Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lowest Amount of Goals Scored since 1922!

Tipton Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is what you get when you put together the worst finishers in one team. A shame to be honest because so good until the 18 yard box.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hilarious that it was all Nuno's fault yet we still don't score anymore, even with RJ back. On the positive side though I feel we could easily tilt and get better stats in the second half of the season with the return of Jonny and Neto, perhaps a signing or two and other players coming back or emerging from supporting roles. We certainly have a solid base to push on from.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our wide players are worse, our ‘front 3’ is worse, we don’t create chances and we still don’t play through the middle.

We are boring the vast majority of the time I’m afraid.

To our credit our defensive unit is superb and a solid base for Bruno to build and evolve the team. It’s still very much Nuno’s team and I don’t think we’ll see what Lage’s long term vision is until next season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite incredible what Bruno has done the with the defence to put us where we are.

Clearly a change in formation is required to change this statistic though.

Change the wide players all you want - we are asking miracles of them to beat 2/3/4 men for us to score a goal .

The system doesn’t work in an attacking sense as the wing backs play full back - and the centre mids are too immobile to support attacks .

Either leave the back 3 exposed and play Semedo as wing backs , or change to 4 2 3 1 and play a creative mid

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh No not another negative thread
True but this stat reinforces and supports all the supposed 'negative' comments on here over the past 12-18 months. Some/many of us on here have been critical of our mf and attacking options for over a year now; it's a shame Fosum obviously don't feel it's an issue. We are terrible to watch and Lage has not been able to change this at all. In his defence he has transformed Coady into a top defender and has to be applauded for playing Kilman and also rapidly turning him into our best and most consistent player. Our defence has got us to 8th in the league, which is remarkable, considering we don't score. I don't expect any incomings in January so we will stick with what we have and wait with baited breath till the summer.

GigaWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given our league position were not far away then bruno... Get a partner for the mexican bandit and were in business

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we have a defensive minded midfield and wing backs the service to our forwards is limited.

Need an overhaul sooner or later to play attacking football that Lage promised us

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True but this stat reinforces and supports all the supposed 'negative' comments on here over the past 12-18 months. Some/many of us on here have been critical of our mf and attacking options for over a year now; it's a shame Fosum obviously don't feel it's an issue. We are terrible to watch and Lage has not been able to change this at all. In his defence he has transformed Coady into a top defender and has to be applauded for playing Kilman and also rapidly turning him into our best and most consistent player. Our defence has got us to 8th in the league, which is remarkable, considering we don't score. I don't expect any incomings in January so we will stick with what we have and wait with baited breath till the summer.
I don’t think Lage can be credited for Coady do you?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given our league position were not far away then bruno... Get a partner for the mexican bandit and were in business
I agree….let Raul and Podence have a good run of games and maybe alternate Silva and Hwand with them.
Podence can get in behind defences.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think Lage can be credited for Coady do you?
I do tbh Ercall. For some time I've wanted us to play a 4 with Kilman and Boly and seen Coady as almost surplus to requirements. It may be his England experiences or playing alongside an accomplished Kilman but I believe Lage has shown great faith in him and he is now playing at a different level imo. I think he is playing better for us now than at any other time. He seems assured and in command, things I never thought I'd actually say about him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hilarious that it was all Nuno's fault yet we still don't score anymore, even with RJ back. On the positive side though I feel we could easily tilt and get better stats in the second half of the season with the return of Jonny and Neto, perhaps a signing or two and other players coming back or emerging from supporting roles. We certainly have a solid base to push on from.

It's almost like we're taking to the field with 11 players of Nuno's team. Anyway, Jonny is not a goal scorer. Neto is about a 1 in 5 scorer, so it's unfair to expect him to end the drought single handedly. I suggest we stop keep signing forwards who rarely score in the hope that they will come good. But agreed, we couldnt' wish for a more solid base!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter who starts up front. If you give them the level of service we do, then they’re just going to get as frustrated as Raul clearly is.

The same foundation though, 3 at the back (including Coady and Saiss), Neves/Moutinho/Donk in midfield , did manage to score a lot more. The key difference between the wing backs and Jota.

That's it, for me, if you have a core of 3 defensive midfielders, your wing backs have to fill in providing that service. And/Or - the 3 up front have to work something out together. Combinations, like how Jota and Raul evolved a good partnership. Other than Raul and Neto, I'm not convinced any of our forwards have what it takes, anyway. They have shown themselves well capable of messing up whetever comes their way.

Our XG is still running at 6 goals higher than our actual goals, after all. Yes, XG is imperfect, but broadly I think it tells the reality, that while we are fundamentally a defensive/countering team , we still *should* have scored several more than we have. That we have a pattern of missing too many straightforward chances when they do come our way.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's almost like we're taking to the field with 11 players of Nuno's team. Anyway, Jonny is not a goal scorer. Neto is about a 1 in 5 scorer, so it's unfair to expect him to end the drought single handedly. I suggest we stop keep signing forwards who rarely score in the hope that they will come good. But agreed, we couldnt' wish for a more solid base!
Did we score more under Nuno?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To score goals you need to play balls into the centre of the penalty box , where a few wolves players await .

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we score more under Nuno?

The stat is for the whole calendar year, so includes the second half of last season. The goal drought had already started then, though not quite as bad as now. At least the neutrals could watch us leak a few in at our own end, though.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To score goals you need to play balls into the centre of the penalty box , where a few wolves players await .
Plus we don’t really have anyone deadly taking shots from around the 25 yd. Other teams know that and therefore it’s one less threat they have to contend with.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus we don’t really have anyone deadly taking shots from around the 25 yd. Other teams know that and therefore it’s one less threat they have to contend with.
I think you are right .

