Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jose Sa vs Rui Patricio

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
For me I lost count the amount of times teams played a through ball or one over the top and I cringed as Rui stuck to his line and it became 50/50 between the striker and our centre half , a similar feeling with crosses either from open play or set pieces , I don’t get those feelings with Jose,, Rui was good for us and I’d never knock his services to us , but I’m much more relaxed with sa between the sticks

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All the chat was about how Sa is a better all round keeper, and not as good a shotstopper. Which was a polite way of saying he's not as good

The biggest factor imo is experience, as highlighted by that Newcastle goal (which is the only negative so far for Sa).

A few seasons of prem football, hopefully some European action and some international caps - Sa potentially has a higher ceiling from what I've seen so far

Turned out to be a smart piece of business

Last edited:

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa is by far a better all round modern day keeper/sweeper his distribution is top notch, big shout out too for Tony Roberts who is doing a great job.

All respect to Rui, but...

I've voted for Sa and I agree with what has been said here: very good keeper and a great character. His improvement as compared to the first games of the season is evident. Credit to Tony Roberts. Btw. I read an interview with Lukasz Fabianski the other day, he mentioned Tony Roberts making him a much better keeper in their Swansea days. I think we have a coaching gem on board.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Rui was great absolutely no doubt about that.... however it was a fantastic bit of business by the club to sell him for 12 million and replace him with a younger keeper for half the price who is just as good and adds something else with his distribution.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Rui was great. I'm very happy with Sa but still way early to say he wins us more points than Rui who kept us in many games against top teams. Loving the Sa distribution though which I think he wins if Saturday was anything to go by.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not voting as I like both, but for different reasons.
Rui was reluctant to leave his line but a great shot stopper.
Jose is quick of the line and his distribution is really good.
Only worry I have with Sa is his occasional brain farts with the ball at his feet.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted Sa, though also a big fan of Patricio.
I also think Sa will be more suited to playing behind a back 4 than Patricio. If ever we do that.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To those saying Rui is a better shotstopper, might be right but Sa does more for the team which makes it so he has less shots to save.
Reminds me of when we had Marcus Hahnemann. He wasn't the best shot stopper, but his commanding of the penalty area and communication to the defenders probably gained us a crucial 5-6 points a season.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hard to compare for me,they are like chalk and cheese,on and off the pitch.If you look at any of the training sessions.Rui looks a moody guy.Whilst Jose looks like a frog on a hot path.Liked Rui a lot.Love jose.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good article

Really interesting. Some insight into Rui’s approach as well, I think this comment was illuminating - ‘of the goalkeepers to make 50 or more Premier League appearances in that period [last 3 years] Opta's expected-goals model indicates that his [Rui] record was the worst of all his peers.’

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
20211123_102021.png
Thought these were interesting comparing the two....Obviously still a long way to go in the season but Sa been one of the better keepers in the league so far!
20211123_102018.png

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never really got the love-in with Rui. Yes, he made the occasional great save but then most keepers do. Frankly, I thought he was no better than Ruddy and in some respects worse (and I got pelters from the 'experts' for daring to say that). For me, he let in far too many soft goals that he should have stopped and he NEVER commanded his area. In every respect, for me, Sa is the superior keeper.

BigSteve

Reaction score
I do love Rui but Sa is more dominant in the area and is a world apart in terms of distribution. It's not obvious to me he's a worse shot stopper either. A very good signing.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe how fortunate we were to have Rui as our goalkeeper, but he has moved on and Jose has exceeded my expectations. A good goalkeeper with superb distribution. Yet again we are fortunate to have another top class keeper.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that selling Rui for £11m and signing Sa as a replacement for £7m is excellent business. I think looking at some of the goals Rui has let in this season we moved him on at a good time.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
The forthcoming Burnley match will be interesting, a litmus test more or less for our new way of defending our penalty area.
He will most likely fetch some of those traditional high Burnley balls deep inside our penalty area, that we have struggled miserably with previous seasons, mostly because of Rui's passive style. And as Burnley pushes a lot of players inside our penalty area attacking those high balls, we might now be able to counterattack them instead, with Jose's excellent distribution by feet and hand.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 25254
Thought these were interesting comparing the two....Obviously still a long way to go in the season but Sa been one of the better keepers in the league so far!
View attachment 25255
I notice that none of the posters who routinely queued up to insult other posters who dared suggest that Rui was nothing to write home about last season are conspicuous by their absence on this thread.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tactically, this is the greatest difference between Nuno and Bruno. It has completely changed the dynamic of a back 3 and we no longer have an isolated midfield 2.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

What a hateful thread.

Why can’t we just say thanks to Rui for being part of the revolution.

