Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Vs Wolves verdict

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah he probably doesn't trust them like most Prem managers don't. Because they aren't good enough. The odds of a team finding more than one good premier league player out of their academy in 3-5 years is very low. Idea we should have 4 or 5 on the pitch is madness
Oh totally agree we shouldn't be putting 4 or 5 on the pitch. But losing by the odd goal in the last 20 minutes of a game, there's nothing to lose by throwing on a Cundle to see if he makes something happen

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly, his man is completely out of the game so tuck in and force the ball wide to him but he can't because his legs won't let him get back.

Look how far behind the play he is. He is 3 yards behind the rest of the back line, if he is in line he intercepts that pass or forces it to go wide.
I love jonny but he was just appalling today. Everything he did was terrible except for one forwards move. RAN was mixed but he messed up twice where it mattered. Concentration.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Oh totally agree we shouldn't be putting 4 or 5 on the pitch. But losing by the odd goal in the last 20 minutes of a game, there's nothing to lose by throwing on a Cundle to see if he makes something happen
I think the other players are more likely too though that's the thing as they are better even tired. Campbell made sense as he has a goal out of nothing in his locker

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, you're in the minority. We have nothing at all, Leeds swatted us aside with ease in the end and tbf the apathy can be easily felt in the away end, one of the most tame and frankly, finished, I've been in years. It stinks of death.
Only in the sense that we died after 70 mins and bruno refused to use subs (and then made a dubious one). I get that he doesn't have a great hand but his subs were a running joke last season and he repeated that today.

If players are dead on their feet or the game has swung you have to change something. The bench is poor but it still exists. They're not rubbish players. They had to come on and they didn't. In fact I felt he put on the one player who seems furthest from being ready.

The responses on here about the performance are mostly way ott. Even first half, dominated until 65-70 second half. Issues obvious and need solving. Also, bit of credit to leeds required.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the other players are more likely too though that's the thing as they are better even tired. Campbell made sense as he has a goal out of nothing in his locker
At this level? Maybe if chances created but no one around him had anything left and he doesn't look ready to me. Happy to be proved wrong.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

At this level? Maybe if chances created but no one around him had anything left and he doesn't look ready to me. Happy to be proved wrong.
I mean he has a great right foot, so theoretically yet could ping one in but yeah highly unlikely.

Hwang was clearly injured so that was the only one that made sense

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean he has a great right foot, so theoretically yet could ping one in but yeah highly unlikely.

Hwang was clearly injured so that was the only one that made sense
Hwang had to go off, but lage wouldn't make any other subs when for me we had to try to bring some energy back and add more down the middle. Which is why I felt ronan or cundle should have been on.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Hwang had to go off, but lage wouldn't make any other subs when for me we had to try to bring some energy back and add more down the middle. Which is why I felt ronan or cundle should have been on.
Just don't see what they offer that those on the pitch didn't.

Don't think either are close to good enough. Cundle has a small shot given his age but when he played he was a sideways to sideways keep it tidy player.

Ronan I doubt many Championship clubs would be particularly interested in.

Cundle on for Donk for e.g in a game we are already being physically battered in doesn't strike me as a winner.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just don't see what they offer that those on the pitch didn't.

Don't think either are close to good enough. Cundle has a small shot given his age but when he played he was a sideways to sideways keep it tidy player.

Ronan I doubt many Championship clubs would be particularly interested in.

Cundle on for Donk for e.g in a game we are already being physically battered in doesn't strike me as a winner.
Maybe but when legs have gone, and frustration kicks in, you need to change it up. The two players need a chance (as does bueno). We were losing and looked completely unable to step our game up.

I would have taken off mgw or pod, not dendoncker fwiw. And I would much rather see mgw in the middle than out wide.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Maybe but when legs have gone, and frustration kicks in, you need to change it up. The two players need a chance (as does bueno). We were losing and looked completely unable to step our game up.

I would have taken off mgw or pod, not dendoncker fwiw. And I would much rather see mgw in the middle than out wide.
Yeah, last 10 or so suppose it might have been worth it.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, last 10 or so suppose it might have been worth it.
Last 15 or so yep. I don't disagree about the quality issue but ronan can shoot and take set pieces. That plus fresh energy which we desperately needed.

Is bueno left or right sided? Because if right, I'd have hooked jonny for the same period. His injury may have really done him sadly. Just looked so out of shape. He used to be solid as a rock.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They would have stuck out like a sore thumb against Leeds high press.
You could be right, but we dont know because we didnt get to see it. What we were doing wasnt working anyway so its not like we had much to lose.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
He was trying to win the game, the best players were all on the pitch bar Campbell. Making changes for the sake of it is not what managers do, when Pep is happy with a game he often doesn't even make 1 until right at the end.

