Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

D

Deleted member drgr12429

For the record, I'm not one who ever joined the clamour for a more exciting brand of football.

My priority when watching Wolves is that we win. If winning is more consistent playing a more conservative but controlled style, then I'm all for it.

I'm happy to win 1 0 having one shot if we limit the opposition to zero shots. I'd be happy knocking the ball around the back five for 89 minutes to protect a lead.

I was perfectly happy with Nuno's pragmatic approach, and never wanted a shift to a back four.

Lage had us playing exciting football for three matches, other than that his tenure has not seen an identity imposed on the team.

I miss the counter attack, I miss the defence setting traps and breaking at speed and in numbers, I miss that identity.
On the latter we also miss the players that allowed us to do that. Jota and Doc, then Traore and a pre injury Raul. No good even setting defensive traps when we have no one to break at speed. Pre injury Neto could. Currently RAN and Chiquinho are the only ones who can break really fast.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Playing conservative football is not a good idea if you want to break into top 6, basically impossible as 1-0s are completely unsustainable as I warned earlier in season during our good run of wins.

Sign of a good team isn't winning playing badly, it is winning playing well

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing conservative football is not a good idea if you want to break into top 6, basically impossible as 1-0s are completely unsustainable as I warned earlier in season during our good run of wins.

1-0 to the Arsenal!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the latter we also miss the players that allowed us to do that. Jota and Doc, then Traore and a pre injury Raul. No good even setting defensive traps when we have no one to break at speed. Pre injury Neto could. Currently RAN and Chiquinho are the only ones who can break really fast.
Semedo given a year to bed in is a better defender than Doc. We obviously miss Docs attacking play.

Traore did allow us to break with speed, but with next to zero end product.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You can play well and conservatively. George Graham's Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are good examples.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, and no one quick enough (of thought or feet) to support them

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

You can play well and conservatively. George Graham's Arsenal and Atletico Madrid are good examples.
As I said above Arsenal scored far more goals than people make out. They bossed most games they play, Atletico are more defensive but they still score about 65 goals a year roughly. 15 more than us at our peak which is about 20% more per year.

Big difference

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said above Arsenal scored far more goals than people make out. They bossed most games they play, Atletico are more defensive but they still score about 65 goals a year roughly. 15 more than us at our peak which is about 20% more per year.

Big difference
That may have been true in the years Arsenal actually won the league but as a rule under Graham, Arsenal won many low scoring games and had a few big wins.

As for Atleti, the vast majority of their results have them scoring just 1 or 2 goals. They've scored more than 2 in just 9 of 56 games this season.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the record, I'm not one who ever joined the clamour for a more exciting brand of football.

My priority when watching Wolves is that we win. If winning is more consistent playing a more conservative but controlled style, then I'm all for it.

I'm happy to win 1 0 having one shot if we limit the opposition to zero shots. I'd be happy knocking the ball around the back five for 89 minutes to protect a lead.

I was perfectly happy with Nuno's pragmatic approach, and never wanted a shift to a back four.

Lage had us playing exciting football for three matches, other than that his tenure has not seen an identity imposed on the team.

I miss the counter attack, I miss the defence setting traps and breaking at speed and in numbers, I miss that identity.

You've painted a very dull 90s Italian style brand of football there.

It won't win fans around the globe playing that. I'm not sure I could stomach it either.

In fact I'm thoroughly bored of the turgid sideways and backwards crap that we played in latter-day Nuno and this under Bruno.

For it to be remotely entertaining you need to have technically great and explosively quick forwards.

I can't remember the last time we broke convincingly at speed.

We're a very tough side to watch again.
So boring.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

That may have been true in the years Arsenal actually won the league but as a rule under Graham, Arsenal won many low scoring games and had a few big wins.

As for Atleti, the vast majority of their results have them scoring just 1 or 2 goals. They've scored more than 2 in just 9 of 56 games this season.
Yeah they've been really bad this season which is why they are so far off Madrid.

Think about what you just wrote, in the years Arsenal won the league they scored more goals...

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We shouldn't be swapping managers so quickly..Lage has had a full season with us, he knows what players we need for next season. Bringing Lopetegui in would mean starting from square one, and a gamble..
Depends on what you see as success. For me it’s more than the position in the table. The football is dreadful. Entertainment is zero. Can’t score and can hardly defend. The players are better than this and that’s down to the manager for not managing them.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But they were playing for him.We were in a great position before the Leeds game,and it's gone downhill since.Like I've said many times now.Some of these players have probably bin told they won't be here next season,and it showing in their performances.If these players think they should be a shoe in for the first team,then perhaps it's best they move away.Two top class players for every position means they won't be playing every game.If they car except this then we dow need em.Bruno said something about there NOT being a bust up,but words were spoken and they have made peace.I doubt that very much.Some are throwing the dummy out cuz they ay bin playing.A shake up is definitely needed.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But they were playing for him.We were in a great position before the Leeds game,and it's gone downhill since.Like I've said many times now.Some of these players have probably bin told they won't be here next season,and it showing in their performances.If these players think they should be a shoe in for the first team,then perhaps it's best they move away.Two top class players for every position means they won't be playing every game.If they car except this then we dow need em.Bruno said something about there NOT being a bust up,but words were spoken and they have made peace.I doubt that very much.Some are throwing the dummy out cuz they ay bin playing.A shake up is definitely needed.
I dont think theres been a really good performance since we hit 40 points early Feb
Yes theres been the odd half a game where we played well or 20 minutes at the end, but nothing really over a full 90 minutes

