Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John De Wolf on this day 25 years ago

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loved him trolling Chris Waddle in the penalty shoot out v Wednesday.

Exchanged words as he made his way back to the centre circle and Waddle was on his way to missing another spot kick.

Wonder what he said?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Abiding memory was bumping into him (not literally) at the Chinese takeaway in Compton after a Wolves game (he was injured so didn’t play). I was wearing a Wolves shirt (he was somewhat strangely perhaps wearing what appeared to be a kimono). He asked me the score, which I found a bit strange, expecting he might have followed the game on the radio. Good player.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Proper footballer, not a nancy boy like so many are today,
D9xAk-qXkAAXmHE.jpg
can't imagine him down the nail bar somehow.

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is important. I hate thread titles of just names, as I always think the worst.

My first thought here was, "not John, please not John"
It’s not important, it’s damn right pathetic.
The only forum I go on that people think they need to write “not dead” after a name.
****ing grow up.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I wonder how many defenders have scored Three goals in a game

madwolf

Reaction score
Loved the report. ‘while Wolves continued to pussy foot at the back’. Golden.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Loved him trolling Chris Waddle in the penalty shoot out v Wednesday.

Exchanged words as he made his way back to the centre circle and Waddle was on his way to missing another spot kick.

Wonder what he said?
Apparently he said something along the lines of ‘You take penalties like a girl’ I remember one of the players saying it in an article.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many defenders have scored Three goals in a game

Which defenders have scored hat-tricks from open play? | The Knowledge

“How many defenders have scored a hat-trick from open play?” asks Jack Tanner.

Not that many, is the short answer, if our pretty extensive search is anything to go by, Jack. There are few defenders who have achieved the feat with the aid of a penalty, Denis Irwin, Fernando Hierro and – bizarrely – Gary Gillespie among them. And then we move on to examples of defenders who achieved the feat from open play but not while playing in a defensive position. For some reason we can’t fathom, Steve Staunton, a left-back for most of his career, leapt off the bench to score a second-half hat-trick for Liverpool at Wigan in the League Cup in October 1989, but he replaced Ian Rush in a forward position. No defender has scored a hat-trick in the Premier League, though Steve Watson, converted from a full-back into an attacking midfielder by David Moyes at Everton, did the trick in a 4-0 win over Leeds in 2003 so is about as close as it gets (Irwin’s Manchester United hat-trick came in Europe).

But if we want a perfect example to answer the question, how about goal-plundering centre-back Aden Flint, who scored three goals from open play for Bristol City in an extraordinary 8-2 walloping of beach-bound Walsall on 3 May 2015, as City celebrated winning League One in style. Flint’s goals consisted of a volley, an insouciant back-heel/rabona finish (obviously) and a close-range tap-in. “I said to the strikers at the end of the game that they should be ashamed of themselves when someone like Aden has gone out there and scored three,” cackled manager Steve Cotterill. Flint scored 15 in total for the season. No wonder Middlesbrough forked out £7m for him.

Former central defender and current conservative politician Alpay Özalan scored three goals from open play for Turkey during 2002 World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia,” writes Önder Susam. “The then-Aston Villa player scored two headers and poked one into the empty net, which was from an offside position. Those were his only goals for Turkey in any official game. I wish he was remembered for this rather than his antics against Portugal in Euro 2000 or his shambolic defending against Switzerland in a 2006 World Cup play-off.

Oh, and Stan van den Buijs scored a hat-trick for Anderlecht in January 1995. The trouble is, he was playing for Germinal Ekeren, the poor chap.

However, Bernd Jatzwauk has unearthed a four-goal gem from the Bundesliga. Bernard Dietz scored four goals as a defender for MSV Duisburg against Bayern Munich on 5 November 1977. They came in the 20th, 49th, 75th and 78th minutes in the 6-3 win. He went on to become the most prolific goalscoring defender in the history of the Bundesliga with 77 goals. None appear to have been penalties or free-kicks."

Obviously their 'extensive search' failed to include John de Wolf's effort!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there, kicked off in Burslem if I recall too

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder how he'd get on against Jack?

