Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Man City game when will it take place?

Billben

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the postponed game against Man City will take place. I have people travelling from South Africa who wish to see the game. I know they arranged travel to coincide with the original date.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't believe it has been rearranged yet so no one knows. Might be nearer the end of the season with City having so many European midweek games.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With a bit of luck after they’ve won the PL and immediately before the CL Final so they rest as many as possible. Obviously their back up team will still be very good but every little helps!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
11th or 18th May ?
Yes - if they beat Liverpool in Cup then will be West Ham vs City one of those dates and is the other. Could be City and Liverpool for our last 2 games! Although maybe best to play City before FA Cup Final and Liverpool before CL final….?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europa League Final is 18th May….which West Ham could be in. So West Ham vs City will need to be 11th and we’ll be 18th is my guess.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Europa League Final is 18th May….which West Ham could be in. So West Ham vs City will need to be 11th and we’ll be 18th is my guess.
West Ham v Man City can stay where it is on Sunday 15th if Liverpool win the semi-final on Saturday. The dates will all depend on the outcome of the FA Cup semi-finals now.

It would be better for us if Liverpool won the semi-final as this would force them to play midweek (vs Southampton) before they would play us on the final day, so even if we had a midweek game vs Man City we wouldn't then have to go to a fully rested Liverpool.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So 11, 12, 18 or 19. Given Sky already have fixtures on 11 (Leeds Chelsea) and 12 (Spurs Arsenal) I think it will be 18 or 19….hopefully 18 with Liverpool at Southampton the following day.…..although I doubt Sky will worry about our recovery playing City and Liverpool with one day’s less rest than Liverpool.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So 11, 12, 18 or 19. Given Sky already have fixtures on 11 (Leeds Chelsea) and 12 (Spurs Arsenal) I think it will be 18 or 19….hopefully 18 with Liverpool at Southampton the following day.…..although I doubt Sky will worry about our recovery playing City and Liverpool with one day’s less rest than Liverpool.

I doubt they would put a PL game against the Europa League Final on the 18th. It's most likely Liverpool will get to play on the Tuesday (having played Saturday in the cup final) and we will have Man City on the Thursday, so Liverpool with 48 hours' more rest.

Unless Sky do the sensible thing and bin off what will be a meaningless game between Leeds and Chelsea and let us play Man City on Wed 11th, though they might want to keep that night as it is with the reserve option of dropping Chelsea v Leeds for Watford v Everton if things still look tight at the bottom.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt they would put a PL game against the Europa League Final on the 18th. It's most likely Liverpool will get to play on the Tuesday (having played Saturday in the cup final) and we will have Man City on the Thursday, so Liverpool with 48 hours' more rest.

Unless Sky do the sensible thing and bin off what will be a meaningless game between Leeds and Chelsea and let us play Man City on Wed 11th, though they might want to keep that night as it is with the reserve option of dropping Chelsea v Leeds for Watford v Everton if things still look tight at the bottom.
Good point re UEL Final…..scrub 18 as an option.

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think about our last games of the season so far….Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A), United (H) and Liverpool (A)…..bit odd that from the “random” fixture generator….
Not sure it’s a conspiracy against us, or not just us anyway, but you do have to question why 2 of the so called top teams never end up playing each other on the last day, or even the first day either?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I am hoping it is Thursday 12th May. Give us Norwich sandwiched between the two big dogs and a full weeks rest in preparation for Liverpool on the final day.

It's bound to be 19th, isn't it?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure it’s a conspiracy against us, or not just us anyway, but you do have to question why 2 of the so called top teams never end up playing each other on the last day, or even the first day either?

I’d always thought that there were various tools/ AI etc applied to stop certain fixtures happening at certain days (eg derbies on first GW, United never playing Chelsea on final day etc), I thought that was how we got “super Sunday’s” each season with City-United and Chelsea-Arsenal etc on the same date and that it was a generally known thing. Maybe I’ve been living in my own little ignorant bubble and it’s not a thing?

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’d always thought that there were various tools/ AI etc applied to stop certain fixtures happening at certain days (eg derbies on first GW, United never playing Chelsea on final day etc), I thought that was how we got “super Sunday’s” each season with City-United and Chelsea-Arsenal etc on the same date and that it was a generally known thing. Maybe I’ve been living in my own little ignorant bubble and it’s not a thing?
You are correct, but I think its just overdone now.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s got to be you’d imagine.

