Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lage and goal prediction

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long has Bruno insisted the goals will come, nothing suggests we can score, there isn't any noticeable coordinated movement between our players when we get to the opponents penalty area plus the forward players don't have the instincts to be regular chance takers. Less wingers more strikers are needed in the squad, will we have one this window.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's standard procedure for a manager delivering underwhelming results to claim that we are close to it all clicking and winning games. Hoddle did it for his entire reign and Lage has started both seasons with this approach.

He has however been given a dud hand with the club's refusal to ever buy a striker who has a good goal record.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's standard procedure for a manager delivering underwhelming results to claim that we are close to it all clicking and winning games. Hoddle did it for his entire reign and Lage has started both seasons with this approach.

He has however been given a dud hand with the club's refusal to ever buy a striker who has a good goal record.
Being...unlucky...only saves a manager for so long...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok…..two games in.
I have seen more attacking and creative moves in those two games compared to last season. ( not saying it’s great but its a big improvement……the lads are hungrier for goals).

Lots of attempts at give-n-go, through balls etc,. However, even if we had a good striker, our crosses are still too high or short and our hard on the ground balls from the by line seldom reach one of our guys.
Last week Neto was a bit selfish in the box…….look up, and see where you can pass the ball .

Sometimes I think we’re trying too hard to be clever. Just do the simple thing but do it quickly

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok…..two games in.
I have seen more attacking and creative moves in those two games compared to last season. ( not saying it’s great but its a big improvement……the lads are hungrier for goals).

Lots of attempts at give-n-go, through balls etc,. However, even if we had a good striker, our crosses are still too high or short and our hard on the ground balls from the by line seldom reach one of our guys.
Last week Neto was a bit selfish in the box…….look up, and see where you can pass the ball .

Sometimes I think we’re trying too hard to be clever. Just do the simple thing but do it quickly
We saw the same first 3 or 4 games last season before Bruno reverted back to a system they were more comfortable with

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's had long enough imo. The style of play isnt improving and we arent even effective playing a counter attacking style like we were under Nuno for the first couple of seasons in the Premier league. He hasnt been helped by the transfers, but i'm very concerned about how we look as a team.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi will not get rid of Lage unless we go on a losing streak and sitting in the bottom three. Let's see how he sets us up for Spurs, then we will see if he is tactically aware...

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to have bodies in the box to score goals. We don't, so we don't score. That will be true whatever players we have. It's the mind set of the coach that needs changing.
We did consciously attempt to get more players into the box i thought, running from deep. MGW busted a nut to get on the end of the one he skied over the bar...but it was noticeable that Hwang disappeared more and more from a striker role, he's not a target man by any means and not considered dangerous enough to pull defenders out of position.
I did notice a first half corner where we had 1 player in the box though, and a load hanging back outside to run in....wasn't sure if that was just being overly cautious because of the heat

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep

Mgw missed an open goal as did Neto

And we dont have a striker

But no it’s Bruno’s fault
Not enough bodies in attacking positions throughout the game, but the main thing is ice-cold composure at the moment when you pull the trigger. Can a coach teach that? We certainly lack it, and have for years.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny and RAN don’t look comfortable in the new system yet, it’s like they’ve forgotten they’re in a 4 now, and I have serious doubts about Lage’s ability to turn this around. What are they doing all week in training?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep

Mgw missed an open goal as did Neto

And we dont have a striker

But no it’s Bruno’s fault

He cant help them missing sitters, but he isnt getting the best out of this group. On top of last years terrible last half of the season, we have failed to beat two pretty ordinary sides. So many excuses made for him and i do think he has been let down with players, but he's still cant get us playing well and on the front foot.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we played really well today. If we keep this up the goals will come.

We played well i thought for the first 10 mins, then we lost control of the game and went back to trying to counter attack.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Shi will not get rid of Lage unless we go on a losing streak and sitting in the bottom three. Let's see how he sets us up for Spurs, then we will see if he is tactically aware...
Something like one win in 11 PL games is it?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Rightly or wrongly he may not have that long. If he doesn't pick up a result in the next four matches I'd be surprised if he survives
I don’t think they’re getting rid of Bruno. They’ve backed him with £50m of players so far this summer with more to come apparently, and they’ve let him loan out the captain and most popular guy at the club.

If they’d have changed manager in the summer I wouldn’t have been surprised and I kinda expected it, but it feels like they’re sticking with him.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re getting rid of Bruno. They’ve backed him with £50m of players so far this summer with more to come apparently, and they’ve let him loan out the captain and most popular guy at the club.

If they’d have changed manager in the summer I wouldn’t have been surprised and I kinda expected it, but it feels like they’re sticking with him.

We will see what happens by the time we hit the Liverpool game. Before the season started, with our run of fixtures i think we needed to have between 9 and 12 points by the time we played Liverpool as the 4 fixtures from that game are going to be very difficult to get any points from. Even the minimum points haul from my estimation would only give us 9 points from 10 games. I think both Lage and Wolves could be in a fair bit of trouble if we cant win 3 of the next 4 games.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage's fault we got no striker is it?
Arguably yes.

We have Fabio, who's developing but out on loan.

Lage either supported the loan - possibly unlikely because he's only a Head Coach and not a Manager - or he is complicit simply because of his treatment of Silva last season.

And no, I'm not claiming that Fabio is the answer (at present) to our goal drought, but he can play with his back to goal and bring other players in.

In my view Lage has to share some of the blame. Just my view.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the way the club will see it is the same as Bruno does - the changes to the squad needed to be made and whilst the players may have been rubber-stamped by Bruno, both Collins and Guedes have been Wolves'targets as much as they have been Bruno's.

If we lose the next 4 he'll be gone IMO, and anything less than 4 points from the next 6 games could still see him go.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is correct, we will score, quite unlucky not to have had 2 or 3 today.
How?

Chances;
Neto - offside.
Hwang - shot straight at keeper when through.
Neto - gifted a chance and poor control meant ball went to Podence.
Podence - sliced his shot and nearly hit the corner flag.
Neves - back to his worst when shooting.
MGW - skied his effort when facing an open net.

7 attempts - 1 on target.

This is not bad luck, but poor technique.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Bruno knows there is a forward on the way...one who actually can operate inside the box.....we need Andre Silva desperately.....games like yesterday we probably need both Silva and Raul inside the box ..

All of Andre Silva 50 goals in Germany in the last 2 season have come from inside the box ....

Back
Top Bottom