There seems a general lack of fitness,several players look out on their feet after an hour or so,whether its a mental thing or just poor training idk but its there
There is something wrong in the team,or behind the scenes, maybe both
They are basically the same squad we have had for 4 seasons,and ive never questioned their desire,even if things go badly,but i am now

Every player should be questioning why they are not in the team,that shows desire and ambition,especially if the team is not performing,i have no issue at all with that

The body language of certain players also is poor,and thats a big concern
If you are throwing your arms about, kicking the turf, shrugging your shoulders, whatever,you arent concentrating on your game and certainly not helping your team,that needs to be stamped out pronto

So all in all i think Bruno has some major problems,and some big decisions to make soon,if indeed he still remains here

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking back now,I'm glad we ay in that euro conference league.I'd much rather keep saving and have more money next year wen wim in the champions league. :tonguewink:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah they've been really bad this season which is why they are so far off Madrid.

Think about what you just wrote, in the years Arsenal won the league they scored more goals...
I don't expect us to win the league. I expect us to strongly challenge for European football, which I don't believe requires scoring nearly 2 goals a game.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've painted a very dull 90s Italian style brand of football there.

It won't win fans around the globe playing that. I'm not sure I could stomach it either.

In fact I'm thoroughly bored of the turgid sideways and backwards crap that we played in latter-day Nuno and this under Bruno.

For it to be remotely entertaining you need to have technically great and explosively quick forwards.

I can't remember the last time we broke convincingly at speed.

We're a very tough side to watch again.
So boring.
I'm not suggesting we try and implement that super defensive style. I'm suggesting that if it delivered European football, it's preferable to the dirge Lage is dishing out

W

WasStefan

We should be moving heaven and earth to get this guy in. We say there is no sentiment in football, and that should also apply to not holding the past against people imo

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting we try and implement that super defensive style. I'm suggesting that if it delivered European football, it's preferable to the dirge Lage is dishing out

Give me entertaining football resulting in an 8th finish season on season than defensive boring football and a 7th place finish.

The last 2 seasons have been a really hard watch with occasional watchability.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a Spanish journo on the radio last week (think it was 5 Live) speaking about Lopetegui and Seville.
Nothing was mentioned about Wolves, but he was saying that a reason he might well be leaving is because they can't stand his defensive style of football! :rolleyes:
Out of the frying pan....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't expect us to win the league. I expect us to strongly challenge for European football, which I don't believe requires scoring nearly 2 goals a game.
Needs to be at-least 10+ more than we ever scored at our best, struggled to find a team when I looked who made Europe consistently with less than 60 goals.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should be moving heaven and earth to get this guy in. We say there is no sentiment in football, and that should also apply to not holding the past against people imo
If Nuno apparently lost his job due to the type of football played and Bruno does as well, then the answer to the question isn’t Lopetugi

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was attracted by 'the project' back in 2016, the same project that attracted Neves, Jota, Moutinho, Raul, Nuno and many others.

Sadly the project no longer seems to exist. Lopetegui won't want to join a club looking to amble along, spending very little money and hopefully finishing mid-table.
This sums it up. Does "The Project" even exist under the coyly titled *self sufficiency* aka Morgan and Moxey model that FOSUN have imposed on us lately? Why would anyone want to take this job after Nuno and Bruno were denied the funds to consolidate and build their squads?

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno apparently lost his job due to the type of football played and Bruno does as well, then the answer to the question isn’t Lopetugi
agree - he did a decent enough job with Sevilla but is still very pragmatic in general - and also arguably had a stronger squad than Bruno

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Needs to be at-least 10+ more than we ever scored at our best, struggled to find a team when I looked who made Europe consistently with less than 60 goals.
I was even surprised to learn that since the 09/10 season, at least 1 team every year has finished in the top 7 of the PL, having scored fewer than 60 goals.

18 teams in total have finished in the top 7 over the past 12 seasons, with the possibility of 3 more joining them this year.

Goal difference seems to be king when discussing European qualifiers. If you finish with a positive goal difference, you've half a chance of Europe.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally I dont think it's worth changing the manager unless we go for a substantial increase in quality.

We were pretty negative at times this year but I genuinely believe Bruno wants to be attacking. This potential change smacks of doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result I.e. definition of madness.

The Newcastle turnaround shows you the importance of a manager having his own players. Let's face it nobody here would be impressed with Howe as manager and even less so with Trippier, Burn, Targett, Wood etc. However they had a fighting chance because the manager was backed to sign players he wanted to play his way. I still wouldn't take any of them but I'm jealous as hell that their board made logical choices.

For me we must back whoever we take forward else there is only 1 way we will be going.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I was even surprised to learn that since the 09/10 season, at least 1 team every year has finished in the top 7 of the PL, having scored fewer than 60 goals.

18 teams in total have finished in the top 7 over the past 12 seasons, with the possibility of 3 more joining them this year.

Goal difference seems to be king when discussing European qualifiers. If you finish with a positive goal difference, you've half a chance of Europe.
I meant top 6, top 7/8 yeah you can do that.

How many top 6? Obviously conference league is cool but is it worth boring football? Idk, judgement call

Back
Top Bottom