Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mistakes.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being Complacent after finishing 7th and a European quarter final we should of pushed on
Along with this January, had a chance of top 6 but didn't push on
We only needed a couple more incomings

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll go for not pulling the trigger when we were primed to kick on… so far.

I do think that we are about to embark on Fosun’s worst mistake yet though; an accumulation of lack of activity and pro activity in the last 3 transfer windows meaning we’ve got to completely redo everything in one window with a manager who most are on the fence with.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the things we have done are poor....Silva deal (currently), I think Semedo has been OK, not his fault that there are other more pressing concerns, signing Hwang too soon...

It's the things we haven't done that are the biggest mistakes, the lack of planning for midfield replacement, defensive options to allow us further up the park etc, those to me are the biggies.

T

TheConcourse

100% agree,but i am sure it is so we learn from the mistakes as well.I do think we need a top football man on the staff somewhere
Yep. I think the biggest thing for me is that transfers will never be an exact science - essentially guesswork with a heap of assumption, huge financial risk and massive competition.

When you look back and analyse the signings most of us would have made a strong case for them. Hwang. Even Hoever.

We need to cut the club some slack and enjoy the process of trying to build something unique.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll go for not pulling the trigger when we were primed to kick on… so far.

I do think that we are about to embark on Fosun’s worst mistake yet though; an accumulation of lack of activity and pro activity in the last 3 transfer windows meaning we’ve got to completely redo everything in one window with a manager who most are on the fence with.
Why do we need to redo everything?
We ****ed up in January not signing a central midfielder and letting Adama go. We would probably be in europe if it wasn't for that.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Revisionism. We looked terrible at the end of Nunos reign. We look terrible now but no way can anyone say Nuno might have got us into Europe … they all (inc Nuno) looked shot.
Nuno had lost his mojo for reasons we will not know for sure but apparently players and management had lost support for him. It was right that he went, rather than potentially be sacked in December.

T

TheConcourse

Nuno had lost his mojo for reasons we will not know for sure but apparently players and management had lost support for him. It was right that he went, rather than potentially be sacked in December.
Yeah, I wish they’d worked harder to sort the issues out - perhaps they couldn’t. But I agree with you. Nuno looked totally out of ideas and exhausted.

Lots of rumours at the time that he totally shut down internally with senior leadership too, and everyone in the club felt disappointed that they couldn’t turn it around. No animosity internally from my source inside the club, just frustration.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
In fairness, we have got a hell of a lot right these last few years.

For me, the biggest mistakes have been:

1. Not having signed a top midfielder to upgrade on Dendoncker.

2. The Silva fee. I’m one of those who is convinced he will end up a top player but £35m for someone of that age who had barely played any first-team football was hugely inflated.

3. Not signing Vitinha as the long-term replacement for Moutinho.

4. Weakening the squad when in a position of real strength in January.

5. Sacking our most successful Manager of recent times and then not giving his replacement any real backing.

As I say though, everyone makes mistakes and we’ve been incredibly fortunate to enjoy the success we have over these last few seasons.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do we need to redo everything?
We ****ed up in January not signing a central midfielder and letting Adama go. We would probably be in europe if it wasn't for that.
Because we are losing a number of first team players who will all need replacing and then we need to add to the senior squad numbers.

Soho Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's like we've driven to London as a team to visit Buckingham Palace and got to the start of The Mall, then whoever is in charge has told the driver to turn around and head for home. We can SEE Buckingham Palace - it's right there but for some reason we won't carry on and reach the destination.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The transfer window after the second PL season. The Silva transfer was a shocker. He might be a £100 million player one day, but that really wasn't the right time for us to be spending that type of money on an 18 year old.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you had to say what the club 's worst mistakes have been over the last couple of years - what would you say?
The price paid for fabio, the price paid for semedo, then buying cutrone, then buying hwang. 100 million right there.
Invest in a top level recruitment team please.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm using Tring's post as a template here.

1. Not having signed a decent midfielder to upgrade on Dendoncker.

2. The Silva fee. A joke, I'm sorry. He looks like he might have something but that's not worth the cash we spunked to a club like us.

3. Not signing anyone as the long-term replacement for Moutinho.

4. Weakening the squad when in a position of real strength in January.

5. Semedo for Doc. The former is the better footballer but he's no wing back.

6. Not recognising that we need that dynamic central midfielder and instead spending cash on a wing back (not a priority) and a child.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest mistake in recent years, in my opinion, was selling Jota and not replacing him properly. Other mistakes include ignoring signing ready made first team central midfield players for several years as well as centre backs that are first team ready.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish they’d worked harder to sort the issues out - perhaps they couldn’t. But I agree with you. Nuno looked totally out of ideas and exhausted.