Consider that the last time two sky 6 sides played each other on the last day was back in 2009…

That also explains why we keep ending the season with difficult games, it’s nowt to do with any conspiracy against us but if the big 6 are kept apart then that’s one team set from 6 of the 10 ties so that means as a non-6 side we’ve got a 60% chance of ending up with one of them but only a 40% chance of picking out another non-6 side.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hasn't happened this year

Himleywolf

Reaction score
I reckon 11th of may this will be scheduled for
I have my fingers crossed for the the 11th/12th, going away for a week on the 15th. Didn't realise the Norwich game had been moved to the Sunday so I miss that would be gutted to miss City as well.
Tested the water with Mrs Himley about coming back from Cornwall for the match, all I will say is she has now started talking to me again.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought there was also meant to be a thing where either your first or last game of the season was at home? We seem to regularly get both as away games...

binners

Reaction score
I have my fingers crossed for the the 11th/12th, going away for a week on the 15th. Didn't realise the Norwich game had been moved to the Sunday so I miss that would be gutted to miss City as well.
Tested the water with Mrs Himley about coming back from Cornwall for the match, all I will say is she has now started talking to me again.
Keep testing the water.…she’ll end up going on her own….happy days

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe that under the current TV contract, the PL guarantees the TV rights holders one "big match" every matchday, consisting of two of top 6 clubs playing one another. This top 6 is created by an average of finishing positions over the previous 3 seasons; actually at present Leicester belong to this group (along with Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea & Tottenham), but not Arsenal.

As games between the top 6 only produce 30 fixtures, for the other 8 matchdays they have to call upon the 7th and 8th ranked best teams; which are (at present) Arsenal and... Wolves. You can see this reflected is in the fixtures for the remaining 5 matchdays:

Matchday 34: Arsenal v Manchester Utd
Matchday 35: Tottenham v Leicester
Matchday 36: Liverpool v Tottenham
Matchday 37: Manchester Utd v Chelsea
Matchday 38: Liverpool v Wolves

As you say, local derbies have never been arranged for the first or final days of a season. It would be too much potential for carnage if a local rival relegated the other or won the league at the other.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Liverpool's fixtures might have a say when this game happens. This week, the TV schedule was designed so that Liverpool and Man City played the same amount of games within a a couple of days of each other.

Liverpool still have to play a rearranged fixture against Southampton. They have a game every 3 or 4 days now, with the only available time to play that game on 17th or 18th May. Europa League final is on the 18th, so it's more likely to be the 17th. Man City already have a game on 15th May.

If the PL want Man City and Liverpool to always play within a couple of days of each other, at the moment, Man City don't have a fixture on or around the time Liverpool play Villa on 10th May.

So realistically, it will be 11th or 12th May.

The only other time it could be based on City's current fixtures and Europa final would be 19th, 3 days before the final game. But City would probably kick off that we are playing both sides within 3 days of each other and playing City first!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No idea why it is taking so long, also season ticket prices ridiculous wait this season too
I think the ST prices may well be on hold until they know if we're in Europe or not. Absolutely no excuse for not sorting the date of the City game. They know it has to be before the last game and options are limited so just make a decision so fans can make plans.

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Can't believe it's taking this long to sort the date for this match, don't they realise people have to make plans, if Jeff reads this can you sort it please.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think about our last games of the season so far….Liverpool (A), Chelsea (A), United (H) and Liverpool (A)…..bit odd that from the “random” fixture generator….
In fact its not 'random' at all insofar as it is programmed (e.g.) not to generate local derbies on bank holidays. But yeah, 4 seasons back in the PL and 4 tough final fixtures.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It will take place at whatever time Sky decide it will be most dramatic

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

It will take place at whatever time Sky decide it will be most dramatic
I agree it will be engineered to try and provide most exciting outcome. What’s fair won’t come into it. Similar to when Lewis Hamilton lost the F1 championship.

MDCCCLXXVII

Reaction score
Just seen on Twitter that on the Wolves website the Man City game is showing as Wednesday 11th May with a 20.15 KO time. It's not on the fixtures section of the website, but if you log into your account and check tickets it is shown there.

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Just seen on Twitter that on the Wolves website the Man City game is showing as Wednesday 11th May with a 20.15 KO time. It's not on the fixtures section of the website, but if you log into your account and check tickets it is shown there.
Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom