Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that they have signed 16 players and the fact squads are limited to 25 players I wonder how many of their players from last year will/can be included in their squad ?
Equally with so many incomings I am sure most of them will expect to start notwithstanding clubs can use 5 subs .

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's one reading of it but certainly not how I'd see it. Firstly you said no intention and nothing out there says that. But even if true, it's being done knowing the options. Nothing anywhere claims he'd desperate to stay, he just wants to play. At wolves he'd have been 3rd choice out wide. He needs to be playing, even if it ends up lower down the table for the next season
From Liam Keen's piece yesterday: "Gibbs-White was offered a new contract in May but has yet to sign it and the Express & Star understands he had no intention to sign it, which resulted in Wolves agreeing to let him go. He is having his Forest medical today."

He forced Jeff's hand by refusing the sign the deal on the table.

I saw MGW as someone who can play in an advanced central midfield position as well as wide, and he had two starts already this season in that position. I'm confident that his versatility and the fact that Bruno clearly rates him would have resulted in plenty of minutes this season, and more the next. A Nunes - Neves - MGW midfield was a distinct possibility. I think Gibbs-White has actually been rather myopic in all this, and if there is a winner in the equation, it's Wolves.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know he had no intention to sign it at the moment. That doesn't mean no intention to stay at wolves.

See my earlier post - it was always the right career move not to sign that contract.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that they have signed 16 players and the fact squads are limited to 25 players I wonder how many of their players from last year will/can be included in their squad ?
Equally with so many incomings I am sure most of them will expect to start notwithstanding clubs can use 5 subs .

Given that they lost 14 players after loans or contract expiry, it's not really an issue for them.

They could register all of their players over 21 and still only have a squad of about 23, with around half of them homegrown players.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From Liam Keen's piece yesterday: "Gibbs-White was offered a new contract in May but has yet to sign it and the Express & Star understands he had no intention to sign it, which resulted in Wolves agreeing to let him go. He is having his Forest medical today."

He forced Jeff's hand by refusing the sign the deal on the table.

I saw MGW as someone who can play in an advanced central midfield position as well as wide, and he had two starts already this season in that position. I'm confident that his versatility and the fact that Bruno clearly rates him would have resulted in plenty of minutes this season, and more the next. A Nunes - Neves - MGW midfield was a distinct possibility. I think Gibbs-White has actually been rather myopic in all this, and if there is a winner in the equation, it's Wolves.
I always felt he didn't truly believe he could make it at Wolves.. whether its the pressure of being a local lad, or fitting-in in the dressing room.. we will never know. I just read the whole situation as, he felt he had to go somewhere else to progress for some personal reason.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always felt he didn't truly believe he could make it at Wolves.. whether its the pressure of being a local lad, or fitting-in in the dressing room.. we will never know. I just read the whole situation as, he felt he had to go somewhere else to progress for some personal reason.

Being the local lad is a difficult tag, if you aren't immediately good enough like MGW some fans hold on to that. If he had gone on loan earlier rather than struggle to fit in the team for a few seasons that might have helped he was also was never a natural fit on our formation at anytime. And if 433 is our preferred option he isn't a natural fit either. Cooper knows his strengths and will be willing to build a team that support that as their big signing we can't do that. Sometimes players need a change of scenery and we both do well out of this deal. He did right by his career to hold out on the contract but equally we couldn't let that hang over us so right we cash in and we got a good amount too.

Classy message to be fair. I've read some very generic ones and that's one of the better ones.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Given that they lost 14 players after loans or contract expiry, it's not really an issue for them.

They could register all of their players over 21 and still only have a squad of about 23, with around half of them homegrown players.
Yes but as there were no number limits in the Championship I did hear yesterday they will have to move some on because they won’t be able to fit them all in.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We know he had no intention to sign it at the moment. That doesn't mean no intention to stay at wolves.

See my earlier post - it was always the right career move not to sign that contract.
That would only make sense if he stayed here.

How has it been the right career move? He has left a club that has recorded three top ten finishes in four years, where he has played every minute of the season under a manager who constantly talks about him to join a newly-promoted club where he will play most minutes under a manager who loves him.

At best, if we're generous, it's a sidewards move.

Yet, if you work on the basis that MGW wants to play at the highest level possible, he has gone from a mid-table side with two years on his deal (great opportunity to get a move within a year), to a mid-table side (at best) with five years on his deal. It's going to take in excess of £60m to sign MGW from Forest next year for a top club, so it's not going to happen.

Your point would only be valid if he stayed at Wolves to assess his options. He didn't.

He moved for the money, which is his prerogative, but it's quite incredible that people are not seeing it, in my opinion.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It happens in a lot of jobs/careers.

