Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Missing Football Already.... and 2022/23 Season End Verdict

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else missing the footy already?
Left a huge hole now as I'm missing the relegation battle now it is resolved.

As for the season, we had a few high points such as the Liverpool game but overall, extremely disappointing.

Squad Assessment:
Sa ... Very average season. Playing with a couple of injuries and when you have an unstable defence in front of you, you simply aren't going to be sure of things as you might be.
Bentley ... did OK over two games. Good first game, mediocre second. To be expected.
Semedo - JL thinks he's an important player next season but I have my doubts. His first job is to defend and he's shown he isn't very good at it. Attacking wise, he gets into some good positions but rarely does anything positive.
Ait-Nouri - Started the season pretty well, then when JL came in, he seemed to get a new lease of life.... and then, something happened and he was out of favour.
Collins - Poor season overall. Positionally a nightmare. Not commanding, too many mistakes and very unreliable.
Dawson - Superb acquisition and I have no doubts he made a huge difference in our results. Solid.
Kilman - This season he was asked to step up and become a leader. Something he's not and sadly the last quarter of the season saw him out of the form we had come to expect.
Jonny - Very disappointing season. One amazing goal and really nothing else.
Toti - Break through season and at times played very well. As usual with young talent, needs to be used carefully in order to develop properly.
Bueno - At times looked very good but not being played over the last few weeks put huge pressure on him to perform when called up. He'll learn. He's a good player but the roasting he got at Arsenal will play on his mind for a while.
Lemina - Gave us some life in midfield but in truth, he huffs and puffs but his overall quality is a little lacking. Would be a terrific sub to use if we had better first choice midfielders.
B. Traore - Talented and showed some promise. Has a lot to learn about the Prem. though.
Neves - Sorry to say, but just not the season we needed from him. Sure he was our best player most of the time but we needed more from him in terms of attacking play and it wasn't there.
Podence - Scored a few goals but otherwise his influence on games was poor. We all know what he is about now and so do our opponents. Needs to find some new tricks and really think about what sort of player he wants to be.
Sarabia - Early promise faded into insignificance.
Nunes - We all know there is a player in there but he needs far too much time on the ball to be effective and you just don't get it at this level.
Moutinho - A strange end to the season but we badly missed his influence in the games v Everton and Arsenal. Has been a fantastic player for us and you know there is something going on when he doesn't want to play.
Gomes - Some good games, some poor ones. Usual from one learning how to play at Prem. level.
Hodge - In favor for a short while but usually outclassed and then not used.
Neto - Injuries played a huge part in his season and he only played a bit part at times.
Raul - Sadly a shadow of the player he once was. Out of respect I'll say no more.
Hwang - A times he was decent. At other times, woeful.
Cunha - Shows promise but we've yet to work out how to use him.
Costa - Started being well out of touch and form, finished better and his influence helped us survive. Hope others can learn from him.
A. Traore - A total enigma. Could be one of the best players in the world but just doesn't have a footballing brain. Several coaches have tried, none have got through to him. But such an entertainer no matter where he has the ball. If he leaves, he's the one player I'll miss the most.

Overall, this group of players should be disappointed with their season. They've had some tough decisions go against them but the reaction wasn't good enough. We have many skillful players but they need the right mentality to go with it. When it really mattered they got us wins. Other times, they simply let themselves down.

Onto next season.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not missing watching Wolves at all and really worry about the turbulence around the club and what next season may bring. The best part about this season is Leeds' relegation which says a lot about how we've been playing and my expectations from this squad.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Earlier this week I read somewhere an assessment/ “league table” of Premier League wage bills and we were 15th.
There is usually reckoned to be a correlation between the place in the wages “league table” and the real league table, give or take a place or two. This has been a woeful season on many levels (results, Performances, disciplinary, PR) but maybe, just maybe, we have finished roughly where we are supposed to?!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Honestly no idea how we finished 13th, it's incredible to think there were 7 teams worse than us this season.

Let's try and be a bit positive and talk about who has come out of the season with credit?

Neves - class above, we'd have sunk without trace without him (which is obviously a worry!) Absolutely love the bones of him. Thanks for everything.

