Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux Atmosphere

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It probably all depends on how you view the effect of loud encouragement from the stands can have on the teams chances of winning. To see Bruno Klopp Conte at times urging more noise from the crowd they obviously feel it makes a big difference to getting the team the 3 points
But many players have said they don`t hear the crowd when they are playing

superwolves

Reaction score
But many players have said they don`t hear the crowd when they are playing
We'll never know about that but the stats show there's a big advantage playing at home for some teams so crowd influence obviously plays a big part in that. Why do we generally play better against the teams at the top when the crowds more up for it than against teams struggling at the bottom

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We'll never know about that but the stats show there's a big advantage playing at home for some teams so crowd influence obviously plays a big part in that. Why do we generally play better against the teams at the top when the crowds more up for it than against teams struggling at the bottom
Exactly. Certain matches, the atmosphere is just flat from the start. Invariably the team are then also flat. Brighton at home is a recent example.

As a support I feel that we need to be on it from the start, not waiting for the players to determine the atmosphere. We’re close to becoming complacent in the Premier League. Under Nuno every match was highly charged as it was a big event, the Premier League was new and the support was up for it. This has changed recently. The performances haven’t helped.

I’m not calling for any gimmicks, I hate goal music (particularly this latest nonsense inspired by our feeble defeat in Barcelona), I just think that pre-kick off the club could do more to ramp up the atmosphere. I’d love to see us flying more banners, some of those seen at Cardiff and Wembley were brilliant, clever and witty.

superwolves

Reaction score
Exactly. Certain matches, the atmosphere is just flat from the start. Invariably the team are then also flat. Brighton at home is a recent example.

As a support I feel that we need to be on it from the start, not waiting for the players to determine the atmosphere. We’re close to becoming complacent in the Premier League. Under Nuno every match was highly charged as it was a big event, the Premier League was new and the support was up for it. This has changed recently. The performances haven’t helped.

I’m not calling for any gimmicks, I hate goal music (particularly this latest nonsense inspired by our feeble defeat in Barcelona), I just think that pre-kick off the club could do more to ramp up the atmosphere. I’d love to see us flying more banners, some of those seen at Cardiff and Wembley were brilliant, clever and witty.
Exactly that. Our points tally at home this season is abysmal. The crowd have to improve aswell as the team it will help get more points on the board

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's almost like Molineux is designed to have a crap atmosphere: the two noisy bits, the South Bank and the Steve Bull wing, are divided by an acoustic barrier; the North Bank, already on the decline, had it's potentially nosiest part (under the top tier) given over to the padded seat mob; the side stands are miles from the pitch; and we switch away fans between stands, meaning the North Bank quadrant never develops a consistent culture of fans who want to be near the away fans.

Considering all that, we do alright for lots of games. Like I've said before, our recent reliance on newer, copied songs about players and Nuno has meant it's harder to get stuff going when they aren't firing (or have been fired!).

I know it's a well worn argument that exasperates some on here (though not on other social media) but let's bring back the Liquidator. Also, remove the screen from the SB/SB corner. And thirdly make a decision on where away fans sit, even if it means losing a few bob. Also, let's us fans get the older songs going again, that's half the problem.

superwolves

Reaction score
It's almost like Molineux is designed to have a crap atmosphere: the two noisy bits, the South Bank and the Steve Bull wing, are divided by an acoustic barrier; the North Bank, already on the decline, had it's potentially nosiest part (under the top tier) given over to the padded seat mob; the side stands are miles from the pitch; and we switch away fans between stands, meaning the North Bank quadrant never develops a consistent culture of fans who want to be near the away fans.

Considering all that, we do alright for lots of games. Like I've said before, our recent reliance on newer, copied songs about players and Nuno has meant it's harder to get stuff going when they aren't firing (or have been fired!).

