Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman & Collins

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know today's result wasn't what we all wanted, but how good are these two going to be? Both extremely comfortable on the ball, great in the air, fast, strong, commanding. Didn't give Mitrovic a sniff today, and he used to run Coady ragged.

Collins at only 21 looks a special talent, and Kilman at 25 should get even better than he already is, and surely a matter of time before he gets an England call up.

A much sterner test next week against Spurs, but what a fantastic foundation we have in place there.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really liked them as a pair, although wouldn't go as far as calling Collins 'comfortable on the ball' yet. There's a world of difference between being the 'cultured ball playing CB' at Stoke and Burnley, and teams at our level. You can see the panic when he's closed quickly, or doesn't get ideal conditions to play out in, which Kilman usually seems to take on so effortlessly.

Still, time very much on his side, can learn, and being as he has the pace and strength to play the role properly, I'm more than happy with those 2 as central pairing.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Love the way Collins looks to stride forward with the ball when he receives it with space in front of him.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to post exactly this and then read everyone’s negativity on the verdict thread and thought I must be watching a different game.

Glad it wasn’t just me.

We are a midfielder and striker away from being quality. 4/5 at the back shouldn’t even be a debate anymore, these 2 looked like they had played together for years.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to post exactly this and then read everyone’s negativity on the verdict thread and thought I must be watching a different game.

Glad it wasn’t just me.

We are a midfielder and striker away from being quality. 4/5 at the back shouldn’t even be a debate anymore, these 2 looked like they had played together for years.
Would like a left back.....not to replace Rayan..but for competition etc....a proper left back not wing back...I get that Jonny can play there , but Jonny has worried me as well....we need 4....don't have to spend massive money.....or even a centre back who could cover ....again unsure about toti.....

floydstreet

Reaction score
Ben white playing full back, mings been dropped, Maguire in shocking form , stones on bench

Struggling to see how he won’t be called up soon, although arguably should be allowed to play for Ukraine aside from a weird futsall ruling.

Top top player and Collins encouraging today.

Also Semedo - strong cameo that, he’s a good player back four will be stronger for him

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ben white playing full back, mings been dropped, Maguire in shocking form , stones on bench

Struggling to see how he won’t be called up soon, although arguably should be allowed to play for Ukraine aside from a weird futsall ruling.

Also Semedo - strong cameo that, he’s a good player back four will be stronger for him
Yes, I think having Semedo back will make a big difference, both defensively and in an attacking sense. I think it's between RAN and Jonny for that left-back spot, hopefully the competition will make them step it up a notch as we know they're capable of better.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Kilman ran with the ball and into Fulham’s defensive third, looked up and he was the most advanced player, so had to turn and play it back.
Never in a million years should your CB be your best player in midfield :tearsofjoy:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The defending has been good so far, albeit against two very weak teams in all honesty. The real acid test will be dealing with the quality of Tottenham. I'm not sure the combination has quite the agility and pace to really change our fortunes that dramatically. The Boly of 3-4 years ago was superior to both and the defensive targets of a year ago seemed more promising in that respect.

Both need to be more urgent on the ball for me, as we really need to centre backs to assist in setting the tempo. Too often the ball is simply prodded back to Sa and then we waste another 30 seconds with him, luring the attackers on, and then tightly passing it to a defender.

The pass needs to be done from the centre backs in the first place. I admit the poor options in the centre of the park don't help though. It's early days though.

Reactions: Ian

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love the way Collins looks to stride forward with the ball when he receives it with space in front of him.
As does Max. It is the one saving feature of our tippy tappy sideways and backwards play, that on occasions these 2 will go forward. That and the fact that some of Maxs long balls today were great.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good defensively . But they were the problem Yesterday.

They need to be so much faster with their passing and braver .

No good just giving it to the full back after taking 3 seconds on the ball. We will get punished next with that lackluster approach.

