Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lack of a Plan B

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While it’s admirable that Nuno wants to stick to the same formation and style of play I do find it incredibly annoying that he refuses to change the system when chasing a game.

Against Watford it was obvious that they’d done their homework on our deep lying midfielders and countered that by playing 3 in the middle therefore dominating the game. At no point did Nuno address this with his subs, instead doing a like for like swap with Vinagre and even shoehorning Traore into Doc’s RWB position.

Same story again yersterday. All 3 subs were brought on to play in the position of the player they replaced. In Bonatini’s case (and I don’t want this thread to turn into a Bonatini slating) he was pushed onto the left of the front 3.

It’s not just the formation either. With the exception of MGW who played further forward than Neves and Moutinho (due to Spurs sitting back) all the players we have on the bench are built to play ‘the system’. One of the reasons I advocated keeping Afobe was because he offered something different by playing on the shoulder which pushed the opposition defenders back allowing more space for others to cut into.

I’d also argue that we don’t have a midfield enforcer like Alf to being on when winning games to shut the game down which always leaves us vulnerable to an equaliser. Saiss is currently the only option for this.

The Wolves way worked so well for us last year and at the start of this, but the Premier League is a step up in tactical nous as well as player quality. We really do need some better, DIFFERENT options from the bench.

W

we8wba

Although I agree, are we going to have this every game we don’t get result we want?

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess for the first part of the first season and with FFP rules, he reckoned that Moutinho was a deal too good to turn down in preference to anything else.
We'll get the points we need now, then adjust the personnel and improve a little more.
I don't think it's a bad thing really. Spurs have been building their team for 3 seasons. If we could match them within 5 months, what would the point be of looking to the future?

K

Knocker Lite

As long as players add different characteristics to those they replace using the same template to showcase those talents has to be a good thing. It enables more collective actions and fluency, rather that than off the cuff *******s as seen with previous Wolves coaches. Nuno has players with high intelligence who understand the flexibility required within the moment

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our plan B, which is implemented when we are chasing the game, seems to be that Neves stops playing in such a deep position just in front of the back 3 and starts operating further up the pitch, giving us more attacking intent.
I'd love to see plan B from the start of the game personally

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our plan B, which is implemented when we are chasing the game, seems to be that Neves stops playing in such a deep position just in front of the back 3 and starts operating further up the pitch, giving us more attacking intent.
I'd love to see plan B from the start of the game personally

Playing devils advocate, I’d argue that that’s more a circumstance of the game, i.e Spurs sitting deep and not pressing, rather than a tactical ploy

W

we8wba

It’s a forum mate, debate like this is what it’s for. It’s not a negative thread, just gauging people’s thoughts.

We know Nuno by now, it’s plan A and only plan A ala Barcelona ....

Sometimes it works, sometimes it won’t

Ultimately wether now, three seasons or ten it will probably be his downfall

But for this period it’s best football I’ve ever witness in gold shirt so long may it continue

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imo its more important to rotate than to change the system.

MGW showed yesterday what he can do ,we have four wide players to shuffle depending who we are playing and whether we are at home or away.,Dendoncker and Hause for the back ,Vinaigre at wing back.

It's just up front where we wasted our money on Bonatini and that will be a addressed in January.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We don't need a plan B we just need better variations on plan A. The flexibility is the beauty of the system. We did change quite a lot as the game went on, it's just a bit more subtle than sticking Danny at CF for the last 10 when we're behind.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing devils advocate, I’d argue that that’s more a circumstance of the game, i.e Spurs sitting deep and not pressing, rather than a tactical ploy
I agree the circumstances dictate games and Spurs will play differently at 3 nil up.

But at the outset of a game circumstances are known and that's when to impose the attacking vision of our best player

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't need a plan B we just need better variations on plan A. The flexibility is the beauty of the system. We did change quite a lot as the game went on, it's just a bit more subtle than sticking Danny at CF for the last 10 when we're behind.

Fair post, I’d agree with that. Flexibility IS the beauty of the system, but if we don’t have players who offer something different within that system then it’s limited on the variations that it had and is predictable to play against.

My main worry is that teams do a Watford and stick 3 in midfield against us. Without our central pivots we are limited to Coady’s ping out to Doc to get us forward.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t need a plan B if your plan A players are good enough.