I know it's a well worn argument that exasperates some on here (though not on other social media) but let's bring back the Liquidator. Also, remove the screen from the SB/SB corner. And thirdly make a decision on where away fans sit, even if it means losing a few bob. Also, let's us fans get the older songs going again, that's half the problem.
You make some good points. I don't know what's happened to TWTD who some claim to be our anthem half rush through it to the point it can barely be heard near the end. I'd personally have the team coming out to Wandering star that hi ho drivel needs replacing let villa Sheffield wed and all the others that play it have that we should have our own none copied song by now

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You make some good points. I don't know what's happened to TWTD who some claim to be our anthem half rush through it to the point it can barely be heard near the end. I'd personally have the team coming out to Wandering star that hi ho drivel needs replacing let villa Sheffield wed and all the others that play it have that we should have our own none copied song by now
If we came out to Lee Marvin's version it'd definitely slow the coked-up lads down who sing 3 lines turbocharged then start with we hate albion! I'd be happy with that. It's still the Liquidator for me though; tried and tested and the WMP argument doesn't hold up anymore now the **** play it.

superwolves

Reaction score
If we came out to Lee Marvin's version it'd definitely slow the coked-up lads down who sing 3 lines turbocharged then start with we hate albion! I'd be happy with that. It's still the Liquidator for me though; tried and tested and the WMP argument doesn't hold up anymore now the **** play it.
Nothing has come close to the Liquidator for pumping up the crowd before kick off but I think it would be back now if it was gonna happen. They could even play wolves are gonna win today its got much more relevance than hi ho which should have been binned years ago

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing has come close to the Liquidator for pumping up the crowd before kick off but I think it would be back now if it was gonna happen. They could even play wolves are gonna win today its got much more relevance than hi ho which should have been binned years ago
We should be singing that more than once a decade:
Wolves, are gonna win today
Play at home or play away
Wonderful Wolves are here to stay
Wolves, are gonna win today clap clap clap (repeat)

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When no-one else can understand me......

Get the balboys coming out to Simply The Best as well.

In all seriousness, mixing it up a little wouldn't hurt. We established a pretty cool pre-match experience with the pyrotechnics and cafe del mar but things very quickly go stale. A bit like our team it needs freshening up, albeit even more regularly. And no goal music, ever.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No coincidence that Newcastle form improved unbelievably when the crowd responded to an improvement and the way they have made the matchday experience one to savour with flags and huge banners being unfurled pre match......

Been said already our best periods were under Bruno when the crowd and players seemed to be as one with large banners , pyro etc.......Would love to see the S bank a mass of flags and banners pre match even if it does **** of some of the old farts who still wish the Happy Wanderer and Simply the best were played pre match and we politely clapped when a goal is scored ......

Actually envied Liverpool fans at the end of the cup final .......fantastic scenes

R

reanswolf

Molineux is dreadful with its wide open spaces and disconnected stands, though i know someone will come along and say "it was ok for the Manure QF", but the point remains the atmosphere is substandard compared to close-knit grounds close to the pitch.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
An
Molineux is dreadful with its wide open spaces and disconnected stands, though i know someone will come along and say "it was ok for the Manure QF", but the point remains the atmosphere is substandard compared to close-knit grounds close to the pitch.
Agree any future development has to involve filling in the corners. Even if it’s not necessarily with seats but we have to find a way to connect the stands.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be singing that more than once a decade:
Play at home or play away
Wonderful Wolves are here to stay
Wolves, are gonna win today clap clap clap (repeat)
Yes, I've quoted myself. I like to do this with the missus but usually preface it with 'somebody wise once said...' Yes, she hates me.

Just thinking though, there's the possibility that at least one of Jiminez, Coady and Neves could leave this window or the next. With Nuno and his song long gone where does that leave us in terms of our repetoire? Going as far back as late-era Bully (so my whole Wolves life) we've been overly reliant on player songs over Wolves songs. In that period though between Bully and Fosun there was a slow resurgence of club-related songs (culminating for me in the Charlton away game where we were incredible, singing all our songs very loudly a few times each; I wish someone had recorded that), but since then there has understandably been a desire to focus on celebrating individuals.