No - we have to say he was crap and good riddance (based largely on one free kick against Newcastle). If I was to see this without knowing otherwise I’d think he was a flapper like Darlow who costs a goal a game.

Why do we have to gloat that we’ve upgraded him? Someone just said Jose Sa has a much higher ceiling than Rui.

FFS that’s like saying Gary Pierce had a higher ceiling than Gordon Banks!!

Why not just say thanks and best wishes instead of a gloating slag off fest?

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Fair shout on Tony Roberts! He deserves a lot of credit for the work he's doing with Jose and the other keepers and is a big presence at the club

But also for the work he's doing on set pieces. We are undoubtedly better at the defending them this season, and are a threat attacking them... that's hugely influenced by Roberts and I noticed (sitting behind the bench on Saturday) that he comes off the bench (and Bruno sits down) every time we have a free kick, or any set pieces, attacking and defending, and he's calling all the shots

Never seen that from a GK coach before. I think he's been a big hit at the club and is effecting a lot more than the development of the goalkeepers
If only he had got his way and we had signed Kiefer Moore

quirky_birky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different keepers, different strengths, different weaknesses. It's like comparing Michael Oakes and Carl Ikeme - they did different things better each other. Rene Higuita scored 44 goals in his career, but I'm not sure I'd consider him a better keeper than Peter Schmeichel who ONLY managed 10 and ONLY commanded his penalty box (and not the centre circle!!!!! :D ).

I like Patricio and I like Sa. They bring different things to the table, and Patricio's 100+ caps for Portugal speak volumes, even if he doesn't command his box like Sa.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If only he had got his way and we had signed Kiefer Moore
You don't know there's any truth to that, the mans doing a good job for us, deserves a bit more than your sarcasm based on a transfer rumour

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a hateful thread.

No - we have to say he was crap and good riddance (based largely on one free kick against Newcastle). If I was to see this without knowing otherwise I’d think he was a flapper like Darlow who costs a goal a game.

Why do we have to gloat that we’ve upgraded him? Someone just said Jose Sa has a much higher ceiling than Rui.

It's a football forum, FFS. Perhaps we should just say 'As far as Wolves is concerned, everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds' and so close down Molineux Mix?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a football forum, FFS. Perhaps we should just say 'As far as Wolves is concerned, everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds' and so close down Molineux Mix?
Yeah but it's fine to have a pop at Fosun all the time and Bruno Lage constantly when he was first appointed...

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa for Patricio would be a bit like swapping Moutinho for Sanches. All are top quality, but they are all different. There is no doubt in my mind that Patricio is/was a top class goalie, but as others have said Sa is a much better fit for now. A couple of years ago under Nuno when we sat deep and were being negative, Patricio was perfect. If we want to evolve then we needed a goalie like Ederson and Alison; Sa is like that.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but it's fine to have a pop at Fosun all the time and Bruno Lage constantly when he was first appointed...
That's not my recollection. Even after losing the first three games, Lage was getting praise on here for the way he had got the team playing.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never thought I'd see a goalie of the quality of Rui at Wolves. It felt like such a privilege to have Rui Patricio here. So very very pleased and pleasantly surprised that Sa is looking even better!

I think he's been vital to our improved defending of set pieces. Not let in a goal from a corner so far this season. Even Burnley may not find us such a pushover when they pump those set pieces in this time.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a hateful thread.

I think you're overreacting, most posters are saying that they loved Rui but feel Jose is more suitable to the new style of play.
That's certainly not "hateful"

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a hateful thread.

Have you read the thread? Somehow I missed the crap and good riddance comments. Most people have acknowledged that he was good for us but are happy that Sa is potentially even better.

Or haven't you got over the fact that your constant doom mongering and whinging over the summer hasn't quite worked out the way you thought?

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Patricio was a great last line of defence, but struggled when he had to come off his line. Sa is more physical and can cope with crosses much better. Although technically I would say Patricio is a better keeper, Sa suits what’s needed much better.

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Are we seeing better displays from Kilman and Saiss because Sa and Roberts are now onboard?

Right now I I'm feeling like I was more worried in situations with Rui, corners, Freekicks, goal kicks and his distribution, than with Sa.

Apart from the first three games, I've really been won over by Sa, all elements of his game are strong.

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
Talking about Sa’s kick out to Podence on Saturday reminds me of Ruddy’s kick out to Jota vs Bolton in the championship season. I’ll have to rely on one of the kids on here to find it if they could be @rsed.

King Henry VIII

Groupie
Reaction score
Talking about Sa’s kick out to Podence on Saturday reminds me of Ruddy’s kick out to Jota vs Bolton in the championship season. I’ll have to rely on one of the kids on here to find it if they could be @rsed.

4:15 should get you straight to it but I'd recommend watching the whole thing. We were fantastic that day.

Back
Top Bottom