Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Managers article on OS is a shambles

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the official website there is an interesting article on our former managers, spoiled by glaring errors, which I sadly think reflects the malaise currently sinking the club.

Here’s a screenshot, with FA cup dates and the date of His passing away clearly wrong if anyone had proof read.

DD4E1BFD-3913-4FFA-AF14-08431B1E285B.png

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the official website there is an interesting article on our former managers, spoiled by glaring errors, which I sadly think reflects the malaise currently sinking the club.

Here’s a screenshot, with FA cup dates and the date of His passing away clearly wrong if anyone had proof read.

View attachment 28619
I suspect that they may be due to autocorrect/predictive text but definitely an absence of proof reading l agree.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
which I sadly think reflects the malaise currently sinking the club.

People say this kind of thing a lot, but I think it's much more plausible that the relative performance of different departments is pretty unrelated, and they just get seen in a more positive or negative lens based on recent on-pitch results.

It's just poor copying and pasting from someone in the office, I'm sure we could go back and find examples of things like this from the promotion season.

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me, I'm a genealogist and did some work for the family of Jackery Jones, the clubs hall of fame gets his place of birth, club he signed from and his place and year of death all wrong, when it comes to the official site I wouldn't trust a thing it says about the clubs history without checking it twice

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
People say this kind of thing a lot, but I think it's much more plausible that the relative performance of different departments is pretty unrelated, and they just get seen in a more positive or negative lens based on recent on-pitch results.

It's just poor copying and pasting from someone in the office, I'm sure we could go back and find examples of things like this from the promotion season.

Very true in general, but the article's pretty shocking tbf.Screenshot_20220629-154730.png

Here's another gem I spotted just on a skim read - exactly 3 years from 78-82

At best it shows no-one bothered to proof read it before publishing, particularly bad when it's supposed to be a celebratory piece about our history, where accuracy is more important than usual

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you’ll find it’s a general deterioration of journalism as a craft.
Even The Guardian is labelled the Grauniad due to the amount of errors you can pick out on any given day.
It wouldn’t even surprise me if the website maintenance has been contracted out to a company who really couldn’t give two ****s.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28619
Jeez that is absolutely shocking

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28619

Christ. That is pretty poor. Who is responsible for that?

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am afraid a lack of proof reading has haunted many publications for years now. Back in the eighties I purchased an excellent book by the then Express and Star journalist Martin Swain called " The Wolves " it was a pictorial history. It is wonderful book but there is a glaring error in it as you get to the 1980 League Cup Final parade as there is a picture of a beaming George Berry with that truly magnificent afro holding up the trophy. The description on the page reads

A triumphant Richie Barker holds aloft the League Cup in 1980

Easy mistake to make o_Oo_Oo_O

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even The Guardian is labelled the Grauniad due to the amount of errors you can pick out on any given day.
It wouldn’t even surprise me if the website maintenance has been contracted out to a company who really couldn’t give two ****s.
Private Eye started calling it the 'Grauniad' back in the mid 1960s, in fact they coined it. It was famous for its typos even back then.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it really a surprise. We're the ones who want instant gratification, be the first to know constant refreshing and 15 second videos. Gone are the days where you'd write pieces for the following days.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

One thing I will say about the Sun is the lack of spelling errors.

Although when your character limit on a word is 5 then it does tend to be easier

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The **** folk will throw at the club is beyond parody
If the club puts up a special feature on its Official Site on what it considers to be its own Top Ten managers, it's reasonable to expect that they will have checked it for basic accuracy. They clearly didn't, because it was full of mistakes. How is pointing that out 'beyond parody'?

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose it is pretty poor to post factually incorrect information about the club history on a page about... erm... the history of the club. I must admit that I wouldn't have spotted the initial error as I'm not a student of the history of the club (so to speak) to that degree. And also because I hadn't read the page! :)

So, has anybody here contacted the club to highlight the errors that they've made? There's quite a lot of haughty anger but has anybody bothered to do something about it? Given that we all care so much?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose it is pretty poor to post factually incorrect information about the club history on a page about... erm... the history of the club. I must admit that I wouldn't have spotted the initial error as I'm not a student of the history of the club (so to speak) to that degree. And also because I hadn't read the page! :)

So, has anybody here contacted the club to highlight the errors that they've made? There's quite a lot of haughty anger but has anybody bothered to do something about it? Given that we all care so much?
It's been corrected.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the club puts up a special feature on its Official Site on what it considers to be its own Top Ten managers, it's reasonable to expect that they will have checked it for basic accuracy. They clearly didn't, because it was full of mistakes. How is pointing that out 'beyond parody'?
Because putting 20 instead of 19 a couple of times in an article hidden away on the website somehow equates to the standards of the overall management of the football club

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, excellent, at least they spotted it, cheers.

I should probably read it and learn something (I'll fact check on Wiki after though...)
There are still mistakes in it though. Concerning Jack Addenbrooke, the article says:

'During that era, Addenbrooke was responsible for Wolves’ first two FA Cup wins in 1893 and 1908, and led the club to three further finals, before being awarded an English Football League long-service medal in 1909'.

Except he didn't 'lead the club to three further finals' -- he led us to one more before he died in 1922, against Spurs in 1921, which we lost. We got to the Final on three more occasions long after his death: 1939 (v Portsmouth - lost), 1949 (v Leicester, won) and 1960 (v Blackburn, won).

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because putting 20 instead of 19 a couple of times in an article hidden away on the website somehow equates to the standards of the overall management of the football club
The stuff about Addenbrooke is still factually wrong, even after they 'corrected' it -- see my last post.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score

View attachment 28619
100% agree,some people may think it is petty to pick up on things like this or spelling mistakes but shows the club as unprofessional. Clearly this has not been proof read and this could and should have been avoided. On a sidenote a couple of seasons ago i was in the club shop before the game and noticed the tv screens advertising our next home game against manchester untied!!!when i pointed this out to a member of staff they just laughed,there again it was too late then to change it

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing I will say about the Sun is the lack of spelling errors.

Although when your character limit on a word is 5 then it does tend to be easier
Their grammar, at times, is appalling.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are still mistakes in it though. Concerning Jack Addenbrooke, the article says:

'During that era, Addenbrooke was responsible for Wolves’ first two FA Cup wins in 1893 and 1908, and led the club to three further finals, before being awarded an English Football League long-service medal in 1909'.

Except he didn't 'lead the club to three further finals' -- he led us to one more before he died in 1922, against Spurs in 1921, which we lost. We got to the Final on three more occasions long after his death: 1939 (v Portsmouth - lost), 1949 (v Leicester, won) and 1960 (v Blackburn, won).
what about the final v.Sheff.W.(the Wednesday) 1896
We have had 8 finals ,4wins and 4 defeats
I have given up hope of seeing us in a final.
I`ts been the longest time between finals, 62 years and counting
Addenbrooke led us to 5 finals,2wins and 3defeats so I assume the official site meant as well as1893 and 1908 not after 1908

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what about the final v.Sheff.W.(the Wednesday) 1896
We have had 8 finals ,4wins and 4 defeats
I have given up hope of seeing us in a final.
I`ts been the longest time between finals, 62 years and counting
Addenbrooke led us to 5 finals,2wins and 3defeats so I assume the official site meant as well as1893 and 1908 not after 1908
Yes, sorry, forgot 1896. But I still only make it 4 finals under Addenbrooke, 1893, 1896, 1908, 1921. When was the 5th?

LosgallardosWolf

Reaction score
Who is running it? Spelling mistakes, incorrect information, paragraphs repeated several times. Obviously it's not about e sports so the powers that be at the club don't give a

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****ing hell! Do they bother checking ANYTHING before putting it up on the website?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Official site is dreadful. The squad lists on the u18 and u23 sections are all out of date and the lack of any real news is telling.

Back
Top Bottom