Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Marega

W

WasStefan

Being linked in Portugal as Wolves 'top priority'

Yes please!

D

Deleted member 5962

Might be wrong, but if this is who I think it is (the Porto striker) he is another that is perpetually linked, and another that had a fallout with nuno.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems like a pre requisite, former player, that falls out with Nuno, must one day play for wolves.

D

Deleted member LP 3925

Scores about one in three, linked to Liverpool too, same age as Aaron Mooy, rumours of £34 million as far as I can see. I've never seen him play, so can someone tell me why this is more exciting than it seems?

Not being arsey, I would just like to know!

wanderer89

Reaction score
Scores about one in three, linked to Liverpool too, same age as Aaron Mooy, rumours of £34 million as far as I can see. I've never seen him play, so can someone tell me why this is more exciting than it seems?

How old's Aaron Mooy though?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any quotes that they fell out? Nuno sent him out on loan while he was at Porto but that doesn't mean they fell out as such. May not even mean that he doesn't rate him as he had people on the bench there that he clearly does

Late bloomer, on form on the back of his best season (nearly 30 goals) and the link keeps coming back but not anything especially solid. My first reaction seeing this come back now was perhaps an alternative to Rondon but I think they are different types of strikers where Marega is more of a second striker like Jota than a No.9 like Raul

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance this will happen. Just another lazy link to a player that Nuno fellout with and sent out on loan.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Big, strong and quick. Can't work out if he's got good movement or just the quality of the Porto team creates chances for him. Not got the best touch or hold up play either, can take a number of chances to score too. Incredibly wasteful against liverpool in the CL.

As one of our Portuguese fellas have said, the reason why he went out on loan was because Nuno doesn't want athletic stirkers. He wants tactically smart strikers and him and the other African striker from Porto we keep gettinf linked with aren't that and why Nuno sent them both out on loan, and used Andre Silva and Jota instead.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being linked in Portugal as Wolves 'top priority'

Yes please!

Jeez. If it was worthwhile posting we would’ve had a thread about 10 hours before when it first broke online. Read the article. It’s not from Portugal. It’s according to the MIRROR.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big, strong and quick. Can't work out if he's got good movement or just the quality of the Porto team creates chances for him. Not got the best touch or hold up play either, can take a number of chances to score too. Incredibly wasteful against liverpool in the CL.

As one of our Portuguese fellas have said, the reason why he went out on loan was because Nuno doesn't want athletic stirkers. He wants tactically smart strikers and him and the other African striker from Porto we keep gettinf linked with aren't that and why Nuno sent them both out on loan, and used Andre Silva and Jota instead.

Like Traore then.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re
Jeez. If it was worthwhile posting we would’ve had a thread about 10 hours before when it first broke online. Read the article. It’s not from Portugal. It’s according to the MIRROR.
Really? Oh well - I’ll never get the last 2 minutes back.

M

Mr Wolf

Not for me this one, think we’re really going to struggle this summer to bring in the quality needed.

modenawolf

Reaction score

Apparently it is (bottom right):

IMG_20190623_104354.jpg

M

merseawolf

Not for me this one, think we’re really going to struggle this summer to bring in the quality needed.
Not so sure about that but I get your concerns. Surely it’s a great chance for us to give quality players the chance to actually play loads of games rather than be bit part players at the bigger clubs. I am sure The Club will do the business required for us to improve on last seasons points total

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure about that but I get your concerns. Surely it’s a great chance for us to give quality players the chance to actually play loads of games rather than be bit part players at the bigger clubs. I am sure The Club will do the business required for us to improve on last seasons points total

Maybe, maybe not... Last year we failed to convince another striker to come and ended up panicking and buying Bonatini.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Putting all the ins and outs of how good he actually is to one side, £35M does seem like an awful lot of cheese for someone that's 28 years old... Yes we've just done that with Raul but after a loan that established him as our No.1 and a fan favourite, to do it right out of the block for this guy doesn't seem like us.

Nuno's had him in his squad before and loaned him out and even though he's just had his best season the more this keeps coming up the more it feels like it's something that's just being made up in the media, like Andre Silva last year... and Nuno even played Andre Silva instead of this guy and even he isn't apparently 'his type of player' according to Shi, so how can the guy who was behind him in the pecking order at Porto be?

Yes, Nuno like's clever, hard working strikers (like Jota and Raul) but I think he wants a balance hence the purchase of Traore and interest in Rondon, just don't think its going to be this guy and he won't want to be No.2 and on our bench either at his age and also where he has Champions League football at his current club

D

Deleted member 4023

This is a different club to last year. Lets wait & see.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
We've discussed Marega on here before as he's been mentioned as a potential target for ages now.

His record looks pretty good having scored a decent number of goals including a fair few in the CL. Having said that watched him recently in their cup final v Sporting and he was utterly dreadful playing right side in a front 3...a big physical lump of a player and on the day absolutely nothing worked out for him.

