Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John Ruddy to re-sign?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere, or if my info is duspect, but I've just been told the Star has an article about Bruno wanting big JR to stay with us.

Wise move, e.g. for the benefit of the dressing room, or will it hinder the development of Sarkic?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ruddy is a no brainer.... homegrown.....it's too early for all the young keepers to be no 2 at a premier league club.....be suicidal to go into a season with just Jose Sa..

Keep... Jose Sa, Ruddy n Sondergaard (u23s)

Loan sarkic , moulden..

Last edited:

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd keep him for another season like you said good guy to have around the place seems a top pro who the others really respect! Sarkic would be better off playing another season as a number one and develop rather than being sat on our bench playing the odd cup game here and there...

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with all previous posts. It’s a no brainer for me.

Senior professional, well respected, experienced and a good role model to have at any club.

Bruno has said he wants JR to sign a new contract which says a lot. He is 35 years old and the career of a goalkeeper is longer than outfield players so he has a few years left. He’s a good backup for Jose so hope he will put pen to paper.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be very happy if Ruddy signed a new deal. Fantastic professional to have around the place and a more than capable understudy to Jose.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think it’s down to Ruddy. He’s what 35/36 now, so if he’s happy being on the bench and being that support figure in the dressing room, then yeah sign him up but if he wants to go somewhere and play regular as first choice then i wouldn’t blame him

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think a lot is going to come down to ruddy, does he fancy a few last seasons as a number 1 in the championship or the odd cup game with us.

He maybe looking towards life after his playing career if he feels as though he wants a coaching career he can learn a lot from the guys we have in the backroom staff.

I don't think he is appreciated enough by Wolves fan he is obviously very well respected in the dressing room which is the main thing for a back up keeper.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he’s a good character to have at the club but would he be interested in a coaching role or still wants to play?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By all means keep him in the dressing room but there is no way he should be starting matches for this club

Too often now his mistakes cost us places in cup competitions

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By all means keep him in the dressing room but there is no way he should be starting matches for this club

Too often now his mistakes cost us places in cup competitions
Is Sarkic better?
Or is Sarkic going to eventually be good enough?

Would rather not have to buy a back up keeper, so if Ruddy is still deemed the second best keeper at the club, try and sign him up. If Sarkic is ready, move him up the pecking order. Really is a decision we have to trust the management to make, as we see very little of them playing.

T

TheConcourse

I think a lot is going to come down to ruddy, does he fancy a few last seasons as a number 1 in the championship or the odd cup game with us.

He maybe looking towards life after his playing career if he feels as though he wants a coaching career he can learn a lot from the guys we have in the backroom staff.

I don't think he is appreciated enough by Wolves fan he is obviously very well respected in the dressing room which is the main thing for a back up keeper.
That surprises me. I haven’t met a Wolves fan who doesn’t appreciate the value of JR. Seems like a fantastic guy who is destined to step into coaching.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fantastic club man. Yes, will almost certainly be a successful coach.
Always remembered for the promo season.
Would I offer him another year? No, I wouldn't.
We need to have a real go at the cups next year. We can't do that if we play a significantly weaker keeper in cup games, and if Ruddy stays then almost by definition he plays in the cups.
Is it worth 20, 30, 40 grand a week to have him around the dressing room? No, I think that money could be better spent elsewhere

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That surprises me. I haven’t met a Wolves fan who doesn’t appreciate the value of JR. Seems like a fantastic guy who is destined to step into coaching.
Lovely chap, but to be honest I thought he was hit and miss in the championship and hasn’t looked great in a lot of the cup games he’s played since.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t really like it that’s he’s happy to spend the ages of 31-35 not playing any games. I get it that the money here is more than he could get elsewhere but surely you’d want to get out and play?

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
REALLY hope he signs up for another year.
Would be very good move!!

T

TheConcourse

Lovely chap, but to be honest I thought he was hit and miss in the championship and hasn’t looked great in a lot of the cup games he’s played since.

Unpopular opinion but I don’t really like it that’s he’s happy to spend the ages of 31-35 not playing any games. I get it that the money here is more than he could get elsewhere but surely you’d want to get out and play?
The context was that he isn’t respected enough by Wolves fans. I disagree with that. I think Wolves fans have a huge amount of respect for him.

I suppose the alternative for him is to slog it out in The Championship on £5-£10k a week max.. Wolves £20-30k at a guess towards the end of his career? No brainer.

I’d do exactly what Ruddy has done tbh. Top facilities, in and around the PL squad, access to the brightest minds as he transitions out of football in a few years. He’s had a good career playing regularly too. He doesn’t have anything to prove and his experience will help Sa.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a great bloke around the club, a good enough back up to Sa, sign him up if that's what he wants.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At 30-35, knowing that any season at a Premier League club could be my last, my family’s financial security is THE ONLY factor I’d have in my head.
Screw playing in the Championship for half the wedge or less. I’d challenge anyone who thinks they wouldn’t consider their own family’s needs.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Sarkic better?

Would rather not have to buy a back up keeper, so if Ruddy is still deemed the second best keeper at the club, try and sign him up. If Sarkic is ready, move him up the pecking order. Really is a decision we have to trust the management to make, as we see very little of them playing.
That's the problem....we would need to bring in a keeper if Ruddy left....and with our spaces for foreign players limited in the squad, he would probably have to be homegrown....are we gonna get better than Ruddy... probably not...

