Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux Atmosphere

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's more than enough archive footage of Wolves in the 70s available to cast serious doubt on this rose tinted view that Molineux was a cauldron of noise and constant singing every single game

In fact enough evidence to say it's absolute *******s

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There's more than enough archive footage of Wolves in the 70s available to cast serious doubt on this rose tinted view that Molineux was a cauldron of noise and constant singing every single game

Have to agree as well. Under the South Bank roof once singers had switched from North Bank it was really loud, however the size of the terrace meant a lot of it was lost by the time it got to the pitch. The south bank noise was always from the back, the front half were more watchers. Long time ago thou, memory can play tricks.

R

reanswolf

Have to agree as well. Under the South Bank roof once singers had switched from North Bank it was really loud, however the size of the terrace meant a lot of it was lost by the time it got to the pitch. The south bank noise was always from the back, the front half were more watchers. Long time ago thou, memory can play tricks.
Absolutely, that is the way it was, mostly concentrated by the fence - probably up to 5000 singers at a maximum and not too different to the 6000 today in the South bank, though just as then, it was way better when we were underdogs or for a big game.

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I’ve seen enough re runs of old games and of course being present at games from mid 70’s onwards to agree with this. I’d also say watching re runs of other teams games that it was similar everywhere. Atmosphere in English grounds varies during games and from game to game.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I say it did? I was replying to a poster saying we need a standing section. Butt out!

We have a standing section.The whole of the South bank.BUT if you mean a singing section then I agree,it needed to be behind the goal in SL3.NOT right up the top corner out of the way.Why are they up there,am they scared of being on the tele. :tonguewink: You then get people joining in from both sides which will mek it louder.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
We have a standing section.The whole of the South bank.BUT if you mean a singing section then I agree,it needed to be behind the goal in SL3.NOT right up the top corner out of the way.Why are they up there,am they scared of being on the tele. :tonguewink: You then get people joining in from both sides which will mek it louder.
I think because most of people in S3,4,5 have been there since the stand was built. Blocks of seats only became available when S1, 2 were always home fans. Also it's much easier to create an atmosphere under the lower roof at the back.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I tried to get the chanting going in the north bank upper after Brightons penalty miss but it was all in vein

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tried to get the chanting going in the north bank upper after Brightons penalty miss but it was all in vein
In J1 and it was embarrassing - the noisy 12 year olds in NB Quad with their cow milking signs were having a field day and we could muster nothing at all. Never heard the South Bank and it felt the supporters were as flat as the players - chicken and egg which comes first?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I watched both the Wolves game and the Leeds game on TV yesterday. The contrast wasn't even night and day, it was bigger than that. Alright, the Leeds fans were ********* all game, throwing paper at Grealish (possibly not then...) but Elland Road still full at the end. Packed, noisy and passionate. On TV Molineux looked 2/3 empty at the end.

beppe7619

Reaction score
In J1 and it was embarrassing - the noisy 12 year olds in NB Quad with their cow milking signs were having a field day and we could muster nothing at all. Never heard the South Bank and it felt the supporters were as flat as the players - chicken and egg which comes first?
I feel fans dwell on things to much and over react when Brighton missed the pen I was telling the players to wake up where our fans was just cheering the save. Be proactive

ChesterWolf

Reaction score
One of the worst I’ve ever heard Molineux yesterday. Don’t think I heard the South Bank once.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that people leave with 5 minutes to go to beat the traffic, but I've never seen so many fans exit before then.
Not a reflection on our fans at all. Our record of not coming back from behind speaks for itself, and, worryingly, in the last two games, far from making a token bit of progress, we have actually got worse.

Last edited:

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched both the Wolves game and the Leeds game on TV yesterday. The contrast wasn't even night and day, it was bigger than that. Alright, the Leeds fans were ********* all game, throwing paper at Grealish (possibly not then...) but Elland Road still full at the end. Packed, noisy and passionate. On TV Molineux looked 2/3 empty at the end.