Looks to me like Porto perhaps want to sell while they can while his stock is decent - we naturally are proposed as a convenient suitor. :)

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Putting all the ins and outs of how good he actually is to one side, £35M does seem like an awful lot of cheese for someone that's 28 years old... Yes we've just done that with Raul but after a loan that established him as our No.1 and a fan favourite, to do it right out of the block for this guy doesn't seem like us.

Nuno's had him in his squad before and loaned him out and even though he's just had his best season the more this keeps coming up the more it feels like it's something that's just being made up in the media, like Andre Silva last year... and Nuno even played Andre Silva instead of this guy and even he isn't apparently 'his type of player' according to Shi, so how can the guy who was behind him in the pecking order at Porto be?

Yes, Nuno like's clever, hard working strikers (like Jota and Raul) but I think he wants a balance hence the purchase of Traore and interest in Rondon, just don't think its going to be this guy and he won't want to be No.2 and on our bench either at his age and also where he has Champions League football at his current club

We shouldn’t underestimate the power of cash in decision making by a player. 28yrs old, Portuguese league aren’t the highest payers, and he gets a cut of 35m if it’s an unsolicited transfer. When you are 21 the priorities and ambitions are different and football is the first consideration then it changes - ask Gareth Bale.

Cash is king, hence why players go to China. As long as he tries and is committed if he comes that’s ok by me. Nuno must see something he likes in him (if this is true)

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think any decent striker we bring in (and we should expect Marega to be decent decen) will get plenty of game time, rotating as starter with the 2 Js. And thats ignoring injuries or suspensions.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need another option up to, physically he gives that presence in the box. Whether or not he'd stand out that much in a more physical league i'm not sure. Not the greatest touch and doesn't look the most clinical finisher i've ever seen but i think against the lesser sides he'd help us a lot.
Would he improve our squad? 100%. If its abover 30m though i'd like to think their is better value elsewhere but realistically could we get better? Probably not.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sure I have read that he doesnt like Nuno. Dont know if there are any quotes anywhere but saw this when we were linked with him a year ago.

D

Deleted member 5635

Marega e a relação com Nuno: ″Teria feito tudo para sair do FC Porto″

Translated basically means

I was hired by a coach, Fabien Delporte, who worked the physical but also the mental aspect with me, because I was really very sad. To think about going back to Portugal and looking people in the eyes was difficult, "he recalled, before commenting on the relationship with Nuno Espírito Santo"

"When I returned, Nuno Espírito Santo told me after a few days of training that he did not know me and that he had to look for a new club," he said.

And then the arrival of Sérgio Conceição. "If Nuno had stayed, I would have done everything to get out of FC Porto, it would have been difficult for me, because I have a great respect for this club."

Sounds like they really like each other :rolleyes:

portugaletc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why do you say that Portugal?
Marega is very good in the Portuguese League because he's very strong physically and the defenders can't cope with that, I don't see him standing out the same way in England, or even standing out at all. His technique is awful, he has a first-touch to rival Lukaku's, but Lukaku is much better than Marega. You could think of Marega as a mix of Lukaku and Traoré, but not necessarily of the best parts of both.
I can imagine him being useful at Wolves, because Wolves really needs a plan B, and he'd fit that need somewhat. But he is very expensive, and I'm sure you could find players with a similar profile who are cheaper and probably younger (but I don't think age matters much).
Also, he isn't a really central player, and I think Wolves should be looking for a real targetman that stays central in attack as a reference in the box, so that Wolves can have that plan B it really needs to beat more defensive teams, and have more people in the box, which Wolves often lacks.

But then again, I have my bias, I'm also not a fan of Traoré, and people here seem to like him. I think those people would probably love Marega.
My general opinion is, if Wolves were to sign him, there's a good chance they would spend £30M for no gains in goals or assists.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marega is very good in the Portuguese League because he's very strong physically and the defenders can't cope with that, I don't see him standing out the same way in England, or even standing out at all. His technique is awful, he has a first-touch to rival Lukaku's, but Lukaku is much better than Marega. You could think of Marega as a mix of Lukaku and Traoré, but not necessarily of the best parts of both.
I can imagine him being useful at Wolves, because Wolves really needs a plan B, and he'd fit that need somewhat. But he is very expensive, and I'm sure you could find players with a similar profile who are cheaper and probably younger (but I don't think age matters much).
Also, he isn't a really central player, and I think Wolves should be looking for a real targetman that stays central in attack as a reference in the box, so that Wolves can have that plan B it really needs to beat more defensive teams, and have more people in the box, which Wolves often lacks.

But then again, I have my bias, I'm also not a fan of Traoré, and people here seem to like him. I think those people would probably love Marega.
My general opinion is, if Wolves were to sign him, there's a good chance they would spend £30M for no gains in goals or assists.
Thank you for that. Well explained friend.

Back
Top Bottom