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 30-35, knowing that any season at a Premier League club could be my last, my family’s financial security is THE ONLY factor I’d have in my head.
Screw playing in the Championship for half the wedge or less. I’d challenge anyone who thinks they wouldn’t consider their own family’s needs.

Agree completely - plus he is only a heartbeat from playing if Sa gets injured / sent off

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Championship slog on lower wages in crappy grounds getting elbowed at corners, or being 1 injury away from playing in the matches every player wants to play in?

And the difficulty is, who do you get in, if not a keeper who has played at the top level, but is not quite what he was? Any half decent up and coming keeper will want to be playing regularly, or go out on loan.

T

TheConcourse

Championship slog on lower wages in crappy grounds getting elbowed at corners, or being 1 injury away from playing in the matches every player wants to play in?

And the difficulty is, who do you get in, if not a keeper who has played at the top level, but is not quite what he was? Any half decent up and coming keeper will want to be playing regularly, or go out on loan.
Exactly. Even City have problems with their number 2.. it’s probably only Liverpool that have real confidence in their second keeper.

Chelsea don’t.
United don’t.
City don’t.

It’s a bit of a strange role for someone to play.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares?

Bar an injury to Sa he's going to play the odd cup game at most. 30k a week to be good around the club? Nice work if you can get

A monumental waste of money.

Last edited:

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares?

Bar an injury to Sa he's going to play the odd cup game at most. 30k a week to be good around the club? Nice work if you can get

Probably true.
But there is also a chance Sa does get injured and the second choice has to play most the season, it’s not like outfield players you can shift around.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably true.
But there is also a chance Sa does get injured and the second choice has to play most the season, it’s not like outfield players you can shift around.

There is but it's fairly unlikely. I really don't feel like we need to spend those sort of wages on a keeper who's played what 2 league games since 2018?

It's far from a major issue though.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
3 options I reckon:

: Re-sign Ruddy.
: Let Ruddy go and put faith in Sarkic as backup.
: Let Ruddy go and sign a new backup.

I think option one is probably the easiest (not saying it’s the right one btw). Sarkic is a gamble with his lack of experience and injury issues, and bringing someone in from outside might be good but could backfire too.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is Sarkic better?

I’d trust one of the under 18s over ruddy

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who cares?

Okay, so a quick calculation. We bin Ruddy off and end up having to sign another keeper, Premier League ready.
Let’s say optimistically we get a keeper in for £3.6m for three years. Without wages, that’s £23k a week…and what would his wage be, another £10k a week?

Yet we have a keeper in-situ, that’s quite happy with his role and a rolling 12 month contract on supposedly £8k a week.

I’m glad you’re not in charge of our finances.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay, so a quick calculation. We bin Ruddy off and end up having to sign another keeper, Premier League ready.
Let’s say optimistically we get a keeper in for £3.6m for three years. Without wages, that’s £23k a week…and what would his wage be, another £10k a week?

Yet we have a keeper in-situ, that’s quite happy with his role and a rolling 12 month contract on supposedly £8k a week.

I’m glad you’re not in charge of our finances.

Do you know mate you can make a perfectly valid and good point as you have without including some sly dig at the end of it.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get it about the money and can’t honestly say I’d do differently (although I’m pretty sure his family would get by on 500k a year in the championship).

Just think it’s a shame when a 31 year old keeper becomes a glorified cheer leader for 4 years.

As I say I’d probably do the same in his position.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Hot Fuss - I would like to think that Ruddy is more than a cheer leader, I hope he is working with Sa, pushing him hard and also working with our younger keepers and helping them develop

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Hot Fuss - I would like to think that Ruddy is more than a cheer leader, I hope he is working with Sa, pushing him hard and also working with our younger keepers and helping them develop
I hope so to and I know he’s a good character. Nothing personal, just think that he’s earned plenty of money since promotion (5 million before tax?) and maybe he should go and play while he’s got a few years left?

Very difficult for reserve keepers I suppose, I don’t think Ruddys been particularly good in the cups but he’s hardly playing any games to prepare which can’t be easy.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I look at his cup performances goals let in are his fault Stoke game other season and Norwich this season pure basics as a keeper I want to keep him around but if we want a cup run we need someone better. Would make an amazing coach though

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So I look at his cup performances goals let in are his fault Stoke game other season and Norwich this season pure basics as a keeper I want to keep him around but if we want a cup run we need someone better. Would make an amazing coach though

Goalkeeping wise, I think we need to upgrade, but bringing someone in who will be no2 with very limited playing time will not be easy. Sarkic is an option, but apparently Birmingham City want to sign him on a permanent deal. I agree regarding coaching. Ruddy is clearly a good influence at the club, and maybe Bruno can find him a coaching role.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goalkeeping wise, I think we need to upgrade, but bringing someone in who will be no2 with very limited playing time will not be easy. Sarkic is an option, but apparently Birmingham City want to sign him on a permanent deal. I agree regarding coaching. Ruddy is clearly a good influence at the club, and maybe Bruno can find him a coaching role.
Birmingham may wish to sign Sarkic. That doesn't mean that we have to agree particularly since Blues don't have a pot to pee in so doubtless would offer us buttons.

Back
Top Bottom