Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lambert - BBC Report

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"
think the way any manager would like to work is if you're going to fail, you make sure you fail on your own terms and you fall on your sword and that's the way I've always viewed it," he added.

"I've always thought, if a player's going to come to your club, you make sure you've seen him or you know his character. Ultimately, you have to manage him for one, two, three years, for how long his contract's going to be.

"I know for a fact that the top [managers] will never let anybody will come in without them knowing. That's vital.

Valid points, but you were a headcoach not a manager, Paul.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classy from Paul !!

Very valid points too. SAF became the most successful manager of all time being his own man! Can you imagine Ferguson allowing Thelwell and Mendes to dictate to him what players he was to sign!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Classy from Paul !!

Very valid points too. SAF became the most successful manager of all time being his own man! Can you imagine Ferguson allowing Thelwell and Mendes to dictate to him what players he was to sign!

Different times though tbf mate. When the likes of Ferguson and Shankly were in their pomp, they pretty much ran the whole football club. Its so different today. Much more emphasis on the commercial side of things, bigger scouting networks, more players to juggle on top of a whole lot of other things, i dont think a manager will ever be able to run a club like they did back then. The DOF/Head coach model just wasnt part of our game.

I dont have a problem with lamberts opinion about the manager having the final say, and i think our head coach still has the final say, but i think more trust is put in the people around him in terms of their opinions of players, similar to Taff and mick. IIRC, he didnt even watch Kightly but just took Taffs word because of the trust there. You can still be your own man and work under a different system.

Lambert cant really complain anyway, he took on the job knowing how we work, if he didnt like it he shouldnt have taken the job in the first place.

D

Deleted member 3751

Classy from Paul !!

Ferguson took over in a different era and earned the right to pick and choose what he did with the squad, but look at how Man U have done since he left, that's why you don't give absolute power to a manager/head coach anymore. They're dispensable, they might move on to what they perceive to be better or you may sack them, if you've given them Carte Blanche then you're left with their squad, by far the most expensive part of the club, for years and it takes a lot of time and/or money to recover from as we've found out ourselves over the past five years.

And his interview is about as classy as a deep fried mars bar. He got sacked for poor performance as a manager/head coach. Nothing more, nothing less

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what's happening at the club since the takeover one would be forgiven for concluding that Fosun/Mendes want a puppet coach to tailor with the Mendes' modus operandi!!

A casual glance at his cv will leave nobody in any doubt that PL was not their man. The fact that he took the job in the first place suggests to me that he wasn't put firmly in the picture at the time! With the backdrop of a conveyor belt of signings in the summer, he got to sign one in January!! (And a good one at that!)

He has been very gracious about the club since departure but that has been lost on some of you obviously, who can't see beyond the contractual obligation!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given what's happening at the club since the takeover one would be forgiven for concluding that Fosun/Mendes want a puppet coach to tailor with the Mendes' modus operandi!!

A casual glance at his cv will leave nobody in any doubt that PL was not their man. The fact that he took the job in the first place suggests to me that he wasn't put firmly in the picture at the time! With the backdrop of a conveyor belt of signings in the summer, he got to sign one in January!! (And a good one at that!)

He has been very gracious about the club since departure but that has been lost on some of you obviously, who can't see beyond the contractual obligation!

I see no indication anywhere of us wanting a puppet coach. We are using the head coach model, simple as that really. He still picks the players he wants, but if the club come up with a good option from elsewhere and the HC is happy to take it, we will.

So many of you lot on here get your knickers in a twist about Mendes. We signed 11 players permanently last season, 3 were Mendes clients. We have signed 2 this season, one is a client of Mendes. We also signed another 5 players on loan last season, 2 of which were mendes clients. So in total so far, we have signed 18 since the Mendes link up, and only six are Mendes players. Doesn't exactly back up the conspiracy theories.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see no indication anywhere of us wanting a puppet coach. We are using the head coach model, simple as that really. He still picks the players he wants, but if the club come up with a good option from elsewhere and the HC is happy to take it, we will.

So many of you lot on here get your knickers in a twist about Mendes. We signed 11 players permanently last season, 3 were Mendes clients. We have signed 2 this season, one is a client of Mendes. We also signed another 5 players on loan last season, 2 of which were mendes clients. So in total so far, we have signed 18 since the Mendes link up, and only six are Mendes players. Doesn't exactly back up the conspiracy theories.

So, 18 signed, 1 was PL with 1 loan, and the rest that got us to 15th were Mendes/Thelwell

That's about it!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, 18 signed, 1 was PL with 1 loan, and the rest that got us to 15th were Mendes/Thelwell

That's about it!