Bruno is a reactive manager, not proactive. Often times you see the other team overrunning ours and controlling the game and you can see the equalizer or the winner coming for the opposition and more often than not, as every fan can see it, it happens, but Bruno is blind to it.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno is a reactive manager, not proactive. Often times you see the other team overrunning ours and controlling the game and you can see the equalizer or the winner coming for the opposition and more often than not, as every fan can see it, it happens, but Bruno is blind to it.
Don't agree. We were the better team until they scored. If Bruno had a crystal ball yes, he might have replaced Hwang with Cundle or Ronan to give Neves and Donk a bit of help. But it's hardly a sackable offence.

As it happens, it was a game I think we would have won had Moutinho been fit.

Last edited:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I saw of the highlights I thought we were a bit unlucky to lose. We created some good chances. There is obviously a lot of skill in the team. The defence looked open and sloppy. The new system is obviously a work in progress. We definitely need 3 in midfield, and signing a new proper midfielder is a priority.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were unlucky to lose, we played very well in parts. All of the frustration imo come from the fact that we were unable to really go for it because of literally no options on the bench.
Spot on

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sorry,but I don´t see us being competitve enough resultwise playing four at the back.
Jonny and RAN isn´t reliable enough defencewise and Collins and Kilman is a work in progress at best,and I don´t think we have time on our side this season for it to click in a decent fashion soon enough.
Go on and verbally kill me..but I would opt to go back to five at the back and bring Coady back into the starting eleven.
Tablewise,it is all about getting the necessary amount of points at the board to avoid relegation of the club.
At the very least..up til Semedos back and firing on all cylinders defending I just don´t see us cope with four at the back.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
We were unlucky to lose, we played very well in parts. All of the frustration imo come from the fact that we were unable to really go for it because of literally no options on the bench.
My thoughts exactly....

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Struggled first half with Leeds press, but started the second half very strongly and dominated up until about the 70th minute, their goal completely changed the game. We were pretty poor in the final third, final ball wasn't great, Meslier made some incredible saves as well.

Expected more from the front four if I'm being honest, although Hwang did everything he could. Kilman and Collins it's hard to criticise them, hardly put a foot wrong. Sa all over the place in the first half and at fault for their goal, VAR should have given them a penalty as well when he decided to be Superman again. Ait-Nouri pretty disappointing as well, gave the ball away all first half, looked quite weak in the tackle, let his man get the run on him for their second goal.

A lot that needs to improve, but also some very encouraging signs. Disappointing though to lose to a very poor Leeds team, who I think will struggle to stay up based on this showing. Our lack of ANYTHING on the bench is actually a joke. I know Semedo, Traore, Moutinho, Jimenez all out injured but we've all been crying out for a striker and midfielder for months and still nothing has materialised, and it's becoming a bit of a joke at this point, as we have U23's making up the majority of our bench.

Sa - 4 - Improved second half, but that first half was as poor as he will ever play for us.
Jonny - 6 - hard to criticise Jonny, sturdy performance, good going forwards and defensively.
Collins - 6 - didn't think he did much wrong, comfortable on the ball.
Kilman - 6 - didn't think he did much wrong, comfortable on the ball. Should have scored.
RAN - 4 - Hopefully only way is up from this performance. He's so much better than this. Have to remember he's only just turned 21.
Neves - 6 - Don't think it was his worst game, felt a little behind the pace at times compared to his usual standards, but not bad.
Dendoncker - 6 - Unlucky not to score twice thanks to a couple of incredible saves from Meslier. Needed to come deeper first half to help.
Neto - 6 - Tried and tried, but still seems a little rusty to me. Needs a goal to get his confidence back.
Podence - 6 - Again, not for lack of trying, but a lot of his final balls in the final third weren't up to his usual standards.
MGW - 5 - Just went missing at times, when he does get into the game he makes things happen. It will click.
Hwang - 7 - MOTM for me, ran his socks off and did everything in his power to help us get the win today, proved a lot of people wrong.

I hope this defeat wakes the ownership up, we need a quality midfielder that can start next to Neves, and a striker that can provide competition to Raul. If we don't address those two positions, it's going to be a very long season.
Neves 6!!! 8 for me and was by far MOTM

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He never will and will never criticise Shi and Sellars. He prefers to have a go at posters on here who dare question them.
Spot on. Has zero credibility. Offers nothing to this forum. Thinks he’s above the rest of us

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can’t be anything other than reactive as he hasn’t got the quality to be pro-active off the bench. He has never had it, this isn’t a this season occurance.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When we were good we looked very good, but at the same time when we were bad, we were pretty bad. Totally agree about the bench. We are going to get this every game if our squad doesnt increase in size. Bench players now with 5 subs are going to be as important as the starters.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we were good we looked very good, but at the same time when we were bad, we were pretty bad. Totally agree about the bench. We are going to get this every game if our squad doesnt increase in size. Bench players now with 5 subs are going to be as important as the starters.
Yeah we had our good moments and bad ones for sure. A draw would’ve been a fair result imo. But yep subs are going to be so important, fingers crossed we get a few quality players in this week.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jiminez, Moutinho, Traore, Semedo. Make a difference?
In a theoretical parallel universe where football players are immune from injury and illness it makes a difference for sure.