Dawson - we saw what a defensive shambles we are without him, although he's not the dominant CH I'd love, he's a fully committed steady, experienced head (although he did start at Brighton...)

Lemina - really like him, he's taken that CDM role and freed up Neves and next season probably Gomes, key player next season I suspect

João Gomes - looks a real prospect, but doubt he'll have the consistency to give us 38 games, him and Boubacar maybe?

Toti - looks less raw and a really solid player, for me he's not a PL starter yet, but I wanted to include him for his great attitude and commitment.

That's my lot really, steady seasons for Kilman, Semedo, Nunes, got some hopes for Cunha, but even they didn't live up to the hype.

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, glad it's done, and believe the 10 weeks off isn't long enough.

2/10 season at best, painfully dull, not really much fun, mostly just a slog and a chore.

Players not really bothered apart from Neves who is going to be such a huge miss, sad to see him go, don't care much for those that will remain.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Season end verdict in a nutshell… thank **** that **** is over and thank **** we stayed up.

Looking forward to not having to worry about Wolves for a few months. Awful season and I hated a vast majority of it.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It became a chore, especially away from home. Under lage, I mean how pathetic were we? Under davis we tried hard and looked worse. Under lopetegui we looked quite good on the rare occasions we didn't try to bore everyone to death. The rest of the time we relied in og and defensive errors. Credit to him tho, he got results and saved us faster than expected.

I still want nuno back. The happy version. There, I said it.

Sutton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad to see the back of this season. We have never been prolific scorers but we had a mean defence but we got rid of Boly ,Saiss, Doherty and Coady. And now we leak goals like a sieve. I’ve lost track of the times we concede in the first ten minutes and the we are chasing the game with no decent strikers.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since the Salvilla match its been a continuous downhill trajectory that I really think may lead to relegation next year.

For a moment I thought getting Lopetegui may have been a sign of a big change , if he leaves I am very worried we will be the next Southampton, Leeds or Leicester.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad it's over, glad there's no summer tournament this year. Maybe a total break is what everyone needs. **** football.

Come mid July, I'll be counting down the days, tuning in to friendlies in Korea and chomping at the bit for next season, but for now... **** football.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
No I am definitely not missing football after that *** show of a season and I’m not going to be following the inevitable drama that’s going to ensure at this club over summer either.

Like @Bill S Preston Esq. says it might be worth taking some time off.

See you in August (maybe).

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad the season is over. I am in no hurry to do that again but i fear we might

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The tone was set in the first 5 or 6 games ( which we all thought was a good set of fixtures) where we couldn’t get a win or put in a good performance and it just continued on from there…..
Fortunate the World Cup came along and we could reset with Julen, I thought we would build on the momentum and finish the season strongly but in reality if things don’t change over the summer I think it will just be more of the same next season.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve been like watching paint dry for a few years now. God awful tedium.

Without an absolute monster of a summer we’re down next year. Fosun sell up before August IMO.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not missing it. In fact beginning to regret that I have already renewed. I just don't think FOSUN are interested any more. Just doing enough to service their investment. I foresee another season of them treading water and hoping that someone comes in to take the club off their hands. Will JL stay? I have serious doubts. I think he has seen through the amateurs who run the place.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Sell the lot bar Lemina, Gomes, Dawson, Bueno and Cuhna.
Shambles of a season and I personally think JL won't be in the dugout for the next one.
Tough times coming.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad to see the back of this season and take a break from watching us play tbh. Some of our perfomances have been truly shocking and many of our actual wins weren’t exactly what you’d call electric either? Several games this season we’ve not even managed shots on target ffs!

I’d been feeling quite optimistic about next season and pushing on, but the indications are this summer could well be another circus. Great! Really wouldn’t be shocked to see Lopetegui gone, and this squad needs some serious work. Too many not good enough and/or not giving a ****. Right now I am quite worried for us tbh.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It could have been a lot worse. Considering the season up to the World Cup break I expected a relegation on our CV, but starting with that last gasp winner at Goodison we were able to rest easy for the past couple of weeks.
Massive credit for that, but some concerning stuff both on and off the pitch in the past month. Two drubbings out of our last 3 away games and lots of uncertainty behind the scenes.
Normally you could relax for a couple of months, but I have a feeling that there is a lot more stress to come over the summer before we take the field again.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sa- Too erratic. Don’t feel confident with him in goal, whereas I did last year.
Bentley- For £30k can’t ask much more. He’s not a PL first choice though. Happy to keep him as back up.

