Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Palhinha & Mendes

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Palhinha was instrumental in withdrawing dividends and re-valuing an asset that Sporting can put in this closed season. The performance in the League of Nations can facilitate a transfer of the athlete, who despite being happy with the leonine project and even privileging the family aspect - he will be a father for the first time -, is attentive to a possible proposal that may arise from England. Tottenham is one of the desired clubs, however Spurs have distanced themselves from the player in recent weeks and Bruno Lage's Wolverhampton will be the main interested: Rúben Neves is leaving the club; João Moutinho has not yet renewed for Wolves and Dendoncker is followed by Lazio and a possible sale of the Belgian would allow the entry of more than 20 million that
could be used to reformulate the brains of the English.
At the beginning of December, João Palhinha was the sixth athlete of the club to renew during the season. He has a contract until 2026, but the release clause remained at 60 million euros. Sporting would only start a negotiation from 30 million euros.

We definitely need to reformulate our brains

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Breaks my heart this. When we spent money on Fabio and semedo what we really needed was a bit of aggression and bite in midfield. Why oh why didn't they see this after Seville?
They did but Uncle Jorge chose that window call in his favours.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still get stomach ache when thinking about Kilman in that one game he played in a four, Southampton at home in the Nuno COVID-19 era. Think we drew 1-1 but crikey the ball got popped behind him about four times and Southampton missed some sitters. Believe him and Boly played together.

Two new centre halves needed if we go to a four, probably. So we'll be playing 343 next season!
Interesting ... I’ve got the same doubts as to whether any of our current centre halves are ready to play in a Premier League back 4.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They did but Uncle Jorge chose that window call in his favours.
And I wonder if that caused a relationship issue from then on. Those were important costly decisions.,

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I wonder if that caused a relationship issue from then on. Those were important costly decisions.,
I’ve never slagged off Fabio and have grown to appreciate Semedo but at the time there is no denying that £60m spent in the midfield and defence would have cemented another European challenge, 100%.

*not legislating for the Raul injury.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, he's the big, physical, imposing ball winning midfielder we need.
If we move to 4 at the back you need 2 all rounder midfielders to cover in front of the 2 CBs. But also to be able to drive the team forward and be decent passers. How do other people think we need for our CM 2 or 3? Definitely have to be more mobile than Neves-Moutinho, and better passer than Donk.

Would be pretty happy with Rafa Silva, Palhinha and a faster, mobile CB.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of being 'perfect' together you could argue they both lack some pace. Palhinha and a quicker b2b CM who can break the lines with the neves money (+some change) could be good business. Nico Gonzalez looks very good.
I agree, and I like the look of Nico, but he ain't quick either. Young good engine/b2b midfielder, but not going to carry the ball and break lines.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m all for Palhinha but he’s still not the athletic, mobile midfielder we need.

You say he’s not athletic or mobile, yet from the UCL games he featured in this season, Palhinha ranked in the top 1% of pressures completed against all midfielders that play in one of the top 5 leagues or European competitions. Just under 33 pressures p/90, for comparison Ruben & Joao only manage 37 pressures p/90 between them.

He’s the perfect player to protect the defence, win the ball back, play it simple and get us back under control in matches. With regards to mobility, the only thing he wouldn’t bring is being able to truly progress play forwards or drive us up the pitch with the ball, that type of player would be in the mould of a Matheus Nunes/Renato Sanches etc. which I do agree is something we lack at present.

17miles

Reaction score
You say he’s not athletic or mobile, yet from the UCL games he featured in this season, Palhinha ranked in the top 1% of pressures completed against all midfielders that play in one of the top 5 leagues or European competitions. Just under 33 pressures p/90, for comparison Ruben & Joao only manage 37 pressures p/90 between them.