We need some confidence from our front 3, any combination of them, and we need reinforcements in January which we failed to make in the summer.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t need a plan B if your plan A players are good enough.

We need some confidence from our front 3, any combination of them, and we need reinforcements in January which we failed to make in the summer.

Costa was unplayable in the second half, aside from the miss he was our best player. He’s such a confidence player, once he does one thing right he gets his mojo. Personally I wouldn’t have taken Cav off yesterday.

Biffana wolf

Reaction score
Why do we need a plan B? We’re dominating football matches.

The problem isn’t the plan. It’s the execution.
How do you get that to win points and games,possesion wins nothing at all goals and points is what counts lovely football and lots of passes wont win games, as was previously quoted neves and moutinho both sit too deep and only move up 10 yards when we are 2 down.Think sensibly how many times have we scored 1st half how may games have we won after going behind none.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't we 3-0 down and brought it back to 3-2 after Nuno made changes yesterday?

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weren't we 3-0 down and brought it back to 3-2 after Nuno made changes yesterday?
Agreed we was, but the only change other than personnel, was neves moved further forward, the system stayed the same.
What do you people want to see Allardyce in the background?

E

Edgmond Wolf

Agreed we was, but the only change other than personnel, was neves moved further forward, the system stayed the same.
What do you people want to see Allardyce in the background?
The system changed as MGW played in front of Neves not at his side

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When our finishing improves with plan A we won't need a plan B. awareness in defence killed us yesterday, not just lack of scoring.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No amount of planning can account for schoolboy defending - and finishing.

At least three players who have featured heavily this season will be on their bikes come the summer. That is assuming Fosun have ambitions that don't wane in the face of the replacement CL being a closed shop.

Just three years to go.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Timing was just a little odd after he made changes to the shape and personnel which affected the game

Please enlighten me as to how he changed the shape.

Bonatini came on and played on the left in Cav's position.

Traore came on and played in the right in Costa's position.

MGW came on and played further forward than Moutinho but that was expected as Spurs sat back.

There was no change in shape, nor was their against Watford.

D

Deleted member 4453

I do think he needs to alter the middle of the park a little as those 2 are being targeted. I don't blame teams as they're the big names and our so called "best players".

I wonder if bringing Morgan on yesterday was Nuno maybe testing the water with a player playing in the middle being more direct?

If we are looking at that Kessie bloke too, Nuno may already have it playing on his mind...

Whether we continue to play with 2 and have one being more direct or switch it up to have 3 would be the question? If it was a 3 what would be the best formation to deploy?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think he needs to alter the middle of the park a little as those 2 are being targeted. I don't blame teams as they're the big names and our so called "best players".

I wonder if bringing Morgan on yesterday was Nuno maybe testing the water with a player playing in the middle being more direct?

If we are looking at that Kessie bloke too, Nuno may already have it playing on his mind...

Whether we continue to play with 2 and have one being more direct or switch it up to have 3 would be the question? If it was a 3 what would be the best formation to deploy?

Finally, someone response with a decent post worthy of discussion.

It depends whether we're winning and employing 3 in midfield to shut up shop, or trying to get back into a game. In either case, I doubt he'd change the back 3/5.

Most likely same back 5 with MGW added to CM along with another striker as an outlet ball up top. I think Jiminez would do well with an 'Abofe style' foil to run off his link up play.

Patricio

Doc - Bennett - Coady - Boly - Johnny

MGW - Moutinho - Neves

Jiminez - New Striker

5-3-2 / 3-5-2

T

tin hat capitan

the point is that this discussion has been had. over and over again on numerous threads. god forbid you might dig one out and bath in the fountain of knowledge contained within.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do we need a plan B? We’re dominating football matches.

The problem isn’t the plan. It’s the execution.
The problem is whoever is playing alongside Raul (perm any 2 from Costa, Cav, Jota and Adama) are not playing at even 50% of their potential. They start firing then some team's gonna get ****ing annihilated.

Last edited:

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please enlighten me as to how he changed the shape.

Bonatini came on and played on the left in Cav's position.

Traore came on and played in the right in Costa's position.

MGW came on and played further forward than Moutinho but that was expected as Spurs sat back.

There was no change in shape, nor was their against Watford.
But Bonatini and MGW played those roles totally different to the players they replaced and so our shape was different

Back
Top Bottom