Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mike Riley stepping down!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell. Never know, might get somewhere now.
Managed to promote a cretin and oversee a mass retirement of experienced refs with no real succession plan as his final acts though.
Makes sense to get out before every chance of an impending car-crash, can try and pass it off as someone else’s failings, when most already know it’s his years of mismanagement and croneyism that have brought us to this point.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news let’s hope the next one gets it right.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sky reporting Mike Riley is stepping down!

Good
Sounds like good news but really depends who replaces him.... I hope that it isn't "better the devil you know".... It could, for example, be Dean.....

Incidentally, if ever a thread summed up Wolves' fans ability to think the worst (and l fully recognise that l did exactly the same!)......

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Sounds like good news but really depends who replaces him.... I hope that it isn't "better the devil you know".... It could, for example, be Dean.....

Incidentally, if ever a thread summed up Wolves' fans ability to think the worst (and l fully recognise that l did exactly the same!)......
I expect it to be another job for one of the boys

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know who actually picks the next person? How much say do the FA, Premier league and EFL get a say in it?

We have the best league in the world yet the worst officials.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with Howard Webb. A big step up on Riley and hopefully it will lead to a massive improvement on the bloody awful standards on Riley's watch.

Anyone remember our 2-0 win at Blues away in the cup!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Howard Webb is a good ref. Also known him drop some clangers (Nigel de Jong cutting Xabi Alonso in half at the WC Final)
but think he’s the best at the FA’s disposal.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Overall absolutely thrilled Kevin Friend is retiring and Mike Riley is gone for me those were the worst two features in the refereeing system. Although John Moss and Mike Dean are also pretty awful. Next Mariner please as he does not know how to press the action replay button in the VAR Portocabin.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Good news. Amazing Riley has lasted this long, what with the disaster of VAR and the awful standard of refs.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Riley and four of his referees retiring, it could be the chance to start afresh. Webb was a top referee so who knows, things may improve.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Riley and four of his referees retiring, it could be the chance to start afresh. Webb was a top referee so who knows, things may improve.
It would be bloody hard for them to get worse. My concern is that Riley and the systems he put in place will have influenced the pipeline for new refs.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My instinctive reaction is could be worse. At least, unlike Riley, he actually was a top ref himself.
I'll never understand the plaudits he took for "saving the world cup final".

Nigel De Jong's horror tackle should have been a straight red. If it had happened on the street, a prison sentence would have been given.

I don't rate our referees and haven't done so for some time. Howard Webb as far as I'm concerned is just another example of an overrated incompetent English official.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll never understand the plaudits he took for "saving the world cup final".

Nigel De Jong's horror tackle should have been a straight red. If it had happened on the street, a prison sentence would have been given.

I don't rate our referees and haven't done so for some time. Howard Webb as far as I'm concerned is just another example of an overrated incompetent English official.
I agree about the red card.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
On the premise that somebody actually has to be in charge ,unless they go completely radical and bring in the likes of Collina to overhaul things and raise the standards ,the appointment of Webb is better than just shunting the likes of Dean sidewards .
Dean has been part of the mess surrounding VAR so he would be just perpetuating more of the same ,whereas Webb was who hasn’t been part of the clique may come with fresh ideas .

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the premise that somebody actually has to be in charge ,unless they go completely radical and bring in the likes of Collina to overhaul things and raise the standards ,the appointment of Webb is better than just shunting the likes of Dean sidewards .
Dean has been part of the mess surrounding VAR so he would be just perpetuating more of the same ,whereas Webb was who hasn’t been part of the clique may come with fresh ideas .
We can but hope!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank **** for that. Almost anything would be an improvement over Riley. Webb was the best ref we've had in recent years.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good news. Amazing Riley has lasted this long, what with the disaster of VAR and the awful standard of refs.
Unfortunately Jade, we have one more season to put up with Riley.

He’s retiring at the end of next season!

If he is to leave with a swan song, let it be the 100% improvement of our referees and the currently awful VAR!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Maybe it’s no co-incidence and that PGMOL have listened to the critics and decided to act.

Hopefully Webb will have the balls to deal with the likes of Dean et Al in the VAR hut before their ways become too entrenched.

We can but live in hope.

Back
Top Bottom