Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman & Collins

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big test for them both today!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big test for them both today!
Yes have to agree they are coming up against plenty of pace today are they ready ?, I would have prefered it if they had a few more games together but its what it is.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes have to agree they are coming up against plenty of pace today are they ready ?, I would have prefered it if they had a few more games together but its what it is.

Only way to learn both have the ability and have played against top prem teams before. This is why I think we will go 433 the extra midfielder can mean extra cover whereas in our 4231 that midfielder is a CAM and it's Podence who isn't one for tracking back or a defensive presence.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to take the rough with the smooth with this young back four. It's mainly why I wouldn't back us to finish higher than 7-10th this season, because they're still learning and will make some mistakes. Kane is one of the best in the world and will drag Kilman/Collins into positions they don't want to be in, Son has blistering pace, and Kulusevski is very tricky. Add Perisic at LWB as well, Neto is going to have to put a shift in defensively today to help Jonny out down this right hand side.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have to take the rough with the smooth with this young back four. It's mainly why I wouldn't back us to finish higher than 7-10th this season, because they're still learning and will make some mistakes. Kane is one of the best in the world and will drag Kilman/Collins into positions they don't want to be in, Son has blistering pace, and Kulusevski is very tricky. Add Perisic at LWB as well, Neto is going to have to put a shift in defensively today to help Jonny out down this right hand side.
Well Neto did put a shift in as I expected he would have to.

I felt Collins and Kilman were fantastic against arguably the best (or very close to it) front three in the league. Collins caught flat footed for the goal after the flick on, but other than that made some phenomenal blocks and neither of them give Kane or Son a sniff, especially in the first half.

I agree with others that have said sometimes they can be a little bit ponderous with the passing out from the back, a little bit more intensity with their passing would be nice, but as long as they aren't giving the ball away it's not a major problem.

Kilman also looks to have put a lot of muscle on, he looks a lot bigger.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought they were brilliant today and show real promise as a pair. A big shame about the goal from Collins' POV, which was a bad error, but he is a young lad and will learn from it.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm more nervous about our FBs than Kilman or Collins. Jonny and RAN don't look themselves I think the formation change is hardest on them, I think Semedo will be better in the 4 than either of them initially.

Kilman and Collins will be class for us.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes have to agree they are coming up against plenty of pace today are they ready ?, I would have prefered it if they had a few more games together but its what it is.He takes

The pace never troubled either of them. Very positive and a refreshing change from having defenders cling back for fear of being beaten.

I think blaming Collins for the defeat is harsh. It was presumably a corner Spurs have worked on, their corners were noticeably a league ahead of ours all afternoon. He is the right side of Kane - now Kane knows where the set piece is going, Collins doesn't. He takes one step the wrong way and the ball is whipped in so fast, that is enough. All over in less than a second.

If we could have done anything similar with the numerous corners and set pieces we had, we'd have got a draw. Most top 6 teams in any league let in a goal a match, they are top because they score 2 or more. That's our problem, as it has been for years.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm more nervous about our FBs than Kilman or Collins. Jonny and RAN don't look themselves I think the formation change is hardest on them, I think Semedo will be better in the 4 than either of them initially.

Big problem in the second half was Jonny's positional play and comparative lack of athleticism. There were a good few occasions on which Spurs would have been in with the right pass. Corner for their goal came from one of those breaks too

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big problem in the second half was Jonny's positional play and comparative lack of athleticism. There were a good few occasions on which Spurs would have been in with the right pass. Corner for their goal came from one of those breaks too

Really wasnt

The problem was on the left they had son Perisic and Ben davies

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be fair, I've been one of RAN's biggest critics over first couple of games, but I thought he played well today, especially in the second half. In an attacking sense he also has the potential to be a serious threat for us, as does Semedo. Jonny does worry me, I didn't want to believe it but he's definitely lost some pace, and looks a bit lost in a back four because of it. He hasn't been terrible, but it's not the Jonny of old that was a 7/10 every game.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really wasnt

The problem was on the left they had son Perisic and Ben davies
I don't know what you watch sometimes! Rewatch the first 20 mins of the second half and they have 3/4 chances for a great opportunity courtsey of Jonny being out of position. And Davies played CB

But - entitled to opinion etc

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
They were both excellent again today. Front post flick-on at a corner is one of the hardest things to defend against.

Actually thought we looked more comfortable playing out from the back in the first half than we have for a long time. A fully-fit Semedo will help massively as well.

Biggest compliment I can give is we’re not missing Coady. And I thought we would. 4-3-3 is the way forward. Just need the forwards to start firing.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what you watch sometimes! Rewatch the first 20 mins of the second half and they have 3/4 chances for a great opportunity courtsey of Jonny being out of position. And Davies played CB

But - entitled to opinion etc
Davies was playing almost as a left back at times, they were overloading us with Son and Perisic. It was nullified brilliantly by Neto in the first half who helped numerous times, but once Neto tired, Jonny was far more exposed and outnumbered I felt.

Not sure if Spurs intentionally targeted Jonny either, I think it’s just that Conte likes to create overloads with very attacking wingbacks (hence Chelsea’s interest in previous years in Adama when he was there).

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins made one mistake really and it cost us, but otherwise both CBs were excellent.
RAN did ok but still worried about Jonny - bit surprised that Semedo didnt come on for him or go the right and Jonny go to LB.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Davies was playing almost as a left back at times, they were overloading us with Son and Perisic. It was nullified brilliantly by Neto in the first half who helped numerous times, but once Neto tired, Jonny was far more exposed and outnumbered I felt.

