Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mirror Article

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted. If so, please remove.

Paints a rather dismal picture of Wolves future prospects.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it’s certainly not complimentary, is it? Or even try to be objective.
A bit ott in parts and and a tad unfair in others.

Basically, he kinda paints Fosun as indifferent or disinterested, which I think is inaccurate.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t they write up a scare story the past two years?? We will have to sell all our star players blah blah blah

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps it's precisely the sort of national spotlight Shi needs shining on him to twist his arm to back Bruno.
Was kinda my first thought, although very fleeting.
But we don’t want a CEO who’s influenced by media……that’s for not good……we want our leadership to be smart and cool.

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Understandable viewpoint from outsiders looking in.....surely no other way of looking at it?

If you're a fan of another club, or a journo, 3 years ago you'd have looked at us and thought, 'these guys are going to break into the top 6 and their owners mean business.' If they were to look at us now they would think we're just there to make up the numbers.

That's what a lot of wolves fans think too, let's be honest.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has already been posted. If so, please remove.

Paints a rather dismal picture of Wolves future prospects.

Actually don’t mind that article

Very simplistic and very lazy ‘journalism’ but right or wrong, might make club think about how the ‘brand’ is being perceived

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a pure opinion piece with no journalism or news. Interestingly, while painting this doom laden picture of last season and what it means for the future, the article totally ignores the season before when we finished lower and looked bereft as a team and club.

Wake up call for Jeff? Perhaps, but I doubt he will set the clubs strategy based on a single article in the Mirror.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think there is any doubt they will spend money, I think they will spend more or less what they get in.

But Jeff will always look for value, that's why he hardly ever buys in January.

I think you will see players in the £10m-£20m signed, maybe some swaps/part-ex and the successful loan to buy.

We will see some youngsters brought with high resale just like Jota, Neves, and Neto.

The only real question is how well they will work, and will we score enough goals again.

I am certainly not convinced we are capable of pulling together a top 4 or top 6 place squad from the ashes of Neves sale, but I do think we can stay in the league - if we can score enough goals.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
‘Everything is up in the air’
That phrase is the most pertinent.
We will know more about Fosuns intentions come September . I will judge them then and I will probably judge Bruno around December .

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what has been said by the club coupled with Villa improving their squad and Newcastle likely to, a top half finish looks highly unlikely. If you start the season thinking a top half finish will be a challenge you don’t need to slip much to end up in a relegation battle.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

A completely opinion based article but I'm glad it will possibly shine a bit of a light on FOSUN and Shi to how they are being perceived by some outsiders and some in the media. It can't be a good look for the brand etc

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had got previous windows right we’d have players in the squad who can step into the team in place of anyone leaving or no longer good enough. Unfortunately we don’t so it is now a case of revolution not evolution and doing that without an injection of cash will be extremely difficult.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh dear! Red rag to some bulls.

I actually think we need a relegation battle to spur Fosun into action. And one will inevitably come at some point. If you're not looking to break into the top 6, you're just hoping to avoid a bad run of form. In the past, Stoke, Villa, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle etc. are all clubs who've decided the money required for the top 6 isn't for them and resigned themselves to always finishing mid table. The problem with that is one bad run means the 'guaranteed mid table position' can very quickly turn into a dogfight. I fear Fosun have to learn the hard way

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I actually think we need a relegation battle to spur Fosun into action. And one will inevitably come at some point. If you're not looking to break into the top 6, you're just hoping to avoid a bad run of form. In the past, Stoke, Villa, Sunderland, Everton, Newcastle etc. are all clubs who've decided the money required for the top 6 isn't for them and resigned themselves to always finishing mid table. The problem with that is one bad run means the 'guaranteed mid table position' can very quickly turn into a dogfight. I fear Fosun have to learn the hard way
I'm very interested to see how this window develops. If it unfolds like last summer's window did, this will be an inspired article. If it doesn't, it will be a rag

D

Deleted member sbk12944

I also agree that a real flirt with relegation would be the only way FOSUN actually start to think oh **** we better protect our investment with some investment so it doesn't become worth a 10th of what it's worth whilst in the premier League.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had got previous windows right we’d have players in the squad who can step into the team in place of anyone leaving or no longer good enough. Unfortunately we don’t so it is now a case of revolution not evolution and doing that without an injection of cash will be extremely difficult.
#trustus

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with a lot of that. It is an opinion piece but nobody could say it was especially unfair

While it’s content, as far as it goes, is accurate, I think it’s written with intent rather than objectivity. It dwells on the end of last season, yet ignores the strong position the same coach and team go us to prior to that run. It also ignores the season before, where we finished even lower and looked utterly lacking spirit and ideas.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d take these sorts of articles with a pinch of salt.