He’s the perfect player to protect the defence, win the ball back, play it simple and get us back under control in matches. With regards to mobility, the only thing he wouldn’t bring is being able to truly progress play forwards or drive us up the pitch with the ball, that type of player would be in the mould of a Matheus Nunes/Renato Sanches etc. which I do agree is something we lack at present.
Great assessment of what we need

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Spot on, it’s who you place with him the key. I can see us trying to go 4-2-3-1. He would slot into this formation, it’s the attacking 4 players who need to have the mobility

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, and I like the look of Nico, but he ain't quick either. Young good engine/b2b midfielder, but not going to carry the ball and break lines.
Disagree there. Nico is pretty quick for a central midfielder, and also pretty good at carrying the ball.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree there. Nico is pretty quick for a central midfielder, and also pretty good at carrying the ball.
Only seen him on YouTube, but seems an intelligent footballer, with decent pace.
We've definitely lacked mobility and pace since we were found out under last year of Nunoball.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he would be the Neves replacement unfortunately.

Said before that he appears to be top of the scouting list as our Neves replacement. Different player, but fits the role that Neves has largely been assigned in our team in the PL.

My preference would be to keep Neves and have him play slightly further forward like he used to in the Champ and where his unique talents are strongest, but with the benefit of someone stronger like Palhinha as the defensive central midfielder. Retain Moutinho as cover, largely from the bench later in games, for both another season while our younger players build their strength and experience to be rotated. MGW could play ahead of central defence linking play in attack, and overlapping with Neves.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said before that he appears to be top of the scouting list as our Neves replacement. Different player, but fits the role that Neves has largely been assigned in our team in the PL.

My preference would be to keep Neves and have him play slightly further forward like he used to in the Champ and where his unique talents are strongest, but with the benefit of someone stronger like Palhinha as the defensive central midfielder. Retain Moutinho as cover, largely from the bench later in games, for both another season while our younger players build their strength and experience to be rotated. MGW could play ahead of central defence linking play in attack, and overlapping with Neves.
I’d be happy with that.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Didn’t he dominate midfield against us for Braga at Molineux? Totally agree with your assessment.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was me thinking we battered them and they got lucky. Am I getting my games mixed up?
That was away. Somehow surrendering the 1-3 lead after it could have been more to us.
They did a job on us at Molineux.
Hardworking, canny, patient and quality in possession. A Poundland version of the Sevilla defeat if you will.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TBF if you have a midfield of Palinha and Moutinho you're gonna need a Donk in there

R

reanswolf

There was me thinking we battered them and they got lucky. Am I getting my games mixed up?
Yes mate, he was superb for Braga against us, getting up and down the field, on the ball, tackling Traore on the wing (can yo imagine Donk getting even near him to do that?).

Danger is, that was one game, hard to assess on one game, but as me and Tring said at the time, he really stood out.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No mate, if you have a midfield of Palhinha and Mouts, the last thing you need is a Donk in there, you need a Neves.

That would be too passive, you need some one who can move a bit, put in a tackle and get forward.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, he's the big, physical, imposing ball winning midfielder we need.
So we still need somebody mobile in there as well. Although we needed 2 midfielders even before Neves goes so probably 3 now.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Great post. I’m just saying that, with the current midfielders, we will need to sign somebody else to play with him and bring out the best… assuming Neves is gone and we go 4321.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was away. Somehow surrendering the 1-3 lead after it could have been more to us.
They did a job on us at Molineux.
Hardworking, canny, patient and quality in possession. A Poundland version of the Sevilla defeat if you will.
I dunno. The sevilla defeat was because Sevilla completely dominated us in terms of posession, and we got bored of defending and made a mistake right at the death.

Braga's win was slightly against the run of play. We had the ball, they countered. With quality, but I didn't see braga running the show.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We need Nico Gonzalez on loan really....have a look at him...

I'll be honest -and this may just be me- I don't want another talented young potential on loan. I want us to sign them, straight up. I would argue the season-long-loan has been part of the problem with both Vitinha and Trincao. We get them in, take some looks at them, and at a certain point in the season decide they're not going to cut it and they fade into the background because we have the safety net of sending them back. To develop them really would mean committing to seeing it through and developing them. I wish we'd just bought Vitinha, no loan. Same with Trincao. Then dug in for the long haul to develop them. If we're after Nico, I hope it's to sign him fully and then commit.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dunno. The sevilla defeat was because Sevilla completely dominated us in terms of posession, and we got bored of defending and made a mistake right at the death.

Braga's win was slightly against the run of play. We had the ball, they countered. With quality, but I didn't see braga running the show.
Yeah we had 60% possession, you do realise about 40% of that was our back 5 knocking it sideways.

Back
Top Bottom