They were playing Man City, one of the best team in the world and we were playing Brighton.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lack of atmosphere is down to the ****e football on display. It bores you to tears. Look at our goals scored, look at our xG, look at the amount of 0’s next to Wolves’ name in games this season. We haven’t scored a goal in half of our games! We are dreadful to watch. It’s hard to get an atmosphere going for Coady passing to Boly, who passes to Moutinho, who passes to Saiss, who passes to Coady, who goes back to Sa and repeat.

The atmosphere was brilliant when we used to pressure teams and attack with pace. Now we barely create a chance all game.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were playing Man City, one of the best team in the world and we were playing Brighton.
They’d been on a good run, were fighting for their lives, scored goals and had optimism. We have been on a poor run and never score goals. Side set up with no possibility of scoring (corner aside) and then pass around our goal line with no outball.

Rocking first half vs Leeds - as good as any this season - hope that kills you.

Warrington_Wolf

Reaction score
Speaking generally, there are so many things which are part of modern football which undoubtedly have an impact on atmosphere - not just at Wolves but across the country.

Major thing at the minute though is performances on the pitch - the fans can tell within 5 minutes whether the players are in the mood. They clearly weren’t yesterday and no amount of ‘Those Were the Days’ would have changed that.

We are awful to watch and have been for 2 seasons - I was longing for one of them to crash into a challenge and take a booking after we went 2-0 down but there was nothing. No desire or passion.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday a lot of season ticket holders had decided not to come. All those round me didn’t go. It impacts the atmosphere as the dynamic changes, fans who don’t go often aren’t used to it and aren’t going to start a chant. It’s not a criticism of them but it’s like a party with strangers, sometimes they’re good and sometimes they’re poor. It does need the team to perform.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've said in another thread we have a group of around 18000 who follow us week in week out, we have attracted a number of fairweather fans since we got promoted this time round, these fans will disappear if we ever find ourselves struggling again most of these would disappear I know men in there 30s who were united/Liverpool fans before Nuno now they have wolves seasons tickets....there were certainly no bloggers, vloggers or samosa sales when we were mid table championship.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
I get that people leave with 5 minutes to go to beat the traffic, but I've never seen so many fans exit before then.
Not a reflection on our fans at all. Our record of not coming back from behind speaks for itself, and, worryingly, in the last two games, far from making a token bit of progress, we have actually got worse.
the way it`s going you will be better staying until the end to beat the traffic

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday a lot of season ticket holders had decided not to come. All those round me didn’t go. It impacts the atmosphere as the dynamic changes, fans who don’t go often aren’t used to it and aren’t going to start a chant. It’s not a criticism of them but it’s like a party with strangers, sometimes they’re good and sometimes they’re poor. It does need the team to perform.
It was noticeable around me that there were quite a few families, many more than normal, so I guess there were tickets available. I thought before the game that it was great to see, but there were many who left at around 70 minutes and certainly before the game finished. I hope they return. But a combination of dreadful football, a toxic atmosphere in the stands second half and those teenage, ****tish Brighton fans meant, I guess, it wasn't the experience the kids had been hoping for.
Regardless, I didn't hear the South or North Bank once throughout the game, but understandable I guess.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s what I said. Ground was less than half full by 90 mins. We got straight out no problem when final whistle went

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
As many have said it's the football that kills the atmosphere. So tedious and boring. You know we aren't going to create chances or score goals and after the opposition score you know it's over.

Said at the game it felt like the tactics were to get to 60 minutes at 0-0 then bring Neto and Raul on and go for it for the last half hour.

Watching the same defence and midfield for 4-5 years, losing Jota and Adama the 2 most likely to do something unexpected.

It all feels very flat especially as Europe was a long shot anyway after Newcastle and Burnley. Turning the last 5 into end of season friendlies.

