Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jose Sa

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Bit of bias involved here and i rarely watch PL games outside of Wolves or matches with title implications. But has there been a a better new signing for this season that has had a bigger impact on their club‘s performance other than Jose Sa?

Apologies if this question has already been asked.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bit of bias involved here and i rarely watch PL games outside of Wolves or matches with title implications. But has there been a a better new signing for this season that has had a bigger impact on their club‘s performance other than Jose Sa?

Probably not no. Dennis at Watford has had quite the impact, along with Sarr are miles above the quality of the rest of the side so probably raise their potential a lot. But in terms of consistent output and achievement…no.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Romelu Luk … hold on. That’s not right.

Danny Ing …. Wait

Cristiano Ronaldo … he appears to have had a massive impact on both team and club.

Oh … better signing? Positive impact? Nah.

PTW

Reaction score
He has been incredible. Never in my life I expected him to achieve this level, at least knowing him from the Portugal Youth teams, as a backup keeper for Casillas at Porto, I have to admit I never payed attention to him at Olympiakos, I don't know if he is exceeding his level, if it was Tony Roberts work with him, but honestly, even not having sometimes the most "normal" style of a keeper, he clearly has been a top 5 keeper in the League. No doubt about that.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio was bloody good today. Shame that he couldn't score. Had we taken our chances the Vile should have been buried. Then we relied on Jose to keep us in it. Penalty my ****.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For someone that was such a Rui fan I Thought Sa to be quite a downgrade. I was wrong again and he is ****ing magnificent and has allowed us to play a higher line and bank about £7m on the deal.

Don't forget the wages saving too, a few more million there, anyone know what Sa is on per week? Rui was allegedly on £100k p/w that, that's £430k p/m around £5m per year, I reckon Sa isn't even on half of that.

All that money should be offered to Ruben Neves by the way

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Made some big saves but he was really erratic. Him and Boly need more time as they both really put us in bad spots at times.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa has been brilliant but I sometimes wonder how he hasn't made more mistakes! His propensity to absolutely hare out of his goal always looks like it's going to end in disaster but, as with the Matty Cash save right at the end yesterday, it so often saves us.

His positioning for one on ones is brilliant. The Leeds equaliser last week shows that his positional play for other aspects of his game is not perfect though

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa has been brilliant but I sometimes wonder how he hasn't made more mistakes! His propensity to absolutely hare out of his goal always looks like it's going to end in disaster but, as with the Matty Cash save right at the end yesterday, it so often saves us.

His positioning for one on ones is brilliant. The Leeds equaliser last week shows that his positional play for other aspects of his game is not perfect though
I think it’s the fact that he’s just so committed, like even when he may make the wrong decision there’s no doubt or hesitation he commits to it and that means he can “get away with it” at times simply because he doesn’t second guess himself or hesitate.

It may appear rash at times but reacting quickly, even making the wrong choice, generally gives the opposition less time to take their chances.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There was more indecision than usual yesterday. He started to come for the Watkins one on one but retreated (I was dead in line with it and Sa would have got there first quite easily), the Cash chance at the end too, he came, stopped then came again and managed to get something on it. Made some key saves again and has been brilliant for most the season but his decision making, yesterday at least, was a bit erratic

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

There was more indecision than usual yesterday. He started to come for the Watkins one on one but retreated (I was dead in line with it and Sa would have got there first quite easily), the Cash chance at the end too, he came, stopped then came again and managed to get something on it. Made some key saves again and has been brilliant for most the season but his decision making, yesterday at least, was a bit erratic
Yeah him and Boly need more game time to get used to each other. There was that time villa threw us the ball back and they just stood looking at each other

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score

Think it’s just his style. You watch him when the ball isn’t even in play and he’s bouncing around on the spot, he’s just a hurricane of energy! He’ll cost us goals at times but will save us far, far more.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A Chart from The Times sums up the man’s contribution :

XG against all season: 49
Goals Conceded: 27
Difference: 22

That puts Jose top of that table, with double the amount of Allison of Liverpool
That xG figure is one of the main reasons Bruno needs to be backed in the summer. You can't expect Sa to have such a stellar season next year - unless we've signed one of the top keepers in the world - so we need to get the xG against down to something like Arsenal's 36