You couldn't get 2 footballers more unalike than DeWolf and greasy Jack you really couldn't. A guy called DeWolf was born to play for us, wish he was here now on the backroom staff.
I remember seeing him coming out of the Mol after a night match in the snow and he was wearing open toed sandals and no socks and it was snowing.

Last edited:

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not that many, is the short answer, if our pretty extensive search is anything to go by, Jack. There are few defenders who have achieved the feat with the aid of a penalty, Denis Irwin, Fernando Hierro and – bizarrely – Gary Gillespie among them. And then we move on to examples of defenders who achieved the feat from open play but not while playing in a defensive position. For some reason we can’t fathom, Steve Staunton, a left-back for most of his career, leapt off the bench to score a second-half hat-trick for Liverpool at Wigan in the League Cup in October 1989, but he replaced Ian Rush in a forward position. No defender has scored a hat-trick in the Premier League, though Steve Watson, converted from a full-back into an attacking midfielder by David Moyes at Everton, did the trick in a 4-0 win over Leeds in 2003 so is about as close as it gets (Irwin’s Manchester United hat-trick came in Europe).

But if we want a perfect example to answer the question, how about goal-plundering centre-back Aden Flint, who scored three goals from open play for Bristol City in an extraordinary 8-2 walloping of beach-bound Walsall on 3 May 2015, as City celebrated winning League One in style. Flint’s goals consisted of a volley, an insouciant back-heel/rabona finish (obviously) and a close-range tap-in. “I said to the strikers at the end of the game that they should be ashamed of themselves when someone like Aden has gone out there and scored three,” cackled manager Steve Cotterill. Flint scored 15 in total for the season. No wonder Middlesbrough forked out £7m for him.

Former central defender and current conservative politician Alpay Özalan scored three goals from open play for Turkey during 2002 World Cup qualifiers against Macedonia,” writes Önder Susam. “The then-Aston Villa player scored two headers and poked one into the empty net, which was from an offside position. Those were his only goals for Turkey in any official game. I wish he was remembered for this rather than his antics against Portugal in Euro 2000 or his shambolic defending against Switzerland in a 2006 World Cup play-off.

Oh, and Stan van den Buijs scored a hat-trick for Anderlecht in January 1995. The trouble is, he was playing for Germinal Ekeren, the poor chap.

However, Bernd Jatzwauk has unearthed a four-goal gem from the Bundesliga. Bernard Dietz scored four goals as a defender for MSV Duisburg against Bayern Munich on 5 November 1977. They came in the 20th, 49th, 75th and 78th minutes in the 6-3 win. He went on to become the most prolific goalscoring defender in the history of the Bundesliga with 77 goals. None appear to have been penalties or free-kicks."

Open play pal, one was a penalty.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there, kicked off in Burslem if I recall too
Didn't it always. I remember watching running battles down the main street through the centre from the relative safety of the kebab shop on a couple of occasions.

Lovely part of the world is Burslem.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly think he was over rated. Only played 20 odd games and got torn to bits at Reading in a 4-2 defeat.
Personally think if he’d had a short back and sides and been called John Smith he’d have been forgotten.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember the day well. Everyone thought Bully was still injured, massive buzz when his name got read out.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my Wolves all time hero's hence my username ;) I remember well that hat-trick at Port Vale..
I remember looking up the last Wolves centre half /defender to get 3 goals was around 1910 or 1920's I think?

Ted Pheasant

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I liked hm but his injuries took their toll.What I didn’t like was when he refused to play in a Reserve game

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not important, it’s damn right pathetic.
The only forum I go on that people think they need to write “not dead” after a name.
****ing grow up.

How difficult is it to just write for a title "John De Wolf anniversary" or "John De Wolf hatrick". This is the only forum I go on where posters can't be ***** to minimally express the thread subject in the title.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm confused, is he dead or not? I'm not capable of clicking into a thread and I see a name and just assume that person is a goner. it's hell for me each week when the team is announced.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Ian Harte scored a hat trick of free kicks didn't he?

Back
Top Bottom