Semedo- Same as Sa, does some good stuff but also some terrible stuff. Offers nothing in attack.
Jonny- Loved the guy, for two years he was our best left back and our best right back. But injuries and our poor medical team have finished him as a top level player, in my opinion.

Collins- Shows potential but isn’t ready yet. In hindsight we’d have been better off spending the £20m on a ready made centre half. Wouldn’t discard him yet but he’s been a disappointment.
Kilman- Really torn on Max. At times he makes defending look easy, then you get games like yesterday where he’s one of the oppositions best attackers! If someone was offering more than £30m I’d probably take it.
Dawson- Great signing. Experienced professional and the kind of defender you need in a scrap.
Toti- Not the best footballer but you can’t fault his passion and effort. Looks like he gives a ****.

Bueno- Even as a regular watcher of the U23s/U21s I’m surprised how quickly and effortlessly he took to senior football. Tough afternoon yesterday but Saka is an unreal player.
Ait-Nouri- Yesterdays performance summed him up, some lovely touches and great runs but does so many basic things wrong, stands on the ball, miscontrols. Like Kilman if we’re getting a decent bid I’m probably taking it.

Neves- A modern day Wolves great, we’re holding him back. Run free Ruben, and thanks for everything.
Nunes- Admire his honesty saying he’s had a poor season but he’s gotta back it up next year on the pitch.
Lemina- Another player like Dawson I really like, gets stuck in and is a decent footballer too. A good way to spend £9m.
Gomes- Watch this space, think he’ll be a star. Has everything you need to be a very good PL midfielder.
Moutinho- Thanks for everything Joao. Wonderful to watch on his day but now is the time to say goodbye.
Bouba- I like him. Good energy and can actually run with the ball at his feet. With injuries probably too early to value him but could improve next year.

Podence- Not having him really. Came up with some important goals let’s not forget, but can be frustrating and petulant.
Neto- Another one I don’t think our medical team have done any favours. Had two serious injuries in two years, anyone buying him is doing it based on previous form.
Hwang- Pre World Cup awful. Post World Cup better. Never going to be a great player but pops up with useful goals, and presses well. Unless we got a great offer I’d have him stick around.
Adama- Unplayable on his day, but his day is only about once every three months. A shame to lose him for nothing but there we go.
Sarabia- Strange signing. Great on paper and showed little flashes but not done enough. Might be one who moves on.

Cunha- I like what I’ve seen but it does look like we’ve overpaid massively. Won’t solve our lack of goals but could be part of the solution with a good striker for him to support:
Raul- Really sad watching him yesterday. He was genuinely a world class striker until the accident. I hope whatever he does next in his career and life it can make him happy he deserves it.
Costa- As a panic, desperate signing he hasn’t been terrible. Just not really good enough if we want to do any better. Thanks for some lovely ****housing.
Sasa- Not a clue. Looked tall and wore a lovely leather jacket last week.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering where we were at Christmas this season could have been so awful. It still felt pretty bad specifically when we lacked any competitiveness away against Brighton, Arsenal and Leicester. So many performances that were capitulations of dross.

Rather than missing football, on the back of this season I think I am thankful for a thirteenth place finish and a chance to recharge, reset and get ready for a fresh start in August.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im going to miss no major tournament over the summer. Vitality Blast cricket on Sky it is then!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa- Too erratic. Don’t feel confident with him in goal, whereas I did last year.
Bentley- For £30k can’t ask much more. He’s not a PL first choice though. Happy to keep him as back up.

Semedo- Same as Sa, does some good stuff but also some terrible stuff. Offers nothing in attack.
Jonny- Loved the guy, for two years he was our best left back and our best right back. But injuries and our poor medical team have finished him as a top level player, in my opinion.

