Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux future capacity

Reaction score
I'm a Sunderland fan and I was wondering about your future stadium expansion

Do you think you have the fanbase to fill a for 40,000 capacity ground?

I see Leicester are going to a similar capacity soon so that will be interesting to see the demand if they become a run of the mill midtable team

Our old chairman was over ambitious because the stadium of light started at 42,000 when first built but increased to 48,000 just three years later. This is too big for our fanbase unless we're doing well which never materialized.
.The away end is the additional tier for those who've been to our ground.

Thanks and good luck for the season

D

Deleted member drgr12429

40,000 and we would fill it every week (as long as we are successful) imo. 45,000 maybe not.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we are very similar to Sunderland in that we need the team to be doing well but just as important the price of a season ticket needs to reflect a deprived area as such.....£450/500 we sell out....we dont need loads of hospitality areas, but reasonable priced seats...... the last 4 seasons big games 45/48k....lesser teams 35/37k......so to sell out every most weeks probably 40k would be sufficient..

Honestly the last 4 seasons I think we could off got a crowd of 45k about at least 30 times if the capacity had allowed but certainly not every game..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I see Leicester are going to a similar capacity soon so that will be interesting to see the demand if they become a run of the mill midtable team

Our old chairman was over ambitious because the stadium of light started at 42,000 when first built but increased to 48,000 just three years later. This is too big for our fanbase unless we're doing well which never materialized.

Last time we played at stadium of light was last game of our championship winning season. There was only 28,000 there but Sunderland wouldn’t give us any more tickets. There were large areas of ground next to away fans that had hardly anyone in, but because there were some season ticket holders in there they couldn’t or wouldnt move them.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 38k would be about right for us atm , but partly that is because I’d rather some games having more demand than seats, than have other games ( midweek v unfashionable team) that had lots of empty seats.
Anything over 40k and I think they would need to reduce prices a bit to sell out regularly.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
It depends on success, pricing and opposition.

If we had a team challenging for the top 6 playing Man U and selling tickets for £30, we'd sell 40k easily.

Play Brighton in a mid table clash with £40 tickets and we'd be lucky to sell out 30k.

All of it is currently irrelevant as it's not going to happen.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40,000 probably doable every other week.

There's a load of potential season ticket holders still waiting.

Question is, can the current ground get to that level without significant investment? Probably not.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I’ve consistently said, 45k would be good if we sustain top half PL football. Big games sold out, but some space in less popular parts of the stadium for the majority of games. Average gates in the low 40’s

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's only about 10 tickets left for 8th vs 11th at the end of this month!
Yes that thought occurred to me too. It’s rare we don’t have an effective home sell out of our current 32k capacity no matter who the opposition, time of game or if broadcast or not.

R

reanswolf

In my opinion we don't have a fanbase like Sunderland's, we averaged 20,000 in the 3rd tier whereas Sunderland would average 35000 given that exact same circumstance of winning it, maybe more.

We have sold out every home game in a 32000 capacity for 3-4 years, as you would expect considering where we are. We are said to have 12,000 on our season ticket waiting list, but I doubt we could sell 12,000 more in reality. We cap it at about 22-23000 STs and the remaining 4-5000 weekly attending Wolves fans you would presume are part of that waiting list, so I think 35000 would be adequate for us, 40,000 at a push but that would mean a lot of games with empty seats.

The one unknown with Wolves is that in modern times we have clearly grown as a club, and so it is a bit of an unknown how much we could get if we had a larger stadium. Our capacity has been 28000 then 32000 since 1980, prior to that we did get 40,000+ on a few occasions with 7-8000 away fans in Cup games, and over 50,000 on 4 occasions in the 1970s, but the away support then was Leeds (20,000+), Liverpool (25,000+) in League deciders, and 10,000 v Cov and Leeds in the Cup QFs. So the most number of Wolves fans at a game at Molineux in my lifetime 1970s onwards is about 40,000. Mind you we took 52,000 to Wembley in the 1988 Sherpa Van Trophy Final.

I just don't think we could regularly sell more than 35,000 home tickets unless we were a top 4 club. And at reasonable prices. STs this year were disgracefully pushed right up to a cheapest adult price of £550 (I think) and I was surprised people paid that in this area.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the Premier League, I would like to think around 40,000.

The price of the tickets would be a big factor. I can see it being financially tough for many people in the next couple of years or more, not just Wolves fans, but for fans across the country.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sunderland’s attendances have been outstanding given the situation they are in. However, I don’t see us and our potential as any different. This isn’t rose tinted glasses but dates back to living in the North East in the early 90s and seeing Wolves play various times at Roker Park. The attendances were not higher than ours at that time and it was a case of build it and they will come - helped that they had a good Premier run after building it. If we are successful and there is a positive vibe and sensible pricing then I don’t see why we couldn’t have at least 40k and potentially 45k. Sunderland moved to Stadium of Light at end of 97/start of 98. Figures below.

