Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John Ruddy - Talking Wolves Interview

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Haven't seen this mentioned yet but the guys at Talking Wolves have put up a really interesting interview with John Ruddy.

Loved the story regarding Nuno and Rui Silva getting the beers for the coach home from Cardiff. John's comments regarding Jeff Shi's handling of his exit and Lage's man management are very telling as well.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Had a little moan at Nuno’s timing at telling him he wouldn’t be playing when Rui came in
Had a moan at Bruno’s man management, mainly different style to nuno, less approachable. Bruno would let the know if he wasn’t happy, whereas nuno gave them the silent treatment.
Said the timing for Nuno leaving was very odd, but the players knew that something was happening he hadn’t been himself then he called them to a meeting after the Everton game to tell them he was going.
he was told that wolves would take up the option on his contract, but then the next day they rescinded, Bruno and Scott wanted to keep him, but Jeff pulled the plug, he was told at the last game of the season, ironically then was called on to play.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really good interview. Up there with Edwards’ interview of Neves last season.

Good, thoughtful questions and straight-up and honest answers from Big John Ruddy.

Some nice anecdotes and reminiscences (Cardiff and Bristol City away in the promotion season, Europa League campaign) as well some regrets (the FA Cup semi-final being the big one and not making 100 points)

Interesting stuff on Patricio and Sa and some interesting insights into Nuno too

Disappointing to hear that Ruddy’s exit was handled shabbily. He deserved better than that.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No surprise another hint that Bruno hasn't got the best man management.

Very much a coach.

Doesn't try and befriend his players and it runs up some characters, I think Traore is another one who doesn't mesh well with Bruno.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

Very much a coach.

Doesn't try and befriend his players and it runs up some characters, I think Traore is another one who doesn't mesh well with Bruno.
I suspect that Bruno is one of those managers (and I've had them in my career) that has high expectations and clearly communicates them--no sugarcoating or kids' gloves--and you don't have to wonder what he's thinking. If you work hard and do your best everyday (like he does), then he won't have a problem with you. You can see this from the very first interview: very passionate and knowledgeable, very open, no BS. While you have to have tougher skin to work under these types of leaders, you also have a better opportunity to grow and succeed. In today's world and with the pro athlete, I can see how this style might rub people the wrong way; but, I've always appreciated the straight shooter over the politically correct, nicey nice types.

I actually think that he's a brilliant coach and knows what he's doing on the training pitch. If he gets some of the right players in the right spots, then I really believe that we'll see some exciting, attacking football.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think he should have been kept on at all. he should have left to play rather than be happy sitting on the bench
Did you watch it? He covers precisely this. He wanted to leave to get first time football, club had an option though and a few months before the end of the season he was told they were going to activate it only for Jeff to veto it the day before the Liverpool game at the end of the season. He was annoyed at being lied to, not that they didn't keep him on.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Did you watch it? He covers precisely this. He wanted to leave to get first time football, club had an option though and a few months before the end of the season he was told they were going to activate it only for Jeff to veto it the day before the Liverpool game at the end of the season. He was annoyed at being lied to, not that they didn't keep him on.
Yes I listened to it see post #2

I didn’t think that they should have offered the extension in the first instance, that was t the point , of course it’s bad that’ once they had they changed their mind.

He knew he wasn’t going to play but was happy enough to sit on the bench and pick up millions

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worrying that apparently both Bruno & Sellars were in favour of keeping Ruddy for another season but decision not to renew was taken by Shi !!!
I think it is quite obvious that player incoming and outgoing are planned and decided by Jeff. I think Bruno may know the list of tracked players, but that's as far as he is involved. It was the same under Nuno and will be the same under the next manager. As if any manager had any influence the squad wouldn'be left so unbalanced on multiple occasions

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect that Bruno is one of those managers (and I've had them in my career) that has high expectations and clearly communicates them--no sugarcoating or kids' gloves--and you don't have to wonder what he's thinking. If you work hard and do your best everyday (like he does), then he won't have a problem with you. You can see this from the very first interview: very passionate and knowledgeable, very open, no BS. While you have to have tougher skin to work under these types of leaders, you also have a better opportunity to grow and succeed. In today's world and with the pro athlete, I can see how this style might rub people the wrong way; but, I've always appreciated the straight shooter over the politically correct, nicey nice types.

I actually think that he's a brilliant coach and knows what he's doing on the training pitch. If he gets some of the right players in the right spots, then I really believe that we'll see some exciting, attacking football.
Truly great managers in any field adapt to the individual they are dealing with by understanding their personality, what makes them tick etc.
This one size fits all stuff makes me shudder. That’s not managing. It’s dictating.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very much a coach.

