I think MGW has the abillity to do well for us in a 433, so if Neves wants to go this summer, then we should keep MGW.
Great point, if we can keep Neves and it means selling others then I’m afraid we have to let the others go, Gibbs White, Campana, Dendoncker should raise around £30m? Maybe a tad more

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the issue, to be honest.

On the one hand, absolutely. He had the chance to come back and force his way in, and said no. It could be possible to infer from Bruno's comments about wanting to see which players would go to war with him, that his attitude would be 'Morgan had his chance.' If he had come back, he may well have been a spark that helped us finish 6th.

On the other hand, he went out on loan last season for a chance to get game time and build a reputation. He came back in January to help a club that was struggling, and then -for whatever reason- spent most of the remaining season on the bench.

If Bruno was to see Morgan staying at Sheff United in January as him not being willing to 'go to war' for the club, I understand it. But also if Morgan didn't want to risk wasting another half-season on the whims of a manager, I understand that, too.

I see why he stayed as well. He is at a club he is doing well and playing good football at.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very much doubt teams are more interested in Jonny, Traore, Semedo, Coady and Podence ahead of MGW given wages, age, positional value and nationality all taken into account.
Maybe not Jonny and Traore's contract is problematic. Moot point I guess. Either we sell him for good cash or he stays and starts. No point keeping a 20 mil bench player.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I reckon Kilman is our number 2 most sellable asset for big money. A left footed, English central defender who plays well in the Premier league is fairly rare.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I reckon Kilman is our number 2 most sellable asset for big money. A left footed, English central defender who plays well in the Premier league is fairly rare.

While I agree on everything you say about what makes Kilman a good target, I think Coady is currently our number 2 sellable asset. Yes, Wolves fans debate him endlessly. But he's an England international, a premier league captain, he's praised throughout the league for his leadership, and many managers would want him in their squad. I think there are a few premier league teams who will be looking for dressing room leaders this summer as part of rebuild projects, and we might find they start sniffing round Coady.

I think RAN is third. Kilman fourth.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that Kilman and Coady are on other clubs radars, so are definitely good shouts. Neto should be higher up but hasn't recoveted from a serious injury.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep I think if they get promoted he’d probably push for a move there as he knows he’s the main man. For that reason I’m hoping Morgan has a fantastic playoffs but Sheff Utd don’t go up.

So, come on Luton.

I hope Forest go up

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So, come on Luton.

I think Sheffield United have said that they doubt if they could afford to sign him permanently, even if they win the play offs.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves
Kilman
Coady
Sa
Neto
Semedo
RAN
Traore (questionable)
Jonny
Podence
MGW

So, 11th?

In your list I would put MGW at 8th, but that said I would probably have Kilman at about 5th and Coady about 8th.
I also think that £25M would be a steal in the current market.

Brewster was sold for £23.5M!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Think he’s worth more than 20m. He’s young, English, an international, and has had a stand out season at Sheffield, helping to turn around their season. It’s a gamble given he doesn’t have much PL experience but I’d be looking for upwards of 30m for us to sell. Personally I’d keep him as I think he has something we miss in our current squad.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he’s worth more than 20m. He’s young, English, an international, and has had a stand out season at Sheffield, helping to turn around their season. It’s a gamble given he doesn’t have much PL experience but I’d be looking for upwards of 30m for us to sell. Personally I’d keep him as I think he has something we miss in our current squad.
Consider Brewster and McBurnie were both £20m MGW is so much better than both of them

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Exactly as he refused to come back in January doesn’t bode well for the summer, he took the easy option in my opinion
He took the “I’m first name on the team sheet here and enjoying my football” option. We gained more this way rather than having him comeback and playing him sporadically in an ineffective attacking unit. Right call, it’s not even a conversation. He won’t be going anywhere.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW definitely did the right think to stay at SU as ge desperately needed 1st team football as does/ did trincao.

Both are very young with two seasons before their peaks.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

While I agree on everything you say about what makes Kilman a good target, I think Coady is currently our number 2 sellable asset. Yes, Wolves fans debate him endlessly. But he's an England international, a premier league captain, he's praised throughout the league for his leadership, and many managers would want him in their squad. I think there are a few premier league teams who will be looking for dressing room leaders this summer as part of rebuild projects, and we might find they start sniffing round Coady.

I think RAN is third. Kilman fourth.
Unless they play a back 3 i don't think many teams would be looking at Coady

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Gut feeling MGW & Ruben will be sold, purely 'cos they are the most valuable pieces in Fosun's buy-to-sell game of chess. The former seems to have forged a good bond with SU and their fans too.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Gut feeling MGW & Ruben will be sold, purely 'cos they are the most valuable pieces in Fosun's buy-to-sell game of chess. The former seems to have forged a good bond with SU and their fans too.
Ruben maybe but they might view MGW having more upside and a little early if that's the strategy. If he comes back and takes it up a level, will be closer to a £50m player.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant see MGW going anywhere. If he can take him form into the premier league and have a decent season, his value will double in 12 month.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MGW will be with us i'm sure next season and be given a fair crack at the whip... I understand his reasons for wanted to go out on loan and get a full season, right and mature decision... as it turns out I think he'd have played for us more than he thought he would

He needs to feel the love when he comes back, as a confident MGW will get into an England squad next season I'm sure of it if he plays enough... but needs to play up front now or just behind, he's not an option for CM that's clear now

This is the kind of loan that the likes of Cundle, Hoever, Campbell and Bueno need next year. Take the champ apart like MGW has and you will get a place in the first team the following season, MGW will have proven that to them now

Back
Top Bottom