The way Neves was struggling at the start of the game he could conceivably have a reaction and not be available for Fulham.

But at least the theoretical subs bench won't be weakened so no problem.

Don't forget Chiqinho to bolster the theoretical match day squad

Last edited:

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
I'm all for the back 4 and we looked decent for spells but given the available players maybe we should of played the usual system, given we have enough defensive cover. May have had a least one sub we could of brought on to freshen the attack.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In hindsight we actually played well for large parts and even if we had ended 1-1 the mood on here would be massively different.

The anger stems from the **** poor squad situation we seem to have largely brought upon ourselves. Can’t undo where we are, but we can still turn things around this week.

Huge few days ahead.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like the anger from looking at the bench and transfer window has stopped us from having an intelligent discussion about yesterday's game. I've seen alot of 'exactly the same as last season' comments. That's not what happened yesterday.

There were positives and negatives to be taken from yesterday's game, but it certainly wasn't bland.

Last edited:

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Sellars hyping up the academy lads to a certain extent because of him being the boss in the past, they are all bigged up to be the answer to all our problems on the bench when they ain't. We can all see that. Most of them will probably never make it in the Premier League.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Sellars hyping up the academy lads to a certain extent because of him being the boss in the past, they are all bigged up to be the answer to all our problems on the bench when they ain't. We can all see that. Most of them will probably never make it in the Premier League.
I agree but that is sadly true of most academy players at all PL clubs.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel like the anger from looking at the bench and transfer window has stopped us from having an intelligent discussion about yesterday's. I've seen alot of exactly the same as last season comments. That's not what happened yesterday.

There were positives and negatives to be taken from yesterday's game, but it certainly wasn't bland.
This is right. Was also lazy punditry on MOTD trying to link us to last season.

We had 61% possession, more shots, more shots on target and a higher xG than Leeds.

There was a lot to like. Even looking back when Leeds were on top in the first 30 minutes, they didn't actually do too much. The goal was all our own doing and if Sa doesn't make a howler them who knows.

Of course, there are areas to improve but we were better than Leeds which is encouraging, although I don't think they're great.

However, I do understand why everyone is focusing their anger above Bruno because I believe as well it's ultimately what cost us.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lost to a team managed by Ted Lasso that everyone has tipped to be relegated, great start :cool:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was decent first half, didnt think much of his display second half but he could well have been injured. Like Podence though, i'm right off them with their over the top play acting and diving. I know its part of the game now, but those 2 are embarrassing.
In some ways hwang is even worse than podence. Any time he's tackled he acts like he's been shot.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Sa 5
Big save but absolute calamity in first half. Hope the save warms him up

Jonny
Don't want to give him a rating out of respect for a great servant. Totally and utterly done. Physically shot and he knows it. Really sad. Semedo back ASAP.

Kilman 6
Pretty poor on the ball and should have thrown himself at the cross.

Collins 6
Brought ball forward pretty well, also didn't do great at times.

Ait-Nouri 4
Dismal mental errors, looked like he was not aware season had started.

Neves 8
Really poor 1st half, brilliant 2nd half. Showed the class he has as Leeds pressed faded. Against a high press a serious concern still, he has to be more press resistant.

Donk 8
Really great breaking up play, won tons of ball and should have done better with first chance but excellently times run.

Podence 6
Some nice touches, head on a swivel but left too many passes short.

MGW 6.5
Showed he had what we lack, lovely close control be created angles for Neves in particular.

Neto 7
Brilliant at times but decision making still not there (as it won't be at his age) and messed up a few good attacks

Hwang 7
Really good in first half, worked his **** off. Good performance

Lage broadly got it right with the hand he was dealt.

We all know what we need, CM the key as it has needed to be upgraded for years. ST as well but Hwang showed he is a solid player centrally
Ait nouri has all the talent in the world but looks like he’s on a different planet at times.
He won a lot of balls. He did nothing with any of them. Maybe two sideways passes? It was turn and play back every other time. Slows us down and allows opponents to reorganise. And not forgetting his weak headers at goal and mediocre finish where a real striker would have
Looked like he Lost his man and trying to make up for it put it in his own net, few players should've done better though
Was his fault.basics of football is track your man, and take responsibility.he was out of position and that’s why he put it in his own net.

Back
Top Bottom