Similar articles were written about Palace last year and they were amongst the favourites for relegation.

They got it right in the transfer market and had a good season.

The club will know what needs to be done and there will be a plan. Hopefully that plan is executed and turns out to be the right plan!

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All valid points and problems/potential problems, but the transfer window is also an opportunity to solve many of them and take us forward.
If there are big outgoings without the right players also coming in, if Raul's poor form continues, if other players don't make the step up, stay injury fee then we could be in trouble, on the other hand if players like Neves stay, or if we can secure decent replacements as well as changing refreshing the squad giving Bruno some more of the options he wants , if some players get back to form and don't have lots of injuries then we could have a good season.
At the moment it's too early in the transfer window to know how things will pan out
I don't believe Fosun have lost interest, the question is will transfer plans pan out as club want them to, can they successfully execute the plan and end up with a squad Bruno is happy with for next season

Last edited:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well the Daily Mirror printed an article on Saturday by Tom Hopkinson saying - 'Wolves are closing in on Sporting Lisbon defender Goncalo Inacio'. Which FabRom quickly dismissed as completely untrue. So I guess its either absolute *******s or absolute *******s.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also agree that a real flirt with relegation would be the only way FOSUN actually start to think oh **** we better protect our investment with some investment so it doesn't become worth a 10th of what it's worth whilst in the premier League.
A flirt can lead to something more permanent very easily…..

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst the article would be accepted more if written by a Sammuels or Phillips its still in a national newspaper and that must concern Fosun,let alone the fans

I cant see any real inaccuracies in it tbf
It may be a bit OTT and paint perhaps a more downbeat picture but in essence its factual

We will be one of the favourites to go down after our melt down end of season
We are showing no signs of heavy investment,and in fact almost saying the opposite
We are selling our best player
All these are facts,so far

The one thing that is in our favour is we should have enough capital to rebuild,if only partly this season,and compete to a mid table position

We all know that if/when Neves goes we need 3/4 maybe 5 quality players,a CB,DCM,ACM and a goal scoring forward as a minimum
We may get all those, we equally may not,and thats the dilemma we are currently in
We as fans know what we need,but the vibe from the club suggests we wont get it,lets hope we are wrong

DJLWolf

Reaction score

Perfectly summed up.

Fosun think they can consistently tread water with a zero net spend.I can understand them thinking that due to their ties with Mendes and being able to tap up these young players who they can develop and sell.

On paper it makes sense, but all it would take is a combination of the pool drying up, or a few signings not working, both which we are beginning to experience, before you run into problems.

Over the long term, you absolutely have to spend just to stand still in the premier league.Those that don't almost always end up getting relegated at some point.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see some youngsters brought with high resale just like Jota, Neves, and Neto.

Not having a dig directly at you here CW. But do the fans who think this genuinely believe it’s that easy to just unearth these gems?

Surely we’d just do that with all our signings? So would all clubs? Sign youngsters who can hit the ground running then sell on for 3 x what we paid for them.

It’s a high risk strategy that has potentially high rewards. I agree we’ll almost certainly sign a few Portuguese teens in the summer, but I think we’ll see you have to kiss a hell of a lot of Portuguese frogs to unearth a prince like Neves.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has all the tabloid bombast you'd expect from the Mirror ("chilling", really?), but it's otherwise not particularly wrong. This line especially rings true: "All the warning signs are there - and sometimes you feel it’s only the fans who can see it."

An external perspective is usually what's needed to identify the cracks, at least on the pitch. The local fans / the fans on social media, tho ones who Jeff admitted are not always on the same page as the management - is exactly that perspective. We have more than enough experience of slow motion car crashes at Wolves to recognise the looming issues at the club that are going unchecked. We have identified crisis areas of the pitch that have invariably become crises in time. Jeff I feel confuses that wariness for baseless negativity.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More scarily from a Wolves fan's perspective, they seem certain to be overtaken by the likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle and end up standing still on a rapidly accelerating escalator.

Why would you do anything other than stand still, if you're on a rapidly accelerating escalator?

Back
Top Bottom