We did okay under Bill McGarry first stint.
Players need to concentrate on playing football.
It´s not like Fergie was soft all the time.

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I didn’t think that they should have offered the extension in the first instance, that was t the point , of course it’s bad that’ once they had they changed their mind.

He knew he wasn’t going to play but was happy enough to sit on the bench and pick up millions
Not really.

If the club took up the extension there was nothing he could have done.

Only way he would have been able to leave was by on loan or another club buying him which wasn’t going to happen.

Had the club taken the extension Ruddy would have been tied to another year whether he wanted to leave or not. Literally nothing he could do. At his age you would have to mentally prepare yourself, make plans for family, living arrangements etc.

Not a case of just sitting there happy to take millions … he wanted to play but had wolves taken that option his hands were tied.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re your last para if the club exercised the option his only way of getting away would have been to demand a transfer (or a loan).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is quite obvious that player incoming and outgoing are planned and decided by Jeff. I think Bruno may know the list of tracked players, but that's as far as he is involved. It was the same under Nuno and will be the same under the next manager. As if any manager had any influence the squad wouldn'be left so unbalanced on multiple occasions
Not the first time that l've pointed out that we don't have a manager (and haven't had for years, l think Mick may well have been the last), we have a head coach.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Interesting as a lot of the talk on here last Summer was how much softer and more personable Bruno was/is than Nuno.

Seem to recall Conor speaking very effusively of him too.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting as a lot of the talk on here last Summer was how much softer and more personable Bruno was/is than Nuno.

A head coach/manager can get away with that while they get results. As soon as they don't they are toast.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neves in his interview said he called Joao Felix to ask about Bruno, when he knew he'd been appointed and Felix said to him: "You'll love to work with him", and then Neves went to praise him as well.
Ruddy was quite positive as well just 4 months ago:

"Bruno has come in and has been exceptional from day one. The tactical side and coaching aspect has been brilliant.

“He’s very hands-on, very emotional positively and negatively when we’re doing well and when we’re not doing what he wants us to do. The messages are clear, everybody knows what is expected."

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can read Joe harts character assassination of nuno, his man management and his training methods and dismiss it or believe depending on your view of nuno
Indeed. I think that Hart has previous though.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worrying that apparently both Bruno & Sellars were in favour of keeping Ruddy for another season but decision not to renew was taken by Shi !!!

I don't think that's really worrying, it's sensible. We know Ruddy was decent but he made a few mistakes and is at the tail end of his career, certainly not a full-time premier league goalkeeper anymore. So why would we keep him playing in the reserves, he won't learn anything new or develop further, he's just keeping fit?

If we want to give opportunities to younger players we need to keep bringing them through and getting them ready by giving them the experience...and that means playing them every week at a higher standard in the reserves. And if Sa should go for a fee (which Ruddy wouldn't command) , we would have income and hopefully a younger replacement with similar potential ready to come in.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
View attachment 29429

Surely it can’t be long before he appoints himself as the head coach?
For me, it is like Jeff is the Club Manager and Bruno is the Head Coach.
I see Scott as the Chief Scout who recommends players to Jeff on Bruno's Wants List for him to evaluate with all three men conferring.
Personally, I prefer an old fashioned Manager like John Barnwell who decided and found players he wanted, then asked the Board if he could sign them.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
You can read Joe harts character assassination of nuno, his man management and his training methods and dismiss it or believe depending on your view of nuno
I think there's a correct way to treat human beings and whilst I don't think Nuno is perfect, I have very little sympathy with Joe Hart here. I've pasted the interview with Hart below. Nuno told him he was surplus to requirements and wouldn't play a minute while he is manager. Fine, but Hart didn't want to leave it there and asked Nuno for his reasons. He said, as a former goalkeeper can you give me your reasons, "SPEAK FREELY." So Nuno did speak freely and then Hart got upset about it. If he didn't want to hear what Nuno really thought he shouldn't have pushed it further and asked Nuno to speak freely.

Interview with Hart below:

Former Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Joe Hart has revealed why he left the club for Scottish giants Celtic last summer.

Hart spent just one season with the Lillywhites, registering a total of 10 appearances for the club before former manager Nuno Espirito Santo told him he had no future with the north Londoners. Speaking about his exit from N17 on In The Stiffs podcast, he said: "There was a big change going on at Tottenham.

"They needed a lot of people out and a lot of people in. [Nuno] proceeded to call me in. I knew they were signing another goalkeeper and I was like: 'Do we need to have a conversation?' He said that we'd speak after training.

"He was like: 'I'll speak first. Let's be absolutely clear, no matter what happens, you'll not kick a ball this year.