Sometimes when you've been somewhere for so long and from such a young age, you're always going to be viewed as the 'rookie' to some extent.

Takes a lot of time and effort and a huge amount of character and supreme talent to be able to go from that to become a mainstay of the side (like Harry Kane did for example).

Or you move on and elevate your status elsewhere instantly.

Good deal for us and a great move for Morgan's career this one.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm certainly not suggesting he actively wanted to leave. But, at risk of repeating myself, if you're a player whose contract expires at the end of next season, and you refuse to sign the deal put before you in good faith, several months ago - you put your chairman in an impossible position. Especially a chairman who is about to see an £18m asset leave at a massive discount this window, or even for free at the end of the season, because he didn't sell when stock was highest.

MGW might not have engineered the move, but he must have known he ran the risk of being railroaded out of the club by, IMO, holding out for more money. He tempted fate. Now, in my opinion, his career has taken a backwards step from a Footballing perspective, if not from a financial one. It's clear Bruno wanted him to play.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted about this. Modern football though eh. Just when there's a chance a tricky local lad might break through you replace him with a multi-million overseas signing engineered through a relationship with a 'super agent'. And everyone seems happy.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted about this. Modern football though eh. Just when there's a chance a tricky local lad might break through you replace him with a multi-million overseas signing engineered through a relationship with a 'super agent'. And everyone seems happy.
MGW made his own decision by refusing to sign the contract we offered him. Had to be sold this window really.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ultimately, I think people are happy because they want Wolves to be as good as they possibly can be.

Having Nunes in our side makes us better than having MGW in our side.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone's happy with the fee, not necessarily with the departure itself. I would have loved MGW to stay for the reason you describe; local players become a unique emotional focal point for the fans. And a Nunes - Neves - MGW midfield three could have gone on to define us for the next few years at least. Others think he is gone in part because of his own questionable choices, with which I agree.

D

Deleted member (smith)

I'm certainly not suggesting he actively wanted to leave. But, at risk of repeating myself, if you're a player whose contract expires at the end of next season, and you refuse to sign the deal put before you in good faith, several months ago - you put your chairman in an impossible position. Especially a chairman who is about to see an £18m asset leave at a massive discount this window, or even for free at the end of the season, because he didn't sell when stock was highest.

MGW might not have engineered the move, but he must have known he ran the risk of being railroaded out of the club by, IMO, holding out for more money. He tempted fate. Now, in my opinion, his career has taken a backwards step from a Footballing perspective, if not from a financial one. It's clear Bruno wanted him to play.

That’s the key…we wanted him to stay but he wouldn’t sign a new contract…he was willing to sign for forest …probably not for much more money but because he thought it was better for his career. His choice . Wolves had no alternative , he wasn’t railroaded he got what he wanted …his choice.

Wolves have learned from the Adama fiasco as a valuable asset will sit around to go on a free.

Roffeywolf

Reaction score
Both Nuno and Bruno weren't convinced by MGW. Okay Bruno picked him for the last two games and he looked okay. However, at 22 years old, okay is probably not good enough.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
probably not for much more money

You'd probably be surprised by both the relatively low amount he was on here, and by the amount he'll be getting from Forest as their record signing and number 1 target.

I don't know the figures, but the only available info suggest his wage here was as low as £1,500 per week!!

I'd imagine the new contract offer from us was significantly more than this, but also significantly below what Forest are paying him.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our achievement was arguably the greatest by a newly promoted club in the entirety of this century, after 2001 Ipswich, yet it has been memory holed in short order by the plurality of sports media. I won't lie - the way they fawned over Leeds' midtable place finish, and how Bielsa somehow wended his way onto the Manager of the Season shortlist when Nuno was snubbed, really bothered me. Perhaps they view us as some corrupted puppet of the wicked super agent, and that what we achieved somehow doesn't count?
I think our football under Nuno didnt inspire the sports media luvvies and narcissists.
It was pragmatic and effective. But look who has the blue print for longevity.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lovely message.
But I am really glad he has left, I feel we are a club far more at ease now he has gone.
Will follow his progress with interest at Forest , wish him the best if he is a nice lad, , but I dont expect much from him , perhaps the odd cameo .

Yeah. Any player that won't sign a contract tends to be a distraction. Look at how much time we spend talking about him and Traore.

I'd imagine it takes up a lot of time internally too.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah. Any player that won't sign a contract tends to be a distraction. Look at how much time we spend talking about him and Traore.

