Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kits Inspired by Ours

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of international break filler. Exactly what it says in the title, basically: clubs who wear a kit inspired, at least partially, by the old gold and black. I only know of two, but there must be others - perhaps abroad?

Newport County
In 1896 John Lysaght steel works relocated from Wolverhampton to Newport and lots of its workers moved too. They settled in a new area of Newport which was nicknamed 'Little Staffordshire', and had (and still has) roads called Dudley Street, Walsall Street and Wednesbury Street. In 1912 they were integral to the founding of Newport County, and although they took their colours from the town's rugby team, the likeness to the old gold has been raised as a factor in that decision.

Loughborough Dynamo F.C.
Currently playing in the eighth tier (their highest ever level), they were formed in 1955 by some local school pupils. Clearly inspired by the Molineux floodlight friendlies, they took their name (and logo) from Dynamo Moscow and their colours from us. The kit's a bit more yellow-y nowadays, but I reckon some of us'd be happy with this season's number...

I don't know for sure, but I think there might also be an second-hand influence on ninth tier Shepshed Dynamo's away kit. Shepshed's just down the road from Loughborough, and the club (then Shepshed Charterhouse) was rescued by Loughborough Dynamo a couple of decades back, taking on their name and logo. Their away kit is now yellow, which could be a nod of recognition to Loughborough.

Anyone know the origins of Bilston United's orange?

Last edited:

paulhick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I played for a team that used Swansea’s kit. Not a replica-the actual kit donated by Swansea themselves.

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit of international break filler. Exactly what it says in the title, basically: clubs who wear a kit inspired, at least partially, by the old gold and black. I only know of two, but there must be others - perhaps abroad?

Newport County
In 1896 John Lysaght steel works relocated from Wolverhampton to Newport and lots of its workers moved too. They settled in a new area of Newport which was nicknamed 'Little Staffordshire', and had (and still has) roads called Dudley Street, Walsall Street and Wednesbury Street. In 1912 they were integral to the founding of Newport County, and although they took their colours from the town's rugby team, the likeness to the old gold has been raised as a factor in that decision.

Loughborough Dynamo F.C.
Currently playing in the eighth tier (their highest ever level), they were formed in 1955 by some local school pupils. Clearly inspired by the Molineux floodlight friendlies, they took their name (and logo) from Dynamo Moscow and their colours from us. The kit's a bit more yellow-y nowadays, but I reckon some of us'd be happy with this season's number...

I don't know for sure, but I think there might also be an second-hand influence on ninth tier Shepshed Dynamo's away kit. Shepshed's just down the road from Loughborough, and the club (then Shepshed Charterhouse) was rescued by Loughborough Dynamo a couple of decades back, taking on their name and logo. Their away kit is now yellow, which could be a nod of recognition to Loughborough.

Not quite as impressive as the Notts County inspired Juventus kit though.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
didn't we donate some struggling club some old shirts at some point which led to them later adopting those colours, can't remember any of the details just a vague memory about something like that happening

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite kits inspired by ours (their kit is a bit more Blackpool) but LA Wolves FC are inspired by Los Angeles Wolves. Los Angeles Wolves were essentially Wolves players who for one season only played in the US in 1967 as the American franchises couldn't get players signed up. They would be the only ever winners of the United Soccer Association

Apologies to anyone if I've skipped some of the "history" here, but it was before my time - a bit of a write up here:

LA Wolves website - Home | L.A. Wolves FC

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
didn't we donate some struggling club some old shirts at some point which led to them later adopting those colours, can't remember any of the details just a vague memory about something like that happening
Yeah, this rings a bell to me too! A club abroad, I think...?

PumpKing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I may be well off the fact here, but I’m sure I read somewhere that it was Barnett for some reason.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I may be well off the fact here, but I’m sure I read somewhere that it was Barnett for some reason.
could have been but still can't remember the details. the colour of their kit would work though

Last edited:

Hugh Jarse

Reaction score

Newport County

Loughborough Dynamo F.C.

My partners daughter plays for Loughborough Dynamo. There's another girl in the team who's Wolves mad!

She lives in Shepshed and their Dynamo play on Butthole Lane lol. If you go in a pub on match day it's funny hearing grown blokes asking each other if they're up the Butthole today!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
She lives in Shepshed and their Dynamo play on Butthole Lane lol. If you go in a pub on match day it's funny hearing grown blokes asking each other if they're up the Butthole today!
Yes! I forgot about Butthole Lane. Incredible. Martin O'Neill managed them decades ago.

Back
Top Bottom