"I had got on really well at the club, people had bought into what I was trying to bring and I was like: 'Right, okay.' He said you'll be free to work with the sporting director to get yourself out. However you want to play it, play it.

"I said just out of interest, remove yourself from the situation, you used to be a goalkeeper, why has it come to this? Why have I gone from being whoever I was to being completely surplus to requirements in a squad, to not even being able to back up the first-choice? Speak freely.

"He just went: 'In my opinion, we all reach a point in our career where the body won't allow you to play football. We're at it now. I would not feel comfortable with you playing one minute for me. The ball's too quick for you, you're too old, you're not moving, you've got no strength in your body.'

"He literally buried me and I'm laughing because, whether I'm deluded or not, I was like, I don't agree with any of that. I asked for your opinion, you have given it, it's not what I wanted to hear and I am going to have to take myself out of this situation.

"I literally went home and I am completely baffled here, I think I'm done, I can't be (expletive) anymore. I can't sit in a room anymore and have that said to me by him."

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there's a correct way to treat human beings and whilst I don't think Nuno is perfect, I have very little sympathy with Joe Hart here. I've pasted the interview with Hart below. Nuno told him he was surplus to requirements and wouldn't play a minute while he is manager. Fine, but Hart didn't want to leave it there and asked Nuno for his reasons. He said, as a former goalkeeper can you give me your reasons, "SPEAK FREELY." So Nuno did speak freely and then Hart got upset about it. If he didn't want to hear what Nuno really thought he shouldn't have pushed it further and asked Nuno to speak freely.

Interview with Hart below:

Former Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Joe Hart has revealed why he left the club for Scottish giants Celtic last summer.

Hart spent just one season with the Lillywhites, registering a total of 10 appearances for the club before former manager Nuno Espirito Santo told him he had no future with the north Londoners. Speaking about his exit from N17 on In The Stiffs podcast, he said: "There was a big change going on at Tottenham.

"They needed a lot of people out and a lot of people in. [Nuno] proceeded to call me in. I knew they were signing another goalkeeper and I was like: 'Do we need to have a conversation?' He said that we'd speak after training.

"He was like: 'I'll speak first. Let's be absolutely clear, no matter what happens, you'll not kick a ball this year.

"I had got on really well at the club, people had bought into what I was trying to bring and I was like: 'Right, okay.' He said you'll be free to work with the sporting director to get yourself out. However you want to play it, play it.

"I said just out of interest, remove yourself from the situation, you used to be a goalkeeper, why has it come to this? Why have I gone from being whoever I was to being completely surplus to requirements in a squad, to not even being able to back up the first-choice? Speak freely.

"He just went: 'In my opinion, we all reach a point in our career where the body won't allow you to play football. We're at it now. I would not feel comfortable with you playing one minute for me. The ball's too quick for you, you're too old, you're not moving, you've got no strength in your body.'

"He literally buried me and I'm laughing because, whether I'm deluded or not, I was like, I don't agree with any of that. I asked for your opinion, you have given it, it's not what I wanted to hear and I am going to have to take myself out of this situation.

"I literally went home and I am completely baffled here, I think I'm done, I can't be (expletive) anymore. I can't sit in a room anymore and have that said to me by him."
He obviously hadn’t got the hint as he was bounced out of every other club from Pep arriving at Man City. Perhaps a bit of reflection by him might have come to a conclusion that whilst harsh there maybe a semblance of truth.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like the final decision was mainly a financial one I guess. More than enough 2nd/3rd choice keepers so lose one, Others younger and value may increase, Ruddy out of contract so save on wages. Poor that it was late on he was told and after first indication that they were going to keep him

Ragnar

Reaction score
I have been more than critical of some of the decisions the club has made over recent years but there isn't much wrong here for me.

Lage and Sellars might have wanted to keep him and the idea may have been to trigger the option but things change unfortunately. Ruddy says they informed him that they had changed their mind before the final game of the season, which again seems fine. Things aren't fixed in football and situations change. Ruddy went into the Summer with a full pre season knowing he was a free agent and needed to find a club. It's not like they had drawn up a new deal waved it in front of his nose and then withdrew it - it was an option in the **Clubs** favor.

We all hear about different clubs struggling to make finances available for transfers due to different things and a good example is Leicester who are running 105% wages to turnover ratio - Wolves decided to trim some players from the squad that weren't going to be starters and would have been on too much money to be bench warming. I can guarantee that Sarkic is on less than half of the wage Ruddy was on, so we have replaced a keeper who was 36 and whenever called upon in the cups, invariably ended up chucking one in, for a Championship clubs POTS and saved a chunk in wages whilst doing so.

As I say plenty of things to be annoyed at the club for, in recent times but this isn't one of them.

Back
Top Bottom