Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Vs Wolves verdict

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd add to this that our inability to score goals, yet again, equally cost us the game.

Can't really judge with no striker on the pitch.

Hwang put himself about but he should be used to close out games I feel

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Leeds opening goal again on MOTD2, almost made me feel sick.

Yes, I know that feeling too! Leeds created next to nothing. We gifted them 2 goals - and with Sa's attempted own goal, probably their next best chance, too.

Not going to panic at this stage as we all know our problems and two additions will have us safe and playing more positive football than the counter attacking we've done for years. One of those additions is in already. And I'd be more worried about Leeds than us, after that match. Unless they can get further additions of similar quality to Guedes, no way will they finish above us.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to various leeds comments - we totally dominated the second half until the subs. The leeds bench was also full of u20 players except for one (not verified this).

Lage needs to use his bench, end of. I understand it's not perfect to say the least but his inability to change games when obvious we need to is going to get him fired.
Gelhardt vs Ronan is quite a difference. One was electric last season in the PL, an England younger age star and tipped for the top; the other is probably lower Championship/L1 level. Klitch looks decent for them too. If you're Marsch you look at the bench and think 'worth a go', if you're Lage you don't even want to look at them because it reminds you how **** the squad is. We're not in a position to have quality cover in every position, but to have three midfielders is a ****ing joke.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
First, I have to say that I'm so happy that the season has started finally! I can now resume my Saturday early morning football watching...

I thought that the team played pretty well overall and you can see much more attacking intent with 3 or 4 players getting into the box at times. In my opinion, I thought we shaded the first half and dominated the second half until about 70 minutes into the game and then faded. Played well enough to get at least a point away at Leeds.

Standouts:
Donk played really well - he made many crucial interceptions and was unlucky for that golden chance.
Hwang also played pretty well, had a really nice bring down and shot, good assist to Podence, and provided plenty of energy - faded after he had that tweak.
Kilman had a good game as well - calm on the ball and several good clearances; felt he played better than Collins.

Decent Performances:
Neves played well, but not above expectations IMO.
Neto had some nice direct runs and good cross to Hwang and phenomenal turn and dribble in the box.
Collins played pretty well, but there were some shaky moments in there as well--all in all, good game.

Eh...:
MGW, Podence, Johnny -- didn't do enough or were below par for what we would expect. MGW didn't impose himself enough; Johnny had come really poor touches and seemed slow to react at times. Podence, despite the goal, faded in and out.

Stinkers:
RAN did not have a good game at all surprisingly since he looked really good in the pre-season. Mostly fault for the first goal by giving it away in the box and not tracking the man at the back post for the second.
SA was all over the place in this game--did his best Rui impersonation by letting in a shot at his near post; but then was lucky with the penalty non-call and his calamitous dribbling near the back line. Great save though to keep us in the game.

Kennedy

Reaction score
First, I have to say that I'm so happy that the season has started finally! I can now resume my Saturday early morning football watching...

I thought that the team played pretty well overall and you can see much more attacking intent with 3 or 4 players getting into the box at times. In my opinion, I thought we shaded the first half and dominated the second half until about 70 minutes into the game and then faded. Played well enough to get at least a point away at Leeds.

Standouts:
Donk played really well - he made many crucial interceptions and was unlucky for that golden chance.
Hwang also played pretty well, had a really nice bring down and shot, good assist to Podence, and provided plenty of energy - faded after he had that tweak.
Kilman had a good game as well - calm on the ball and several good clearances; felt he played better than Collins.

Decent Performances:
Neves played well, but not above expectations IMO.
Neto had some nice direct runs and good cross to Hwang and phenomenal turn and dribble in the box.
Collins played pretty well, but there were some shaky moments in there as well--all in all, good game.

Eh...:
MGW, Podence, Johnny -- didn't do enough or were below par for what we would expect. MGW didn't impose himself enough; Johnny had come really poor touches and seemed slow to react at times. Podence, despite the goal, faded in and out.

Stinkers:
RAN did not have a good game at all surprisingly since he looked really good in the pre-season. Mostly fault for the first goal by giving it away in the box and not tracking the man at the back post for the second.
SA was all over the place in this game--did his best Rui impersonation by letting in a shot at his near post; but then was lucky with the penalty non-call and his calamitous dribbling near the back line. Great save though to keep us in the game.
I agree with the stinkers,not sure why Donk is getting praised,thought he did OK but nothing more.

I didn't think Neves was at his best either.

Hwang did Ok and was unlucky not to score and I thought King Kilman was not at his imperious best.

Neto showed he is properly back and I can't wait to see more of him.

Basically we gave them the first goal and all felt a bit inevitable after that.

First 15 / 20 of second half we were excellent.

Dare I say we missed Coadys organisation? Not that I want to go back to a five man defence, we just need to get everyone bedded in. Sa wasn't match fit really to be fair..

I just really hope we beat Fulham now...

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I agree with the stinkers,not sure why Donk is getting praised,thought he did OK but nothing more.

I didn't think Neves was at his best either.

