Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Moutinho Surely Deserves a New 1 or 2 year Contract

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves do seem to do a good job of this, it has to be said.

The way the top professionals take care of themselves these days and with all the sports science, nutrition, improvements in surgical techniques and so on, players can definitely go well into their late 30s. The main problem age causes is loss of pace.
Re your first para Wolves or Nuno? He was close to the players, particularly the Portuguese ones, in a way Lage reportedly is not.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We cannot lose Neves, Donck AND Moutinho in the same window. Madness if we do. I hope they give him what he wants as he's still a very classy player. Also if that makes is impossible to pay wages to the line of incoming Hwangs Sellars has line up... even better.
I agree most of this but not the gratuitous Sellars dig.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A 3 year contract. The first year as a player, and the following 2 years as a coach with a clause which pays him at the higher player rate for any games he plays.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are going into next years planning thinking moutinho will be anything more than an experienced head to have in the squad and around the club we are in deep **** already.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A 3 year contract. The first year as a player, and the following 2 years as a coach with a clause which pays him at the higher player rate for any games he plays.
Not a bad plan... although it means that he will be constantly pushing to play....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a bad plan... although it means that he will be constantly pushing to play....

Which I like, because that’s a strong incentive to continue to stay match fit, as long as he accepts in his heart that over that time he’s going to play less and will eventually stop. It assumes that he wants to make that transition, and wants to stay Iocally for the time being.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If reports are to believed he's paid double Neves' wages.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am fine with him staying if we are signing a couple of central midfielders with some pace to add to quality. Not fine if all we are doing is selling Neves, replacing him and then just having this with Dendoncker and Moutinho. Midfield badly needs a revamp. If Moutinho stays he really shouldnt be starting every week for me. Fresh blood is badly needed in central midfield and has been for a couple of years now.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Moutinho is still a quality player.

What does that even mean? Technically he is the same player. Calm, composed, able to take and rotate possession. A classic car is still a classic car.

However, he cannot get up and down the pitch and when we don’t have the ball (over 50% of pretty much each game we play) other teams destroy our midfield because he doesn’t have legs to chase them all over the pitch.

No amount of quality can make up for that fact.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Get him signed up.

Reduced wages - reduced playing time please. But there should still be an important role for this absolute legend.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get him signed up.

Reduced wages - reduced playing time please. But there should still be an important role for this absolute legend.
If Ruben, God forbid, does go he might just be back in this role, perhaps with a view to getting into coaching too, in 7 or 8 years time....

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know enough about his personality to say if he is coach material. As a player, definitely worth keeping. If that requires a two year deal then so be it. A bird in the hand ..

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Most people seem to be complaining about our style of play. Moutinho dictates the way we play, alongside neves and coady. The backwards passing, playing it safe, getting run past in midfield as we have no pace through the middle. It is a conundrum, they are the heart and soul of the team and everything we have stood for the last 4/5 years but, if we want an end to the last 2 years of negative play then i dont see a place for moutinho in the team going forwards.

T

TheConcourse

Joao average? 144 caps for Portugal, called up again for the next matches and no doubt the world cup. Average is Hwang. JM is class personified, and we need to keep him here for 2 years minimum. Like i have said on another thread, when you are trying to bring youngsters through you need experienced players. Anyone who can't see that does not know football, or life.
Do you really though? I’d say it’s less about experience and more about quality.

I don’t see experience being any sort of metric that is interesting enough to give away £10m over 2 years.

Countless examples of players in our squad with pretty significant levels of experience having bang average seasons. I wouldn’t discount it as not being valuable in some instances, but I wouldn’t place it above quality.

As it goes, I’d like to see Joao stay for another year. At the base of a midfield he’d be fine for us alongside another quality CM.

I’d give him a year, and at £100k a week, or whatever he’s on now, it would be far and beyond what he’s likely to get anywhere in world football.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The question of offering him a new 2 year deal all depends on who we start the season with, playing alongside him, and the system we employ.

I'm not saying he will play every match, but as the list of players looking like they're moving on grows, we need someone level headed, experienced and some continuity.

£5 m a year is nothing compared to a £20-30m transfer and 60-80k a week for an average midfielder and therefor a gamble.

We have bigger issues to worry about than giving him a 2 year deal, this summer.

fleck1

Reaction score
Age is just a number, players like Joao are ultimate professionals and live for the game, they look after their bodies and do their recovery. With the Fosun mantra being buy young and develop to move on, Moutinho can write whatever numbers he wants on that contract. He still has enormous value to the starting XI, but on the flip side what a role model and mentor for all these young players.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Moutinho is still a quality player.
No, he isn't. He has declined every season with Wolves, he has a goal contribution about once every 9 or 10 games, his free kicks and corners are poor and statistically he is a worse player than Josh Brownhill of Burnley.

Reaction score
Most people seem to be complaining about our style of play. Moutinho dictates the way we play, alongside neves and coady. The backwards passing, playing it safe, getting run past in midfield as we have no pace through the middle. It is a conundrum, they are the heart and soul of the team and everything we have stood for the last 4/5 years but, if we want an end to the last 2 years of negative play then i dont see a place for moutinho in the team going forwards.
This, the game against Brighton really showed our lack of legs

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give him 1 year, no way 2years. We need to change things.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

We do on the latter, but having an old experienced head in the dressing room is paramount, particularly as a lot of the old heads seem to be disappearing. 2 year contract with promise of a coaching role would be a no brainer. Remember Joao has 144 caps for his country, and is still an integral part of that set up. He is not ****.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Really concerned with the potential break up of the team with experience and the dressing room spirit. Moutinho maybe getting on but some of his performances have been a joy to watch.

Slighty off topic but we need some leaders to embed in the team for next season and mix the younger players with experience.

D

Deleted member (smith)

But Roma will give him 2 years…we should have completed this ages ago before we let Roma have the opportunity….Italian champions or relegation battle?

Back
Top Bottom