Not sure if Spurs intentionally targeted Jonny either, I think it’s just that Conte likes to create overloads with very attacking wingbacks (hence Chelsea’s interest in previous years in Adama when he was there).
Jonny was getting done 1v1 consistently not done on overlaps. Perisic is 33 and was walking past him. Was brutal to watch

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Both played brilliantly today unfortunately Collins mistake cost us but other than that he was outstanding.

For two young centre backs with limited premier experience to keep Kane and Son relatively quiet is very good.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny was getting done 1v1 consistently not done on overlaps. Perisic is 33 and was walking past him. Was brutal to watch
I never said he was getting done by overlaps, just positionally when you are having to cover two players because Neto was knackered and wasn't tracking back as much in the second half, it's even harder. Perisic is still a phenomenal player that's extremely unpredictable because of how two-footed he is, let alone having to worry about Son making runs in behind.

It definitely stood out to me today though that's he lost a bit of pace, and that's definitely been more exposed playing in a back four. I would expect Semedo to replace him on the right next week.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed. RAN looks lost sometimes in a 4, it seems. Jonny just isn't fully himself and may never be. Still a quality player, just not on the up like before.

Semedo will be huge for us.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the whole back 4 played well. I don't think Tottenham created that much at all, even second half.
We know the problem is scoring goals. We've bought in guedes to help that, you'd hope from the chances he had today he would get 1 when he is integrated into the side. But now we need more. Strikers please.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
End of the day, you would settle for conceding 1 away at Tottenham.

The fact we can’t score in a brothel is the sole issue here.

As a 2, I would say these pair are up there with anything in the league at present, least of our worries.

el gringo

Reaction score
I thought they were brilliant today and show real promise as a pair. A big shame about the goal from Collins' POV, which was a bad error, but he is a young lad and will learn from it.
I don't think it was an error - he was going to where the ball was going to clear it, and it was deflected behind him, giving him maybe 0.25 seconds (possibly even less) to adjust. Kane didn't make the same attempt on the pre-deflected ball because it was going behind him. What was Collins supposed to do? Stay with Kane and let the (pre-deflected ball) fly by him?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think it was an error - he was going to where the ball was going to clear it, and it was deflected behind him, giving him maybe 0.25 seconds (possibly even less) to adjust. Kane didn't make the same attempt on the pre-deflected ball because it was going behind him. What was Collins supposed to do? Stay with Kane and let the (pre-deflected ball) fly by him?
He lost his man 2 yards from goal, it was an error. Other than that I thought he was superb.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He lost his man 2 yards from goal, it was an error. Other than that I thought he was superb.
Raul made little or no effort to put any pressure on the flick on either. They’re both (he and Collins) to blame for me.

Collins was excellent overall, though.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Yes, obviously. His job is to stop Kane scoring, therefore stay with Kane!

Still he's been excellent and will only get better.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Collins was an outstanding signing. Hope the duo patrols our area for years. Also he looks like Thor, which can only be good.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were both excellent again today. Front post flick-on at a corner is one of the hardest things to defend against.

Actually thought we looked more comfortable playing out from the back in the first half than we have for a long time. A fully-fit Semedo will help massively as well.

Biggest compliment I can give is we’re not missing Coady. And I thought we would. 4-3-3 is the way forward. Just need the forwards to start firing.
You read the game very well my friend, They were both superb today and let’s hope they stay fit.

We’re a big hitter up front and a good run with injuries (without) from being a very good team.

I don’t think we need a youngster up top. We need a big, strong man with good hold up play and the ability to unsettle and rattle defences

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sounds ironic because his error cost us a point but I thought Collins was brilliant yesterday. There was a bit of play literally 10-15 minutes in when Sa played him a pretty sharp pass in the box, and he just glided past the chasing attackers and played it down the line.

Having defenders who can carry the ball out will help us massively, it means our midfielders can receive the ball 20-30 yards higher up the pitch. We can attack more aggressively then which is what we badly need.
He’s still got a bit of Dycheball in him where he’ll just wallop the ball away instead of looking for a pass, but I guess you need that sometimes.

21 as well, so he’s arguably what 7,8,9 years away from being an absolute peak centre back? Sounds crazy for us Wolves fans but £20m on a defender and it could be a bargain! Huge credit to our recruitment team, even though he’s played against us he wasn’t a player I really spotted as a future star but he looks every bit.

SuziQ

Reaction score
Collins looked a little less panicked when receiving the ball under pressure today. Hoping some of Kilman's calmness is rubbing off on him!

These two were amongst the best we had on the pitch today. Agree with the earlier comment that we don't seem to be missing Coady at all.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman is magnificent.
Smart and beautiful.
His genes should be harvested and used to repopulate the earth once we blow ourselves into oblivion, as we should, since we don't deserve this planet.

Then we use him as the model of a species worthy of custodianship of the planet.

So....

A bit over the top?

Reaction score
They were both great yesterday, yes Collins made a mistake and was caught ball watching for half a second but he’s young and will learn from it, the other 99% off the match he was brilliant.
Think we have a top cb pairing in the making.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First time seeing this partnership live last night.

We have a serious player on our hands in Collins.

Kilman has become noticeably more aggressive too, both in his defending and the speed he carries the ball out of defence.

Back
Top Bottom