Last season was a write off due to the fact that the takeover went through late meaning that Lopetegui got snapped up by Spain. If he'd have become our manager we'd have seen very different players coming in.

I'm sure some on here want us to go back to the 70s when the closest we ever got to a foreigner was signing someone who'd been on holiday to Benidorm.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"
think the way any manager would like to work is if you're going to fail, you make sure you fail on your own terms and you fall on your sword and that's the way I've always viewed it," he added.

"I've always thought, if a player's going to come to your club, you make sure you've seen him or you know his character. Ultimately, you have to manage him for one, two, three years, for how long his contract's going to be.

"I know for a fact that the top [managers] will never let anybody will come in without them knowing. That's vital.

Valid points, but you were a headcoach not a manager, Paul.

All about reestablishing his reputation, can't say he wasn't good at talking about football when he was with us, he just wasn't good at delivering it. [QUOTE Groundhog Wolf]

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do understand what he's saying, but I don't think he convinced Fosun that he should be given that degree of control over our recruitment. Had we stormed up the table in the second half I'd the season he may well have bought himself greater influence. He didn't so they've gone back to plan a.

Whilst he refers to no top manager doing x or y, he is not actually a top manager himself! Had we allowed him what he wanted it would have produced Steele, Hanley and Hugill and perhaps even a Lawrence, Hoolahan or Cameron Jerome this summer. The likes of Abraham and Mooy were surely never considered as realistic targets.

Under Lambert we'd of pushed for the top 6 perhaps, but I wouldn't have been rushing out to back us for promotion put it that way. Just as likely would be us continuing to blow hot and cold like last season and us giving him the boot in Dec.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's about it!

Well, no, because 6 were Mendes out of 18. You cant just suddenly add Thelwell into the mix after you are trying to lump blame onto Fosun and Mendes. The majority of our players we signed weren't Mendes players. I fact, only one Mendes player was really a regular in Costa. I cant understand the problem some have with Mendes with what he has done at Wolves so far.

Tbf to Fosun, they have been the only owners in probably the last 20 years to put their money where their mouth is consistently so far. I still cant see where you are coming from when you say they just want a puppet coach. I dont think they do at all. I dont think they want to run the football club in the traditional British model thats failed us for 35 years. They do no question about it seem to want to build something with a foreign type model, hence them initially looking at the current Spain coach Lopetegui ( who we would have got if the takeover was completed sooner ) and now going back to that philosiphy with Nuno.

T

TacticalWolf88

From the same cloth as managers like Steve Mclaren and Aidy Boothroyd, talks a good game but nothing practical

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last season was a write off due to the fact that the takeover went through late meaning that Lopetegui got snapped up by Spain. If he'd have become our manager we'd have seen very different players coming in.

I'm sure some on here want us to go back to the 70s when the closest we ever got to a foreigner was signing someone who'd been on holiday to Benidorm.

Rafael Villazen ;) although I think he signed in 1980

I know what you mean, there is a massive resistance to change amongst some of our fans and the local press who seem to think everything was rosy before Fosun took over and preferred things that way

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafael Villazen ;) although I think he signed in 1980

I know what you mean, there is a massive resistance to change amongst some of our fans and the local press who seem to think everything was rosy before Fosun took over and preferred things that way

Exactly this. We have had zero success since 15th March, 1980. We are now in June 2017.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Some pretty fair and logical comments from Lambo. Not sure on how much say Zenga had with the players put together for him though!

If I were a head coach/manager I too would want to consider players that fit to your plan. There are many things to consider when building a team and the working characteristics of the individual components that go towards making the whole come together are important. 'Mash-ups' is just poor planning.

Mr Wagner did an excellent job in 'putting it together' to a plan.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The point being made Wolf316 as I try to understand it, suggests that even if Lopetegui had been appointed as 'coach' under the new DOF system in operation now, the same players would probably have been signed. The choice of who plays is no longer the exclusive prerogative of the coach!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point being made Wolf316 as I try to understand it, suggests that even if Lopetegui had been appointed as 'coach' under the new DOF system in operation now, the same players would probably have been signed. The choice of who plays is no longer the exclusive prerogative of the coach!

Lopetegui was quoted as saying he'd been working with Wolves for a while which leads me to believe targets were in place. When the deal fell through we had to start again which is why there was a haphazard view to players coming in.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure only Cav & Costa are Gestifute/Mendes players.

The likes of Tex, Silvio, Saiss, etc Mendes had a hand in helping them happen but he's not their agent. He used to be Silvios though I think.