Collins- Shows potential but isn’t ready yet. In hindsight we’d have been better off spending the £20m on a ready made centre half. Wouldn’t discard him yet but he’s been a disappointment.
Kilman- Really torn on Max. At times he makes defending look easy, then you get games like yesterday where he’s one of the oppositions best attackers! If someone was offering more than £30m I’d probably take it.
Dawson- Great signing. Experienced professional and the kind of defender you need in a scrap.
Toti- Not the best footballer but you can’t fault his passion and effort. Looks like he gives a ****.

Bueno- Even as a regular watcher of the U23s/U21s I’m surprised how quickly and effortlessly he took to senior football. Tough afternoon yesterday but Saka is an unreal player.
Ait-Nouri- Yesterdays performance summed him up, some lovely touches and great runs but does so many basic things wrong, stands on the ball, miscontrols. Like Kilman if we’re getting a decent bid I’m probably taking it.

Neves- A modern day Wolves great, we’re holding him back. Run free Ruben, and thanks for everything.
Nunes- Admire his honesty saying he’s had a poor season but he’s gotta back it up next year on the pitch.
Lemina- Another player like Dawson I really like, gets stuck in and is a decent footballer too. A good way to spend £9m.
Gomes- Watch this space, think he’ll be a star. Has everything you need to be a very good PL midfielder.
Moutinho- Thanks for everything Joao. Wonderful to watch on his day but now is the time to say goodbye.
Bouba- I like him. Good energy and can actually run with the ball at his feet. With injuries probably too early to value him but could improve next year.

Podence- Not having him really. Came up with some important goals let’s not forget, but can be frustrating and petulant.
Neto- Another one I don’t think our medical team have done any favours. Had two serious injuries in two years, anyone buying him is doing it based on previous form.
Hwang- Pre World Cup awful. Post World Cup better. Never going to be a great player but pops up with useful goals, and presses well. Unless we got a great offer I’d have him stick around.
Adama- Unplayable on his day, but his day is only about once every three months. A shame to lose him for nothing but there we go.
Sarabia- Strange signing. Great on paper and showed little flashes but not done enough. Might be one who moves on.

Cunha- I like what I’ve seen but it does look like we’ve overpaid massively. Won’t solve our lack of goals but could be part of the solution with a good striker for him to support:
Raul- Really sad watching him yesterday. He was genuinely a world class striker until the accident. I hope whatever he does next in his career and life it can make him happy he deserves it.
Costa- As a panic, desperate signing he hasn’t been terrible. Just not really good enough if we want to do any better. Thanks for some lovely ****housing.
Don't agree absolutely everything but overall sounds about right. The one positive is how many who can do better.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We'd have all bitten Yr hand off for 13th when JL came, he needs to be backed ( if allowed) or he may go, but who's gna buy our hasbeens
A decent amount of money has been forthcoming, yet there isn't any correlation between that and the quality of personnel acquired.

In terms of VFM our overall performance has been disastrous. We seem to have degenerated into a team of hasbeens and neverwillbe's!

Who would put their hand up to claim responsibility I cannot even guess, but when I hear talk of more players being needed, with no doubt a list of impressive names from far away being considered, my heart sinks! We are buying names not proven PL standard players.

Dawson gives a clue as to one way of achieving VFM and doubtless there are others, so let's hope that if a few quid can be found we see more genuine bargains arriving. Not fancy names with a 5minute YouTube 'career' of 'greatness' to support a £m's transfer fee.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with most of that, so I would sell:
Sa
Semedo
Jonny
RAN
Neves (sadly)
Podence
Neto
Raul
(And add Coady to that list, and I was a fan).
Assuming that we can get buyers for some of them!
We know that Moutinho, Costa and Adama are out of contract

I would loan out Collins, Toti and Hodge. And bring back Silva, Hoever, Giles, Cundle, Sanderson. And try to add a decent GK, CB and RB, Scott and Gyokeres.

