Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leander Dendoncker's Time for Club & Country.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Leander Dendonker was MOTM for his performance for Belgium last night against the Ivory Coast.

As he hasn't always been a regular for Wolves in his time so far. Is this his time to cement his place in our Wolves team and make the midfield stronger?
Be Interesting to see his performance against England on Sunday. That's if Roberto Martinez (Belguim Manager) choices to play him?

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People say he's not a regular and maybe not a regular starter but its not exactly like he's a bit player.

Sure he featured in the majority of games last season in some way.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm with you Jay Jay
We've played 4 won 2 lost 2. Donk played in both wins. Perhaps not so black and white but certainly a contributing factor.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes invaluable when we play 352, not so effective in a 343 (but then none of our midfielders have been in that formation for a while).

I like Dendoncker, always feel happier when we go 352 and hes in.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As he hasn't always been a regular for Wolves in his time so far.
Hasn't he literally played in every league game since his debut against Chelsea in December 2018?

Edit: except the debacle at West Ham!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes invaluable when we play 352, not so effective in a 343 (but then none of our midfielders have been in that formation for a while).

I like Dendoncker, always feel happier when we go 352 and hes in.

I think Moutinho dip will see Dendoncker become first choice alongside Neves in the 343 with Semedo / Ait Nouri (once bedded in) our first choice wingbacks.

36_Degrees

Groupie
Reaction score
People say he's not a regular and maybe not a regular starter but its not exactly like he's a bit player.

Sure he featured in the majority of games last season in some way.
I'm pretty sure a stat came up recently that he was equal first in number of games played last season, along with a couple more of our players (Coady and ???). I remember being really surprised to see his name up there

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems this weird belief that Dendoncker is just a back up option or something but yet he played 4065 minutes last season, compared to Neves who played 4250 minutes and Moutinho who played 4600 minutes. Dendoncker is seen as a vital part of this squad, make no mistake.

R

reanswolf

I do like Donk but must admit also have reservations. Perhaps I am being unfair.
To me he is like a 'jack of all trades master of none' type player.
I wouldn't want to get rid, he constitutes the only source of height and power in CM, and he has been used liberally by Nuno.
Just feel that he is a little cumbersome and we need more bite in CM to progress.
I still feel that way, but perhaps I am being greedy and want us to stay around the top 6.

blakenhall wolf

Reaction score
Underrated he is.

Only 25 and still progressing. His best is yet to come.

Speaking about progress (and going off topic), am I the only one who thinks Neves has stagnated maybe even slightly regressed his game? Not sure if it's him or the role he's given.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Underrated he is.

Only 25 and still progressing. His best is yet to come.

Speaking about progress (and going off topic), am I the only one who thinks Neves has stagnated maybe even slightly regressed his game? Not sure if it's him or the role he's given.
I think Neves has changed his game over the seasons with us,he is now much more a holding defensive CM,more than an attacking one which he was in the Championship and most of first season in Prem
Going back to Donk,he surely has to start ahead of Mouts now,we look so more solid when he plays,why he never came on against WHam i really dont know
He will play well with Semedo with his late runs and Semedos trade mark cut backs,i will say he will score more goals than Doc did last season right now
He is not the most graceful runner,and i think thats what makes him seem less attractive to the knockers on here,but he covers more ground than anyone in the team,with the possible exception of Neto more recently
Every team needs a Donk,a spoiler in midfield,good in the air,and a danger in the box,if only our other players would spot his late runs more often,but i think that will change with Semedo there now

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Donk is a great player Imo. As some have said he is underrated and I think that’s because of the unglamorous positions he has been playing in.

When has he ever let us down?

He has scored important goals for us, played well in different positions and goes about wherever he plays with the minimum of fuss.

He is obviously a popular member of our squad and deserves nothing but praise.

I must admit I think he has a great name for a footballer as well!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Neves has changed his game over the seasons with us,he is now much more a holding defensive CM,more than an attacking one which he was in the Championship and most of first season in Prem
Going back to Donk,he surely has to start ahead of Mouts now,we look so more solid when he plays,why he never came on against WHam i really dont know
He will play well with Semedo with his late runs and Semedos trade mark cut backs,i will say he will score more goals than Doc did last season right now
He is not the most graceful runner,and i think thats what makes him seem less attractive to the knockers on here,but he covers more ground than anyone in the team,with the possible exception of Neto more recently
Every team needs a Donk,a spoiler in midfield,good in the air,and a danger in the box,if only our other players would spot his late runs more often,but i think that will change with Semedo there now
neves has been a defensive CM last 2seasons.top for interceptions for wolves last 2 seasons.20th in prem.league.whether this is his best position can be argued

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Leander Dendonker was MOTM for his performance for Belgium last night against the Ivory Coast.

