Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Palhinha & Mendes

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Palhinha would definitely gives us the aggression we are missing in midfield...he hasn't got the passing range of neves but makes up for it with physicality and aggression...and is decent in the air.....

I think a midfield 2 of palhinha and Nico Gonzalez would definitely give a back 4 more protection than mouthiho and neves .....I also think if we keep mouthiho and add Gibbs and maybe Rafa Silva we would also have better options for a midfield 3 than at present....

Palhinha, Nico Gonzalez n Rafa Silva could all be added with no net spend....neves n donk to leave ..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Palhinha would definitely gives us the aggression we are missing in midfield...he hasn't got the passing range of neves but makes up for it with physicality and aggression...and is decent in the air.....

I think a midfield 2 of palhinha and Nico Gonzalez would definitely give a back 4 more protection than mouthiho and neves .....I also think of we keep mouthiho and add Gibbs and maybe Rafa Silva we would also have better options for a midfield 3 tham at present....

Palhinha, Nico Gonzalez n Rafa Silva could all be added with no net spend....neves n donk to leave ..
Rafa Silva is far more of a winger than a CM in a 3. Far, far more.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafa Silva is far more of a winger than a CM in a 3. Far, far more.
Rafa could definitely play where donk and trincao has this season.....both have been inside forward role, more than wide....same as Gibbs ......with 5 at the back...our wide forwards under lage don't play as wingers , like they did under Nuno....Way more inside ..the width is wing backs......whereas with Nuno the wingbacks played inside and the wide forward played outside....

I also meant using Rafa n Gibbs as midfield ball carriers as such if we played a back 4.....with palhinha n Nico Gonzalez sitting....

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rafa could definitely play where donk and trincao has this season.....both have been inside forward role, more than wide....same as Gibbs ......with 5 at the back...our wide forwards under lage don't play as wingers , like they did under Nuno....Way more inside ..the width is wing backs......whereas with Nuno the wingbacks played inside and the wide forward played outside....

I also meant using Rafa n Gibbs as midfield ball carriers as such if we played a back 4.....with palhinha n Nico Gonzalez sitting....

Are you thinking of Pizzi because Rafa Silva very much a winger

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What he brings over Donk is not being scared of the ball, and some actual aggression in ball-winning.
Sometimes Donk looks like a proper defensive midfielder, others he chases them around and rather apologetically asks for the ball back.
But I still don't see how that added aggression deals with the problem we have had this season, which is not creating enough chances/ scoring enough goals.
I don't see how having a snotter, a fairly deep sitting one is going to change that, unless we use it to free up an extra person going forward.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I still don't see how that added aggression deals with the problem we have had this season, which is not creating enough chances/ scoring enough goals.
I don't see how having a snotter, a fairly deep sitting one is going to change that, unless we use it to free up an extra person going forward.
Yes, it is about team blend and balance.
Right now we have 3 midfielders. 2 of which great passers of the ball, but slow and don’t dribble. So inevitably get bypassed or pushed back.
The other is a snotter that doesn’t snot, or dribble, or pass with any confidence.
It’s hard to make a balanced midfield from them as we’ve seen. Make it easy for them and Neves-Mouts pass a team in knots, but their weaknesses aren’t covered or balanced by partners with different skill sets, so they’re easily countered.

Palinha isn’t quick, but I’ve definitely seen him drive with the ball, pass it around confidently, and be an aggressive ball winner.
That leaves a lot of wriggle room in terms of partner and shape.
Static passers like Neves or Moutinho would work, maybe in a 4231. They can concentrate on penetrative passing with more of the defensive heavy lifting covered, with the option of Palinha breaking forward, resisting press.
He could probably (if a little slow) be the base of a 433. That leaves lots of scope for the other 2 (like Citeh can with Rodri).

I’m resigned to Neves going, good luck to him.
If a portion of his fee goes on this guy I’d be happy. A player like that gives you options on how to rebuild the midfield and style of play.
We don’t have that atm.
Same as Sa allowed the defence to play a little higher, but still needs different attributes in the CBs to further evolve/play even higher.
That would help the midfield…it’s all cogs in the machine.
Liverpool and City are nigh on invincible, because they buy the best players: that fit the system.
The dippers in particular are a lesson in cohesive squad/system building.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing how a more serious national journo says something of substance about a very good player, but here and twitter is still full of sellars and shi should do one

Looks like there is a plan, well done wolves
Jorge will always have a plan...the only question is have we got the funds to do it ....more funds, bigger plan....

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing how a more serious national journo says something of substance about a very good player, but here and twitter is still full of sellars and shi should do one

Looks like there is a plan, well done wolves
Indeed! and this guy would be the key man to finally see us go back to a back 4... we've all been pretty envious watching the top sides attack at will with 433 or something similar and protect our CB's in a way they haven't had since we went to a back 5... the key to unlocking the full potential of the likes of MGW... get this one in and it would do a hell of a lot to lift the mood and convince people of our direction

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Indeed! and this guy would be the key man to finally see us go back to a back 4... we've all been pretty envious watching the top sides attack at will with 433 or something similar and protect our CB's in a way they haven't had since we went to a back 5... the key to unlocking the full potential of the likes of MGW... get this one in and it would do a hell of a lot to lift the mood and convince people of our direction
4 at the back isn't for every game. Some games require 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. It's not a one size fits all league. 5 sub rule is certainly going to help us next season.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know much about him but know he's highly rated so that's a good sign. A shame we're unlikely to see him and Neves together, which sounds like it'd be perfect if we're going to play a '10' in front of two centre mids, but hey ho. This is a start.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 at the back isn't for every game. Some games require 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. It's not a one size fits all league. 5 sub rule is certainly going to help us next season.
For sure, horses for courses as well but would be great to see us be able to use the back 4 again more freely... those games we let ourselves down in towards the end of this season would have made all the difference

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen Palhinha play a few games - well I watch portugese football on BT sport and we have been after him for years now - and I reckon he could fill in for Neves as the CDM.