Is it time now to re-evaluate what/who we celebrate? I think this need was most obvious for me last season when at one game we belted out the Raul song even though he wasn't on the pitch or needed to come on; we'd just run dry! Certain songs are sung loader than they were in the mid to late 90s (TWTDMF being the best example), and there are songs like wolves ay we now I don't remember being sung back then, but most have died off. Even our staples have gone quiet: come on you wolves, we are wolves, and it's Wolverhampton, etc.

I stand in a pretty lively bit of the ground but I'm not a song starter, more an enthusiastic joiner-in. We really need the back of the South Bank to go back to basics for me.

Last edited:

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

i don't think it's *dreadful* but we're definitely at a disadvantage and if it drops off, it's not good. i think all told in recent years it's been pretty good but disappointing since return from covid

i think put wolves fans in better environment and add alcohol and they can be phenomenal

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bring back.

In Dublins fair city.

10,20,30,40,50,or more.

Bit on the head.

We're a grand old team to play for.

Knees up mother brown.

Jeremy the sugar puffs bear.

If I had the wings of a sparrow.

We hate Nottingham forest.

:p

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i don't think it's *dreadful* but we're definitely at a disadvantage and if it drops off, it's not good. i think all told in recent years it's been pretty good but disappointing since return from covid

i think put wolves fans in better environment and add alcohol and they can be phenomenal
Agreed. BrAga away was one upper tier for wolves fans in a very open ground.

A belly full of beer that night and the atmosphere was electric. Second half especially - it can be done

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give us a team that attacks and I'm still convinced we'd have one of the best in the league.

I get reans point about the ground but the reality is that most of the noise will come from the South Bank and that's right on top of the pitch.

That would be 5-6k or whatever it is, making noise non-stop and there's a lot in the Steve Bull who are basically the same.

We just need a team that goes for it. The atmosphere in this country, at every ground, is linked to what you see. We are statistically, and from what you see, one of the most boring teams in the country. Give us a team with energy and intensity and I'm convinced Molineux would easily be one of the best in the country (which isn't actually a massive compliment compared to Europe).

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give us a team that attacks and I'm still convinced we'd have one of the best in the league.

I get reans point about the ground but the reality is that most of the noise will come from the South Bank and that's right on top of the pitch.

That would be 5-6k or whatever it is, making noise non-stop and there's a lot in the Steve Bull who are basically the same.

We just need a team that goes for it. The atmosphere in this country, at every ground, is linked to what you see. We are statistically, and from what you see, one of the most boring teams in the country. Give us a team with energy and intensity and I'm convinced Molineux would easily be one of the best in the country (which isn't actually a massive compliment compared to Europe).
I agree mostly. (It's 5k in the SB). But we're also running dry on songs we currently sing... I think this contributed at least a little bit to the dire atmosphere in the last few games. Even if it didn't, it'd be a better laugh if we sang a better variety of songs; round me in J10 it was barmy army or bust by the end of the season.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bring back.

In Dublins fair city.

10,20,30,40,50,or more.

Bit on the head.

Knees up mother brown.

Jeremy the sugar puffs bear.

If I had the wings of a sparrow.

We hate Nottingham forest.

:p
I reckon the last of these might get a run out at least twice next season. I'd love us to revive grand old team, yes it's sung by Everton, Spurs and Celtic too but it also used to be one of ours, and it's a belter.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
I reckon the last of these might get a run out at least twice next season. I'd love us to revive grand old team, yes it's sung by Everton, Spurs and Celtic too but it also used to be one of ours, and it's a belter.
I’ve been going since 1977 and never heard that sung.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
I agree mostly. (It's 5k in the SB). But we're also running dry on songs we currently sing... I think this contributed at least a little bit to the dire atmosphere in the last few games. Even if it didn't, it'd be a better laugh if we sang a better variety of songs; round me in J10 it was barmy army or bust by the end of the season.
Yep, we don’t have many uplifting song these days plus we keep on singing that Conor coady Albion song that is just miserable.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's very rare that a football club has its own song that nobody else copies,to some extent.Especially today.I mean a team gets a new tune gewin and all of a sudden everyone has a version.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been going since 1977 and never heard that sung.

