Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wonder if any football fan knows exactly what "False 9 " actually means, completely gone over my head,
Imagine the manager telling the Doog or Richards "you're playing as a false nine today"
The Doog " I'll wear a false beard and raincoat"
John Richards " OK put me down for a flat cap, Sunglasses, and walking stick,
Ready Boss,
From what I can fathom it's a when your main goal scorer tends to play closer to the top of the midfield rather than holding a higher line - the underlying thinking is it poses a problem for the centre backs in that they either leave him unmarked or pull themselves out of position.

Tends to be suited to those more nimble players who like to carry the ball a bit rather than more out and out target/lay-off type of players.

I guess it's almost like playing a number 10 but without a further striker in front of him

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I can fathom it's a when your main goal scorer tends to play closer to the top of the midfield rather than holding a higher line - the underlying thinking is it poses a problem for the centre backs in that they either leave him unmarked or pull themselves out of position.

Tends to be suited to those more nimble players who like to carry the ball a bit rather than more out and out target/lay-off type of players.

I guess it's almost like playing a number 10 but without a further striker in front of him
I thought it meant you were just pretending to have a 9 when really you don't have a striker at all.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan’s got that massive price tag weighing round his neck in a poor team. They’ve done the proverbial “Chuck enough mud and hope it sticks” approach that rarely works.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i feel for him, but should never have left, im not saying the lad could have saved lage's season, but in regard to MGW, he was built round captained in preseason looked like they were really saying MGW is here to stay and be a big part.

But you know who knows, hindsight is a wonderful thing, i dont think the players around him at forest are going to let him flourish, he is running around but looks lost

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nandor Hidegkuti was the original false 9, gave our own Billy Wright the run around for the Mighty Magyars. Just like the "modern day" formations, all been done before, only they used terms like half backs, WM formation, inside forwards, deep lying forwards, not quite as snappy and mystical as the terms used today though ;)

Yeah, it all goes in cycles!!

Pep's City play a variation of the old Italian Metodo or Hungarian WW formation.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really wonder if any football fan knows exactly what "False 9 " actually means, completely gone over my head,
Imagine the manager telling the Doog or Richards "you're playing as a false nine today"
The Doog " I'll wear a false beard and raincoat"
John Richards " OK put me down for a flat cap, Sunglasses, and walking stick,
Ready Boss,

1970s MolMix post:

I really wonder if any football fan knows exactly what "total football " actually means, completely gone over my head,

Imagine the manager telling Billy Wright or Stan Cullis "you've got to stop playing partial football, and start playing total football"

Billy Wright "But I always play for the total game, subs haven't been invented yet!"

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Thanks Beastier, think i can now understand it a bit more, I think the Doog can stand down then,LOL. although King John could do the job.
Cheers

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
1970s MolMix post:

I really wonder if any football fan knows exactly what "total football " actually means, completely gone over my head,

Imagine the manager telling Billy Wright or Stan Cullis "you've got to stop playing partial football, and start playing total football"

Billy Wright "But I always play for the total game, subs haven't been invented yet!"
or even Eddie Clamp. God forbid LOL.
I think all this mumble jumble has made a very simple game complicated, the big problem back in the day was explaining the off-side rule to the ladies.
now you would need a degree to get your head around that one,

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
False 9. I was good mates with Greg Strong, ex Rhyl FC manager. At Motherwell he regularly marked Henrik Larsson, so he knows his onions. He reckoned anything which pulls the centre half out of position is a pain. Guess this is the thinking behind false 9 malarkey.

MGW getting pelters on social media from Forest fans. Given the fee, always going to be under close scrutiny. Not our concern anymore.

floydstreet

Reaction score
I think mgw and Lage didn’t gel.
Ultimately he didn’t believe Lage when he said he’d play him or was important

He’s probably fuming right now that he left and Lage has been sacked

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Morgan’s got that massive price tag weighing round his neck in a poor team. They’ve done the proverbial “Chuck enough mud and hope it sticks” approach that rarely works.
For many of us he wasnt much good without the price tag weight.
I dont know what anyone saw in him . I really didn't.
But I did only watch him play for us.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think mgw and Lage didn’t gel.
Ultimately he didn’t believe Lage when he said he’d play him or was important

He’s probably fuming right now that he left and Lage has been sacked
We get at least £25 million. Good timing.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Funnily enough my eldest lad effectively plays a false 9 position for his Saturday team. He drops off the forward line to get on the ball which confuses the opposition centre backs and leaves gaps between them and the full backs which their two quick wide players exploit very effectively.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funnily enough my eldest lad effectively plays a false 9 position for his Saturday team. He drops off the forward line to get on the ball which confuses the opposition centre backs and leaves gaps between them and the full backs which their two quick wide players exploit very effectively.
It can work if you have the right players to do it mate - I've coached at kids level for quite a few years and I've always been an advocate of having a system that suits the players you have rather than trying to crow-bar them into a particular way of playing. You typically only get a few hours a week with them so no point doing too intense with systems and formations......just something they can understand quickly that fits them.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine it works brilliantly in park football. In the pro game with scouting and media coverage, defending teams know what they're up against and can prepare.

When I played football on a Sunday, preparation meant no beer after midnight before the match.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It can work if you have the right players to do it mate - I've coached at kids level for quite a few years and I've always been an advocate of having a system that suits the players you have rather than trying to crow-bar them into a particular way of playing. You typically only get a few hours a week with them so no point doing too intense with systems and formations......just something they can understand quickly that fits them.

Totally agree. But by the same token kids watch a lot more footy these days so are open to understanding more than just 442

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine Bruno walking into another job. I was positive that would be it for him in top tier big league football and he'd be wallowing around mid-table in the Portuguese league. If he shows up at Forest I won't stop laughing for weeks.

As for Gibbs-White, well most of us would have predicted how it would turn out for him. They've massively overpaid the English tax in a season where grabbing bargains just to stay up and stay the right side of FFP is the priority. He could turn out to be a very good player still, but inflated expectations, an inflated fee and a change of manager from his mentor definitely call into question whether he will fulfill his potential.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
False 9. I was good mates with Greg Strong, ex Rhyl FC manager. At Motherwell he regularly marked Henrik Larsson, so he knows his onions. He reckoned anything which pulls the centre half out of position is a pain. Guess this is the thinking behind false 9 malarkey.

MGW getting pelters on social media from Forest fans. Given the fee, always going to be under close scrutiny. Not our concern anymore.

Yeah, must be the fee. Because performance wise, he's far from their biggest problem. He's a flair player meant to create - and he has done that when I've watched them. It's their Championship level defence that needs fixing.

Back
Top Bottom