Podence , Traore and Silva have truly awful goalscoring stats.

Those three players have scored a total of 15 goals in 202 appearances .
Thats 3 goals every 38 appearances ( a full season)

But it just may just help if a midfielder carried the ball close to penalty box and offloaded a nice pass towards a central attacking player .

Last edited:

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
27 seems to be the magic number.
as well as the age at which a number of celebs died
it is also the fewest number of goals scored in a season
and the fewest number of goals conceded in a season

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we have a defensive minded midfield and wing backs the service to our forwards is limited.

Need an overhaul sooner or later to play attacking football that Lage promised us
It's a mindset overhaul more than a player overhaul that we need, we have a squad that could get 50+ goals in the PL but we don’t have a squad that could finish the season with a big positive goal difference. What Lage quickly realised wasn't that he didn't have the players to play attacking way he initially alluded to, he realised that every side in the PL has players that can hurt you if you give them a chance and since the Brentford game he's been **** scared of giving anything away so we've parked the bus. Until Lage changes his mentality (or we change Lage), we won't freely score goals

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find it difficult to believe the stat anyway.... obviously there are people who put more time into these things than me....but I would be surprised that somewhere between 1983-1987 we didnt score less than 42 in a calendar year......it's difficult to find the proper information but the season 84/85 we only managed 37 goals in the league all season....and we was ****e the season before and the season after

And ranking a Premier League goals tally for a year against endless championship season and 3rd 4th division totals is largely irrelevant anyway....

Annual stats are pointless anyway as no competition are done on an annual basis....I'm not disputing that we could do with scoring a few more though ..

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as we like to criticise the wide forwards, the wingbacks are more the problem for me. Jonny and especially Doc offered us something in the final third - RAN, Marcal, Semedo and Hoever have 2 goals and 3 assists between them since they signed for the club. That's unacceptable.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really shows how fantastically the well the defenders have done.
Defenders brilliant. Attacking wise atrocious.
As most Premier League managers plus the best modern day managers in the world will tell their players...

" We firstly ALL defend as a team .. and also defend from the front.. strikers when without the ball close down opponents asap "

These tactics get the best results eventually.. Wolves under Bruno imo are halfway to achieving their goal comparing them with say Man City!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as we like to criticise the wide forwards, the wingbacks are more the problem for me. Jonny and especially Doc offered us something in the final third - RAN, Marcal, Semedo and Hoever have 2 goals and 3 assists between them since they signed for the club. That's unacceptable.
Jonny offered next to nothing going forward, that not me criticizing him but he didn't...3 goals 4 assists in 3 seasons.....
Is the problem actually having wing backs in the first place, is it asking to much to defend, constantly get up the pitch , assist and score...for me it is, especially in the premier League....poor old rayan against Liverpool had to mark Salah, take the corners and we want him to score and assist .....you can't expect wing backs to do it and not expect forwards and midfielders not to do it .......do most teams in the premier League not have wingbacks and have fullbacks because they realise it's too difficult..

Fullbacks can still get forward but you don't rely so much on them making the numbers up getting forward...

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny offered next to nothing going forward, that not me criticizing him but he didn't...3 goals 4 assists in 3 seasons.....
Is the problem actually having wing backs in the first place, is it asking to much to defend, constantly get up the pitch , assist and score...for me it is, especially in the premier League....poor old rayan against Liverpool had to mark Salah, take the corners and we want him to score and assist .....you can't expect wing backs to do it and not expect forwards and midfielders not to do it .......do most teams in the premier League not have wingbacks and have fullbacks because they realise it's too difficult..

Fullbacks can still get forward but you don't rely so much on them making the numbers up getting forward...
I don't think it's fair to count last season for Jonny, as he played 7 bit-part games on the back of an ACL then re-injured it. It was the two previous seasons where Jonny got the 3 goals and 4 assists as you say - that's decent if not hugely impressive, but by himself that's still two more goal contributions than all four of our senior wingbacks combined in the two seasons they've all been at the club. That demonstrates the issue. We very much play a back five, not a back three - and the wingbacks seem programmed to stop and go backwards on the rare occasion when they do get into attacking areas. Hardly any crosses into the box (which may not be entirely their fault). Gulfs of grass between wingback and wide forward normally.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to count last season for Jonny, as he played 7 bit-part games on the back of an ACL then re-injured it. It was the two previous seasons where Jonny got the 3 goals and 4 assists as you say - that's decent if not hugely impressive, but by himself that's still two more goal contributions than all four of our senior wingbacks combined in the two seasons they've all been at the club. That demonstrates the issue. We very much play a back five, not a back three - and the wingbacks seem programmed to stop and go backwards on the rare occasion when they do get into attacking areas. Hardly any crosses into the box (which may not be entirely their fault). Gulfs of grass between wingback and wide forward normally, and virtually no linkup to speak of.
Not disagreeing with what you are saying can see both sides....for me Jonny did a decent job at wing back , more so defencively than attacking ....always wanted a left footer there personally.
Jonny was probably our best defender but for me his attributes definitely suited a full back more than a wing back........it's easier to play full back than wing back for me...just as it's easier to play centre back in a 3, than in a 2......
For me we can't have a go at semedo for goals and assist and not mention adama and moutinho for example....
Would I like more goals from our forwards yes I would but I also appreciate at times they are isolated....change the system and I would expect us to score more but concede more...

Back
Top Bottom