What Grand old team ?

We're a grand old team to see.
And if,you know your history.
It's enough to make your heart go oooh.
We don't care what the Albion say.
What the hell do we care.
For we only know.
That there's gonna be a show.
And the Wolverhampton wanderers.
Will be there.

Last edited:

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Songs always start at away games before coming back to Molineux over the next few games.

One factor I don’t think has been mentioned is that it’s becoming increasingly difficult/expensive to travel by trains these days, especially since Covid. There seems to be a lot more people on coaches disappearing to random towns before pulling up to the grounds late. I noticed that a lot last year that there seemed to be less fans going via train and around the host town before games, compared to before the pandemic. That’s where the seeds of new songs start, on the trains, in the pubs.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Songs always start at away games before coming back to Molineux over the next few games.

One factor I don’t think has been mentioned is that it’s becoming increasingly difficult/expensive to travel by trains these days, especially since Covid. There seems to be a lot more people on coaches disappearing to random towns before pulling up to the grounds late. I noticed that a lot last year that there seemed to be less fans going via train and around the host town before games, compared to before the pandemic. That’s where the seeds of new songs start, on the trains, in the pubs.

mostly on the away concourse now.Throwing the beer everywhere. :mad: some of em must be med of money.

superwolves

Reaction score
It should be easier nowadays to get new songs going with the chance to use Internet sites plus we've got wolfpack howlers who may be open to the idea to help improve the atmosphere. Suppose it all depends how important people want it

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
As much as people will moan, every time the crowd went quiet, the drum brought them back to life at the England game, with just the clapping with it and England chant at the end. In the 70’s and 80’s an air horn used to have the same effect down the Molineux. Simple chant but the drum and the horn enabled all areas of the ground to catch on. Got to be worth a try, if either used correctly it works, and not just random drumming annoying everyone, which doesn’t.

superwolves

Reaction score
If it makes it a better environment for the players to play in and makes it more fun to be at the match with more noise and songs then it's worth it

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe people just don't sing like they used to? People don't drink as much now. But we can definitely sing better songs, more about Wolverhampton, Wolves and Molineux instead of a player who stays for 2 seasons.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And our away lot are very loyal and committed but they ay the young local mob you'd expect to be getting new songs going.

I think we'll see over the next few seasons a revival of older more Wolves-related songs after the early Fosun era players are sold or get older (Neves off (or is he?), a new role for Coady, Moutinho retiring/leaving soon, Raul not as influencial - that's our repetoire ****ed).

The Dendonker song was class but I think the fact Liverpool hadn't shown it could be noisy meant it never got going.

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And our away lot are very loyal and committed but they ay the young local mob you'd expect to be getting new songs going.

I think we'll see over the next few seasons a revival of older more Wolves-related songs after the early Fosun era players are sold or get older (Neves off (or is he?), a new role for Coady, Moutinho retiring/leaving soon, Raul not as influencial - that's our repetoire ****ed).

The Dendonker song was class but I think the fact Liverpool hadn't shown it could be noisy meant it never got going.
I liked the Donk song but it was almost as though because the tune wasn’t established at another club it never really took off. Even when he was playing well.

Similarly the Neves song to Fatboy Slim. Quality, original, never got further than a few folk in SL4 area of the south bank.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked the Donk song but it was almost as though because the tune wasn’t established at another club it never really took off. Even when he was playing well.

Similarly the Neves song to Fatboy Slim. Quality, original, never got further than a few folk in SL4 area of the south bank.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. We seem to lack confidence. The Donk one in particular was class!

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep seeing this on here. Think it’s a bit of a myth really, there’s plenty of young uns go, increasingly so since we’ve been promoted. Ditto the same old myth that the South Bank is full of new fans/non singers when the atmosphere pre covid was as good as it’s ever been since it reopened in 93/94.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom