Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Least exciting transfer

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who was the signing that you knew from the start was not going to move the dial ?

I'll nominate Greg Halford from the MM era.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posted this in the summer transfer thread a few months ago so I’ll go with this one:

Whatever happens this summer, I’ll always have the 2010 transfer window in memory to keep me grounded. I was away in Devon and hadn’t followed the final day of the window. The following morning my dad told me he’d heard we’d signed a striker, Bent on loan.

I was stunned, there was no way Wolves had managed to pull off the signing of Darren Bent who’d scored 24 times for Sunderland the previous season in the premier league.

It took me about 10 minutes with poor phone signal to eventually load the E&S to find out that I was right, we hadn’t managed to sign Darren Bent at all. The dismay when I saw this headline slowly load in front of me will forever help keep me grounded when I’m disappointed we’ve only spent £20m on a forward instead of the £70m one we were spuriously linked to:

Wolves swoop to sign Marcus Bent
A striker who had been frozen out of Blues because he was worse than Cameron Jerome, cheers Jez, that’ll boost our apparent aspirations of top 5 in the PL.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isaac Okoronkwo.
Yep I would go with that. Pretty sure that was the signing in which a day before Midlands today sport said live on air Wolves are expected to make there "first Premier League signing tomorrow" and that there was a big rumour it was Denis Bergkamp. The presenter seemed genuinely convinced himself. Iis was on the back of the Bergkamp rumours too which as funny as it sounds now, did seem at the time a case of there's no smoke without fire. I convinced myself it was a possibility as previous summers were we was always linked with a top premier league player. Collymore, Merson, Irwin, Ince. We had signed two of those and the other two at least went in for.

All morning the following day I was distracted on big jobs. Eventually when someone got a paper they told me we had signed a lad called Okoronkwo. We should have known then the high bubble we was on after Cardiff would soon be popped.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isaac Okoronkwo.
No way! He was a beast on Football Manager so people were quite chuffed to sign him. Plus, when Dave Jones did eventually play him, he was a Rolls Royce compared to the other defenders on show.
The only mystery is why DJ didn’t take to him.
Of all the crappy uninspiring signings Wolves have made, Isaac is not even close. What about Jelle Van Damme, Oleg Luszny, Darren (Hoddles love child) Anderton?

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm normally least excited about us signing goalkeepers.

Saying that, Patricio was exciting at the time (another Portuguese star) and Sa turned out to be fantastic...

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anderton - Not a fan of signing overpaid has beens who are well on the decline.
Colin Taylor and Steve Claridge were along the same lines - decent players on paper, but you just knew that they were quick fixes. It's not about the fact that they did f all, it's just that sinking feeling when we signed them.
If you're going to buy old, I reckon that you have to buy top quality, like Ince, Irwin or Moutinho.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mixed up Pantyliner
Grant Holt

I'd genuinely forgot we'd signed Holt, thanks! :expressionless:

We really have made some horrendous signings over the years haven't we. At least Fosun-era incomings are night and day different, even if it's in a bit of a lull nowadays.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some good shouts here. I am going with Gorkss atm....

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah...but with him I had some hope.
we had waited all summer after the euphoria of the Cardiff promotion for the first of many new faces to arrive now we were in the Premier League. At last i thought, was it Denis Bergkamp or Stan Collymore? No, this signing of a complete nobody broke my heart as it was the realisation that we werent going to buy quality players, and relegation would be a certainty. And it was.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we had waited all summer after the euphoria of the Cardiff promotion for the first of many new faces to arrive now we were in the Premier League. At last i thought, was it Denis Bergkamp or Stan Collymore? No, this signing of a complete nobody broke my heart as it was the realisation that we werent going to buy quality players, and relegation would be a certainty. And it was.
I did at least hope with Okoronkwo that he may at help us sign the other Wombles. ......

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep I would go with that. Pretty sure that was the signing in which a day before Midlands today sport said live on air Wolves are expected to make there "first Premier League signing tomorrow" and that there was a big rumour it was Denis Bergkamp. The presenter seemed genuinely convinced himself. Iis was on the back of the Bergkamp rumours too which as funny as it sounds now, did seem at the time a case of there's no smoke without fire. I convinced myself it was a possibility as previous summers were we was always linked with a top premier league player. Collymore, Merson, Irwin, Ince. We had signed two of those and the other two at least went in for.

All morning the following day I was distracted on big jobs. Eventually when someone got a paper they told me we had signed a lad called Okoronkwo. We should have known then the high bubble we was on after Cardiff would soon be popped.
God what a comedown that. Luzhny comes to mind for some reason after seeing him down here..... ugh.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, Miller, Lescott and Murray injured and crap signings. Us struggling was completely unsurprising.

Hell of a tough season to go up as well that was.

Arsenal's invincibles. Chelsea's first year in the Abramhovic era.

Weren't Man City and Everton the sides just above the drop? We didn't stand a chance.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leon Clarke. Just knew he wasn't going to produce the goods second time round ( not that he did first time round)
Tried to be a smart **** in front of the South Bank....... Poor life choice.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adam le Fondre comes to mind.

But pretty much anyone the season we finally made it to the PL in 2003. That was a disastrous window. In Carl Cort’s defence he was half decent, just hampered by injury then Hoddle’s tactics.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Memory isn't my strong point, but I seem to remember having deluded myself of a big signing coming on one deadline day.....and all we mustered was Jamie Tank

Back
Top Bottom