Promising signs and something they can easily sort with more confidence

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Kilman ran with the ball and into Fulham’s defensive third, looked up and he was the most advanced player, so had to turn and play it back.
Never in a million years should your CB be your best player in midfield :tearsofjoy:
Perhaps he should convert to being a midfielder?

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Collins and Kilman wall which was our defence

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Thought they were both great yesterday. Dealt with Mitrovic really well (he is a myth, first two touches went into the stands).

Like others have said Collins when closed down panicked slightly and miscontrolled it on a few occasions. Hopefully that will improve. I also thought Collins held onto the ball to long Jonny was on alot out wide but instead he ran forward 3 steps then passed it. Although I would of not passed to Jonny he was poor imo yesterday.

It's a promising partnership. We defended well for majority of the game. Looking forward to them developing. Let's hope the full backs start helping more and stop giving away goalscoring opportunities

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agree with what you say, but unfortunately you have to bring in the Southgate Factor.

He's the sort who would need to go for a course of counselling if his Mrs suddenly changed his tea brand from PG Tips to Tetley

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with what you say, but unfortunately you have to bring in the Southgate Factor.

He's the sort who would need to go for a course of counselling if his Mrs suddenly changed his tea brand from PG Tips to Tetley
Surley must be Yorkshire Tea only?? Tetley and PG very poor in comparison. On my 3rd cup of Yorkshire this morning so far.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Kilmans a Rolls Royce of a defender ain't he.

Thought Collins looked a bit raw, few heavy touches and sloppy passes under no pressure but won his duals well and think he will make a good partnership with Max.

Solid, if not a bit slow with the ball at feet. But can excuse them that with the poor movement Infront of them.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman looks the business, Collins not quite as assured but will improve, Spurs will be a real test.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Won't be long before Kilman is playing champions league football. Not many left footed CB as good as he is (or will be)

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman made it look effortless, regardless of the pressure.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very impressed with the pair of them, but agree there needs to be more urgency in their distribution.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman makes it look too easy.. been a while since I saw that level of command at the back for Wolves.

Collins looks a great pick up at his age.

Tezla

Reaction score
If kilman isn't called up soon then I'm even more adamant that Southgate is the wrong man!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If kilman isn't called up soon then I'm even more adamant that Southgate is the wrong man!
With the form of Maguire, Mings, Stones etc, then Kilman has to play, not just get called up!

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the form of Maguire, Mings, Stones etc, then Kilman has to play, not just get called up!
I mean that's the only logical conclusion based on current form, this season and last

Shame Southgate will stick religiously to his Sky 6 First principles

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of conversation online regarding the state of the current England CBs at their respective clubs. Kilman doesn’t even get a mention.

He’s going to surprise a lot of people very soon.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of conversation online regarding the state of the current England CBs at their respective clubs. Kilman doesn’t even get a mention.

He’s going to surprise a lot of people very soon.
I am really hoping for a Wolves CB to be playing in the World Cup. Was hoping for 2 of them but we have loaned out Coady!

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The benefit to kilman and lages change of formation is that he is now proving himself in a back 4 which is how southgate prefers to go most matches. I think most of us thought he could adapt to the change in formation and he is looking as majestic in a 4 as in a back 3. No excuses now not to be picked by southgate.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman is the real deal, Collins looks a very solid defender but maybe not great on the ball (those few touches in a few seconds in the second half were more than dodgy!). But these two are definitely a good base to build from

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yep. How can you pick Maguire or Stones in particular? Maguire is playing as badly as any CB in the division and Stones ain't kicking a ball.

Mings got back in and tbf made some big blocks and tackles - I don't rate him a jot but GS would at least have some justification.

Tomori, Kilman should be first two on the teamsheet. Both playing at a high level, one in toughest league in world and other at Serie A Champions/Champions League etc.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think with Jonny and Semedo either side of them, they should be a very solid back four, and allow the rest of the team to concentrate on going forward.
We need our full backs to get forward to provide the width, though. That's what'll enable us to get bodies in the box.

Back
Top Bottom