Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Medical and performance dept

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Some big changes by the looks of it. What stood out was the comments about Covid and how handling the procedural side of it meant staff couldn't spend as much time dealing with actually keeping players healthy. Might partially explain why we seemed to get so many injuries last season.

It looks like the club have really invested in this, which is good to see. Not the actions of an owner looking to sell.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Read a recent report (can't remember where I read it now), that Wolves were the only Premier League team with all of the squad members fully vaccinated against Covid. Sounds like that came under the responsibility of Matt Perry, who really is revered throughout the club for the work he has done over the years.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
good to see that we've now got a dedicated sports performance psychologist again. Think this is one of the things that can help in improving players composure etc. in front of goal and that if a player does go through a spell of not scoring etc. that they don't lose focus/confidence

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am glad that Wolves have done this, and well done for addressing a failing department. It is no coincidence that players kept breaking down and took forever to return from injuries, just like it’s no coincidence that the recruitment team also failed miserably. It looks like they have got proper people into important roles, Chakreverty is the sort of standard we need in other key roles (England and Team GB doctor). Now to address the recruitment team and to remove the hapless Sellers and Vinny Clarke. Do that and Jeff might save face.

The White Mouse

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am glad that Wolves have done this, and well done for addressing a failing department. It is no coincidence that players kept breaking down and took forever to return from injuries, just like it’s no coincidence that the recruitment team also failed miserably. It looks like they have got proper people into important roles, Chakreverty is the sort of standard we need in other key roles (England and Team GB doctor). Now to address the recruitment team and to remove the hapless Sellers and Vinny Clarke. Do that and Jeff might save face.
Molineux mix, one of the best websites anywhere for finding subject matter experts on almost anything, without said poster having a shred of knowledge about the subject but happy to pass off their opinion as absolute fact.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I don't really see the justification for this. We struggled last season (not much the medical team could have done to stop the Raul injury), but this followed 2 seasons of fantastic protection from soft tissue injuries with AFAIK pretty much the same medical team. They said last season that covid protocols made it very difficult to do some of the same post-match procedures in particular.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice positive article. A bit more like the Fosun and Shi we have come to admire.
Looking to spend money on the best , where we can get real value for £100,000 .
And good PR another positive department performance.
I have been very critical of the Recruitment and PR over the last year. But if I could see them excelling in other places I am happy that they are doing the best where they can use money intelligently

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
...looks like Rob Chakraverty is an interesting character...

I knew the name was familiar, associated with some form of scandal.
Oh well, dodgy supplements for all, Neto will look like Adama when he comes back.
Not like they’ve stripped Farah of any medals or knighthood is it?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like to see investment and ambitions to push all sections of the club forward, so this is great. DoF next, please!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Really impressive read, not just that we are building sustainability but the new questions being asked, an understanding that the club went from being on the crest of a wave to a challenging season in one fell swoop, bringing in people from outside football, being flexible with ideas. Actually shows why Dr Chakraverty is where he is, shows very good leadership.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some big changes by the looks of it. What stood out was the comments about Covid and how handling the procedural side of it meant staff couldn't spend as much time dealing with actually keeping players healthy. Might partially explain why we seemed to get so many injuries last season.

It looks like the club have really invested in this, which is good to see. Not the actions of an owner looking to sell.
Thanks for posting.

That’s really good to see. I was concerned that when Nuno left we also lost his progressive back room staff. Looks like the club have addressed this in a sustainable manner, which is very positive. Also like the approach of bringing in diversity in the team so they can draw upon experience in other elite sports.

As an aside to the changes described. The article is itself interesting in its tone. Quite an open admission of the struggles in the team and club last season, which is refreshing in a club article rather than a journalist piece.

All things considered, one of the most positive things I’ve seen from the club recently. I’m pleased.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh well, dodgy supplements for all, Neto will look like Adama when he comes back.
Except it wasn’t dodgy at all as he was cleared of wrongdoing as the article eventually said.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really see the justification for this. We struggled last season (not much the medical team could have done to stop the Raul injury), but this followed 2 seasons of fantastic protection from soft tissue injuries with AFAIK pretty much the same medical team. They said last season that covid protocols made it very difficult to do some of the same post-match procedures in particular.
Totally agree.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but your comment bears no resemblance to the content of the article. The only issue was recording quantity of L Carnitine - a legal treatment - as the GMC and WADA confirmed.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but your comment bears no resemblance to the content of the article. The only issue was recording quantity of L Carnitine - a legal treatment - as the GMC and WADA confirmed.

