Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Klopp or Guardiola?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who's the better manager?

Just interested to find out what you lot think.

Please refrain from any anti club bias.

Last edited:

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to say. Klopp probably. Pep hasn't ever done it anywhere but at the best clubs.

That's why my vote goes to Klopp as well. Should say, I think they're by some distance the best two in the world.

I'd genuinely love to see Guardiola go to someone like Sevilla or Napoli and change the monopoly of said leagues. By suggesting that it's somehow a slant against the bloke but it's not. He's incredible at managing brilliant players, but that obviously comes with advantages.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looking at Klopps record, it is very impressive. Won two Bundesliga titles with Dortmund and a CL final as well. Not to mention what he has done at Liverpool.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looking at Klopps record, it is very impressive. Won two Bundesliga titles with Dortmund and a CL final as well. Not to mention what he has done at Liverpool.

He's the best for me. To even compete with what Man City have at their expense let alone match/better them is incredible really.

Saying that, I still think Man City win the league.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the best for me. To even compete with what Man City have at their expense let alone match/better them is incredible really.

Saying that, I still think Man City win the league.

Gonna be close but yeah I fear City will sneak it. Reckon Salah and Mane will run out of steam.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gonna be close but yeah I fear City will sneak it. Reckon Salah and Mane will run out of steam.

Wouldn't surprise me if they both won every game they have left - Other than against each other of course. Which realistically, Liverpool are probably going to have to win.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t care who’s the better manager………unless they were to manage Wolves.

I think Klopp is more analytical, can read players and more importantly, other teams better. Probably better all round.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t care who’s the better manager………unless they were to manage Wolves.

I think Klopp is more analytical, can read players and more importantly, other teams better. Probably better all round.

Yes mate, it's no essay based question. Just one of curiosity.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps remove “multiple votes allowed “ as currently Pep is winning with 60% of the total 106.7% votes!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've given it to Pep. They are both quality and its hard to split them. Pep has dealt with the pressure of big club and expectancy really well. Thats not that easy to do. Plenty of managers in his position have failed.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's why my vote goes to Klopp as well. Should say, I think they're by some distance the best two in the world.

I'd genuinely love to see Guardiola go to someone like Sevilla or Napoli and change the monopoly of said leagues. By suggesting that it's somehow a slant against the bloke but it's not. He's incredible at managing brilliant players, but that obviously comes with advantages.

It is Jurgen Klopp for me as well as Pep to all intents and purposes " failed " at Bayern Munich. Yes I know they won the Bundesliga and other domestic trophies but he failed to win the one FC Hollywood appointed him to win, the Champions League !

When it comes to the massive European nights you virtually know who Jurgen will chose team wise where as Pep for me has blown two trips to the big game with tinkering for tinkering sake. The Tottenham Semi Final at White Hart Lane when he belittled Spurs and picked the sort of side he would select if they were playing a lower league club in the League Cup comes to mind ( DeBruyne, Sterling and Aguerro on the bench if I recall correctly ) which backfired and they could not overturn the tie at The Etihad. Then Lyon was another game that Pep decided to mess about selection wise with and that bloke Marcal ( he looked a player ) rampaged down the left unopposed !!! It could be argued he selected the wrong side v Chelsea last season as well.

Also with Pep, for me there is the argument that Frank Rijkard had put in a lot of the Barcelona foundations before Pep got there where as Jurgen Klopp built Mainz 05 from a Second Level German club into an established one and then took over at Borussia Dortmund and established them as a creditable Champions League threat as well a serious challenger to Bayern's dominance ( Something that according to Herr Paul Lambert they had not been since he left ................ I am joking but Lambert would not be if he did say that :):):) )

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool work under a lower playing budget than City (and Chelsea and Man Utd) yet Liverpool are matching or bettering those teams consistently. Pep is amazing but I'd just about put Klopp above him.