Not that quick, doesn't have the same range of passing, but tall and athletic. He could be a fans favourite.

However, to move to four at the back we need at least one quick CB, preferably to play alongside Kilman. If we stick with Coady then we will never get out of our own half.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

For sure, horses for courses as well but would be great to see us be able to use the back 4 again more freely... those games we let ourselves down in towards the end of this season would have made all the difference
Agreed.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen Palhinha play a few games - well I watch portugese football on BT sport and we have been after him for years now - and I reckon he could fill in for Neves as the CDM.

Not that quick, doesn't have the same range of passing, but tall and athletic. He could be a fans favourite.

However, to move to four at the back we need at least one quick CB, preferably to play alongside Kilman. If we stick with Coady then we will never get out of our own half.

Still get stomach ache when thinking about Kilman in that one game he played in a four, Southampton at home in the Nuno COVID-19 era. Think we drew 1-1 but crikey the ball got popped behind him about four times and Southampton missed some sitters. Believe him and Boly played together.

Two new centre halves needed if we go to a four, probably. So we'll be playing 343 next season!

Planty

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't know much about him but know he's highly rated so that's a good sign. A shame we're unlikely to see him and Neves together, which sounds like it'd be perfect if we're going to play a '10' in front of two centre mids, but hey ho. This is a start.

In terms of being 'perfect' together you could argue they both lack some pace. Palhinha and a quicker b2b CM who can break the lines with the neves money (+some change) could be good business. Nico Gonzalez looks very good.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Breaks my heart this. When we spent money on Fabio and semedo what we really needed was a bit of aggression and bite in midfield. Why oh why didn't they see this after Seville?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity we can't have Palhinha,Neves and MGW.
Mentioned that in a previous post and would be great imo.

Use Adama transfer funds (and maybe a bit more) on Palinha and that would be a great midfield imo. Palinha the holding midfielder, push Ruben further forward for creativity and MGW the attacking midfielder we desperately need. 2 ‘new’ midfield players (MGW will be like a new signing) with a minimal outlay. Give Mouts a 2 year contract and keep Donk for his versatility.

Only problem would be convincing Ruben to stay!

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Palhinha was instrumental in withdrawing dividends and re-valuing an asset that Sporting can put in this closed season. The performance in the League of Nations can facilitate a transfer of the athlete, who despite being happy with the leonine project and even privileging the family aspect - he will be a father for the first time -, is attentive to a possible proposal that may arise from England. Tottenham is one of the desired clubs, however Spurs have distanced themselves from the player in recent weeks and Bruno Lage's Wolverhampton will be the main interested: Rúben Neves is leaving the club; João Moutinho has not yet renewed for Wolves and Dendoncker is followed by Lazio and a possible sale of the Belgian would allow the entry of more than 20 million that
could be used to reformulate the brains of the English.
At the beginning of December, João Palhinha was the sixth athlete of the club to renew during the season. He has a contract until 2026, but the release clause remained at 60 million euros. Sporting would only start a negotiation from 30 million euros.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
If Palhinha is so good why hasnt he been snapped up by someone in the PL or another European club already? He's not particularly young nor unknown. Just wondering.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Palhinha is so good why hasnt he been snapped up by someone in the PL or another European club already? He's not particularly young nor unknown. Just wondering.
I'm not 100% sure, but going by the rumours last season, he was priced out by Sporting. I think they wanted £40 million for him even though he was available for around £15 million the season before when he went on loan.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Because he won the League in his first season at Sporting and wanted a crack at the Champions League last year.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's not an upgrade on what we have. Neves is better overall and I'd say right now he's similar level to João but a completely different kind of player

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a utopian world-Trincao to swap with Traore , then goes straight to Sporting as a Makeweight in a Palhinha deal? Mendes gets three lots of commission and all teams get the players they may want without having to spend too much?

I know he is raw but Yerson has a bit of pace. Whether he keeps it after his injury we will see. Personally , If Coady stays its a back three next season, which is ok if we have more creativity in midfield and more clinical finishing up top so that requires signings as we dont have enough of either at present.
I am still to be convinced by Gibbs White at top level but that is mainly due to playing him out of position. If we are staying with a 3 then it should be 3-5-2 with MGW in the 10 hole behind Raul and Neto or Neto and a new striker. Ait Nouri and Jonny to fight for the left side and Chiquinho/ Semedo for the right side? Seems a bit of a waste but Chiqinho has looked decent down the right , whereas Hwang has looked awful on either side. He needs to step up in pre season to win fans over. His first touch is poor and his positional sense not much better. It can be done as Fabio showed. He improved a lot in his strength , movement and hold up play this season even if he didnt score. I still think there is something in the Guedes rumour but thats been smouldering for two years or more. Wouldnt be a bad back up as he can play wide or centrally. Again , not a huge scorer and thats our problem. If MGW plays like he has at Sheffield then he might have enough. Needs to cut out the flicks and fancy stuff as it only comes off 1 in 5 and the other 4 times the turnover of possession would kill us in the premier league.

Good to have a few rumours though. Would be nice to get some early business done.

Back
Top Bottom