Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Least exciting transfer

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
i have already seen this name mentioned,but every time there is a thread on the worst player ever or now the least exciting transfer,in my eyes this player walks it.The one and only steve claridge,who never troubled the scorers and as i said at the time as a footballer he would make a good welder

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After winning the 1980 League Cup the names of world class players like Michel Platini, Rene Van Der Kerkhoff and Johnny Repp were seriously linked to Wolves. In the summer of 1980 no one came in of note and then in 1981 having had those quality attacking names mentioned we went out and signed .............................. Alan Birch.

When promoted in 1982/83 the links were to Paul Bracewell, Gary Lineker, David Seaman, Mick McCarthy and other good standard top league players, so imagine how unthrilled I was when the first signing was a run of the mill 2nd Tier winger called Tony Towner. o_Oo_Oo_ODuring that season of utter dismay, Wolves loaned a player from Man Utd, Scott McGarvey. United eventually sold him to Portsmouth after he went back and within 3 months the Pompey were calling him " Scott McGARBAGE " :D:D:D

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I remember Joe Mason feeling a really glum signing. Not his fault, he was a fairly decent Championship player. But having just let Afobe go to Bournemouth it was a real sickener having the momentum from the previous 18 months effectively gone.

Heard he loved frequenting Bridgnorth pubs a little too much.

I'll go for one I'd forgotten about until the other day, Kevin Kyle.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many names on here weren’t bad players on paper when we signed them but went on to have a shocker in a Wolves shirt.

For me it has to be Robbie Slater and Steve Claridge. Two average journeyman players coming in to take the place of my Hero and the most exciting player to pull on a Wolves shirt in a generation for our FA Cup semi-final. Absolutely criminal!

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We ultimately didn't sign him in the end. But having Mark Fotheringham on trial just before McCarthy's sacking was grim.
Winner

I remember Mol mix going into meltdown after that.

I was exiled in Russia and I'd just stayed up til stupid o clock watching us lose to Birmingham reserves in the cup. I thought we would stay up all season until the Fotheringhay stuff. Then I realised we just weren't going to find the O'Hara type signing from the previous year

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Winner

I remember Mol mix going into meltdown after that.

I was exiled in Russia and I'd just stayed up til stupid o clock watching us lose to Birmingham reserves in the cup. I thought we would stay up all season until the Fotheringhay stuff. Then I realised we just weren't going to find the O'Hara type signing from the previous year

Pretty sure he scored in a trial game for us as well. And after hearing that I thought oh ffs we'll definitely sign him now then.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i have already seen this name mentioned,but every time there is a thread on the worst player ever or now the least exciting transfer,in my eyes this player walks it.The one and only steve claridge,who never troubled the scorers and as i said at the time as a footballer he would make a good welder
Claridge scored for everyone but us though....

Back
Top Bottom