1649867046553.png

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think @reanswolf has pretty much nailed it - I think 35k or 40k maximum, unless West Midlands Police allowed us to regularly offer 5,000+ away fans. Probably half of the premier league teams could sell that if they were on offer as we are not hard to get to.

In those situations we could perhaps get over 40k for a regular premier league game. We always have pulling power for one off big games that capture the imagination of area - @reanswolf example of the 1988 Sherper Van is good example. People who have probably never set foot in Molineux since went to that game.

The two things that could make a difference are success and pricing.

If by some miracle we started to push into the top 4 then I could see us pulling in more (especially if other local teams such as Albion and Walsall drop down the leagues). But this is not going to happen via lots of extra investment, I think the only way is some sort of Class of 92 event where you get three or four world class academy players come through at the same time - highly unlikely. Although our owners do like high quality (but cheap) youngers from Portugal so you never know.

If they built a bigger ground and priced it correctly, that might have an impact but I very much doubt that is the business model of the current owners.

Personally, I don't think they will do anything more than fill in a couple of corners and possible reconfigure/refurbish the Steve Bull stand. They are not going to spend £60m+ on knocking it down and rebuilding it. Not going to happen.

I think our capacity will be capped at about 35k - which would mean them filling in the one corners and perhaps adding a tier on the South Bank

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utterly pointless thread. We’re not expanding the stadium anytime soon. We already have a stadium thread. The debate about how big a stadium we would like has been had about every 10 pages on the stadium thread, with everyone who has an opinion, saying more or less the same things each time!

Do we need a bigger stadium? Yes, absolutely as long as we remain in the PL it will be full every game and thousands will be unable to get a ticket. All that means is that the club will keep ramping up prices until supply matches demand and more and more people will get priced out, and the crowds will get older and quieter.

How big would we need? Opinions range from somewhere between 35k and 50k, with the majority in the 40-45k range.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utterly pointless thread. We’re not expanding the stadium anytime soon. We already have a stadium thread. The debate about how big a stadium we would like has been had about every 10 pages on the stadium thread, with everyone who has an opinion, saying more or less the same things each time!

Do we need a bigger stadium? Yes, absolutely as long as we remain in the PL it will be full every game and thousands will be unable to get a ticket. All that means is that the club will keep ramping up prices until supply matches demand and more and more people will get priced out, and the crowds will get older and quieter.

How big would we need? Opinions range from somewhere between 35k and 50k, with the majority in the 40-45k range.
Spoilsport - next you’ll be telling me I can’t tell the same jokes and stories repeatedly to my friends….

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sunderland’s attendances have been outstanding given the situation they are in. However, I don’t see us and our potential as any different. This isn’t rose tinted glasses but dates back to living in the North East in the early 90s and seeing Wolves play various times at Roker Park. The attendances were not higher than ours at that time and it was a case of build it and they will come - helped that they had a good Premier run after building it. If we are successful and there is a positive vibe and sensible pricing then I don’t see why we couldn’t have at least 40k and potentially 45k. Sunderland moved to Stadium of Light at end of 97/start of 98. Figures below.

View attachment 27529
don`t forget the population of sunderland is approx 100,000 more than wolvo.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion we don't have a fanbase like Sunderland's, we averaged 20,000 in the 3rd tier whereas Sunderland would average 35000 given that exact same circumstance of winning it, maybe more.

We have sold out every home game in a 32000 capacity for 3-4 years, as you would expect considering where we are. We are said to have 12,000 on our season ticket waiting list, but I doubt we could sell 12,000 more in reality. We cap it at about 22-23000 STs and the remaining 4-5000 weekly attending Wolves fans you would presume are part of that waiting list, so I think 35000 would be adequate for us, 40,000 at a push but that would mean a lot of games with empty seats.

The one unknown with Wolves is that in modern times we have clearly grown as a club, and so it is a bit of an unknown how much we could get if we had a larger stadium. Our capacity has been 28000 then 32000 since 1980, prior to that we did get 40,000+ on a few occasions with 7-8000 away fans in Cup games, and over 50,000 on 4 occasions in the 1970s, but the away support then was Leeds (20,000+), Liverpool (25,000+) in League deciders, and 10,000 v Cov and Leeds in the Cup QFs. So the most number of Wolves fans at a game at Molineux in my lifetime 1970s onwards is about 40,000. Mind you we took 52,000 to Wembley in the 1988 Sherpa Van Trophy Final.

I just don't think we could regularly sell more than 35,000 home tickets unless we were a top 4 club. And at reasonable prices. STs this year were disgracefully pushed right up to a cheapest adult price of £550 (I think) and I was surprised people paid that in this area.
I agree mostly , but as you said the one unknown is modern times ......wolves have 2 million Instagram followers Sunderland have 300k.....whilst you maybe right judging it by your life watching wolves, it's a different world nw...

It's a different world watching football nw to what we've been used to ...overseas fans , fans traveling from all round the country to watch wolves home games ..these things didn't happen it our day ..

Everybody said the same about west ham when they got larger ground, they don't need a bigger ground, won't sell 50k every week.....but by correct pricing OAP n junior tickets they have managed to do it..

People want to go to football these days, from all walks of life...buy and large in our era they didn't...for me crowds previously don't hold as much relevance today ..

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s a thread on developing Molinuex you can flick through if you’ve got a couple of weeks spare.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
48000 if we are staying as a top half team and that has to be are aim.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expandable stadium needed.
50,000 for when we get in to the Champion League , but able to be part dismantled and stored in a warehouse in Dudley for when we are in The Championship or worse.
Renamed "Fickle Stadium"

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
50,000 for when we get in to the Champion League , but able to be part dismantled and stored in a warehouse in Dudley for when we are in The Championship or worse.
Renamed "Fickle Stadium"

Ah, great plan. See your thinking there. Like the pool at London 2012, which was scaled back after the games, which Budapest copied for their new competition pool for the swimming championships when I was there. Maybe Fosun could make the bits compatible with Grasshoppers stadium, so we can share the extra bits with them. ;)

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Renamed "Fickle Stadium"
Need to consult with the parochial house on Craggy Island. I believe when it's stormy they take the roads in and store them in a warehouse on the other side of the island?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don't know, but I think we have more chance of filling it than you mate!

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don`t forget the population of sunderland is approx 100,000 more than wolvo.

We have a greater catchment area, the North East tend to be one city supported clubs, Newcastle is Newcastle, Sunderland is Sunderland and Middlesbrough is Middlesbrough, obviously this is not set in stone, but in main is true.
The West Midlands population is so dense, no jokes please, Dudley has a population of approx 340k alone.
We have supporters in staffs,Shropshire, Worcestershire. But I still believe 40k is the magic number

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a greater catchment area, the North East tend to be one city supported clubs, Newcastle is Newcastle, Sunderland is Sunderland and Middlesbrough is Middlesbrough, obviously this is not set in stone, but in main is true.
The West Midlands population is so dense, no jokes please, Dudley has a population of approx 340k alone.
We have supporters in staffs,Shropshire, Worcestershire. But I still believe 40k is the magic number
w.mids and N.E. about the same at 2.8 million so they have an advantage with fewer clubs
we need to convert outlying fans to come to Wolves.I see many coaches going to Vile from around the Midlands.
We need a larger ground with cheaper tickets.Of course we need a winning team over a period of time.
Stats are saying even with the temp.stand closed and based around a capacity including that stand
we are around 96% capacity(think that is 7th. best in the prem)

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I completely agree with this, a sensible view without the gold tinted specs. There is absolutely no way we should ever build a stadium over 40k. If we had 40k and averaged 35/36k it will look and feel soulless like City’s ground most weeks. Give me a packed out 32k over a few k empty seats and 40k stadium any day.

Simply knock the Bull stand down, follow the North Bank round to join the Sount bank and make the south bank a larger single tier stand. 38/40k max.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many fans expectations in our pulling power are wrong, distorted by the decades in the wilderness. There are several generations of declared wolves fans, locked out waiting to be let back in, especially on a walk up basis.
If the current position is maintained then I think a 40-45k average could be attained, push into the top 4 then 50k seats could be filled for A games and European nights.
50k is practically unobtainable in the short term unless we are planning to move somewhere else 'in the town'. If that's not on the cards then I think we need to get to 40-45k at Molineux asap, even if we have to go down to half
capacity for a season. We need more revenue. The only thing that worries me is the increased cost of living having an as yet unknown effect.

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree mostly , but as you said the one unknown is modern times ......wolves have 2 million Instagram followers Sunderland have 300k.....whilst you maybe right judging it by your life watching wolves, it's a different world nw...

It's a different world watching football nw to what we've been used to ...overseas fans , fans traveling from all round the country to watch wolves home games ..these things didn't happen it our day ..

Everybody said the same about west ham when they got larger ground, they don't need a bigger ground, won't sell 50k every week.....but by correct pricing OAP n junior tickets they have managed to do it..

People want to go to football these days, from all walks of life...buy and large in our era they didn't...for me crowds previously don't hold as much relevance today ..

You lost me at Instagram, ridiculous analogy and comparison

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff said that the interest cost was too high a year or so back. at the time interestr rates were at their lowest ever. they are rising now as is the cost of building materials. so, there is literally no chance of a rebuild. that opportunity was not taken. the time to rebuild was 2016-2020. molineux won't change now for at least a decade

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Jeff said that the interest cost was too high a year or so back. at the time interest rates were at their lowest ever. they are rising now as is the cost of building materials. so, there is literally no chance of a rebuild. that opportunity was not taken. the time to rebuild was 2016-2020. Molineux won't change now for at least a decade
I don't know about interest rates but Everton are pressing ahead with their £505m new stadium, despite fans fears it may be stopped.

Back
Top Bottom