Hopefully JL can get them playing as a team in a consolidation season, and we get the “profit” that Fosun seem to need before going again. As many of our signings have show, it’s not about individuals, it’s about playing as a team, and we have not really been doing that since Nuno.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank **** its over I say, and time to let go and settle down for a summer of "Ashes" cricket.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I’m brutally honest the (long) list of the current squad players that I’d cry few tears about leaving would include Sa, Semedo, Collins, Kilman (decent fee, bit overrated IMV), Ait Nouri (not fancied), Jonny, Moutinho, Traore, Nunes, Costa, Podence, Neto, Hwang, Sarabia and Jimenez. Add that we can’t stand in Neves’ way any longer and will probably fancy letting a few homegrowns go to help with FFP. Not all will move on obvs, but the sheer number I don’t really care about seems pretty alarming.

5 - Lescott

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I’m brutally honest the (long) list of the current squad players that I’d cry few tears about leaving would include Sa, Semedo, Collins, Kilman (decent fee, bit overrated IMV), Ait Nouri (not fancied), Jonny, Moutinho, Traore, Nunes, Costa, Podence, Neto, Hwang, Sarabia and Jimenez. Add that we can’t stand in Neves’ way any longer and will probably fancy letting a few homegrowns go to help with FFP. Not all will move on obvs, but the sheer number I don’t really care about seems pretty alarming.

Spot on, can add Cunha to the list for me aswell. Problem being we wouldn’t get a bid over £10/15m

Probably the wrong time to fall out with Mendes beings we could do with with some overinflated fees to bail us out like we have for his other clubs

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Too many of our players are much of a muchness.We lack pace ,physicality, physical presence , movement and most certainly goal scoring prowess.
Despite our recent recruitment we haven’t pushed on and overall we have declined .In the main ourfootball has been awful to watch knowing if we fall behind we are unlikely to recover the situation.
Stand still in football and you go backwards .To expect this group to improve next season ain’t going to happen so what the heck are they going to do to improve things ?
Answers on a postcard because I have been bored - football should be about enjoyment and not endurement,
Over to the club and it’s hierarchy to change things.Get it right and hurry up,

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll remember the Liverpool 3-0 but other than that it's been a joke of a season. A mixture of dire and dull.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadly, too many, nearly all, of our signings aren't fulfilling the potential that was the reason for us signing them in the first place. RAN, Nunes, Guedes, A.Traore, Kilman, Collins, Semedo, Sarabia, Hwang, Costa.... And probably a few I've forgotten. Conversely, Fabio and Hoever have done much better since getting away.

And if they do show some positive signs, it seems they get serious injuries that drag on and on forever - Neto, Chiquinho, Sasa, B.Traore.

It's not a good look for a club that's supposed to have a strategy of developing players to increase their value. It's not even "win some lose some", there's a pattern beyond raw luck of players careers stalling with us - and it's been here since the day Nuno left. Remember how much Adama improved under Nuno? Doc? Coady? Saiss? It can be done. The current setup is unable to to do it. I don't know who why or what, just stating it for what it is.

This season just made our problems even more blatant. The question is whether JL has the nous to sort it out?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broadly, too many, nearly all, of our signings aren't fulfilling the potential that was the reason for us signing them in the first place. RAN, Nunes, Guedes, A.Traore, Kilman, Collins, Semedo, Sarabia, Hwang, Costa.... And probably a few I've forgotten. Conversely, Fabio and Hoever have done much better since getting away.

And if they do show some positive signs, it seems they get serious injuries that drag on and on forever - Neto, Chiquinho, Sasa, B.Traore.

It's not a good look for a club that's supposed to have a strategy of developing players to increase their value. It's not even "win some lose some", there's a pattern beyond raw luck of players careers stalling with us - and it's been here since the day Nuno left. Remember how much Adama improved under Nuno? Doc? Coady? Saiss? It can be done. The current setup is unable to to do it. I don't know who why or what, just stating it for what it is.

This season just made our problems even more blatant. The question is whether JL has the nous to sort it out?

Agree with a lot of this.

On your point about why the current setup is unable to change things. I'm wondering if it's a similar situation to Leeds. Whereby Nuno and Bielsa's style is so ingrained within a club that it's going to take a while to move on from. And of course without the actual referenced individuals themselves, all the positive aspects of the approach/regime are harder to materialize.

Back
Top Bottom