R

reanswolf

It was noticeable around me that there were quite a few families, many more than normal, so I guess there were tickets available. I thought before the game that it was great to see, but there were many who left at around 70 minutes and certainly before the game finished. I hope they return. But a combination of dreadful football, a toxic atmosphere in the stands second half and those teenage, ****tish Brighton fans meant, I guess, it wasn't the experience the kids had been hoping for.
Regardless, I didn't hear the South or North Bank once throughout the game, but understandable I guess.
I know the Southbank weren't singing en masse, but I though they were singing ok first half, along with the few in the top of the Steve Bull. But guess neither are loud enough to be heard at the other end of the ground.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Standard of football we have played for a while is leading to apathy.
Also lack of investment in the first team squad has made a lot of fans disappointed.

Most of us can see what is going to happen before it happens I'd have had a wager with anyone before the game we wouldn't score and we didn't.

Being told the likes of Hwang/Trincao/Silva maybe even Raul are the answer when you can clearly see they are not means apathy sets in before even a ball is kicked.

The booing and general feeling yesterday was as bad as I've seen it very toxic and until we get some quality players in it won't change...even Traroe would give the crowd a lift with a crazy run yet some bright director of football decided it was a good idea to loan him out.

Last edited:

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just think it’s poor now, no need to go over the top

Was great under nuno

Swings and roundabouts. It’ll come again

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was that way yesterday. We stayed behind 5 mins after the final whistle and Broad Street car park was almost empty when we got there :D

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was it with the amount of cameras in the Brighton crowd, Vloggers? Sit on the front row of J1 and the exchange we had with them was definitely more entertaining than what was on display on the pitch

ChesterWolf

Reaction score

Can’t blame it on non STH when the atmosphere has been terrible all season.

The South Bank being all STH has negatively impacted the noise at Molineux. There is clearly a large number of STH in there who have no interest in actually contributing to the atmosphere.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said this last week, but people blamed the roof.....it's the people in it....it's one of the worst stands in the country for singing .. there is about 10 who bother .....blaming the roof is waffle ...as I said stick Leeds fans in it it would bounce.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I've said in another thread we have a group of around 18000 who follow us week in week out, we have attracted a number of fairweather fans since we got promoted this time round, these fans will disappear if we ever find ourselves struggling again most of these would disappear I know men in there 30s who were united/Liverpool fans before Nuno now they have wolves seasons tickets....there were certainly no bloggers, vloggers or samosa sales when we were mid table championship.
If we think like this though we will always be a selling club going between divisions. But I do understand what you are saying

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Said this last week, but people blamed the roof.....it's the people in it....it's one of the worst stands in the country for singing .. there is about 10 who bother .....blaming the roof is waffle ...as I said stick Leeds fans in it it would bounce.
In general Leeds do make a noise but they didn’t make a peep against us until Raul was sent off. English football atmosphere more than not reacts to what fans see on the pitch, and lately we’ve seen nothing to get the stadium going.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In general Leeds do make a noise but they didn’t make a peep against us until Raul was sent off. English football atmosphere more than not reacts to what fans see on the pitch, and lately we’ve seen nothing to get the stadium going.
Agree in general...but there has been no atmosphere in the north bank for the last 5 season...I nw I sit in it.....if we cor sing the last few seasons, they aye never gonna sing.....I just chucked Leeds in , cause all 4 sides didn't stop singing at elland road this season....despite being 0-1 down..

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree in general...but there has been no atmosphere in the north bank for the last 5 season...I nw I sit in it.....if we cor sing the last few seasons, they aye never gonna sing.....I just chucked Leeds in , cause all 4 sides didn't stop singing at elland road this season....
You’re right, I sit in there too, very rarely any singing.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
not only the fans left early only a small number of people in Wolves half of the director`s box remaining
after the final whistle while the Brighton lot still there.
A few hundred Wolves fans stayed to applaud the players as they ambled off

Back
Top Bottom