Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Marquinhos

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my understanding too. We paid 500K, though I thought Grasshoppers had paid 1 million rather than the 1.7 quoted in the article. Either way, I don't see how Wolves can possibly lose out on a deal like that.
As someone else posted on another thread, given the connection between the owners, I do wonder about financial collusion between Grasshoppers and Wolves. How do Grasshoppers stand on FFP, I wonder. It's pure speculation on my part but in a certain sense, could the deal not be considered as a kind of transfer of FFP assets? Please feel free to shoot me down.
Well, they’re not owned by the same person or company, so…doubt it.
City managed to allegedly ‘prove’ that various companies throwing huge sponsorship deals at them weren’t directly linked to them, with far more shared ground than Mr and Mrs Guangchang.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Japan and south korea are in the wotld cup? We need sang bin, kawabe and hwang to make thrir respective squads and make an impression. We need to make a quick buck.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the vibe of his agent it was the plan to send him to grasshoppers that sparked the search for another venture….

Why are we propping up grasshoppers for the owners wife?

He should have been brought in as first team and maybe addressed a loan in Jan if he wasn’t prem ready.

Our owners need to get their priorities in check! Grasshoppers is never going to return a fraction of the investment wolves will, so stop buying players for them under the guise of a loan

That's literally not the point of Grasshoppers, the point is to use it as a place to develop players ala Toti

It’s also being used to showcase players that aren’t good enough for us (Bonatini, Ronan, Campana).

I think that's a bit of a smoke screen. Arsenal are also planning on loaning him out this season

This and to get round the new post-Brexit visa rules. Get young players to earn points at Grasshoppers.

So how do you explain Kawabe? We didn’t need to buy him, that was a complete waste of funds.

Also the striker we bought and sent there?

They will never play for the first team……

To be fair, you’re all right, it’s a multi faceted arrangement that suits both parties.

*We can send them players who we might want to put in the shop window (Bonatini)
* we can send them players to develop (either for future potential first team opportunities or to try and sell for profit) (Bolla, Sang-Bin, Ronan)
* we could send them players to get game time after injury (Jordao)
* we may use them to get points for players before we sign them (Kawabe in this instance)

In return Grasshoppers get to move up the league which in turn helps us (our players will play at a higher level).

Kawabe was likely a low cost convenient transaction which again suits both parties. He’s one of their main players (so they can grow), he’s Japanese (commercial benefits for both) and cash (short term grasshoppers - his sale allowed them to buy a defender in January, longer term us if he continues to impress)

The development and thus increase in value of Toti and Ronan alone would cover any cost we paid out for Kawabe

Marquinhos would have been the same, a deal to suit both parties. And as @theweave has already pointed out… Arsenal are planning similar so I think it’s a smokescreen

I really don’t get the negatives towards Grasshoppers…. There is way more positive than negative. Any thoughts we’re propping up grasshoppers is just daft, the attention they get from us is minimal and nothing we’ve done for them has prevented us from signing our own targets

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

My apologies, the article I read at the time had it the other way around…… so I am very wrong on the fee.

BUT

I still stand by the fact giving them 500k for a player they already own and sending him there on a two year loan is dodgy as anything as it is clear he will never play for us.
Because you can only loan out a certain amount of players over 21. He also had a good year and we might be able to ship on for a profit.

Back
Top Bottom