I also like to think of it this way, if both took over midtable teams with limited budgets who would you think would handle it better? for me it would be Klopp by a distance.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Can l ask a question (perhaps l'm being dumb) but how can multiple votes be allowed in a two option survey?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both very good managers, but Pep for me. Both good for slightly different reasons, and deserving in their own ways.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be Klopp for me.

They are both incredible managers, but Klopp makes the teams he manages much better, whereas Pep takes already very good sides to the next level.

Dortmund had not won the title for 8 seasons before he joined and had finished between 5th and 13th for the 6 seasons previous to when he won the title. He then retained it on the way to doing the double the following season and finished as runners up in the Champions League the season after that.

Then he moved to Liverpool, was runner up in the Champions League before winning it and then going on to lead them to their first league title for 30 seasons.

In the 5 seasons prior to taking Pep taking over at Barca, they had wont he league twice, finished second twice and third the other. There is absolutely no doubt he took them to new levels, winning three league titles and two Champions League trophies.

But when Pep joined Bayern, they had just won everything. League, Cup and Champions League. He came in and did well, but his success was measured by his failure to win the Champions League with that squad of players. Yes, he won the league 3 times in a row, but at a side who had already won it the previous season and has won it ever since he left for their 9th in a row!

Again, he has taken City onto the next level since he joined them too, winning 4 of the last 5 league titles. He has undoubtedly been a success at City, but winning a Champions League has to happen for his time there to be seen as fully successful!

Pep also tends to follow the money. I expect he will one day be managing Newcastle.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be Klopp for me.

They are both incredible managers, but Klopp makes the teams he manages much better, whereas Pep takes already very good sides to the next level.

Dortmund had not won the title for 8 seasons before he joined and had finished between 5th and 13th for the 6 seasons previous to when he won the title. He then retained it on the way to doing the double he following season and finished as runners up in the Champions League the following season.

Then he moved to Liverpool, was runner up in the Champions League before winning it and then going on to lead them to their first league title for 30 seasons.

In the 5 seasons prior to taking Pep taking over at Barca, they had wont he league twice, finished second twice and third the other. There is absolutely no doubt he took them to new levels, winning three league titles and two Champions League trophies.

But when Pep joined Bayern, they had just won everything. League, Cup and Champions League. He came in and did well, but his success was measured by his failure to win the Champions League with that squad of players. Yes, he won the league 3 times in a row, but at a side who had already won it the previous season and has won it ever since he left for their 9th in a row!

Again, he has taken City onto the next level since he joined them too, winning 4 of the last 5 league titles. He has undoubtedly been a success at City, but winning a Champions League has to happen for his time there to be seen as fully successful!

Pep also tends to follow the money. I expect he will one day be managing Newcastle.
Nah, Pep is a shoe-in for PSG at some point

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say Pep as even though he's only managed at the best clubs with the most money in each league, his influence on the style of play in football has been very profound. I believe he is the reason as to why everyone tries to play out from the back now. I don't think Kopp has had that influence.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd say Pep as even though he's only managed at the best clubs with the most money in each league, his influence on the style of play in football has been very profound. I believe he is the reason as to why everyone tries to play out from the back now. I don't think Kopp has had that influence.

I'd agree that Pep's style influenced many teams following his Barca success. But the counter pressing techniques Klopp used at Dortmund are now commonplace.

Both have influenced and changed the game dramatically.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost impossible to say really
Ive gone for Pep,as he has done it at the very top level for so long
Wouldnt argue at all at Klopp either as he has done it under probably a lesser budget with his teams
Both absolutely at the very top of their profession both very different, but so much alike in their drive and passion for the game

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting question would be, would either succeed at Man Utd if you ignore the challenges of them moving there from their current clubs.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is Jurgen Klopp for me as well as Pep to all intents and purposes " failed " at Bayern Munich. Yes I know they won the Bundesliga and other domestic trophies but he failed to win the one FC Hollywood appointed him to win, the Champions League !

