Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Nunes

Reaction score
We don’t score enough goals and it’s a forum to discuss issues. Im not convinced signing Nunes will address that issue. Feel free to tell me why he will…
I actually agree, his signing is brilliant BUT we still need a Striker otherwise we won’t get the full benefit from him.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo Collins Kilman RAN/Jonny
Moutinho Neves Nunes
Neto/Podence/MGW New No9 Guedes

Not bad.....

I'd say we are another fullback and centre forward away from having two very competitive XIs for the first time in a very long time.

Sa/Sarkic

Semedo/Jonny---Collins/Boly---Kilman/Toti---Ait-Nouri/New FB

Neves/Moutinho---Nunes/Dendoncker

Neto/Traore---Gibbs-White/Podence---Guedes/Hwang

Raul/New CF​

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we'll now sign a CF (Ramos)and a player who can play at CB & FB - we were linked with Stefan Posch(?) a while back who can do that.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say we are another fullback and centre forward away from having two very competitive XIs for the first time in a very long time.

Sa/Sarkic

Raul/New CF​
I think the 4-3-3 will give us more balance and work better but we'll see.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Sa/Sarkic

Raul/New CF​
My only worry with the squad is that outside of Collins and Kilman the remaining CBs are a big drop down in quality. We also have the injury history of Jonny and Semedo.

I would like for us to sign someone who could compete with Kilman and Collins for a starting birth, could join them in a 3 and could also come on as a more defensive fullback.

Wolfyyy

Reaction score
Actually, keeping Cundle allows flexibility to 433. Either way looks like Boly is surplus and likely Adama but we will probably just keep. Striker minimum now Wolves and what a window…

View attachment 29567
Put Traore on right back position for the season. He has done that before - I don't see us splurging more on a full back since we still have to sort out CF as priority.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only worry with the squad is that outside of Collins and Kilman the remaining CBs are a big drop down in quality. We also have the injury history of Jonny and Semedo.

I would like for us to sign someone who could compete with Kilman and Collins for a starting birth, could join them in a 3 and could also come on as a more defensive fullback.

I don't know about being a big drop down in quality.

Boly hasn't been the same since he had Covid, but he might be over all that now.

I wouldn't be massively confident with Boly and Toti starting together in a back 4, but Boly next to either Kilman or Collins wouldn't be much different in my opinion. You'd need both Collins and Kilman to be injured to have Toti starting next to Boly.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t score enough goals and it’s a forum to discuss issues. Im not convinced signing Nunes will address that issue. Feel free to tell me why he will…
Ok. Because….his playing style helps negate many of our issues, or severely limits the easiest way to stop us. Think about 2 different games against Palace. The one where we battered them under Roy, and when we’ve been completely stifled under Viera.

The first, they dropped off, and defended narrow.
Which left Coady, Neves, and the WBs in space, and it was a massacre. How NOT to play against Wolves.

Palace last season pressed us hard, particularly aggressively in midfield via Gallagher against our slow midfield. And that’s it, game over.
If you press Donk, he panics.
Press Neves, plus mark up the people in front, and he’s in trouble too.
However, press Nunes, and he might just skip round them and drive forwards (dribbles and progressive carries are his #1 attribute).
Then it’s the defending team panicking, because the first guy is out of the game, somebody is going to have to move to cover, giving more space against a less organised defence for a front 3/4 to do something against.

Also when we win the ball back in our own half. What happens now? We pass it around, and if there’s a quick break to be made via a long ball or couple of neat passes, great, we can do that.
But if that’s not on…what next? Opportunity over, because nobody will run with the ball, one of the midfielders doesn’t have the confidence to pass progressively, then it’s going to go backwards into trouble or boredom.
But what if you pop it off to guy that’s happy to surge 30,40 yards up the field, committing players? It’s like having Traore on the break, but through the middle and with better decision making.

So yeah, that’s how one player (with the right attributes) can completely change how you play.
See also: Collins added to Kilman/Sa to make a high line back 4, when the only viable option with Coady/Patricio was a very deep back 5.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really, if I was born in Russia, that wouldn't make me Russian. And 23 is a little beyond a one for the future. But nice try. Which South American team does he play for again?
Typical massaging of facts to fit lazy predictions. Shush.
Leave him be. I am so happy that we have signed 3 players - 3 quality players - that I love all Wolves fans today. That includes Sellars and Shi. I take it all back. I will be eating Chinese food tonight.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok. Because….his playing style helps negate many of our issues, or severely limits the easiest way to stop us. Think about 2 different games against Palace. The one where we battered them under Roy, and when we’ve been completely stifled under Viera.

Which left Coady, Neves, and the WBs in space, and it was a massacre. How NOT to play against Wolves.

Palace last season pressed us hard, particularly aggressively in midfield via Gallagher against our slow midfield. And that’s it, game over.
However, press Nunes, and he might just skip round them and drive forwards (dribbles and progressive carries are his #1 attribute).
Then it’s the defending team panicking, because the first guy is out of the game, somebody is going to have to move to cover, giving more space against a less organised defence for a front 3/4 to do something against.

Also when we win the ball back in our own half. What happens now? We pass it around, and if there’s a quick break to be made via a long ball or couple of neat passes, great, we can do that.
But if that’s not on…what next? Opportunity over, because nobody will run with the ball, one of the midfielders doesn’t have the confidence to pass progressively, then it’s going to go backwards into trouble or boredom.
But what if you pop it off to guy that’s happy to surge 30,40 yards up the field, committing players? It’s like having Traore on the break, but through the middle and with better decision making.

So yeah, that’s how one player (with the right attributes) can completely change how you play.
See also: Collins added to Kilman/Sa to make a high line back 4, when the only viable option with Coady/Patricio was a very deep back 5.
Thanks for a really excellent reply. I hope you’re correct.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't know about being a big drop down in quality.

Boly hasn't been the same since he had Covid, but he might be over all that now.

I wouldn't be massively confident with Boly and Toti starting together in a back 4, but Boly next to either Kilman or Collins wouldn't be much different in my opinion. You'd need both Collins and Kilman to be injured to have Toti starting next to Boly.
Very true.

If Boly can get back to near his best then he is a very good CB. Mosquera was also very highly rated when we signed him, that’s what Vickery said at the time.

Being greedy I still think we need a 4th first team quality fullback.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great summary. If you look at how Bruno Guimaraes completely changed Newcastle as a proposition, it's very similar.

I'd add into this that I hope we keep Gibbs-White for similar reasons. He's different to what we already have, and plays instinctively and quickly, so gives us different options and angles of attack.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think Nunes will have the same effect Adama has but through the middle. Teams will have to double up on him, leaving more space for his midfield partner(s).

And we all know what Neves can do when he is given space!!!

Actually having both Nunes and Adama on the pitch would be potentially very exciting as teams would have the double up on both of them!

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Look at what happened on Saturday when Kilman and MGW dribbles through midfield, one resulted in a through ball that Guedes didn’t read otherwise he was in the other resulted in MGW being taken out and an attacking free kick for us. Both resulted in a defence backing away and panicking.

Back
Top Bottom