Lots of rumours at the time that he totally shut down internally with senior leadership too, and everyone in the club felt disappointed that they couldn’t turn it around. No animosity internally from my source inside the club, just frustration.
I had heard similar, along with the fact that it was known he was off a few weeks before he went.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not having a scouting and recruitment network independent of Mendes.

Reactions: Ned

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Hate to turn this into another Fabio thread...but yeah it's without a doubt buying him. Even his biggest supporters (I am not one) have to admit that spending that kind of cash on a project player instead of improving the first team was organizational malpractice. Even if he comes good one day and is worth the fee, we essentially wasted a transfer window after making it to a Europa QF.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Letting MGW go on loan after an impressive pre-season. To compound the error he will probably now be sold to Forest for 20m instead of 35m because he is not Portuguese and therefore not a wonder kid.
Instead of offering a contract he is unlikely to sign they should state he's not for sale, lay out the red carpet and give him consistent starts in his favoured position.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The cost of Fabio Silva & not replacing Ryan Bennett

There’s been a few

Willywolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think bringing up the Silva fee continuously shows that fans are perplexed and bemused by it. I look at it in the way that if he hits his potential (and I personally believe he does have a huge amount of potential but being thrust into first team football the way he was didn’t help his development), then he is quickly talked about as a £50m plus player, which we won’t pay and we all think it’s another one that got away.
All football clubs and individuals get things wrong/make mistakes. We are no different to any other in that respect. Hopefully Fosun are learning from the things they get wrong because they’ve got an awful lot right and should be applauded for where we are as a club.

R

reanswolf

Being Complacent after finishing 7th and a European quarter final we should of pushed on
Along with this January, had a chance of top 6 but didn't push on
We only needed a couple more incomings
Absolutely.

Bought the wrong positions after Seville, ignored midfield totally.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to turn this into another Fabio thread...but yeah it's without a doubt buying him. Even his biggest supporters (I am not one) have to admit that spending that kind of cash on a project player instead of improving the first team was organizational malpractice. Even if he comes good one day and is worth the fee, we essentially wasted a transfer window after making it to a Europa QF.
Yea, I love Fabio and really want him to come good but it’s hard to argue with the timing and the size of the fee being terrible - especially for a club our size.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I imagine most of the £35m for Fabio is still to be paid based on a load of criteria being met

I very much doubt it's had the impact on spending folk think

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest mistake in recent years, in my opinion, was selling Jota and not replacing him properly. Other mistakes include ignoring signing ready made first team central midfield players for several years as well as centre backs that are first team ready.
Neto was the Jota replacement.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nuno wanted Semedo to change our style so we had a right back who could do more than goal-hang

If we'd have signed him and a CM +CB for Jota money that would have been fine

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not really sure that is fair.
Could easily be argued the succession planning has been fairly good.
Sarkic lined up to succeed Rudy
Toti to succeed Saiss
RAN developed
Mosquera is in the pipeline.

Silva lined up to replace Jimenez eventually (jury still out on if that will be a success but clearly the planning is there).

Even tried to plan for Vitinha to come into the midfield, didn’t work out but there was certainly succession planning there.
This post honestly made the situation seem even worse than I thought.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Is there any person on the planet that can honestly say they haven't made a mistake? It's part of life. You just have to learn from them and move on.
I think some people on here are still blaming Stan Cullis for not succession planning...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the lesson that Jeff should take from the Silva transfer is not to take any chances on new players and certainly don’t spend too much.
And don’t aim too high. Let other clubs find any diamonds in the rough.

This window Wolves should maybe just buy lesser quality players but for a lower price.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned its been downhill since we sold Jota. We did NOT have to sell. Replacing with Silva for an extraordinary £35m plus, a disaster. Only a £6m difference! Also over- paying for Semedo who has blown hot and cold. Selling Neves this summer will be another mortal blow and if anyone thinks he will be replaced with similar quality they are deluding themselves.Get it wrong this summer and we are in danger of falling down to 13th/14th or worse.

With hindsight not making those possible quality signings in January cost us big time. Not signing a striker to complement a struggling Jimenez a huge mistake. Silva was never going to be ready even if he is gradually improving.

Last edited:

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
The mistakes that see us nose diving towards the Championship started a long time before the mistake to appoint Bruno Lage.

Back
Top Bottom