I agree, not dodgy as it is a legal supplement.

But it is only legal to a certain level (I think the permitted limit under the Wada code is 50 ml).

So it would seem a very obvious thing to record the quantity given!!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was slightly tongue in cheek, but as Wolfling said below, when something is only allowed in certain quantities, it is somewhat suspicious that said quantity was not recorded.
Similar to the number of ‘asthmatics’ involved in top level cycling.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was slightly tongue in cheek, but as Wolfling said below, when something is only allowed in certain quantities, it is somewhat suspicious that said quantity was not recorded.
Similar to the number of ‘asthmatics’ involved in top level cycling.
Agreed, the impression given in the report was a **** up rather than dodgy but there is a 50ml limit. And a one-off for our new doc rather than a pattern.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but it seems we have a whole new team of medical/performance people. Surely these personnel don't all go when a manager changes, do they? If Bruno went in January this lot would stay in post and see in the new manager I would think.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read through all this but it seems we have a whole new team of medical/performance people. Surely these personnel don't all go when a manager changes, do they? If Bruno went in January this lot would stay in post and see in the new manager I would think.
I think these guys would, I think Nuno had his own guys, so to speak

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I think that was the whole point, Nuno had his team and they answered to him. The club wanted a more independent team with elite staff with new ideas that will have a long term plan regardless of who the coach is. Having said that we had to recruit in the UK post-Brexit, Lage probably didn't have anyone to bring and the early hamstring injuries are just the sort of thing we largely avoided in the two season prior to covid.

Still hopefully we're making a virtue out of necessity.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that was the whole point, Nuno had his team and they answered to him. The club wanted a more independent team with elite staff with new ideas that will have a long term plan regardless of who the coach is. Having said that we had to recruit in the UK post-Brexit, Lage probably didn't have anyone to bring and the early hamstring injuries are just the sort of thing we largely avoided in the two season prior to covid.

Still hopefully we're making a virtue out of necessity.

Probably also the style of play under Nuno helped with that too though in fairness. That said, fairly sure Boly & maybe Jota had a few hamstring injuries with us

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
It seems its not unusual for you to say this sort of thing.
Perhaps you'd be in a better position to comment if you did read things through ahead of doing so.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is actually covered in the third sentence of the news article:
“The last head coach brought in his own staff and their own ways of working, which transformed the club, but they have left and Wolves needed to rethink to take the club forward.

So we're now planning to have a set medical team irrespective of who is the manager.
“Jeff and Scott Sellars wanted the new head coach to bring in their necessary staff, but they also want us to create a new Wolves’ identity that is robust, where the infrastructure, the processes and the ways of working flourish regardless of the head coach and which staff were in place.

If that's too long, then let me know and I can try to summarise it further.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cheaper to supplement the medical team to keep the old guy going like the Duracell bunny, than buy an additional midfielder I guess.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is actually covered in the third sentence of the news article:

So we're now planning to have a set medical team irrespective of who is the manager.

If that's too long, then let me know and I can try to summarise it further.
Re your first para: firstly the danger implicit in one manager bringing in a whole set of backroom staff is something which many on here pointed out. Secondly it was widely reported that many if not all of those backroom staff wanted to stay even if Nuno went but the club pushed them out. As such l'm sorry but any problem for the club was wholly self-inflicted.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re your first para: firstly the danger implicit in one manager bringing in a whole set of backroom staff is something which many on here pointed out. Secondly it was widely reported that many if not all of those backroom staff wanted to stay even if Nuno went but the club pushed them out. As such l'm sorry but any problem for the club was wholly self-inflicted.

What problem did it cause us?

Re the article & decision to go with this structure seems much better.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably also the style of play under Nuno helped with that too though in fairness. That said, fairly sure Boly & maybe Jota had a few hamstring injuries with us
boly tends to warm up next to coady i have watched him loads of times. coady gives it everything and is fit and flexible. boly has much more ball skill but is not anywhere near as fit and his range of movement is much more limited. his timing in tackles is excellent but he is a lazy athlete. i reckon thats why he is injured and coady is not

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Seems like we’ve invested big in the medical side of things and had a compete overall. She sound promising also. Hopefully she can earn us some medals.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I haven’t gone into great detail of reading everything but in addition to Nuno’s staff leaving have any other members of staff left?

Back
Top Bottom