As he hasn't always been a regular for Wolves in his time so far. Is this his time to cement his place in our Wolves team and make the midfield stronger?
Be Interesting to see his performance against England on Sunday. That's if Roberto Martinez (Belguim Manager) choices to play him?
I like the idea of Neves, Donk and Vitinha in midfield.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do like Donk but must admit also have reservations. Perhaps I am being unfair.
To me he is like a 'jack of all trades master of none' type player.
I wouldn't want to get rid, he constitutes the only source of height and power in CM, and he has been used liberally by Nuno.
Just feel that he is a little cumbersome and we need more bite in CM to progress.
I still feel that way, but perhaps I am being greedy and want us to stay around the top 6.
I get what you are saying Reans, but he makes a different option to the too similar Neves and Moutinho. He at least looks to get forward and I would like to see how a midfield 3 of him, Neves and Vitinha get on.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

For me we are best with a midfield 3 and on current form Donk has to be one of the first names on that team sheet. He is the link between midfield and the attack, when we only play a 2 in midfield we have a huge gap between them and the attackers. He makes us far more dynamic!

In his first season with us he used to make great diagonal runs towards the box and linked well with Doc to get slipped into that inside right channel, which is a very dangerous position to get into. I think playing 3 in the middle allows him to get forward more, so I hope that is what we do as I think him and Semedo could be lethal on that side.

Perhaps try Donk , Neto and Neves in the middle to give us some real energy and protect Neves giving him time pick out a pass to our faster fullbacks.

He is also a great shot from distance which he seems to have stopped all together, check out his strike in the semi final with Watford (led to the corner for Docs goal).

R

reanswolf

There is no doubt that we improved considerably when we went from a 2-man CM to a 3-man CM with Dendoncker in it.

BTW Neves had a tremendous season last season I thought.

D

Deleted member 11332

There is no doubt that we improved considerably when we went from a 2-man CM to a 3-man CM with Dendoncker in it.

He did, only behind Raul for poty for me. People expectations of him are unreasonable imo. He's not even 24 yet, still developing.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

there is also no doubt that we haven’t played well with 3 in the middle since the season before last

neves and dendoncker is without doubt our first choice pairing now .

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am amazed at how much Dendoncker has come on, particularly when you think he couldn't get a game former the first few months he was here. To me his versatility is one of his biggest strengths, he looks equally at home at the back or in midfield. Though I think his future lies in midfield.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Apologies for the source, probably need to fire up your ad-blocker, but a decent article from Alex Dicken.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
Apologies for the source, probably need to fire up your ad-blocker, but a decent article from Alex Dicken.

for me he is number one central midfielder now. So so underrated. May not be as technically great as neves or Moutinho but he is the cog in this team. Has to start every game

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
for me he is number one central midfielder now. So so underrated. May not be as technically great as neves or Moutinho but he is the cog in this team. Has to start every game
I actually think he is under rated technically, while Neves is better at picking a long diagonal and through balls Dendoncker is much better in tight spaces and under pressure playing it out.

Big season for him where I think he will push on and be an important player for us being a box to box player we need in the middle.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He certainly has a good engine if a strange running style. He often tops the stats for distance covered in a match, and is always a goal threat. Much underrated.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most underrated player we have ever had. I remember one game making the comment that if we had the Mccarthy side and him in midfield he would be getting the same level of praise as the likes of Raul and Neves do now.
The stories of us trying to replace him bother me

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The midfield certainly seems better with him there than when he is missing.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it is Donk + Neves/Moutinho for the best balance.
Going forward, in time Otasowie may be able to stand in for Donk and Vitinha for Neves/Moutinho. Our squad is looking good.

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
He certainly has a good engine if a strange running style. He often tops the stats for distance covered in a match, and is always a goal threat. Much underrated.
I think some fans unnecessarily chastise him for that

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First central midfielder on the team sheet for me these days, then whomever out of Joao and Neves that Nuno deems best suited to join him, depending on opposition.

I presume it would be Joao when playing against a team where time on the ball will be limited, as he's a quick thinker, good in tight spaces and doesn't panic [e.g. Leeds] and Ruben when we are expecting to have lots of it [e.g. Newcastle at home coming up].

Up the Donck.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After Patricio and Traore..Donk nowadays is first name on the team sheet.

Third then..

Lycaon

Reaction score
Must admit the Donk is one of my favourite players, very dependable and as said underrated in a kind of Geoff Palmer sort of way.

Back
Top Bottom