Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds Vs Wolves verdict

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This summer has clearly not gone to plan. I find it incredible that we started a premier league season with a bench as weak and inexperienced as that. Mosquera, Cundle, Hodge, Bueno and Campbell should all really be out on loan. Boly and Coady aside, our sub options yesterday have made a combined 12 appearances for Wolves in total. 12!!!! Fosun had a lot of credit in the bank, but this is dissipating rapidly. We seem complacent and lacking any real urgency or ambition. Looks like we’ll bring in Guedes and perhaps a striker this week, but no doubt we’ll go and balance things out by flogging Coady and MGW.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worrying though one of them has already beaten us and wouldn't bet against any of the others not doing it with the current imbalanced squad
Yeah the team that is worse than us is in far better form than us and has a far better record against us

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only in the sense that we died after 70 mins and bruno refused to use subs (and then made a dubious one). I get that he doesn't have a great hand but his subs were a running joke last season and he repeated that today.

If players are dead on their feet or the game has swung you have to change something. The bench is poor but it still exists. They're not rubbish players. They had to come on and they didn't. In fact I felt he put on the one player who seems furthest from being ready.

The responses on here about the performance are mostly way ott. Even first half, dominated until 65-70 second half. Issues obvious and need solving. Also, bit of credit to leeds required.
Agree in part, the performance was better than some are suggesting. Hwang and Dendoncker did far better than they have historically. However, if you look at the areas we could have replaced from the bench to make a difference, they were the wrong type of players - we had no attackers, no creative players (bar perhaps Ronan) and no wing-back to replace the disappointing Jonny

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to various leeds comments - we totally dominated the second half until the subs. The leeds bench was also full of u20 players except for one (not verified this).

Lage needs to use his bench, end of. I understand it's not perfect to say the least but his inability to change games when obvious we need to is going to get him fired.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still, shouldn't he be able to do better than 7 defeats out of the last 10?
Perhaps. Yesterday we’d have easily gotten a point if we could score goals, something Bruno has been saying the team lacks since he got here. And, of course the fresh legs on the bench who he rates good enough to make an impact.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a pity the management aren't getting the players in that Bruno desperately needs. His whole body language in the post match interview was one of frustration. It was shown by Nuno as well while he was here. Getting him 3 mature signings of decent quality could make a huge difference to a squad of obvious talent, they don't need to be huge transfer buys just good solid professionals.

4evawolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't agree. We were the better team until they scored. If Bruno had a crystal ball yes, he might have replaced Hwang with Cundle or Ronan to give Neves and Donk a bit of help. But it's hardly a sackable offence.

As it happens, it was a game I think we would have won had Moutinho been fit.
We're do you get your rose tinted glasses from

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I defended S & S last summer (despite the last minute **** take of Botman & Sanches) and even in January. But that bench is representative of a team with little ambition. It's going to be ok though. Sellars has a degree or something. Fulham & Bournemouth laid down a wee marker for the promoted clubs too.

Clearly too early to predict or read into anything, but I’m fearing there are similarities between now and the 2011/12 season:

• The fairly unanimous belief the newly promoted teams will be rubbish
  • Dropping the captain, a player who is significantly linked to our fighting spirit
  • New centre back coming in from a relegated team

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 4 2 3 1 formation when played by us exposes our defensive frailties out wide. RAN, good wingback though he is, is a fullback withe defensive weaknesses that are more exposed in a 2CB system than a 3, and Jonny - as we saw at the end of last season - is not (yet?) as mobile as he was before his injuries.

This puts a lot of stress on the two defensive midfielders, who are left exposed by the fact that our 3 behind the central striker are, to put it bluntly, **** at defending.

We need another central midfielder to move to 4 3 3, one who can both offer defensive support and link with the front 3.

Neves, Mouts, Donk, Ronan plus one more, please.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ait nouri has all the talent in the world but looks like he’s on a different planet at times.

Was his fault.basics of football is track your man, and take responsibility.he was out of position and that’s why he put it in his own net.

That's so true on Ait Nouri! Yet another talented enigma. Just hope that it's a one off, as all young players tend to have these kind of "not at the races" matches. He seemed to have improve his concentration and positioning last season, but yesterday was not good at all. Ironic, as in the same match last season against Leeds, he was excellent and that was the game where we conceded after he went off injured late on.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clearly too early to predict or read into anything, but I’m fearing there are similarities between now and the 2011/12 season:

• The fairly unanimous belief the newly promoted teams will be rubbish
  • Dropping the captain, a player who is significantly linked to our fighting spirit
  • New centre back coming in from a relegated team

I'm so paranoid, I sometimes wonder if there are similarities between now and 1981! We were "On our way back" then, too. Ground redevelopments, best season for years. No reinvestment in the team though. At this level, if you stand still, you fall behind. And we have stood still for 2 years now.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm so paranoid, I sometimes wonder if there are similarities between now and 1981! We were "On our way back" then, too. Ground redevelopments, best season for years. No reinvestment in the team though.

Haha, I know how you feel.

Overall, I’m happy that we’re entering our fifth successive PL season, but I’ve watched Wolves long enough to be very very cautious.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to various leeds comments - we totally dominated the second half until the subs. The leeds bench was also full of u20 players except for one (not verified this).

Lage needs to use his bench, end of. I understand it's not perfect to say the least but his inability to change games when obvious we need to is going to get him fired.

The difference is the quality of Leeds youngsters. They are better than ours. Gelhardt a prime example. Way better than anything we had on the bench yesterday in a game changing sense.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Leeds' bench yesterday and their ages

Summerville* - 20
Klaesson - 21
Gyabi - 18
Gelhardt* - 20
Hjelde - 18
Drameh - 20
Greenwood* - 20
Klich* - 32
Gray - 16

*came on as sub

There wasn't really what you'd call a genuine option for Lage on the bench yesterday (still could have made more than one sub though), but I'd think in a month's time with a couple of players back from injury and a couple of solid additions that our bench will look pretty decent again, he has to show an ability to use it - which is something he hasn't done in his time here so far and as you say, will cost him his job

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Besides the goal, Podence was **** poor yet again. Simple passes not finding his team mates, so infuriating to watch.

Lage not having any attacking options from the bench needs addressing immediately.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds' bench yesterday and their ages

Summerville* - 20
Klaesson - 21
Gyabi - 18
Gelhardt* - 20
Hjelde - 18
Drameh - 20
Greenwood* - 20
Klich* - 32
Gray - 16

*came on as sub

There wasn't really what you'd call a genuine option for Lage on the bench yesterday (still could have made more than one sub though), but I'd think in a month's time with a couple of players back from injury and a couple of solid additions that our bench will look pretty decent again, he has to show an ability to use it - which is something he hasn't done in his time here so far and as you say, will cost him his job
Leeds also had many 1st teamers out yesterday hence their youthful bench. For me we got nothing yesterday because we lacked a striker. We were completely on top from 45 through to 70 minutes, the ball hardly leaving their half. We just did not have that clinical finisher; had we such a player I think we would have won by possibly 2 goals.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leeds also had many 1st teamers out yesterday hence their youthful bench. For me we got nothing yesterday because we lacked a striker. We were completely on top from 45 through to 70 minutes, the ball hardly leaving their half. We just did not have that clinical finisher; had we such a player I think we would have won by possibly 2 goals.
We've got one, he's in Belgium though ;)

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa needs to concentrate more. He was full on Grobbelaar yesterday and his decision making lurched from the sublime to the ridiculous. Could easily have given a pen away and another bomb scare dribble along the goal line.
Jonny and Ait Nouri were really poor positionally. Both were repeatedly caught the wrong side. Ait Nouri also tried to be clever dribbling out and got caught for the first goal. Jonny done for the second in similar fashion. That’s were Sa needs to step up in the absence of Coady and Marshall that back line . Collins too.
Dendonker did what he is paid to do however he should have either scored the header or the one on one . Meslier did well but Donk must finish better if he is being encouraged to get forward. Neves was average. Out muscled in midfield and spent a lot of time on the deck . Some justified some looked a little theatric. Gibbs White was poor. Did not effect the game anywhere near enough to justify the hype. He needs to step up if he wants a starting birth. The ability is there.
So to the positives. Neto Podence we’re both lively and Hwang looked sharper through the middle. Kilman and Collins were largely fine but the team collectively gave the ball away too much in dangerous areas.
The bench does not need mentioning again.

At least Fosun can’t bury their heads after that

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed but not surprised that we lost as I was expecting it.

I can’t remember the last time we won on opening day.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've got one, he's in Belgium though ;)

At the moment, clinical against bottom of the Championship level opposition. It will improve with time, but it's wishful thinking to think Fabio is anywhere near good enough for the Premier League at the moment. He'd have come on, ran around a lot yet been bossed by PremierLeague defenders, just as he was a few months ago.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa needs to concentrate more. He was full on Grobbelaar yesterday and his decision making lurched from the sublime to the ridiculous. Could easily have given a pen away and another bomb scare dribble along the goal line.

Yesterday, Sa looked exactly like the keeper many thought we'd bought in the first place. Brilliant at times, but "full on Grobbelaar" at others! Does the hard stuff, then messes up the basics. I think that was a penalty too, I'm amazed VAR didn't give it.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched some highlights of the game. I didn’t think it was as bad at the time but our defence was all over the place almost all game. Luckily it was only Leeds as anybody mid table and above would have punished us massively.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny and Ait Nouri were really poor positionally. Both were repeatedly caught the wrong side. Ait Nouri also tried to be clever dribbling out and got caught for the first goal. Jonny done for the second in similar fashion. That’s were Sa needs to step up in the absence of Coady and Marshall that back line . Collins too.
Dendonker did what he is paid to do however he should have either scored the header or the one on one . Meslier did well but Donk must finish better if he is being encouraged to get forward. Neves was average. Out muscled in midfield and spent a lot of time on the deck . Some justified some looked a little theatric. Gibbs White was poor. Did not effect the game anywhere near enough to justify the hype. He needs to step up if he wants a starting birth. The ability is there.
So to the positives. Neto Podence we’re both lively and Hwang looked sharper through the middle. Kilman and Collins were largely fine but the team collectively gave the ball away too much in dangerous areas.
The bench does not need mentioning again.

At least Fosun can’t bury their heads after that
Agree on Sa. That was a nailed on penalty yesterday, if it was at the other end we would have been absolutely fuming. You can’t just clatter into players that heavily and not get anywhere near the ball.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The 4 2 3 1 formation when played by us exposes our defensive frailties out wide. RAN, good wingback though he is, is a fullback withe defensive weaknesses that are more exposed in a 2CB system than a 3, and Jonny - as we saw at the end of last season - is not (yet?) as mobile as he was before his injuries.

This puts a lot of stress on the two defensive midfielders, who are left exposed by the fact that our 3 behind the central striker are, to put it bluntly, **** at defending.

We need another central midfielder to move to 4 3 3, one who can both offer defensive support and link with the front 3.

Neves, Mouts, Donk, Ronan plus one more, please.
This 100%.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointed but not surprised that we lost as I was expecting it.

I can’t remember the last time we won on opening day.

In the Premier League, wasn't it the season we got relegated under Mick? August is always the silly season in football. There's always a few results that look insane when you look back at the season end.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he has to show an ability to use it - which is something he hasn't done in his time here so far
Have to agree - the Head Coach who can make his substitutions at the appropriate time is going to do well in this modern game.

Admittedly Lage had little choice yesterday - but he could have made changes, for example by bringing on (say) Ronan to bolster the midfield and provide fresh legs to an obviously tiring team.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Don’t think we can be too harsh on the team from yesterday. The only reason (in my opinion) we lost was we didn’t capitalise on our dominant spells. None of the players on the pitch have great goal records for us so it’s not like we underperformed in that sense. You just sorta felt as soon as we didn’t score in that second half that Leeds would get one chance and score. In the end we scored it for them.

I thought for big spells we looked good, far more positive, looking forward, playing higher up the pitch. Of course we were a bit wobbly at the back, players getting used to a new system, a few times the players tried to do something we did with the back 3 but it didn’t come off because the extra defender wasn’t there. I’m sure Bruno will be drilling the players as time goes on to weed out the mistakes.

Disappointing result, but reasons to be positive. Keep the faith!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ait nouri has all the talent in the world but looks like he’s on a different planet at times.

Was his fault.basics of football is track your man, and take responsibility.he was out of position and that’s why he put it in his own net.

I thought it was Kilman that lost his man..

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched some highlights of the game. I didn’t think it was as bad at the time but our defence was all over the place almost all game. Luckily it was only Leeds as anybody mid table and above would have punished us massively.
They only have to punish us once, or occasionally twice, and the result is still the same :(

Reactions: Ned

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few comments, mainly from Wolves fans on Facebook that the defence was poor an disorganised yesterday because Coady didn't play yesterday.
I'm sorry but we haven't won a game in ages. Something had to change and quite frankly it looked poor and disorganised with Coady in it as well quite a few times last season.
And while defence should've done better with goals, I think there were some promise.
Challenge obviously was poor decision making and lack of options when playing it out. But that can be worked on.
Also, having a weak midfield in front of them as well as 2 wingbacks that has to go forward a lot, will put more pressure on the 2 central defenders.

Bringing Coady back in and go to a back 5, would obviously help a little bit, but it would also as we've seen numerous times in the past, kill our attacking intent.

Speaking of which. Our XG was 1,84 yesterday. That's not high, but it's way higher than most games last year. It implies that goals will come if we're more clinical.

For comparison, Leeds had an XG of 0,80...

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few comments, mainly from Wolves fans on Facebook that the defence was poor an disorganised yesterday because Coady didn't play yesterday.
I'm sorry but we haven't won a game in ages. Something had to change and quite frankly it looked poor and disorganised with Coady in it as well quite a few times last season.
And while defence should've done better with goals, I think there were some promise.
Challenge obviously was poor decision making and lack of options when playing it out. But that can be worked on.
Also, having a weak midfield in front of them as well as 2 wingbacks that has to go forward a lot, will put more pressure on the 2 central defenders.

Bringing Coady back in and go to a back 5, would obviously help a little bit, but it would also as we've seen numerous times in the past, kill our attacking intent.

Speaking of which. Our XG was 1,84 yesterday. That's not high, but it's way higher than most games last year. It implies that goals will come if we're more clinical.

For comparison, Leeds had an XG of 0,80...
The Facebook idiots were probably the same ones insisting he needed to be dropped. One of the many reasons you will never see me handing my personal data out to Zuckerberg

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly, you're in the minority. We have nothing at all, Leeds swatted us aside with ease in the end and tbf the apathy can be easily felt in the away end, one of the most tame and frankly, finished, I've been in years. It stinks of death.
I don't know why you bother engaging with the arrogant ****. He makes defending the indefensible an art form.

Back
Top Bottom