When it comes to the massive European nights you virtually know who Jurgen will chose team wise where as Pep for me has blown two trips to the big game with tinkering for tinkering sake. The Tottenham Semi Final at White Hart Lane when he belittled Spurs and picked the sort of side he would select if they were playing a lower league club in the League Cup comes to mind ( DeBruyne, Sterling and Aguerro on the bench if I recall correctly ) which backfired and they could not overturn the tie at The Etihad. Then Lyon was another game that Pep decided to mess about selection wise with and that bloke Marcal ( he looked a player ) rampaged down the left unopposed !!! It could be argued he selected the wrong side v Chelsea last season as well.

Also with Pep, for me there is the argument that Frank Rijkard had put in a lot of the Barcelona foundations before Pep got there where as Jurgen Klopp built Mainz 05 from a Second Level German club into an established one and then took over at Borussia Dortmund and established them as a creditable Champions League threat as well a serious challenger to Bayern's dominance ( Something that according to Herr Paul Lambert they had not been since he left ................ I am joking but Lambert would not be if he did say that :):):) )
Excellent post. Pep’s failure to play Rodri or Fernandinho in last year’s final cost them the game. Tried to be too clever. I’d back Klopp to be more successful at Wolves than Pep.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An interesting question would be, would either succeed at Man Utd if you ignore the challenges of them moving there from their current clubs.
I think they both would. Thankfully the likelihood of it happening is practically zero.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I rate Guardiola, I do struggle to find any specific way in which he's better than Klopp when all things are considered and context is added.

Particularly when it comes to Europe. Lets say they fail again this year, sign Haaland this Summer and finally win the CL. What does that prove?

By sheer probability, spending over a billion pounds on an already brilliant squad over a 7 year period is almost certainly going to finally pay divident whether you have Pep Guardiola or Dean Saunders in charge.

They've had some favorable draws as well. Knocked out by Monaco, Lyon, Spurs etc.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a bit like Lewis Hamilton imo.

Put him in the best Mercedes car and he will win most Grand Prix. Put him in an inferior Williams car and he would struggle.

Difficult to choose between Klopp and Pep. Both fiercely competitive. My choice would be Pep because his teams are so brilliant to watch when they are in full flow. Klopps Liverpool are efficient and regimented like the German national teams of the past.

It would be interesting though wouldn’t it if either of them were managers of clubs like Norwich, Watford and Burnley wouldn’t it!

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I can't stand Klopp but i think his record is more impressive. Taking teams that (at the time) weren't favourites and making them title winners. The progress Liverpool have made under him is immense.

I guess with Pep he really brought the glory years with Barca and really changed the way the club operated (the documentary is a good watch. Why they didn't give him what he wantrd is beyond me). Can't really judge on Bayern. And whilst he made City better than they ever have been, it has been with a blank chequebook and getting whoever he wants.

Would like to see what Pep would be like at smaller clubs. I think Klopp's time at Mainz shows a lot

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pep is the best.

The football his team plays is out of this world, and, like Messi to a degree, we have been normalised to his brilliance.

I think there are a lot of myths surrounding him that get exaggerated now. Obviously, City spend ridiculous money but he is improving players. He makes good players, excellent players - all the time.

Was Ederson really viewed as the best keeper in the world at Benfica? Same with Dias, we were strongly linked with him a year before! Yes, they're obviously good, or very good, but they came from Benfica.

Cancelo hardly pulled up trees at Juventus, Rodri had one season at Atletico Madrid, Laporte was at Athletic Bilbao, Stones from Everton, Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg.

Again, I'm not saying these were bad players, far from it. But, they were all (even KDB, remember the pundits at the time(!)) doubted. They were not proven world-class stars signed from elite clubs. They were good players who needed and COULD go up another level if they fulfilled their potential, but, as we know, that doesn't always happen. However, under Pep it always happens.

Because these players all turn out to be amazing we get that Pep has bought success but I feel it's a cheap dig and doesn't highlight the amazing coaching work that he does.

That's not to say Klopp isn't incredible, they're both clearly the top two but Pep has transformed football IMO and even a club like City with unlimited resources are never going to have it as good as they've got it now because he combines constant success with style to the extent it is now boring.

Back
Top Bottom