Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage on “How we score goals”

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said at the start of the season the team lacked goals and the answer wasn't in the current squad and that is still the case.

You don't suddenly become a natural goal scorer we will need to sign a couple of players with proven records to address this problem.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he needs Neto and Raul back and on form.
Neto may never be the player he was and probably won't be seen this season and Raul is already a shadow of the great player he once was and I imagine that's the best we can expect.
So it's up to Poundshop Jeff and and with his track record of promising players who never appear we shouldn't expect too much.

Last edited:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto may never be the player he was and probably won't be seen this season and Raul is already a shadow of the great player he once was and I imagine that's the best we can expect.
So it's up to Poundshop Jeff and and with his track record of promising players who never appear we shouldn't expect too much.
Poundshop Jeff and his 35m teenager?

As for the rest. I agree that likely we won’t see Neto back to his old self this season. He will play soon I think but it’s a serious injury to return from and be able to leave it all on the pitch again. He’s also too valuable to risk pushing him back too quickly.

As for Raul, I also worry that we won’t see again the fantastic all round forward we used to have. He’s still an effective forward player who can hold up the ball and link well with others, but his instinct in front of goal is a shadow of its former self. Whether that returns or not, I just don’t know, but I’m not expecting to see it back this season.

My original comment was simply that either or both of these players could, when fit and on form, turn our attacking play into regular goals and a strong push on Europe.

Last edited:

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Uncle Jorge owes us a favour…. pull out all the stops to get Ronaldo at the end of the year

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its quite funny we cant score goals then you look at somebody like Willan Jose who had a good record in Spain yet had no impact here. Even this year he is scoring at a rate of a goal every 3 games, and has a direct goal involvement 10 of his 19 games in La Liga. Mir has scored plenty over there. Adama managed an assist in his first game! That shows to me either La Liga is just a very poor standard and even very mediocre attackers can make an impact, or there is something seriously wrong with our attacking setup over the last 2 years.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Uncle Jorge owes us a favour…. pull out all the stops to get Ronaldo at the end of the year
Bruno actually says he would like Ronaldo in the interview. Slightly tongue in cheek… but he raised it.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen all those heat maps , it quite clear how to score goals .
Control the area in front of the opposition's penalty area. And we dont, get anywhere near that.
I think we need to try a back four.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Having seen all those heat maps , it quite clear how to score goals .
Control the area in front of the opposition's penalty area. And we dont, get anywhere near that.
I think we need to try a back four.
Ball movement around the box at speed as well. Our ball movement around the box is shockingly bad. Only Podence plays little pop passes and plays in between the lines.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's easy to do that, the hard part is breaking through when teams form a narrow low block.

Brentford and Norwich cup games are good examples, happy to retreat into the box knowing that we won't penetrate centrally, and happy to cede wing control to us because our delivery is cack.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its quite funny we cant score goals then you look at somebody like Willan Jose who had a good record in Spain yet had no impact here. Even this year he is scoring at a rate of a goal every 3 games, and has a direct goal involvement 10 of his 19 games in La Liga. Mir has scored plenty over there. Adama managed an assist in his first game! That shows to me either La Liga is just a very poor standard and even very mediocre attackers can make an impact, or there is something seriously wrong with our attacking setup over the last 2 years.
Your last sentence is right on the nose.

Last year and this year we make few goal scoring chances and convert even less.

Last time I looked, 10 clubs below us had more goals. It’s middle of Feb. and this aspect of our game hasn’t changed much. There should have been an improvement by Nov. at least.

And worse, imo, is that our goals aren’t great goals…..often they’re sloppy or a bit scrambly or a deflection.

Currently and sadly, Wolves are not a threat. And it’s not due to transfers…..if we’d signed de Bruyne last summer, we’d still have not see much improvement as it’s Lage who plans our tactics.

Well I’m going to put my head on the block here and say that while everybody is saying Lage is doing a brilliant job, I don’t agree.
He‘s a good job and he has us 8th. for now. But there’s a herd of elephants in the room at Compton and I bet everyone knows it.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was interesting how Jota took off once he has joined Liverpool. Scoring for fun. Then Jürgen Klopp made that statement that Wolves ask their attackers to defend too much..
Considering that we have a pretty safe position in the league and we may not be going to Europe. There must be a time when Bruno should just let the handbrake off, and see what we can do.
I would like to see us go back to that Bruno ball that we saw in his early matches and **** the results.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was interesting how Jota took off once he has joined Liverpool. Scoring for fun. Then Jürgen Klopp made that statement that Wolves ask their attackers to defend too much..
Considering that we have a pretty safe position in the league and we may not be going to Europe. There must be a time when Bruno should just let the handbrake off, and see what we can do.
I would like to see us go back to that Bruno ball that we saw in his early matches and **** the results.

He has let the handbrake off several times. We lose every time! Maybe if we fall out of contention for a Europe place, he may try it again. But as we still don't look like scoring *within* matches when we've pushed forward (e.g .last 30 minutes v Arsenal, second half v Norwich), I still wouldn't expect any significant increase in goals, not enough to counter the extra we would concede.

It's never totally one thing, there are lots of factors. Yes, our forwards did have to take defensive duties seriously. However, this has relaxed visibly under Bruno. We often have one or two stay well forward when defending, which never happened under Nuno. For me, the biggest single factor is a lack of genuine goal scorers and until that is fixed, we will always score lower than expected average for our position. We have one genuine goal scorer, and he is at 80%, and still not sure whether he will ever get back to 100%.

We are looking for somebody with no previous record of scoring at this level, to raise their game to a new level. Podence, Trincao and Fabio show not one sign of being able to do that. Hwang or Neto ... maybe?

Other factors would be the wing backs aren't as effective going forward as the previous ones when we finished 7th (though we were never prolific goal scorers, even then). Attacking set pieces, though still a major percentage of our goals, we don't seem to be scoring as many from them...specifically Neves has forgotten how to score from a direct free kick (unless Matt Targett helps him out :)). No 3 or 4 goals from corners from Boly ... And then there's a feeling we move the ball too slowly in the final 3rd, or give it away with bad passing at the crucial moment, or try some outrageous flick, or are in the wrong position.

Probably more factors, too, it all adds up.

Reactions: Ian

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
I think we try to walk it in too much and it seems no one wants to gamble on anything in the box. Being a bit more speculative, getting shots in first time, gambling on rebounds and crosses would probably get us a few more goals. One last thing better connection with the ball, we seem to never catch a shot they always seem a bit miss-hit or scuffed.

Back
Top Bottom