I'd imagine it takes up a lot of time internally too.
Spot on. And in the end I saw nothing on the pitch that balanced out all that disruption.
Can you imagine playing and training every day with Traore and MGW , who are wanting more money or to leave.
We have all worked with these type of guys , it can sap the life out of you.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I was hoping he would be an important player for us this season and wanted him to stay when I thought we were going to carry on potentially plodding on as we were trying to finish as high as possible but essentially keeping away from relegation trouble. Now that it seems the project is back on and we will hopefully be pushing for Europe again, maybe not this season but going forwards, then I am not that bothered that he has gone. It was clearly the right thing for the club to do financially and it was always debateable if he could reach the heights we hoped he could. We at least now have that money to replace him whether we do that now or wait till Jan or next season and I am sure we can find someone at least as good if not better or we can use the money for a replacement if needed elsewhere in the side.
I am ultimately a Wolves fan and players come and go, and it's not as if he has been a long time regular starter or mainstay of the team, and all I want is to see us progress and become the best we possibly can and if I was having to make the decision in the circumstances as they are then I would have felt there was really no choice other than to sell.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much chatter about his situation .
But on the pitch I saw nothing to warrant he should stay with us .And his temperament made me uneasy and his play was frustrating. So I feel no sense of loss at all. I just hope he was treated fairly for his sake

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wrote that very well. As a reader, I fully understood the context and absorbed like osmosis, your preferred positive of one scenario and the negatives of the other.
It’s still complete nonsense, though.
Why wouldn’t we be happy?
We signed a player on his way to super stardom, for virtually the same price as selling a bit part player who has struggled to make any sort of impact at Wolves.
I didn’t shed any tears when Lescott went, or Robbie Keane, Keith Andrews, Lee Naylor, when Murray retired, or when Adam Proudlock and Leon Clarke (who scored everywhere but here) disappeared up their own arses.
MGW going for £35m plus, is a dream come true.

Balti Pie

Reaction score
Mixed feelings. The talent is obviously there, but we never really got to see it at Wolves. Mainly because was very young and needed to develop, and when he did play the system never really suited him. I think we've taken the decision to not let his contract run down and sell whilst his stock is as high as it's ever been. As It stands it's a good deal, although only hindsight will know the truth.

Good luck to him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on his interview with forest on YouTube, he had zero intentions of staying on and was desperate for the move when it came up to him as he wanted it done And “is happy to finally be here”

Bye mate, enjoy the championship next season…….

Blown it big time in terms of development and exposure here. We are a bigger and better club than forest now.

What a mistake he has made by not signing the new contract that started the chain of events that led to him needing to be sold to avoid another traore.

D

Deleted member (smith)

You'd probably be surprised by both the relatively low amount he was on here, and by the amount he'll be getting from Forest as their record signing and number 1 target.

I don't know the figures, but the only available info suggest his wage here was as low as £1,500 per week!!

I'd imagine the new contract offer from us was significantly more than this, but also significantly below what Forest are paying him.

If that’s the case no one can blame him….

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wrote that very well. As a reader, I fully understood the context and absorbed like osmosis, your preferred positive of one scenario and the negatives of the other.
It’s still complete nonsense, though.
Why wouldn’t we be happy?
We signed a player on his way to super stardom, for virtually the same price as selling a bit part player who has struggled to make any sort of impact at Wolves.
I didn’t shed any tears when Lescott went, or Robbie Keane, Keith Andrews, Lee Naylor, when Murray retired, or when Adam Proudlock and Leon Clarke (who scored everywhere but here) disappeared up their own arses.
MGW going for £35m plus, is a dream come true.
I'm not saying it's not the right decision for everyone involved given the fee and our incomings. But it's not nonsense to say that from a certain perspective (i.e. mine) that it's disappointing: I'd have loved to have seen a local lad in there with our Portugueezers tearing it up.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like I said earlier in the thread, MGW told Sellars when he came back from Sheffield United that he wanted to leave and had no intention of signing a new contract.

The timing appears to be purely down to the club bringing in another player before letting him leave.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Half their starters were loans last season so they had to sign at least 5 or 6 . Add five subs and you can see why they have gone nuts. It could go well it could go badly but absolutely no forest fan can say they didn’t back the manager . If they go down they will go down swinging. I hope they do really well in 34 of their remaining 36 games . Cooper deserves the accolades given having picked up a sad rag tag bunch from Hughton one that we annihilated in the carabao last year. Even Trincao scored! Like Leeds the premier league is better with a club like forest in rather than some others we could name. Good luck Morgan. Sorry it never really happened got you here but you go with my absolute best wishes. Good luck and I hope it works out really well for you

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely wish him all the best, great to see someone come through the academy and succeed. Would’ve liked to have kept him in the squad but in all honesty with Guedes coming in I think he would have struggled for game time, so I understand his desire to go somewhere he’ll be the main man. I hope he kicks on and makes it as a good PL player.

Back
Top Bottom