Same this season. The only Gestifute/Mendes client we actually signed so far is Nuno.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It is the choice of the coach.

So he got a helping hand from mendes to get Costa and cav ? So what? Would you really be more content with George Saville on the wing which lambert would have chosen ???

Miranda is nunos man
Bennett is Thelwells man

It's a football club, not just one man .

Nuno can pick whatever 11 he wants and pick signings whenever he wants - he just gets useful support from mendes and thelwell.

I hope mendes has a lot more involvement with suggesting signings to be honest as I prefer watch players like Costa than James Henry.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was quoted as saying he'd been working with Wolves for a while which leads me to believe targets were in place. When the deal fell through we had to start again which is why there was a haphazard view to players coming in.

Thats exactly how it would have been. We would have seen a totally different group of footballers signed, no question.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure only Cav & Costa are Gestifute/Mendes players.

The likes of Tex, Silvio, Saiss, etc Mendes had a hand in helping them happen but he's not their agent. He used to be Silvios though I think.

Same this season. The only Gestifute/Mendes client we actually signed so far is Nuno.

Not 100% sure, but i was under the impression Cav, Costa, Silvio, Tex and John were the Mendes clients. Sure i read Miranda is as well, but i probably read that in the E&S so it could be wrong. If i'm wrong, thats even less Mendes players signed up pouring more water on the Mendes conspiracy theories.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa, Pele and Cavaleiro were lined up for Lopetegui, it is not hard to remember.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ui-quer-levar-helder-costa-e.html&prev=search

Zenga just did what he was told. Butti who knew Mendes from Monaco brought in Saiss and Oniangue. Butti was here before Zenga in reality ( check the pics from the Northampton friendly ) and was going to be in place with Lopetegui, had he signed.

Nuno will also do what he is told too, though hopefully Mendes will supply his first client with some of his best up and coming players.

Mendes has a huge influence at Molineux, it is not helpful denying it. Some think it will work, others dont. At least it should provide some interest.

E

Essex Wolf

Lambert talked much, offered little and achieved less. He was a failure overall and I don't care what he now does, where he ends up or what he achieves when he gets there. A chapter in Wolves long history that was short but painful and now thank God he has gone.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now I'm completely confused!!

So who chooses the players?

I think it's a combination of a few different people tbh mate. I'd say we would have still have signed some of the players from last season, but Lopetegui would probably have had a couple he wanted we didn't get. If Thelwell and Mendes work independently of each other, it's not going to end well. I still think they will all end up giving the player lists to Nuno, who will have to decide if he wants any of them. He will probably take Mendes opinion over Thelwell I would have thought as he has worked with him before and probably has that trust there.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
It will be a combination of Mendes, Thelwell and our European Scouting Network, with Nuno having some input into the 'lists' produced by all three.

One thing I will say is that none of those will have any say in team selection, hence why Mendes players (Cavaleiro, Teixiera), Thelwell signings (Stearman) and others (Prince, Gladon) were all left out on numerous occasions by different Head Coaches.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do people go to games on here.

How can anyone support lambert and the dreadful performances.

I assume you went to Newcastle, Leeds, Villa, Stoke and Liverpool.
Don't recall too much carping after those games.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When will these managers realise they are not going to be indulged with millions of pounds spent on a squad full of their players.

Its is unaffordable and risky.

Sky put an end to that

Last edited:

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well you don't, so why not just ask the question instead of supporting lambert and criticising mendes unnecessarily.

Because in whatever arrangement they now have, he only got to sign one player of his own choosing and one loan! It's v unfair in that context!

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because in whatever arrangement they now have, he only got to sign one player of his own choosing and one loan! It's v unfair in that context!

If he had coached the team better and looked like we were improving he would have been able to make signings this summer.

As it is, the football was dire and stayed up thanks to 2 mendes players.

Would you trust someone to find players and build the team around who had such a shocking season ?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like Brexit to me, nobody is quite sure about what's going on!!!

Wagstaffe do you think PL was good enough from want you saw ?

Or do you think he wasn't good enough , but needed more time for Wolves to make certain we were being fair to him ?

R

ra32

If he had coached the team better and looked like we were improving he would have been able to make signings this summer.

As it is, the football was dire and stayed up thanks to 2 mendes players.

Would you trust someone to find players and build the team around who had such a shocking season ?
This, this & this. Cannot believe ppl are not embracing what an opportunity we have as a club. It seems some of our fans would settle for mediocrity, the same mediocrity that most Wolves fans including myself moan about week in week out! Lambert had a six month audition/ trial and failed miserably. The good away wins in the cup seem to have blinded some fans.

Back
Top Bottom