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That xG figure is one of the main reasons Bruno needs to be backed in the summer. You can't expect Sa to have such a stellar season next year - unless we've signed one of the top keepers in the world - so we need to get the xG against down to something like Arsenal's 36
Surely the stats say we have done just that! Signed 1 of the best.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A Chart from The Times sums up the man’s contribution :

XG against all season: 49
Goals Conceded: 27
Difference: 22

That puts Jose top of that table, with double the amount of Allison of Liverpool

Look at England's no1 lol. Sa is easily the signing of the season, but I can tell you with 100% certainty he won't win that mindshare with other club's fans as he plays for the wrong team.

FPe5-TPWQAA1btA

But yes, we're one of the worst teams for conceding high value chances, that's not good enough in the long term. Statistically, xG will always even itself out over a long enough period.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The high xG may be due to the style we play. He is almost like a sweeper .
But I like this style , a lot of keepers seem to be defensive and back off.
He is aggressive , moves forward and breaks down play and reduces time for the striker to set up.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose has had a great season so far but his last two bad decisions to give away 2 penalties are being to spoil his season somewhat.
Last week didn't matter but tonight cost us a point.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jose has had a great season so far but his last two bad decisions to give away 2 penalties are being to spoil his season somewhat.
Has miles more credit in the bank, all 3 he has given away have been due to his style but that helped us a ton as well. Got to take the rough with the smooth. Chance creation and to a lesser extent giving up big chances are the issues

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't a pen. He needs to stop flying out though, doing himself no favours.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If his form drops and he continues to give away pens with erratic style I can see fans turning on him

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he does get exposed a lot. Without him, we'd probably be bottom half.

Defence badly needs upgrading on and that includes the CB's too.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always going to happen with him being the way he is. Luckily he’s made some fantastic saves and probably the main reason we are where we are this season.
Good goalkeeping coaching and more experience will cut this out of Jose's game though me thinks..
So that he can be Portugal's No1 not No3 atm ;)

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Needs to calm down. Way too over excitable when the ball is loose in the box.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am struggling to understand why people think that wasn't a penalty?

Surely Sa should know that Wood is a donkey who would never be able to slot a left foot finish from an acute angle into the bottom corner so no need to take him out. Also, it was obvious he was going to Deeney it down the middle.

More homework required, Jose.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If his form drops and he continues to give away pens with erratic style I can see fans turning on him
Laughable.
He has improved our team no end.
The pen vs Villa was a joke.
The one tonight was legit even though Wood made the most of it.
Real fans will not turn on him. They appreciate what he has brought to the team and support him wholeheartedly.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is the kind of crazy keeper who when everything is going well is immense. If his decisions go the other way, he becomes a complete liability and its probably whats held him back in some ways.

No complaints with him though for us, barely put a foot wrong.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frustrating one to give away but he is the main difference between us this season and last season and the main reason we are where we are in the league, so it’s hard to be too critical of him.

Stingray II

Reaction score
He's brilliant. He is the main reason we have conceded so few goals. He bosses his area like a cartel enforcer. Come near his goal, he's having you. Our defenders no longer need to protect the goal line and can be more forward. He has given Bruno new options. I think he's a man who can't be told when or when not to challenge. He's his own boss. I'd love it if he could take advice around giving away penalties and get more nuanced, but maybe he is what he is. If it's just his core nature, then that's who he is. I'll take the 4 or 5 penalties he gives away in a season for the many more goals he prevents. And I don't just mean his saves. His control of his area has (IMO) nullified many attacks. Where Rui may have been forced to a save, Jose doesn't have one to make. The opponent's attack may have fizzled out because Sa positions the defence and moves into the designed space to collect or block if the defence doesn't clear (which mostly they do). It's not simply the opposition performing badly in our box. Our Keeper is bossing his goal area like no keeper I've ever seen at Wolves. Only the top three teams have conceded fewer. I believe we would be below 8th had we not signed him.

Back
Top Bottom