Hwang did Ok and was unlucky not to score and I thought King Kilman was not at his imperious best.

Neto showed he is properly back and I can't wait to see more of him.

Basically we gave them the first goal and all felt a bit inevitable after that.

First 15 / 20 of second half we were excellent.

Dare I say we missed Coadys organisation? Not that I want to go back to a five man defence, we just need to get everyone bedded in. Sa wasn't match fit really to be fair..

I just really hope we beat Fulham now...
I would have to watch the replay and see why I thought Donk played so well - he was certainly less anonymous than usual (which I think is part of his game...he does some of the hidden work, covering for people, etc.); made some important tackles and interceptions, and just missed scoring two goals.

Hwang is not as bad as people have been going on about him. He's much better centrally and he proved that today. His touch last season was terrible; but, he showed that he can bring the ball down and shoot in one motion...his injury hampered him though.

Agreed on Neto - looks like he's shaken off the cobwebs from his game after the injury.

I actually thought we were still on it after the first goal - and really unlucky to give up a goal against the run of play. After the second goal, then it was a bit inevitable - just didn't have enough to get back even.

In regards to the defense, we were a little shaky at times, especially in the first half; but, Leeds' style kind of does that to you. And lots of adrenaline for the first game, so both teams came out with lots of energy - super back and forth. Thought we were in for at least a 4-goal game...

Lastly, Sa is a really aggressive, and sometimes rash, goalkeeper. We should be prepared for some really dodgy moments as this won't be the last time we see him get caught out of position. He did it many times last year and barely got away with it.

Kennedy

Reaction score
I would have to watch the replay and see why I thought Donk played so well - he was certainly less anonymous than usual (which I think is part of his game...he does some of the hidden work, covering for people, etc.); made some important tackles and interceptions, and just missed scoring two goals.

Hwang is not as bad as people have been going on about him. He's much better centrally and he proved that today. His touch last season was terrible; but, he showed that he can bring the ball down and shoot in one motion...his injury hampered him though.

Agreed on Neto - looks like he's shaken off the cobwebs from his game after the injury.

I actually thought we were still on it after the first goal - and really unlucky to give up a goal against the run of play. After the second goal, then it was a bit inevitable - just didn't have enough to get back even.

In regards to the defense, we were a little shaky at times, especially in the first half; but, Leeds' style kind of does that to you. And lots of adrenaline for the first game, so both teams came out with lots of energy - super back and forth. Thought we were in for at least a 4-goal game...

Lastly, Sa is a really aggressive, and sometimes rash, goalkeeper. We should be prepared for some really dodgy moments as this won't be the last time we see him get caught out of position. He did it many times last year and barely got away with it.
I didn't think Donk had a bad game at all and I'm certainly not a hater, I just didn't think he stood out.

At the end of the day we went and dominated possession at Elland Road, on the first day of the season.

A bit of work on the training ground and a few reinforcement and returns from injury and we will be up there as the best of the rest...

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donk had a good 20 minutes in the second half but the issue is his limitations - and they were on display all game. Even on a good day, he just doesn't do enough where it matters - defensively or offensively.

So yeah, he did ok and had a couple of good moments, but he also missed an easy chance yet again, struggled to win the ball, and struggled to do much useful with it when he did have it.

He's a useful body but should not be starting.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Donk had a good 20 minutes in the second half but the issue is his limitations - and they were on display all game. Even on a good day, he just doesn't do enough where it matters - defensively or offensively.

So yeah, he did ok and had a couple of good moments, but he also missed an easy chance yet again, struggled to win the ball, and struggled to do much useful with it when he did have it.

He's a useful body but should not be starting.
Struggled to win the ball but had the most interceptions in the match. Right then

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Struggled to win the ball but had the most interceptions in the match. Right then
Don't come at me with your facts!

I guess I just remember seeing him do that for 20 minutes but not so much the rest of the game. Tho that was more leeds passing it to him, not tackles which I just remember him stepping out of.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I didn't think Donk had a bad game at all and I'm certainly not a hater, I just didn't think he stood out.

At the end of the day we went and dominated possession at Elland Road, on the first day of the season.

A bit of work on the training ground and a few reinforcement and returns from injury and we will be up there as the best of the rest...
I thought donk was god awful first half, however 2nd half when we had a purple patch he looked a lot better but also seemed to be the sitting midfielder at this time, but the problem is like the first half most of his time is spent running behind the play chasing, hence his good running stats

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves had 15 shots at Elland Road on Saturday, a total they only bettered in five of their 38 league games last season.

They had six on target, a number they bettered just twice last year, even if one of those was also away against Leeds.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest question hanging over us about this match is : did anyone ever find out what the "thing that you shouldn't say" that Marsch actually said was?

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought donk was god awful first half, however 2nd half when we had a purple patch he looked a lot better but also seemed to be the sitting midfielder at this time, but the problem is like the first half most of his time is spent running behind the play chasing, hence his good running stats
This. He's not a bad player but he's not good enough at any one thing to be any more than a utility player imho.

Useful to have around though.

Back
Top Bottom